test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Junior Officer Appreciation Weekend (Now Ended)

Comments

• Options
    destoroyahsdestoroyahs Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I got a question.
    Are the doffs you can earn only the base versions you can get from most doff missions or will the pool of available doffs include versions found in like the fleet support and reinforcement packs?
  • Options
    pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tuathaan wrote: »
    Why did PWI advertise the Gamma Quadrant Duty Officer Cadre as eligible for Duty Officer promotions, then exclude it? Very disappointing.

Who is PWI?

And how did they exclude the Gamma pack?

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Who is PWI?

And how did they exclude the Gamma pack?

~CaptainSmirk

He means PWE, and he didn't read your post all the way to the end. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    What about Romulans, do they go faction aligned for their special doff?

And is it the same for particle scanning? I've never run a particle scanning event, not sure if the Rommies have one of their own?

Yes sir, they get their allied factions version.

Go Romulans!

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    dareau wrote: »
    I send no officers to sickbay.

They, through their incompetence, wind up there.

Feds don't have "execute for incompetence". They have sickbay... :P

LoL well said!

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    75 :)

~CaptainSmirk
    Haha. Good one.

Wait, you're serious?

Oh well, won't even bother with this one then.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    jheinig wrote: »
    This mission is essentially set up so that you can decide how much you want to sink time into it, until you get the reward that you want. When you complete scanning 5 particles, you're eligible to earn a random common DOFF. As you finishing scanning more particles, you'll qualify for increasingly better random DOFFs. The DOFF's branch depends on the branch of the cadet that you chose to mentor, so you can decide if you want an Engineering, Science, or Tactical branch DOFF.

Once you've reached the quality level that you like by scanning enough particles, you turn in the particle results to Prof. Meyer or Cmdr. B'Tama and get the DOFF in return. The mission then has a 20-hour cooldown.
    If you scan some particles but don't decide to turn in the mission, don't fret -- the stabilized particles will remain in your inventory for the whole event, so you can come back later to do more scanning if you're intent on picking up that very rare DOFF.

So, if you scan lots of particles, you could potentially pick up a very rare DOFF every day during the event. If you're more of a casual player, you can drop in to scan some particles a few times each day and then pick up a great DOFF at the end, or pick up some more common DOFFs each day with a smaller number of scans.

Behold!

Thanks so much for the clarification :)

You rock!

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    75 :)

~CaptainSmirk

That is a lot of scanning...
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Also, Smirk, I sure hope that you were serious about that statue.

BranFlakes deserves a monument. And a rep project sort of thing, with piles and piles of GPL to donate and maybe a special title for those who contribute...

Would be fun. You could even do it like Kickstarter, and have different tiers of awesomeness for the statue.
  • Options
    schneemann83schneemann83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Up to 75 traces for a purple... isn't that a bit excessive, Cryptic? Given the other means and the associated effort to get purple doffs noticeable lower requirements would seem more appropriate. Please don't kill the event before it even has started... :(
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    toiva wrote: »
    Now imagine doing that daily with over 20 other people running around the academy, all of them wanting to get to the closest particle before others... Just recall how did it all look during the Anniversary event and multiply it by 15...

Yeah, no... If it's anything like the original particle scan then it's just too much to ask. Scanning 75 of those may even take an hour or more. And that's assuming you do the scanning correctly (afair you could fail in the original version if you picked the wrong option). And I doubt anyone would call running around and pressing F for an hour "fun".

But that's Cryptic's new model for you - no fun allowed, you've got to WORK for your rewards by engaging in tedious tasks.

Should the number of scans required for a purple doff be lowered then I could understand it. As it is though it's just not worth the time and effort.

Well, at least there will still be the good old free doffs to claim for people with new characters. That's always something I guess.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    Now imagine doing that daily with over 20 other people running around the academy, all of them wanting to get to the closest particle before others... Just recall how did it all look during the Anniversary event and multiply it by 15...

Yeah, no... If it's anything like the original particle scan then it's just too much to ask. Scanning 75 of those may even take an hour or more. And that's assuming you do the scanning correctly (afair you could fail in the original version if you picked the wrong option). And I doubt anyone would call running around and pressing F for an hour "fun".

But that's Cryptic's new model for you - no fun allowed, you've got to WORK for your rewards by engaging in tedious tasks.

Should the number of scans required for a purple doff be lowered then I could understand it. As it is though it's just not worth the time and effort.

Well, at least there will still be the good old free doffs to claim for people with new characters. That's always something I guess.

You didn't read the rest of the posts did you? You do not have to do it all at once. You can gather up a bunch over the event and when you're ready, turn them in.

Besides, this is nothing compared to the old one. NOTHING.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    You didn't read the rest of the posts did you? You do not have to do it all at once. You can gather up a bunch over the event and when you're ready, turn them in.

This.

Oh, my god, the old particle event...
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This mission is essentially set up so that you can decide how much you want to sink time into it, until you get the reward that you want. When you complete scanning 5 particles, you're eligible to earn a random common DOFF. As you finishing scanning more particles, you'll qualify for increasingly better random DOFFs. The DOFF's branch depends on the branch of the cadet that you chose to mentor, so you can decide if you want an Engineering, Science, or Tactical branch DOFF.

Once you've reached the quality level that you like by scanning enough particles, you turn in the particle results to Prof. Meyer or Cmdr. B'Tama and get the DOFF in return. The mission then has a 20-hour cooldown.
    If you scan some particles but don't decide to turn in the mission, don't fret -- the stabilized particles will remain in your inventory for the whole event, so you can come back later to do more scanning if you're intent on picking up that very rare DOFF.

So, if you scan lots of particles, you could potentially pick up a very rare DOFF every day during the event. If you're more of a casual player, you can drop in to scan some particles a few times each day and then pick up a great DOFF at the end, or pick up some more common DOFFs each day with a smaller number of scans.

Interesting that you have mechanics like this in place.

I've been saying for a couple of years now after playing Coliseum and thinking back to a college roommate who played Hercules' arena in Kingdom Hearts that I'd like a melee arena like this as a means of getting melee weapons.

The one proviso I'd make is that I'd love that as a permanent event... and if you die, well, you don't get credit for a tier and you have to fight another tier to get credit. So, basically, losses don't work against you or end the game but only rounds with no player deaths advance the count which means you have to clear a round and complete another to advance the count.

I suppose one real question with this is how it would be social or qualify as group content but with a bit of polish on it, maybe you could have players queue to be in the bleachers and betting on the outcome of fights. Maybe shouting cheers and jeers that act as buffs or debuffs on the gladiator player and enemies.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yep seems more like this years plans are to try to get some new player base. This one and the one before it went f2p wanted decent content since it would take up too much of their time they are just re-running events from before nothing really new this year lol(except new nerfs lol).
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Academy particle scanning events are now part of the Junior Officer Appreciation Event! Visit Starfleet Academy or Klingon Academy during the event and speak to Professor Meyer or Commander B’Tama. Pick a cadet to train, then engage in scanning particles all about the academy grounds. As you scan and capture particles you’ll help to train the cadet, and in exchange your faction will release a new random Duty Officer to you. The more particles you scan, the better the quality of the officer you can claim!
    • Scan a minimum of 5 traces traces to be rewarded a Common Duty Officer
    • Scan a minimum of 25 traces traces to be rewarded a Uncommon Duty Officer
    • Scan a minimum of 50 traces traces to be rewarded a Rare Duty Officer
    • Scan a minimum of 75 traces traces to be rewarded a Very Rare Duty Officer
    How often do the particle traces drop?

Will there be a timer?
    Yep seems more like this years plans are to try to get some new player base. This one and the one before it went f2p wanted decent content since it would take up too much of their time they are just re-running events from before nothing really new this year lol(except new nerfs lol).
    Majority of season nine looks like aesthetic and system revamps. Even though we are getting a new rep system and associated missions, the majority of next season's content is 'revamped old stuff with a twist'. All of those Undine and Borg revamped missions will lose their luster within a week.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

What does this change, exactly? I still think that's a lot of running around the academy (which I rarely visit) for a single random purple doff. Especially considering all the other methods of obtaining very rare doffs that don't require such effort.

I also wonder why people get so defensive about all those grindy events lately. Because even though I get the idea of having players do something to EARN their rewards, even multiple times for several days, I am really sick of all the tedious tasks that seem like WORK.
    For example, I am fine with playing a 15 minute PvE mission once a day for two weeks, but I honestly hate all the other stuff that's hardly related to the main gameplay, like the winter race, party patrol, superman 64 on Risa and such.
    And as I've said, it doesn't matter if it's 5 interactions or 75 interactions per day - running around and pressing F is NOT fun for me. I cannot imagine anyone logging into the game and saying "oh gee I've got an hour to play STO and I so want to keep scanning particles around the academy instead of playing any other actual content in the game".
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    What does this change, exactly? I still think that's a lot of running around the academy (which I rarely visit) for a single random purple doff. Especially considering all the other methods of obtaining very rare doffs that don't require such effort.
    You hit the nail on the head.

Keyword is 'random'.

If we were able to choose a specific duty officer, I think the event would have some type of allure.

Junior Officer Appreciation Weekend is a major billboard advertisement.

...and, your reward is 'randomized'.
    ...and in exchange your faction will release a new random Duty Officer to you
    You put the time and effort into the game, and your reward is generated by an algorithm.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    You hit the nail on the head.

Keyword is 'random'.

If we were able to choose a specific duty officer, I think the event would have some type of allure.

Junior Officer Appreciation Weekend is a major billboard advertisement.

...and, your reward is 'randomized'.

No guarantees.
    Otherwise everyone would grind for purple Technicians and put them on the exchange immediatelly. :P

Still, I can do several doff missions that reward random duty officers in a 10th of the time that I'd need to scan 75 particles around the academy. Not to mention, I could spend that time earning EC/dlithium and buying the doff I want straight out...
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Otherwise everyone would grind for purple Technicians and put them on the exchange immediatelly. :P
    So, why even bother with something like this? If its easier to get the doffs through other means, why play the 'random' lottery for purple doffs?

Players have more control by working through the duty officer missions.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    So, why even bother with something like this? If its easier to get the doffs through other means, why play the 'random' lottery for purple doffs?

Players have more control by working through the duty officer missions.
    That's my point. The mission is a waste of time with its current particle requirements. One could argue otherwise if the activity was at least fun, but from what I gather it's nothing but running around and pressing F.

So, yeah, personally I won't even bother and will spend that time getting some bonus CXP to exchange for Fleet Marks.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Behold, purple engineering doffs will rain this weekend. Free EC for everyone, come and get it!
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You should put the questions answered in this thread into an FAQ at the bottom of the blog post. :)

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    jack24bau3rjack24bau3r Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The DOFFs are randomly-chosen DOFFs of the specified faction and branch. They do not have new, special abilities, but this is a great way to get, say, a couple of very rare science DOFFs if you're short on those for the assignments you usually run. Basically it's like getting a random DOFF through recruitment, except that you can pick the rarity as well as the branch.

Which pools or pool of doffs will the rng pull from?

Standard?

Reinforcement?

Fleet Support?

Fleet base?

Survivor pack?

Any combination of the above?

Are you the new doff dev?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    toiva wrote: »
    Actually, it's not that much, at least not compared to the old Academy event. That one required you to get 120 for the max teir prize.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Actually, it's not that much, at least not compared to the old Academy event. That one required you to get 120 for the max teir prize.

Oh, god, that event.....

I still twitch when I think of it. So. Much. Work.

And for such a little reward...

Now that I have a couple fleet consoles and a pile of protonic polaron MK 12 purples on my Scimitar, and I know how to pull and DPS and tank with it at the same time (seriously, Scimitars are gloriously OP), I can get five times the rewards in the same time with Borg ESTFs.

(Also, my Scimitar can solo Borg cubes on elite if I get a couple good crits and I time my buffs and heals right. Just sayin')
  • Options
    jack24bau3rjack24bau3r Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Will the particles remain in your inventory after the event ends?

Will the contact to get the doffs exist after the event ends?
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Receive a FREE* special Purple quality duty officer with a unique active roster power by speaking with your duty officer contact. For Starfleet officers, this is a new engineering Exocomp duty officer; for KDF officers, it is a Reman duty officer.

You know there is a third faction in the game, it would be nice if you would start supporting it properly for events like this. And why are KDF getting Remans, who don't belong to their faction?
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    reximuz wrote: »
    You know there is a third faction in the game, it would be nice if you would start supporting it properly for events like this. And why are KDF getting Remans, who don't belong to their faction?
    Pretty much this.

Fed have this, KDf have that, and Romulan ? Who are they ?

Sure I get it, we will have the allied faction doff. But it would have been nice of you to mention that.

I know Romulan were a one time only money grab, but you could pretend they exist. That would be nice.

Anyway, thank you, I'm going to take the DOFF on my Romulan.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.