test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is this game in it's death throes by any chance?

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    im talking about you as your have posted you age and that you retried to on these forums
    I am 49. I am certain I have posted that other times on the forum. I have been retired since I was 42.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited February 2014
    He's referring to the person you see when you are alone and you look in the mirror. :rolleyes:

The flame fires are getting hot in this thread. I predict this threads doom is near!!
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    That number is grossly inaccurate if using the number of downloads to compare to customer population. I've downloaded ARC close to a dozen times to claim freebies then uninstalled it immediately.

ya and that why i thought it was for all their games because you could not pay me to believe that 2mill play sto on regular basis and we still get content updates every 6 or so months imo took just as long as under Atari
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The presence of time gates and currency grinding leads me to believe that the whales keeping STO afloat are not paying into the game enough or PWE has decided they want more then what they're already getting for this game. Normally, chasing whales (the ~5% who spend lots of money) is what keeps F2P viable, since most casual players won't be spending much--if anything--in the cash shop. But with STO, which I imagine has a loyal IP fanbase with its own whales, the constant grind creep has me suspicious: Why would they need to design "pain" features--systems that make the game annoying enough to encourage micropayments--with every major update?
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I am 49. I am certain I have posted that other times on the forum. I have been retired since I was 42.

Just curious. Planned Retirement or Forced Retirement?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Somewhat forced. :) I sold my company to a larger corporation. The sales agreement included a 10-year covenant not to compete clause. I thought about starting a different business but my wife and I were expanding our family, and since she is a partner in a law firm I decided retiring and staying home with the children would work out just as well for both of us. It gives me plenty of time to game and just enjoy my retirement. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    lordvalecortezlordvalecortez Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    starkaos wrote: »

He could be retired military. Go in at 18, and in theory you could be retired after 20 years at 38. A few extra years doesn't hurt. Unless he was an officer, then he probably started at 22 after getting his degree. 22+20=42.

My money is on officer. They get some fancy paychecks after all that time in.
    Cheers from Antonio Valerio Cortez III, Half-Celestial Archduke of the Free Marches Confederacy.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    He could be retired military. Go in at 18, and in theory you could be retired after 20 years at 38. A few extra years doesn't hurt. Unless he was an officer, then he probably started at 22 after getting his degree. 22+20=42.

My money is on officer. They get some fancy paychecks after all that time in.
    I was not in the military but I have a cousin about the same age who retired a Lt. Colonel/0-5 after 25 years. I think he makes around $7,000.00 per month from his retirement.
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Just read all 11 pages, brought a tear to my eye.

I just got inspired to make a new sig, "I Survived Star Trek Online's YEAR OF HELL DROUGHT"

Quoting Harry Kim, its not the destination, but the journey... more tears.

I have a HUGE screensaver slideshow of STO screenshots from my STO careers since 2010. My screen saver always inspires me to Boldly Go once again. STO is my first and only MMO. Im only here for the story, not the grind.

The OPs plight gave me an idea: an Academy Instructor Reputation. Yeah, I hate reps and havnt finished one on any of my toons. I just dont grind. I have NEVER STFd because I feel Im not well geared enough, and refuse to grind Elite STFs and lockbox my way to high end gear. And Ive learned long ago I dont need to be buffed with max gear to play the story missions, which is all Im here for.

But what if I was TRICKED into LOVING grind? Remember that FIRST time you were leveling up, and you would see other captains with stronger ships in your level bracket, and they could mow through those Klingon bas T ards? I admired them. They were my heroes as I rose through the ranks. What if I could earn TOP END gear being the hero to noobs?

So we have the new calendar system. What if one weekend was also a weekend that SUPER BUFFED the loot on the lower PvE stuff like Breaking the Planet, Big Dig, etc. On those weekends, anyone Captain and up could pull their older ships out of mothballs, and go slumming with the noobs. As it is now, I have a few old ships in mothballs that are totally gutted and their equipment sold off long ago. But give me a fun reason to pull that ship out, max gear it up for the lower levels, and show the noobs how its done, Id LOVE that. This goes for Ground missions as well.

For Academy Instructor weekends, we see all the lower level queues opened up. We can go to the early bracket queues, or the mid level queues, and fill them up with strong veteran leadership so the real STO noobs or STO veterans leveling up a poor alt can get through that content faster and check it off their lists and help them unlock the things those joint PvE missions unlock. But we wouldnt be gunning for the same gear. We'd be playing the SAME mission, but on TWO different loot tables. The REAL lower level players fight it out for a top Tac reward, Top Sci reward, and Top Eng reward. If you are a noob and the only sci that showed up, KA-CHING. The academy instructors vie for the Top Tac, Eng, or Sci as well, but our reward is either good dilithium, or a choice of any marks to go into any other rep, no restrictions.

Meaning I could spend ALL my time being an Instructor, with bigger Instructor paydays on bonus Instructor weekends, and earn the BEST Borg, etc gear. But there would be diminishing returns. I could play on Normal difficulty, but earn Elite difficulty gear as if I played an elite STF. If I was an Instructor playing on normal difficulty, I could earn Elite stuff 40% slower per mission minute than actually playing an Elite difficulty mission. This lets me use old Mark VI gear on an Exeter or something, and get the same gear as if I had a high mark VA ship in an STF. Casuals like me, we need another access point to that elite gear without waiting to BE fully equipped with elite gear from the very missions that scare our poorly geared young officer captains.

It helps lower tiered players by filling up their queues at least one weekend a month, or a midweek Tue - Thur bonus period once a month, and it gives ALL players more reasons to buy, love, value, and PLAY their older Tiered ships they RAPIDLY outgrew. Some of my old ships have a short gallant history. I want MORE reasons to make a name for those ships, without relying on random teaming with friends or fleets and going down to their level in single player content. This game REALLY needs a system like this. Id have bought and enjoyed an Exeter if I knew I had a good reason to keep it well equipped for its Tier level and enough opportunities to take her out of starbase, go out, and MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The game called them that not me, they had tutorial written on them in green lettering, I think they were given to me by two officers on Station K-7

during gameplay there are often missions that pop up and ask to be taken, these are often not essential to play so can be rejected.
    the only missions I ever concentrated on were the ones that you see if you click the hail Starfleet icon bottom left of your mini map and select the episode tab.
    if you keep an eye on these missions and check what missions are coming up next any that are not on this list can be rejected.

there are some missions in the story lines that are beneficial to be played in a team simply because they have certain optional objectives that can only be performed by certain characters they usually have a thing that says optional tactical: or science: ect. but the only real advantage of having a team here is you get certain accolades for completing these optional objectives, they are not crucial to completing the mission so they can be ignored if you cant perform them yourself.

I liked the quote below so much I desided to add it as my signature, that's my outlook on the way I play the game in a nutshell.:)

don't get me wrong though, there are some players who spend a considerable amount of money just so they can convert it to dilithium to donate to their fleet or buy gear for their characters and such, if they are happy to do this then I am not going to knock them for wanting to progress quickly, their money is the lifeblood of the game and is what helps the game keep afloat, good luck to them.
    its good for them as it gets them what they want quickly, its good for players who cant afford to spent money who sell dilithiun to buy stuff from the c-store and its good for the game.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited February 2014
    We have PvP? Where? The Calendar has effectively been blank for the past 2 weeks, other than 2 weekend events. Next month is blank.

In game? I access a number of chat channels, and the only thing active these days is our fleet channel, pestf, and dps channels.

On the website? Multiple posts about encouraging us to buy 9 ships at a time.

In-game content? Mission episodes are strictly single player. A handful of new stfs and a decent battelzone (overall, cool content for pve'rs).

ARC? Well, it's been built with new players in mind, while ignoring design and functionality. It does seem to run a number of useless background applications that monitor what you're doing. But hey, this is a Chinese company now. We can trust them. Really we can.

Seriously. The only time I see anything about PvP is when someone is complaining about nerfing "this", or we need to nerf "that".

Other than the complaints in this forum - where the heck is PvP?
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    We have PvP? Where? The Calendar has effectively been blank for the past 2 weeks, other than 2 weekend events. Next month is blank.

In game? I access a number of chat channels, and the only thing active these days is our fleet channel, pestf, and dps channels.

In-game content? Mission episodes are strictly single player. A handful of new stfs and a decent battelzone (overall, cool content for pve'rs).

ARC? Well, it's been built with new players in mind, while ignoring design and functionality. It does seem to run a number of useless background applications that monitor what you're doing. But hey, this is a Chinese company now. We can trust them. Really we can.

Seriously. The only time I see anything about PvP is when someone is complaining about nerfing "this", or we need to nerf "that".

You've been in the game for two years and you don't know where PVP is? Well, there's Ker'rat (technically, that's PvPvE, but...)

But to find PVP, click the "Hail Starfleet" button, it's right under "Queues" right under "PVE".

Unless you're being sarcastic.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2014

the problem is this game is primarily a rpg, being a rpg means that most of the game is story mission based, even the rep projects and the missions that help fill them are a part of that story.
    this being the case pvp has taken a back bench as far as being developed further, I haven't played much pvp myself but would love to see it get a good big overhaul and as far as I am aware this is on the cards for a future update, when that update occurs I cannot say we can only hope it will be sooner rather then later.

as for arc its true that they do like to gather certain data from the players but there is an option that you can select when installing arc that disables this so no data will be collected and sent from you.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    quistraquistra Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    People have been saying STO is in its death throes since launch. Since launch.

This hysteria needs to end. It has no basis in fact.
    The artist formerly known as PlanetofHats.
    Actual join date: Open beta, 2009ish.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    quistra wrote: »
    People have been saying STO is in its death throes since launch. Since launch.

sure some one said the same thing on the swg forums now swg what :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    quistra wrote: »
    That's not true. It has plenty of basis in fact. Health is just the slowest rate at which something can die. The entropy of a closed system must always increase, therefore, the entropy of the system will eventually grow to a point where it can no longer sustain life. All things come to an end.

Granted, hysteria about this is unnecessary and serves no purpose.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    sure some one said the same thing on the swg forums now swg what :rolleyes:

Well that's how Doomsday Prophecies work ... use "Argument A", if A is not gonna cause DOOM, change to "B" and so on ... some day you'll have to be right ... even it takes another 7 Billion years, before the sky is falling :P ... or in SWG/MMO Terms (another 4-5 years)

Besides ... Apples & Oranges ... even if you'd compare current STO-Gameplay-Changes to SWG's NGE ... STO would've at least another 6 years, but only IF Bioware is gonna decide to do the next big STO MMO in about 4-5 years ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    For over a week now I've had some tutorial and a couple of other missions (Breaking the Planet, Klingon Scout Force, The Big Dig and a couple of others), stuck on my mission log screen waiting to be done, the reason they have taken so long to play is because the only way to play them is via the PVE and PVP menu but no-one is ever around to do these missions.

If by any chance this is NOT a troll thread (the title is pretty trollish so that accounts for most of the stupidity here) -- you might consider seeking out and joining a Fleet (guild) that is friendly to newbies , and they can help you with playing lower level missions with you .

The missions that you have tried to join are not played a lot (anymore) , but these missions can be started via "private queues" which players can make , so you only need 4 more players to help you start one and complete these mission (if you really hell bent on playing them) .

But as others have said , leveling in this game is incredibly fast (by design apparently) , so you won't find many players who are "grinding for Marks" using low Level missions .
    High level (endgame) missions give out better awards , so that's what ppl grind .

Hope you'll find a friendly Fleet and good luck out there ! :)
  • Options
    kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I didn't know our forum is now part nof the Cooking channel Network. :D
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    You got screwed. Four to five years is the standard for a "no compete clause".
    Well, thanks for your concern, but as the law firm I use is the second largest in Chicago I think I will trust their legal opinion over some random stranger on a forum. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Well, thanks for your concern, but as the law firm I use is the second largest in Chicago I think I will trust their legal opinion over some random stranger on a forum. :D

Maybe that firm was double dipping?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    Maybe that firm was double dipping?
    As I stated above, my wife is a partner in the firm. :)
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Hey man, that complete stranger on the forum have years of internet trolling underneath said belt, here is the fake degree to prove it.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    As I stated above, my wife is a partner in the firm. :)

You lucky dog. :D
This discussion has been closed.