test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #5: Changes to Reputation Powers

Comments

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Now I will limited to 4 active abilities.

Now that you bring it up, we get 4 passive space slots, plus 4 active ones. Doesn't that seem a mite lob-sided? Passive abilities generally outnumber Active abilities (or 'Activatable' ones, as I saw a dev once call them) 2:1. Something like 6 passives + 2 actives seems far more reasonable. Or 5:3 even.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    People have been talking about power creep for a long time, certainly there were those that were quite happy with things as they were but most were clamoring for some kind of change. Clearly Cryptic saw that there was enough of a majority pushing for this kind of change that they felt it was necessary. There is a lot of turmoil at the moment, but I don't think it's so much about what is perceived to be being lost as it's to it being different and people are naturally resistant to change. I imagine that, given time, people will get used to it and it will just become another normal part of the game, but I will be blunt in saying that if these changes result in few epeen metagamers leaving, I'm not going to consider that a great loss to the community.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »
    People have been talking about power creep for a long time, certainly there were those that were quite happy with things as they were but most were clamoring for some kind of change. Clearly Cryptic saw that there was enough of a majority pushing for this kind of change that they felt it was necessary. There is a lot of turmoil at the moment, but I don't think it's so much about what is perceived to be being lost as it's to it being different and people are naturally resistant to change. I imagine that, given time, people will get used to it and it will just become another normal part of the game, but I will be blunt in saying that if these changes result in few epeen metagamers leaving, I'm not going to consider that a great loss to the community.

Sadly. I don't see a power creep. I see good players and elite players. I see people who spent some time learning the mechanics of the game and taking advantage it. The other group I see are too lazy to get to that level and complained about the other group.

When I played Kerrat, I got tired of getting blown up. So, I joined a fleet and they shown me the inner mechanics and how to work it. So, I had to build my ship for a specific role to work around certain mechanics (wiki pages, youtube, videos, etc.) I had to do homework. So, do you call that a power creep???
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I posted this on the Tribble feedback but I thought I'd post it here too. If that's a problem, a mod can delete this or whatever.

I decided to load up Tribble and see what I'd end up picking. This is pretty much what every damage oriented build will select:

Tier 2 Dyson (+20% critical damage), tier 2 Romulan (+5% critical hit chance), tier 2 Omega (10% damage) and tier 2 8472 (+3% accuracy on activation of a tactical boff power).

Floating in orbit of ESD (this build, 125 wep, no boff/other abilities active):

Holodeck:
    1474 DPS - Elite Fleet Dual Heavy Phaser Cannons Mk XII [acc]x2 [dmg] (tooltip)
    19.3 - CrtH
    86.8 - CrtD

Tribble (with above rep traits spec'ed, shield penetration used as an non-boosting placeholder):
    1537 DPS - Elite Fleet Dual Heavy Phaser Cannons Mk XII [acc]x2 [dmg] (tooltip)
    21.3 - CrtH
    96.8 - CrtD

Anyone else see a problem? Every new person will be told, don't grind past tier 2 of a given rep if you only ever plan on doing PvE. The only advantage of going all the way to tier 5 will be active powers. But none of them are that good.

So this change means more DPS which is more powercreep. And future reps will have to be better than previous reps so that people actually grind them. This change does little to actually address the disparity of power between vets and new players.

Finally, for PvP's sake, please make it so players cannot switch rep passives at will in any zone where PvP combat takes place. This system will be the newest exploit. If you, the devs, felt that switching consoles was a problem, then surely this constitutes a similar problem.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    fatman592 wrote: »
    I decided to load up Tribble and see what I'd end up picking. This is pretty much what every damage oriented build will select:

Tier 2 Dyson (+20% critical damage), tier 2 Romulan (+5% critical hit chance), tier 2 Omega (10% damage) and tier 2 8472 (+3% accuracy on activation of a tactical boff power).

Yup; so, all hull regens, shield system fortification, it'll be all gone. Or be available on an either/or basis, depending on your POV.
    The only advantage of going all the way to tier 5 will be active powers. But none of them are that good.

Yeah. A cloak I can use every 10 minutes (and already have on my Rom), not that spectacular. Nukara thingy, cute gimmick, but no more than that.
    And future reps will have to be better than previous reps so that people actually grind them.

Ay, there's the rub. Cuz, indeed, they'll have to be better. But 'better' equates to 'creep' these days; so ppl will just start crying for a nerf again.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Yeah. A cloak I can use every 10 minutes (and already have on my Rom), not that spectacular. Nukara thingy, cute gimmick, but no more than that.

Its been 5 mins for awhile now. Just saying. Not that I find it super useful either... not for pve. Then I don't find I really need much of anything for STO pve.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
    edited March 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Yup; so, all hull regens, shield system fortification, it'll be all gone. Or be available on an either/or basis, depending on your POV.

Ay, there's the rub. Cuz, indeed, they'll have to be better. But 'better' equates to 'creep' these days; so ppl will just start crying for a nerf again.

Actually, that cloak gimmick is good. If you have the right build you can fire while normally cloaking and uncloaking. Add that gimmick, it gives you at least 10 to 15 seconds of firing while cloak in addition. Also, the Nukara Tetryon Cascade is good, I can flatline a player group of hanger pets in one shot.

I won't be able to use it tho once this new reputation system goes online.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Antonio, I don't know how you argue with these teenagers.
    edited March 2014
    Actually, that cloak gimmick is good. If you have the right build you can fire while normally cloaking and uncloaking. Add that gimmick, it gives you at least 10 to 15 seconds of firing while cloak in addition. Also, the Nukara Tetryon Cascade is good, I can flatline a player group of hanger pets in one shot.

I won't be able to use it tho once this new reputation system goes online.

As it stands on Tribble: you get 4 space passives, 4 ground passives and 4 clicky (tier 5) powers.

So I had the 4 reps I listed above and all 4 tier 5 passives. Tier 5 8472 rep gives a new space power, which is terrible, but i'll use anyway because that's one more space clickly thing. More is more, right?
    edited March 2014
    As it stands on Tribble: you get 4 space passives, 4 ground passives and 4 clicky (tier 5) powers.

So I had the 4 reps I listed above and all 4 tier 5 passives. Tier 5 8472 rep gives a new space power, which is terrible, but i'll use anyway because that's one more space clickly thing. More is more, right?

Want to know something funny? People told me to check it out on Tribble. I loaded Tribble and transfered my account. When I logged in the reputation was 0 for all of them and nothing unlocked. So, I can't test it.

I'm going go back to my original thought, TRIBBLE Cryptic. They are putting something out that some players can't even test to provide feedback.Take away from veterans in the name balance to cater to certain people and to learn Cryptic up for more $$$.

I would of accepted up to 8/8/5(current reps) but basically. Whoever says I'm just working myself up.

I tried Tribble and that was a no go. Thank Cryptic so I can go back to normal. I tried.

I can't even see my ship properly on Tribble and the Earth Spacedock looks nice but a joke. I wanted to transport out of the thing in a minute.
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Interesting stuff in that blog, and it's doubly interesting that the "respec" will be free (one question on that: is that free forever, or free for the first time you want to respec?).

Giving players a choice is a good thing. Thanks for the change anyway.

Really? where do you see this happening? It's a change, not a "nerf." Changes don't automatically mean a "nerf," you know.

...but...so all those hours/days/weeks...EC/Dilithium...to get more powerful enough to fight the new enemys will now be taken back because people who didnt put in the time and dil, or are new to the grind arent caught up??

...."Working..." ....hmm, so if I understand this correctly, we are being held back from our achievements because of noobs and bench warmers feel they shouldnt have to grind to get to where we did..?? Wow, this is....I cant think of a word for it, so I'll just call it unfair on an epic level! heh, and I was so concerned with getting all those toons leveled in their tiers, what a waste of time and money. (crys =T.T=)

...if I missed or misunderstood something please explain it to me, because this is depressing...while the new paint job look unreal, the other stuff is killing the game... =T.T=
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    i thought they where zero but the powers are there for the first 4 reps undine is the only oen they do not give powers for off the bat

even my KDF that has no rep unlocks can use the older reps powers

you need to go to the trait tab on the paperdoll screen to get to them
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
    edited March 2014
    gpgtx wrote: »
    i thought they where zero but the powers are there for the first 4 reps undine is the only oen they do not give powers for off the bat

even my KDF that has no rep unlocks can use the older reps powers

you need to go to the trait tab on the paperdoll screen to get to them

Ah. That's a stupid process. It's stupid is to get regular traits mixed in with reputation skills or buffs.

It should be separate to be clear. I can imagine people being so lost. Although this 4/4/4 thing is highly robbery.in itself.
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've seen a number of people call this change out specifically, we'll take another look at it or at the base adapt mechanic.

A suggestion that may or may not be any good regarding this, is that the [Borg] modifier might end up changed to an auto-rotate modifier or something along those lines. It would automatically and VERY rapidly rotate the frequencies after the first or second adapted shot.

Just a suggestion off the top of my head.
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Want to know something funny? People told me to check it out on Tribble. I loaded Tribble and transfered my account. When I logged in the reputation was 0 for all of them and nothing unlocked. So, I can't test it.

I'm going go back to my original thought, TRIBBLE Cryptic. They are putting something out that some players can't even test to provide feedback.Take away from veterans in the name balance to cater to certain people and to learn Cryptic up for more $$$.

I would of accepted up to 8/8/5(current reps) but basically. Whoever says I'm just working myself up.

I tried Tribble and that was a no go. Thank Cryptic so I can go back to normal. I tried.

I can't even see my ship properly on Tribble and the Earth Spacedock looks nice but a joke. I wanted to transport out of the thing in a minute.
    So, you didn't think to go to Drozana to use the Testing Console there and test the Reputation changes? Also, for your information, Reputations and the like are never transferred from Holodeck to Tribble and vice versa. Tribble's a whole different server.

With regard to not having the Reputations on Tribble, any unsuspecting player would have had the forethought to actually ask what should be done if one were wanting to test the Reputation changes. So, you going back to your original thought of saying "TRIBBLE Cryptic" is, well, invalid, since you didn't test the changes, and you made the mistake of not asking where to go to get the necessary items needed for testing.

Blaming Cryptic isn't the answer, either.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited March 2014

I think the vets are no longer of any concern to them in PWE, they appreciate im sure the ones who continue to "Pay and Obey" but their focus is on the low expectation new comers, who didnt get a chance to experience and enjoy a pre ARC STO, so it doesnt bother them. Those players are the ones they are after! Not us...they already have our money.
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ah. That's a stupid process. It's stupid is to get regular traits mixed in with reputation skills or buffs.

It should be separate to be clear. I can imagine people being so lost. Although this 4/4/4 thing is highly robbery.in itself.

it is separate. in that tab there are now 4 sections normal traits, space rep traits, ground rep traits, and the active clicky traits. the rep traits have a bar that you fill in the normal traits work as they did before
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Just to clarify some points.

"You still have the same powers as before." is a half-true talking point. Yes, you still have the same powers as before, but you can't use them in the same fashion as you did before. So, no. You do not have the same powers as before if you can't use them the same way you did before. You can't hack off someone's arm and say they can still grab and use things because they still have another arm and it's the same as having the same mobility and capability as before, even if that arm is going to get 'buffed' since it's the only arm they have now (even if they can choose which arm they want to have dismembered and reattached at any time), therefore things are better than before. But I'm going to go ahead and say I'd rather have my two arms I had previously.

This is why I propose a two-part system instead of a one-part system. Instead of having an 'active rep power' UI, there should be an equal UI to counterbalance it with the powers you earned, used to be able to use, but can no longer use.

Like with the doff system. You have active doffs, but once they're off-duty they stop giving a buff. I'd suggest giving our inactive traits additional benefits or abiities, no matter how miniscule or trivial they are (they are inactive, after all). I would like to have all the powers I earned. I am okay with them being nerfed. I am even okay with only have a few active at a time. But the ones that are inactive are still powers I earned under the auspice they were always 'on'.

Also, because I think I've been too scathing, I would like to sincerely add that this rep system change is not as much of a public relations fiasco as the dilithium conversion or the Galaxy-X Recruitment Reward.

Even if this still smacks of punishing veteran players for being 'too successful' in the same way the dilithium conversion did. Even though it is blatantly Cryptic's fault for letting it get to that point to begin with, and we shouldn't be punished for Cryptic's lack of foresight.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Guy, guys, there is no powercreep in this game.

It is just a needed, much needed boost we get to face the undine.

They are harder on normal than borg or voth is on elite.

Challange there for you.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
    edited March 2014
    gpgtx wrote: »
    it is separate. in that tab there are now 4 sections normal traits, space rep traits, ground rep traits, and the active clicky traits. the rep traits have a bar that you fill in the normal traits work as they did before

I seen that. The thing which was unclear was on the right. The Reputation Skill stuff and what was the normal Trait stuff should not be put together. It looked like a cluster of a mess.

and yes, saying it again. TRIBBLE you Cryptic for limiting what I earned to play at any time. You did not even let me use even close to all of them. You coiuld have let me choose which new ones I want to swap out with the newer reputation system. Directed towards, Cryptic. TRIBBLE ..... fill in whateve blanks wherever you want.
    edited March 2014
    catstarsto wrote: »
    I think the vets are no longer of any concern to them in PWE, they appreciate im sure the ones who continue to "Pay and Obey" but their focus is on the low expectation new comers, who didnt get a chance to experience and enjoy a pre ARC STO, so it doesnt bother them. Those players are the ones they are after! Not us...they already have our money.

That might be true. It seems Cryptic, now only concern, is the "Pay to Obey" crowd.. Which sucks.. In short run it boost Cryptic profit but longetivity it creates the whole "Made Cheap for the No brainer" motto company mentality.
    edited March 2014
    So, you didn't think to go to Drozana to use the Testing Console there and test the Reputation changes? Also, for your information, Reputations and the like are never transferred from Holodeck to Tribble and vice versa. Tribble's a whole different server.

With regard to not having the Reputations on Tribble, any unsuspecting player would have had the forethought to actually ask what should be done if one were wanting to test the Reputation changes. So, you going back to your original thought of saying "TRIBBLE Cryptic" is, well, invalid, since you didn't test the changes, and you made the mistake of not asking where to go to get the necessary items needed for testing.

Blaming Cryptic isn't the answer, either.

Im going try Drozana but frankly 4 passive and 4 active is a decrease no matter how you look at it. So, me saying Crypstic is bs. That it is a money hungry company catering "Pay to Obey" is not wrong. I can saw TRIBBLE .... Cryptic.. However I want.

Because frankly, the basic thing that is happening. They are nerfing what players spent time to earn. In the name balance or a black veil.
    edited March 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Guy, guys, there is no powercreep in this game.

It is just a needed, much needed boost we get to face the undine.

They are harder on normal than borg or voth is on elite.

Challange there for you.

Can't tell if your post is sarcastic or not...

I guess I'm super OP then. I flew around the Undine Battlezone on Tribble and steamrolled any Undine I encountered. I honestly think Mirandas/Centaurs last longer in a Mirror Invasion normal.
    edited March 2014

I guess I'm super OP then. I flew around the Undine Battlezone on Tribble and steamrolled any Undine I encountered. I honestly think Mirandas/Centaurs last longer in a Mirror Invasion normal.

Oh my gosh that is so unfair! Half your passive traits needs to be taken away because you can do that. It's better to do away with your passive traits to maybe 10%.
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    patrickngo wrote: »
    To be honest, I think the Devs probably SHOULD make you actually CHOOSE which passives you'll keep. I think it'd be better for the game over-all.

but making you CHOOSE which ones you're going to be using that day? well...it's a start.

see, it actually means your CHOICES have importance to your game-play, as in just spending and spamming isn't going to be enough, you'll have to actually consider what you're going to use in a given situation.

and you'll have to figure out it out BEFORE you go into combat.

whether that's ESTF, Event, or PvP, it means adding a layer of actual strategy to what you're doing with your toon...which is, I believe, better for the over-all health of the game than just feeding the cheesmonster power creep and sucking up to the entitled no-lifers out there.

Making extra choices available to players is a good thing.

Requiring players to make choices is less of a good thing - I would go so far as to say, a bad thing. I've said it before, and I will say it now: I do not play this game to fiddle around for ages with number-crunching and set-ups and load-outs. That is Accounting, not Fun.

When the required choice is "Which of your hard-earned abilities do you want to lose for the next mission?", that sucks, royally. If you want to set a powers cap, fine, I can see the sense of that. Setting it below a level people have already reached, though, is Not On.

If this makes me an entitled no-lifer, then so be it.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014

The hard stuff in battlezone is the bosses. Otherwise its just spawns spawning too fast and interrupting the "progression bar" of your activating tasks.

Its the Undine Planetary assault that is hard. And I'm not sarcasting. That mission is bugged I think, there I struggled hard on normal and finished the mission in one hour. And got 18 marks. Lol.

The same build on holodeck can kill a borg cube under 10 seconds. The Vicious cycle is hard, hard as elite Into hive, but its doable and fun.

The Planetary assault? If you are not an A2b scimitar with Faw, than you should not que for this mission. If you use non beam arrays, dont que.

Which is bad for new content, since it should be playable by non A2B Faw beam array builds.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
    edited March 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    The hard stuff in battlezone is the bosses. Otherwise its just spawns spawning too fast and interrupting the "progression bar" of your activating tasks.

Its the Undine Planetary assault that is hard. And I'm not sarcasting. That mission is bugged I think, there I struggled hard on normal and finished the mission in one hour.

The same build on holodeck can kill a borg cube under 10 seconds. The Vicious cycle is hard, hard as elite Into hive, but its doable and fun.

The Planetary assault? If you are not an A2b scimitar with Faw, than you should not que for this mission. If you use non beam arrays, dont que.

Which is bad for new content, since it should be playable by non A2B Faw beam array builds.

I figured it out to use. So, non-tribble my critical severity hits 81% percent without the weapons critical severity added. Now with the tribble server, I hit 103% critical severity without the weapons severity. So, this new system I think I can push 35% critical chance, with 140% critical severity.

Now people say me complaining is bad to limit the active traits/passive to what the reputation system is now without Cryptic buffing. It gives more variety and limits future so called power creeps.

So, here I say again, Cryptic lacks competence and are money hungry.
  • urmuz1urmuz1 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The change has its merits but there is one thing that really intrigues me. We can change the passives any time out of combat which is great but we can only play either space or ground, making 4 passives at any given time totally unusefull. We will, with the 5th reputation,have a maximum number of 20 ground passives and 20 space passives Any player cand have 2 reps made up to tier 2 and have all their passive traits filled. Or 4 reps till tier 2 and double the options.
    It would be more reasonable and fair to make those 8 traits unbound to ground and space. Player alreade have the option to make more characters and most of the decide from the start if one chararacter is fully space oriented or fullly ground. Some players enjoy only ground or only space; imposing on them to chose passives that they don't like is not a very popular move. Giving them 8 unversal passivei traits covers all needs, and all of them could be put to use at any stage of the gameplay.
    It only takes 4 reps at tier 2 to either have a full gound or a full space passive layout.
    Not an ARC user
  • dathranselanedathranselane Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Eventually the same 5-10 people screaming incessantly about this change will run out of steam, and we can all get on with our lives. It's not the end of the world. Being slightly less powerful than 'incredibly powerful' will still be more than enough to get the job done without breaking a sweat.
    edited March 2014
    urmuz1 wrote: »
    The change has its merits but there is one thing that really intrigues me. We can change the passives any time out of combat which is great but we can only play either space or ground, making 4 passives at any given time totally unusefull. We will, with the 5th reputation,have a maximum number of 20 ground passives and 20 space passives Any player cand have 2 reps made up to tier 2 and have all their passive traits filled. Or 4 reps till tier 2 and double the options.
    It would be more reasonable and fair to make those 8 traits unbound to ground and space. Player alreade have the option to make more characters and most of the decide from the start if one chararacter is fully space oriented or fullly ground. Some players enjoy only ground or only space; imposing on them to chose passives that they don't like is not a very popular move. Giving them 8 unversal passivei traits covers all needs, and all of them could be put to use at any stage of the gameplay.
    It only takes 4 reps at tier 2 to either have a full gound or a full space passive layout.

Cryptic had two better options make it 8/8/4 or 10 universal/4. Still they choose the less popular route 4/4/4. Putting it on a server dish expecting everyone to be okay or happy. No matter how many reputations they add it still would be capped.

Honestly, they players complained about power creep. After accessing it on Tribble I notice I can take my insane build and make it more insane courtesy of Cryptic. Now, if there was a problem make it faster for regular players to reputation system and make some content harder. Most of the complainers was casual players who wouldn't spend much time on Star Trek Online anyway.

Cryptic lack the insight for both. Honestly, this is like punishing a veteran and giving a new player candy so they stop crying. The childs grows a little older. You give them a Porsche when they haven't had there bang-it-up car first. It's just a bad move overall.
This discussion has been closed.