Install Arc
Options

Small forum art design change [Feb. 13, 2014] *Changes complete, see post #208*

Comments

• Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    alonar wrote: »
    I have to say thank google and Eradicator that there are plugins I can use to make these forums bearable, I have to use 2 now to stay sane. I am however expecting them to cry foul and ban these plugins saying that its interfering with their artistic integrity.

I think that would be like a television show demanding that viewers should never adjust the contrast of the TVs. It was fuzzy, so we improved the picture so we could watch it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    alonar wrote: »
    I have to say thank google and Eradicator that there are plugins I can use to make these forums bearable, I have to use 2 now to stay sane. I am however expecting them to cry foul and ban these plugins saying that its interfering with their artistic integrity.

They had better not. Eradicator made the forums usable again. PWE should hire this guy, or at least take notes. :D

"Cinderblock Hell" is not artistic. It is punishment. :mad:
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jengoz wrote: »
    no headaches. but i am having a hard time reading the font. it is too scrunched together. I dont know much about fonts. but the old one was much easier to read.

You can change that on your end. Whichever browser you're using should have some font controls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Why do companies always think they do a good job changing something which doesnt require change? Its a myth that this would do any good, it only creates anger just like we seen in the game in the past with all the unnecessary changes they once applied.

*Sigh*

Installling this theme to compensate for my strained eyes.

Better prepare a hack to circumvent ARC once it gets mandatory to launch STO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I was in the same boat. The new "Cinderblock Hell" color scheme, and the smaller fonts gave me headaches after a few minutes of reading. I don't have any issues with other websites, or fora (this is the only forum that I am active in).

This guy came up with a great solution.
    I saw the new grey blandness today, and my eyes started to glaze over. Harder to read with the new 2014 forum design.

So, went about altering it back to the 2013 look, and fixed some things that have been annoying me for a long time.

Some screenshots with notes on changes:
    Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3
    Image 4
    Forgive the compression, site had size limits

How do you get this happening in your browser?
    Install the Stylish addon for Firefox (theme was built with this) or Chrome.

Then, go HERE, and install the theme I've made.

Then simply start using the forums!
    Can be enabled/disabled at will via the addon.

As long as the logo and background images remain available via their CDN (no reason it shouldn't), it'll work just fine.

Hope people find this useful.

I use this now, and it's made everything MUCH better. It's even better than it was before the "Cinderblock Hell". :D
  • Options
    ransom2375ransom2375 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited February 2014

All planned design/ art changes are now complete (new header, text color changes, etc.). We'll continue to pass along your feedback in this thread, but a lot of the feedback before this post was provided while changes were being made -- feel free to post your most up-to-date feedback after this post. Please be clear and concise in your post, in addition to being constructive, that way your feedback is heard.
    rinkster wrote: »
    Surely this should set off an alarm bell at Cryptic.

Their forum changes are so popular, less than 24 hours after implmentation people are creating plugins to avoid it.

Shouldn't that ring a tiny bell somewhere that maybe this wasn't awesomely thought through?
    I saw the new grey blandness today, and my eyes started to glaze over. Harder to read with the new 2014 forum design.

So, went about altering it back to the 2013 look, and fixed some things that have been annoying me for a long time.

Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3
    Image 4

As long as the logo and background images remain available via their CDN (no reason it shouldn't), it'll work just fine.

Thank you eradicator84 for your work on this! :)
    Star Trek Online: Foundry 02.12.2010 - 11.04.2019
  • Options
    sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Would really like a Dystopia MMO, but this was just too much. Now using the plug-in, and very happily so!

It was comparably harder to process the text, due to increased noise. I don't need a doctor to understand why increased noise might lead to something other than a clean experience. There are many other forums out there, after all. Some doing it right, others not so much. ;)

----
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Oh, no, you didn't just go there.

Sorry Methuselah, but my 47-year-old 20/70 on one side and 20/800 on the other eyes don't like this forum color scheme whether you think they do or not. Now take your Geritol and take your nap. :P

Wotsat Sonny? Can't quite hear you. Get orf my lawn.
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm actually liking parts of this redesign, but there could be better contrast on some of the colors. Objectively I think the old style was worse, although I did find some things easier to read on it, and I think the old background was much better.

IMO, bump up font sizes a bit and maybe use slightly darker shade of gray for the post BGs. I'm happy that the posts no longer blend into the background. Also, replace those default button images, they look terrible on a dark BG, they were obviously intended for white. Get an artist to do some Trek-themed ones! :)
  • Options
    klintobean81klintobean81 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sonnikku wrote: »
    On the contrary, it seems very apt. I see an outstretched hand holding a Federation phaser about to fire. I find it refreshingly honest and candid of the state of the Federation in the scope of STO. Very appropriate and cards face up on the table-ish.

Edit: It may also be construed as one courageous Starfleet officers mission to stave off an entire fleet of Klingon ships armed only with a single standard issue Starfleet phaser. Very heroic. :)

Meh, just seems like more of the same rehash of what we've seen before. I don't think its bad - just not much "wow" factor to it. How about an alien instead of a human up there? An Andorian? A Bolian? Something - I mean come on, you have a huge selection of Trek races to choose from.

-Klintobean
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    two words,

cut backs :P
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3
    Image 4

I installed the Stylish addon and the theme but it only partially worked for me:

http://s12.postimg.org/z8xr2k7vh/screenshot_54.jpg

Still some of the text is better and I CAN now tell what page I'm on.. Thanks eradicator84! You rock!!

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm actually liking parts of this redesign, but there could be better contrast on some of the colors. Objectively I think the old style was worse, although I did find some things easier to read on it, and I think the old background was much better.

IMO, bump up font sizes a bit and maybe use slightly darker shade of gray for the post BGs. I'm happy that the posts no longer blend into the background. Also, replace those default button images, they look terrible on a dark BG, they were obviously intended for white. Get an artist to do some Trek-themed ones! :)

^^ This, could not have said it better myself. :)
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    It was sent to "Room 101" for re-education.

What you now see is the result.

Further plans include turning "smilies" into "Facial Representation of Apathy" and "Facial Representation of Despair" through indoctrination, and "behavior modification treatments".
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    PWE were going for the classic mid nineties look. They Nailed it!

Use the plugin and style if you want to be sane again... ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Welcome to the new forum looks! We hope you like it cause you're stuck with it. Our Glorious Chinese Overlords aren't big on individuality. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    jumpingjs wrote: »
    WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO THE FORUM!?

Is this Ark's fault?!

I liked it the way it used to be; I dislike change, a lot of the time.

Yes, it's Arc's fault. PWE is homogenizing everything to ugly blandness so all their customers are equally unhappy.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    I really encourage you to install the official firefox or chrome plug-in, and then install the player-made style for viewing this web site. As someone who has struggled with bad eyesight since birth, this fix was a godsend.

Aye, been watching the chatter about this. Count me as one of the, to quote Stan Lee, true believers now. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=15156361&postcount=301

Go through the steps, and it will solve your eye strain problems.

Awesome, so pretty now!
    I'd give you a hug but your avatar made me rethink it. :D
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited February 2014
    I pretty much love everything about the new art look and feel, looks very sharp and clean, the only thing I'd like to see is a Bigger Star Trek Online Logo along with the Handsome Phaser guy's head be shown completely in addition to the beautiful Vulcan Lady.

Overall... Great Update...
  • Options
    mutualcoremutualcore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It looks better now, easier to look at. Cleaner with things separated better. If the font seems too small use ctrl+your mouse wheel to zoom in.
  • Options
    realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    mutualcore wrote: »
    It looks better now, easier to look at. Cleaner with things separated better. If the font seems too small use ctrl+your mouse wheel to zoom in.

Which is a great idea but not perfect, the text doesn't scroll with the browser window size but with the original forum margins. Still be better if they increased the size a bit. Plenty of room for a little bigger size with no adverse impact.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Respectfully, it's Cryptics job to fix this not mine. I'm not installing a third web browser just to run the STO forum.

You're not necessarily wrong, but if you're willfully refusing a perfectly functional fix for a problem at hand, it's kind of your own fault that you continue to suffer the problem.
  • Options
    timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    so many shades of grey, very dull and lifeless..more reason not to visit these forums much anymore...
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    oldkirkfan wrote: »
    Every time a forum changes, the users cry foul. It a couple years, they will change again, and we'll see these same post.

maybe but using erads solution has kicked that can of silliness to the side, im using it and its far better then that ugly grey colour scheme.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    toiva wrote: »
    Would you be able to get rid of the horrid grey that remains in the search and around the post writing window?
    I'll look into it. Although the grey does define the area pretty well imo.
    Slightly darker may blend in more.
    kimony wrote: »
    I installed the Stylish addon and the theme but it only partially worked for me:

http://s12.postimg.org/z8xr2k7vh/screenshot_54.jpg

Still some of the text is better and I CAN now tell what page I'm on.. Thanks eradicator84! You rock!!
    Strange. Doesn't look like my theme is really even taking affect in that screen shot. Is it enabled?
    Be sure that you don't have any other Stylish themes running for the sto forums via this plugin (or others) the CSS from multiple styles can clash and you will get odd results.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    WHAT HAPPENED TO the FORUM?!
    The layout got changed.

;)
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    got it all installed, the only place that would need to be altered is the reply to thread window, the light grey box around that is very... bad.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Just fixing it now. Darkening it looks good.

Trying to see if I can get the lines on the left and right sides of posts to show. Left is easy, getting the right side to show is proving harder.

Will post with update when it's done (or I give up on lines, lol)
    AFMJGUR.jpg