test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is this game in it's death throes by any chance?

Comments

• Options
    caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    tyraidd wrote: »
    I rather gage the empty Fleet Queues than rely on the empty Fleet Actions.

People are just flat out tired of playing them after 2-4 years. They are boring and the rewards are lackluster. Especially when Reputation and Fleet gear is far superior.

This. There is only so long you can drag out the same content for max level. Borg have had their run, and then some. This game is in its death throes unless they start bashing out some decent challenge PVE content.

Why would anyone pay 10k zen to use a new ship against the same old TRIBBLE content they were going up against in older ships 2 years ago?
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • Options
    kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    caldannach wrote: »
    This. There is only so long you can drag out the same content for max level. Borg have had their run, and then some. This game is in its death throes unless they start bashing out some decent challenge PVE content.

Why would anyone pay 10k zen to use a new ship against the same old TRIBBLE content they were going up against in older ships 2 years ago?

^^^^^ This one million times, it is like in my workplace, we have several ponds with fishes in them, the policy here is catch and release, the fishes have been caught so many times that some already have medals of how many times they have been caught, scars of battles, tattoos, hats and fancy shirts and when they see a new fisherman with a spanky new fishing road they go to the surface and open their mouth so the bite lands there where they are.

The same with STO, the same old fishes are the same old missions. You can only shoot so much until you know where they have every single bullet hole and just shoot them blind.

C'mon STO new ships is awesome but we need a total revamp of every single mission from level 1-49. I will let someone else complaint about level 50 missions.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • Options
    blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I will admit I usta really like Big Dig, but it takes far to long to do. They should make the enemies not respawn except when the thing is done. So much fighting for junk to get from objective to objective.
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    this game is just over 4 years old, half life for an mmo is 5..., STO could have longer staying power but PWE seems to want to stop that... Instead of letting us keep our very unique SEPARATE and superior brand, they are trying to ball this VASTLY superior game into their brand which is causing backlash amongst most of the player base. STO has STAR TREK first then the other added TRIBBLE. We will see if the whole hearted cash grab of "buy our garbage too" kills it or not, the game itself is sound (of its own merits despite PWE ) DOOOOM or not only time will tell.
  • Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Not completely doooooooomed, but if more players are like me, the awesome grinding takes its toll. The only things I bother do these days are fleetmarks (Colony Invasion) and dilithium through doffing. All that goes to building the fleet projects. The incentive should be clear.... ...the dil-weekend, and this weekend, I in theory would be stuck infront of the PC, but nah. All I did was the same routine. Aye, I got a few more marks than usual, but considering the true needed amout, I looked at the screen, thought frak that, logged out, and started playing Planetside 2. Much more fun that STO at the moment. This game seems to be loosing its momentum to keep me going. I don't 'feel' the game as a game anymore. But dying? Nah. Not until the fat lady sings. I haven't heard her yet, and I doubt I will be around to do so.

I'm with you there. In fact I don't like the Dyson thing at all. I want more space missions, done in the dark with no bloody asteroids, nebulae, dust clouds.. Just the black of space and stars. Most of my Foundry missions are like that. The whole Dyson thing doesn't feel Star Trek to me. 1 or 2 missions are fine but I lose interest quickly. There is way too much white. I want stars as in, well, Star Trek.

But I still love the game. I just don't do any of the Dyson stuff. I love to have more KDF and Romuland (and Cardassian) stuff but no I don't think it is in its death throes. And this is the only Star Trek we've had for the past 9 years. J.J. verse does not count. It has nothing to do with Star Trek.;)
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    For over a week now I've had some tutorial and a couple of other missions (Breaking the Planet, Klingon Scout Force, The Big Dig and a couple of others), stuck on my mission log screen waiting to be done, the reason they have taken so long to play is because the only way to play them is via the PVE and PVP menu but no-one is ever around to do these missions.

I was told the PVE and PVP queues would be packed with people this weekend however despite checking at various times throughout Friday, Saturday and Sunday I noticed no more people queuing to play these battles than normal and as a result was unable to complete any of them so I've now dropped the lot from my mission screen.

After a week of constantly checking the PVE and PVP queues it's becoming quite obvious that barely anyone is playing this game so is it closing down or something and there just hasn't been an official announcement about it?

I was planning to purchase a lifetime membership package but that would seem to be a pretty daft thing to do from what I can see unless I'm missing something really obvious :confused:

If you want to play them invite friends or fleet mates otherwise NOPE you will wait a very long time sir....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • Options
    astimingpyleastimingpyle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Ok based on your replies and also a look at the list of PVE/PVP events on Wiki it's obvious now that there are loads of missions that don't show up in my lists yet which are where all the experienced players are playing so basically in other words the missions I'm trying to do are newbie missions and there aren't enough newbies to flesh them out, bit silly really as some of them are tutorial missions which of course are no good if you can't play them lol.

Maybe Perfect World should flesh these missions out with NPC characters so newbies like myself can actually take part/learn in them or give good rewards that will attract veteran players to mix in with the newbies :)

I cant see what you mean by them being tutorial missions.
    I played all my characters up to lvl50 without doing any of these missions, in fact the first time I ever played the big dig was about a month ago cos some of my fleeties were doing it and asked me to join them.

the only stuff I did when levelling up was the story missions all of these can be played solo and doffing when it became available.

I think the biggest problem with the game at the moment is everyone wants to level up their fleet holdings to top tier just as quickly as they can if not quicker.
    nobody is just happy to just play the game and have fun which is how it really should be played and let the fleet holding level up as and when.

personally I could care less if any of our fleet holding never reach top tier, if I have stuff I don't want
    or fleet marks obviously I donate to the fleet but that is only secondary to having fun.

in the words of harry kim star trek voyager - When I think about everything we've been through together, maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey, and if that journey takes a little longer, so we can do something we all believe in, I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I didn't bother logging into STO this weekend... having too much fun with another Steam game I just picked up. I was ready to drop another $100 for the Dyson Ship super pack, but then I realized that I was getting more entertainment out of the other free-to-play title.

If Cryptic ever fixes STO's broken torpedo system, then I might start spending cash in here again lol.
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    Wrong answer. The customer IS always right. She wants bacon on her veggie burger give it to her, you just sold one more veggie burger than you would have. Guy wants meat in his chili? Fry up some hamburger, cumin, and chili power with a little salt'n'pepper, and mix it in. That's what's good about chili, you can put anything in it. Most successful business owners understood this strategy once upon a time. It's what set them apart from their competition. In today's global economy, where you have to talk to machines, not so much, that's why there's so much escalating, misery in the world. Everybody is too greedy.

So, you mean if I go to McDonalds and order a pizza, they should give it to me despite the fact that McDonalds doesn't have pizzas? BRILLIANT!

It's obvious that you don't know anything about business.
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Having dueled with Capnkirk before, you will find that someone with the signature of hindsight really doesn't practice it. It is more of a do as I say not what I do kind of mentality.

What Cryptic is trying to do is force us to want something that we really don't want, but we are being forced to accept it because of their monopoly on a Star Trek-oriented medium. I was so hoping that Star Trek Infinite Space would have picked up, it would have gave STO a much needed competition. The other mmos are a nice break, but if you are a fan of the ip, you will be coming back.
  • Options
    shireknightshireknight Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I cant see what you mean by them being tutorial missions.
    I played all my characters up to lvl50 without doing any of these missions, in fact the first time I ever played the big dig was about a month ago cos some of my fleeties were doing it and asked me to join them.

The game called them that not me, they had tutorial written on them in green lettering, I think they were given to me by two officers on Station K-7
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    No, that's not what I'm saying. Why would you think your insurance has anything to do with cable TV?

Because of some buffoon insisting that "good business" is giving the customer, who "is always right," whatever they want, period.
  • Options
    gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There are not many people that play this game. My best guess is there is a small amount of diehard players that bankroll this game and keep it going. Start a character in Neverwinter just for comparisons sake and you'll see what a populated game looks like and how the bulk of Cryptics resources are going to it. Fully loaded skirmishes and events at level 10 etc. Try getting into any group content at level 10 or even level 20 and you're SOL. And if you're on the KDF side forget it period.

Funny thing is, the same complaints here are over there as well. Too grindy, no end game, no balance, too casual, store items being too expensive, etc etc. MMOs *sigh*
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There are not many people that play this game. My best guess is there is a small amount of diehard players that bankroll this game and keep it going.
    Just looking at the arc page shows over 2 million downloads of sto through arc, and I doubt even half the players are using arc. I know I'm not; at least not until I'm forced to.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There are not many people that play this game. My best guess is there is a small amount of diehard players that bankroll this game and keep it going. Start a character in Neverwinter just for comparisons sake and you'll see what a populated game looks like and how the bulk of Cryptics resources are going to it. Fully loaded skirmishes and events at level 10 etc. Try getting into any group content at level 10 or even level 20 and you're SOL. And if you're on the KDF side forget it period.

Funny thing is, the same complaints here are over there as well. Too grindy, no end game, no balance, too casual, store items being too expensive, etc etc. MMOs *sigh*

FYI = Neverwinter (and CO for that matter) have way less zones overall; so the zones that are there are going to seem way more crowded. From all reports (if you believe Dev interviews) STO is PWE's top grossing game in the western market, with NeverWinter a close second. if STO weren't bringing in a huge flow of cash, I doubt PWE would be putting money back into it to the point they could afford to hire actual Star Trek actors for Voice Over work (which is much more expensive then just creating new characters and hiring way less expensive VO talent.

And PWE doesn't trow money at games not doing all that well. 'Champion's Online' is proof of that.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Which "Buffoon" said that? I can't find it. In this thread?

Yup. 'twas this bit of brown-nosing business insanity:
    Wrong answer. The customer IS always right. She wants bacon on her veggie burger give it to her, you just sold one more veggie burger than you would have. Guy wants meat in his chili? Fry up some hamburger, cumin, and chili power with a little salt'n'pepper, and mix it in.

Apparently this guy thinks "good business" is letting the customer dictate what your business sells, shamelessly pandering to whatever they want with no regard for...well...apparently anything other than being a raving sycophant dedicated to the customer's every whim. There's no other rational explanation for insisting that the correct way is to provide products you don't even have in the store.

Some businesses have tried this. Most of them fall into 2 categories, "huge resorts catering to the insanely rich," and "out of business."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    Just looking at the arc page shows over 2 million downloads of sto through arc, and I doubt even half the players are using arc. I know I'm not; at least not until I'm forced to.

I wouldn't use that as evidence of population size. Just how many people downloaded ARC and STO just for the freebies, then deleted it again? How many downloaded ARC and STO and never actually played, because of ARCs infamous memory hogging? How many players downloaded STO on multiple computers?
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    stf65 wrote: »

seening as ARC is not only for sto but all of PWE games and cryptics sorry but that 2mill means nothing at all
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    tyraidd wrote: »
    I wouldn't use that as evidence of population size. Just how many people downloaded ARC and STO just for the freebies, then deleted it again? How many downloaded ARC and STO and never actually played, because of ARCs infamous memory hogging? How many players downloaded STO on multiple computers?

*raises hand*

Installed ARC for the free loot, left it installed to make future grabs easier, but haven't run it since I claimed my Ferengi shuttle and won't until they're giving something else out. :D
  • Options
    brandonflbrandonfl Member Posts: 892
    edited February 2014
    The game called them that not me, they had tutorial written on them in green lettering, I think they were given to me by two officers on Station K-7

basically, they're intro to PvP missions. They have no real tutorial value, but are necessary if you want to unlock the PvP dailies and Wrapper Missions.
    LOLSTO
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    seening as ARC is not only for sto but all of PWE games and cryptics sorry but that 2mill means nothing at all
    If you bother to check the website then you will see that each game lists their downloads through ARC separately. NWN's download is over 3 million.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,407 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well, as long as we're tossing around anecdotes and personal impressions, I have to say all the major space stations (and most of the plot-important systems) are pretty crowded whenever I drop by, and I don't know if I've ever seen sector space without at least two or three other players cruising along in the background (and usually more than that). And I do know that I've never seen ESD with fewer than six instances, and generally a lot more than that. So no, the game certainly doesn't seem "empty" to me.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    If you bother to check the website then you will see that each game lists their downloads through ARC separately. NWN's download is over 3 million.

if you think before you post i could care less if it is or not i dont even go to the main page any more why i could care less for the way the website look now or what number count is or is for what i got the forums on my Fav's all i need

and the way pwe and cryptic stuff is sooo bugy would not floor me if the numbers are wrong
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    if you think before you post i could care less if it is or not i dont even go to the main page any more why i could care less for the way the website look now or what number count is or is for what i got the forums on my Fav's all i need
    Remember, you are the one who posted about a subject that you are saying you "could care less if it is or not." You obviously did care, as you took the time to post about it - you just happened to be wrong. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Remember, you are the one who posted about a subject that you are saying you "could care less if it is or not." You obviously did care, as you took the time to post about it - you just happened to be wrong. :)

wow im so wrong that is was not for all their game big win for a 60 year old man
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    wow im so wrong that is was not for all their game big win for a 60 year old man
    I did not know you were 60. I should be nicer to you. I can understand all that getting up in the middle of the night to urinate can make you angry. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I did not know you were 60. I should be nicer to you. I can understand all that getting up in the middle of the night to urinate can make you angry. :)

im talking about you as your have posted you age and that you retried to on these forums
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
This discussion has been closed.