test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Small forum art design change [Feb. 13, 2014] *Changes complete, see post #208*

Comments

• inkrunnerinkrunner Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    A few minutes ago quotes and backgrounds just got lighter. Is this just me or is it happening to other people?
    2iBFtmg.png
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    inkrunner wrote: »
    A few minutes ago quotes and backgrounds just got lighter. Is this just me or is it happening to other people?

Check the News section. They're doing an aesthetic update on the forums and things are going to be glitchy like that for a few hours.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    yes

new and improved
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    druhin wrote: »
    If true, I doubt PWE really cares. PWE is an asian company, and have previously gone on record that they don't mind if they happen to lose some customers in a specific region, due to legal controversies. I believe it was a Cryptic representative who openly stated that they'd be fine blocking an entire country if necessary.

But yes, the new "Arc-style" homepage for STO looks worse than the current one. Shouldn't an "upgrade" mean an "improvement" ? Why move to something that would be the opposite of an improvement?

There's some distortion in that post. PWE is a San FRrancisco based company, owned by a China based Perfect World, which trades on the NASDAQ. The top management is in Beijing, sure, but the company is owned by stockholders everywhere.

The second point comes down to the opinion of a developer who had worked with the company for under a year when he suggested that if lockboxes (which are the core monetization strategy of these games) are made illegal in small markets, PWE might pull out of those markets rather than drop its core business strategy. I don't think any of that indicates an indifference to losing customers. It indicates that one employee thought PWE would do a cost/benefit analysis with regard to laws and regulations.

If it's more profitable to leave a small market than to change their business model, they'd leave the market. That isn't being fine with losing customers. That's how a business that is responsible to shareholders should run. I'm sure if it would cost less to adjust policy or comply than it would to lose revenue, they'd adjust policies to stay in a market. This was all speculation on one dev's part. Maybe PWE would require a gold subscription to play in those markets. Maybe they would setup servers with different rules if it's a large market.

But if a law says that you can't sell hamburgers or hamburger substitutes, I wouldn't expect McDonald's to be in that market. (Note: McDonald's does do substitutes in some markets. But it's still a patty of something on a bun.) PWE is a virtual lockbox selling company. That is really all that particular dev was saying.
  • zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~BranFlakes
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Functionality should come before aesthetics. Poor contrast and eyestrain should not be the price to pay for change. :)

Edit: Visibility is fine, contrast is not. Someone must have mixed up those two.

---
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I like it, doesn't bother my eyes at all.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Just FMI, what exactly qualifies as "ARC has been pretty clearly shown to violate EU law."???

It's in the massive thread on ARC. Someone went to the trouble of looking up EU laws pertaining to EULAs and privacy. I'll see if I can find the exact post.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    i dont like it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm just going to echo that the white text on this lighter shade of grey/slate is a bit more painful on the eyes for me as well. The lessening of contrast means people are going to be straining their eyes more, ironically enough.

I'm still going to hold off on judgement until all the changes have made it over, but as someone who has been involved in the craft of website design and coding for.. around a decade and a half, I am compelled to comment on it.
    edited February 2014
    i dont like it. its also harder for me to read quotes or any pms if i had any at all.
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think it's clean :cool:
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    It's in the massive thread on ARC. Someone went to the trouble of looking up EU laws pertaining to EULAs and privacy. I'll see if I can find the exact post.

Steam ran into the same problem two summers ago. Valve got sued by a German consumer rights group over EULA changes.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Someone call Section 31, someone's been playing in the timeline again!
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
    edited February 2014
    german laws are different like japanese laws with EULA and customer rights. i doubt the rest of us can contest the changes just like that.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    It's in the massive thread on ARC. Someone went to the trouble of looking up EU laws pertaining to EULAs and privacy. .

That was me, let me try to cool the temperature a bit.

The specific problem is that EU regulations pertaining to data privacy require customers to have the option to change their mind at any time.

Essentially the option to opt in or out, at will and at no special cost, to data being used.

Currently, although ARC does have an opt out box on installation (which really ought to be opt in), there is no way to subsequently change that option.

Thus, technically, as currently formulated, in breach of EU regs.

However, the fix is simple and has already been posted on the ARC feedback thread.

ARC, per se, does not violate any regulation i can find. Just the lack of an opt in/out button.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Someone call Section 31, someone's been playing in the timeline again!

Voporak, we're looking at you! :D

Honestly, I don't think that this is the new aesthetic. I think it's a glitch caused while they switch over to the new aesthetic.

At least, it better be...
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Title says it all.

Who in there right mind thought this shade would be a good idea.

Unless someone messed something up... in which case... hey guys the forums are FUGGLY please correct it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This is a pretty awful and washed out shade of gray.

This new color scheme looks awful, can we have the option for the old black at least?
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Your unholy PWE overlords tell you to accept the grey and love it ! Now ! :eek::D
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The white text is kinda bleh tbh. I can live with it but don't like it personally.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

edited February 2014
    here is where you should of posted.

edit: thread merged, disregard previous.
    edited February 2014
    OT

Really?

This, this, is what you task people to do?

Not fix bugs, graphical or otherwise?

Not do something that has actually been requested by your customers?

The next time someone says that some good idea can't be implemented because Cryptic are too busy doing other things, remember this unwarranted, unasked for change.

A bit more time on the fora and a bit less time looking at metrics would be a very good idea.

Getting customer feedback before changes like this would be an even better one.
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The shape of things to come no doubt. I wish they would consider the idea that letters represent abstract figures that must be processed in order to make sense to us. When you have to process the surrounding as well, you have to do double shifts!

---
    edited February 2014
    here is where you should of posted.

edit: thread merged, disregard previous.

OMG its a temporal loop.

You Janeway, you......:eek:
  • alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So now they have even brought the grind to the forums, we have to grind our eyesight to read them now.:mad:
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Ah it's not that bad, few days you won't even notice it. Just a couple of font and texture changes is all.
    edited February 2014
    coupaholic wrote: »
    Ah it's not that bad, few days you won't even notice it. Just a couple of font and texture changes is all.

Quick, look down to the bottom right of the page.

What page is this now?

Terrible design.

And why are people working on this when the KDF still have unusable, paid for uniform slots?
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hmm, ok the handsome phaser guy background needs more "Star Trek" in it or it looks like just a private Homepage.

But this white on grey thing... Hell, I like it. It less strains my eyes like the white text on black background did before.

But I think that especially the quoted Text needs to be more white. Now it is just a brighter grey on a dark grey.

Overall I like the design because a lot of elements seem more organized and divided. Sorry I can't explain it better in english.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,240 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The fixed width is still terrible. Over 50% of the screen is empty at my default resolution and as resolutions get higher the problem only gets worse. Once you get to 4k resolution 75% of the screen is empty with only a tiny strip in the middle.

The art is nice and works the problem is the out dated fixed width. Please fix this.