test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is this game in it's death throes by any chance?

shireknightshireknight Member Posts: 0 Arc User
For over a week now I've had some tutorial and a couple of other missions (Breaking the Planet, Klingon Scout Force, The Big Dig and a couple of others), stuck on my mission log screen waiting to be done, the reason they have taken so long to play is because the only way to play them is via the PVE and PVP menu but no-one is ever around to do these missions.

I was told the PVE and PVP queues would be packed with people this weekend however despite checking at various times throughout Friday, Saturday and Sunday I noticed no more people queuing to play these battles than normal and as a result was unable to complete any of them so I've now dropped the lot from my mission screen.

After a week of constantly checking the PVE and PVP queues it's becoming quite obvious that barely anyone is playing this game so is it closing down or something and there just hasn't been an official announcement about it?

I was planning to purchase a lifetime membership package but that would seem to be a pretty daft thing to do from what I can see unless I'm missing something really obvious :confused:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by shireknight on

Comments

• rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Doooooooooooooooooooom
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,181 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Doooooooooooooooooooom

Ya beat me to it :)
  • aeonthehermitaeonthehermit Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    EDIT: those missions may give Fleet marks, but the harder-to-get reputation marks are more draw worthy when it comes to queueing. There are numerous other options for gaining fleetmarks, but far fewer for the reputation marks, so people will likely want to take advantage of the bonus for those.

To quote the Mythbusters, "Well there's your problem."
    STO in a shellnut.
    "I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst."
    -Elim Garak
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think you'll find it varies on the mission, and from what I've encountered the people you seek lean more toward claiming Omega or Fleet/Nukara Marks. I rarely have a problem flying an Infected Elite, Khitomer Vortex Elite or Crystalline Entity Elite.

It's a different matter entirely when it comes to Dyson Space Elites, or Mine Trap (the Ground for Rom Marks). The Omega Gear is still considered some of the best (in terms of variety and set pieces), whilst the Romulan Plasma Weapons are considered the best weapons, largely. Most people probably acquire their Rom Marks via the Eppohs. No doubt those that run CC are after the Fleet Marks, as the Nukara items don't tend to be as favourable either.

As per the Dyson stuff, it appears to be no secret that the Dyson Rep (and the majority of Season 8) was a sidestep in the wrong direction. Out of all the people I commonly speak too in game/fleet (some of them quite experienced), I don't believe any of them are using Dyson gear. Most of them are on Omega or Romulan gear, and those that aren't have gone for the full fleet items.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    For over a week now I've had some tutorial and a couple of other missions (Breaking the Planet, Klingon Scout Force, The Big Dig and a couple of others), stuck on my mission log screen waiting to be done, the reason they have taken so long to play is because the only way to play them is via the PVE and PVP menu but no-one is ever around to do these missions.

I was told the PVE and PVP queues would be packed with people this weekend however despite checking at various times throughout Friday, Saturday and Sunday I noticed no more people queuing to play these battles than normal and as a result was unable to complete any of them so I've now dropped the lot from my mission screen.

After a week of constantly checking the PVE and PVP queues it's becoming quite obvious that barely anyone is playing this game so is it closing down or something and there just hasn't been an official announcement about it?

I was planning to purchase a lifetime membership package but that would seem to be a pretty daft thing to do from what I can see unless I'm missing something really obvious :confused:

According to the guy interviewed in the link attached to the thread I started over here?

Ask them that a few more times until they pull their hair out.
  • sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Not completely doooooooomed, but if more players are like me, the awesome grinding takes its toll. The only things I bother do these days are fleetmarks (Colony Invasion) and dilithium through doffing. All that goes to building the fleet projects. The incentive should be clear.... ...the dil-weekend, and this weekend, I in theory would be stuck infront of the PC, but nah. All I did was the same routine. Aye, I got a few more marks than usual, but considering the true needed amout, I looked at the screen, thought frak that, logged out, and started playing Planetside 2. Much more fun that STO at the moment. This game seems to be loosing its momentum to keep me going. I don't 'feel' the game as a game anymore. But dying? Nah. Not until the fat lady sings. I haven't heard her yet, and I doubt I will be around to do so.
    /Floozy
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I suggest a bit of perspective is in order.

Step 1: Download and install Champions Online.

Step 2: Create a character.

Step 3: Play around on Champions for at least a month.

Step 4: Come back and recognize STO actually is doing quite well for itself.
  • aeonthehermitaeonthehermit Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Fixed mine, was half-asleep when I typed, and messed up the mission names.

Also, unless i'm missing something, those queues are never filled, anyway.
    STO in a shellnut.
    "I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst."
    -Elim Garak
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    a couple of other missions (Breaking the Planet, Klingon Scout Force, The Big Dig and a couple of others), stuck on my mission log screen waiting to be done, the reason they have taken so long to play is because the only way to play them is via the PVE and PVP menu but no-one is ever around to do these missions.

That's because those missions are, respectively, a ground mission, a TRIBBLE mission, and a ground mission.

No-one is going to waste their time trying to get fleet marks from Scout Force when you can get a good 97 Fleet Marks from Crystaline Entity Elite (which always has at least 50 players playing at any one time, i've seen tops of 100-150 people playing at any given time).

The ground missions don't get done because they're ground and by it's very definition, not worth doing. In as much as the rewards are TRIBBLE-poor for the monstrous amount of effort you have to put in.

You'll find the same issue with Mine Trap. No-one plays it on non-Bonus Marks events because it's not nearly as simple as tagging Epohhs.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It has been pretty busy, but only in certain places - pretty much like normal only the small handful of missions that pay out the most marks. And I'm sure a fair few peeps are concentrating on the newer content as well, rather than go through older content for the millionth time.
  • erraberrab Member Posts: 1,434 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Haha...

Even the successful games have lots of "dead" zones.
    That is because not every zone is equal, there are zones that are made of shiite, and have never been updated. And never will be...

Breaking the Planet, Klingon Scout Force, The Big Dig are ALL horrible, boring, detestable , broken and just plain old time wasting relics of another time.

No one goes there because those zones ARE SHIITE.
  • shireknightshireknight Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Ok based on your replies and also a look at the list of PVE/PVP events on Wiki it's obvious now that there are loads of missions that don't show up in my lists yet which are where all the experienced players are playing so basically in other words the missions I'm trying to do are newbie missions and there aren't enough newbies to flesh them out, bit silly really as some of them are tutorial missions which of course are no good if you can't play them lol.

Maybe Perfect World should flesh these missions out with NPC characters so newbies like myself can actually take part/learn in them or give good rewards that will attract veteran players to mix in with the newbies :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    DDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM..... dammit beaten to it, uummmmm..... DOCTOR DDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Ok based on your replies and also a look at the list of PVE/PVP events on Wiki it's obvious now that there are loads of missions that don't show up in my lists yet which are where all the experienced players are playing so basically in other words the missions I'm trying to do are newbie missions and there aren't enough newbies to flesh them out, bit silly really as some of them are tutorial missions which of course are no good if you can't play them lol.

Maybe Perfect World should flesh these missions out with NPC characters so newbies like myself can actually take part/learn in them or give good rewards that will attract veteran players to mix in with the newbies :)

The other thing to keep in mind is that the queues are level banded. If you're level 20 you won't be getting into the same queues as the 50s are. Because leveling in this game is so fast, the population is top heavy. It's much easier to just skip those group missions and get back to the single player episodes. Once you get to 50 you can start getting into the group stuff.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • jrq2jrq2 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Most players go for the quick and easy route. Meaning which missions gives you the most marks for the least amount of time.

You can say to yourself, do I want to run this mission which takes around 20-30 minutes and gives you 25 marks or do I want to run this one which takes 8- 10 minutes and gives 50 marks.

Let’s face it grinding is a bi*ch. Now which would you choose to grind?

:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I rather gage the empty Fleet Queues than rely on the empty Fleet Actions.

People are just flat out tired of playing them after 2-4 years. They are boring and the rewards are lackluster. Especially when Reputation and Fleet gear is far superior.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Once you hit lv50 you can get into group runs a lot easier. As there is most of the people are at. Also get into a Fleet. With my Fed/KDF/Romulan in 3 different fleets. I always see them go on a run. As most rather go that route than pick up someone at random. So that helps out as well. Just tell them your new and if they are a decent/good fleet. Then they will help you and go at a slower pace so you can learn. They did that for me on my first few runs.

Some don't run as much due to time limits. This is my issue so I don't do them often. Since one day I might play 2 hours max, or up to 30 mins. Depending on what I got going on.

PVP is a total different story. Some loves it some hates it. I hate it, so you will never see me in there.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • lordvalecortezlordvalecortez Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    As I said in your other thread, make it 50 and stick there. 50 is where the game begins, you're still in the tutorial for all practical matters.

What you are seeing is that STO is a very top heavy game with the bulk of the population at 50 and doing endgame content. Thus there are few people at the lower levels running the PvP/E queues. Mostly because you level so quickly and get so much experience from episodes.

Also, in case you are wondering about the people going "DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!", STO has had its nay sayers in it's first week of life, and so anyone preaching or saying or even hinting that the game is finished or on its last legs usual get that response. STO is doing extremely well these days. If it can survive the Year of Hell, when for a 8-9 month period nothing new came out content wise, then it can survive just about anything short of CBS pulling the plug.
    Cheers from Antonio Valerio Cortez III, Half-Celestial Archduke of the Free Marches Confederacy.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,438 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Isn't this the fourth anniversary of STO's imminent demise?

Yeah, give it up, guys. This game's not going anywhere anytime soon.
    jrq2 wrote: »
    Most players go for the quick and easy route. Meaning which missions gives you the most marks for the least amount of time.
    And as we all know, if once you take the quick and easy path, forever will it dominate your destiny! Consume you it will!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member Posts: 265
    edited February 2014
    Yep games closing because a few ground STFs had little to no players queuing for them...logic, ignore the man behind the drapes...or in STO turns ignore the near instant space queues or hundreds of players in every channel in ESD -.-

Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooom was here but then the Avenger kicked his butt :rolleyes:
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    Not really. STO is kind of unique. It's a former sub that went F2P, so players are free to come and go, yet enjoy a game that has early quality that is superior to most F2P shovelware. The problem is, once you get to 50 and exhaust all the older content, you get into the more recent crapware grindfest, that is the staple of a typical F2P, which gets boring fast. Eventually, one becomes wise to the definition of insanity, which is doing the same thing over, and over, yet expecting a different result, then leaves for something more entertaining. Whether you believe it or not, STO is in it's twilight hours now. Soon it will either go dead, or become an NPC social club.

Ahem...

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I don't think so. Not unless they re-code it to include Chocobos, Pokemons, a dating game, and Asian School Girl Manga.

i would play that and i am being serious to :) imo only ppl that really play this game are ones that play Farmville or have a high tolerance for slide bars online
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited February 2014
    Not really. STO is kind of unique. It's a former sub that went F2P, so players are free to come and go, yet enjoy a game that has early quality that is superior to most F2P shovelware. The problem is, once you get to 50 and exhaust all the older content, you get into the more recent crapware grindfest, that is the staple of a typical F2P, which gets boring fast. Eventually, one becomes wise to the definition of insanity, which is doing the same thing over, and over, yet expecting a different result, then leaves for something more entertaining. Whether you believe it or not, STO is in it's twilight hours now. Soon it will either go dead, or become an NPC social club.

I think you probably need to follow my 4 steps earlier in the thread to get an idea of what a game most likely in its twilight looks like.
    edited February 2014
    Wrong thread, Ace.

Looks like the right thread to me.
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The people taking these concerns lightly are quite like the band playing while Titanic sank.
    edited February 2014
    Champions was a popular game. Cryptic became evermore neglectful of it after STO released. Neverwinter is the flagship now. What Neverwinter is, Champions was. What Champions is, STO shall soon be.

Only if they want to lose the license, and considering that they apparently have another expansion pack in the pipe and if the previous one is anything to judge it by, I don't think they intend to. Champions hasn't even had an update on that scale as far as I can tell.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Mmm...game itself might not be in the death throes or anything like that...but I do wonder about the playerbase. Sure there will always be SOMEONE who wants to play, but it feels like at least a bit, there's a feeling of 'not caring' about the game as much, like it doesn't hold interest as strongly.

At the very least, I feel that way personally. Barely logged onto the game at all these past few weeks, just really have a lot less interest in the game since the end of the Winter Event. Game is just going in ways I really don't like, and with how Perfect World is also shoving things down, that doesn't help either.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
    edited February 2014
    I'm always amused when a term like "Expansion Pack", is thrown around so liberally. Especially, when the cash hook contained therein is so transparent, the letters aren't even blurry, when you read them from the other side.

Yes, yes, tell me again how Roddenberry regularly refused royalties from Star Trek. Because honestly, it's sort of a business' job to make money. :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.