Install Arc
Options

Small forum art design change [Feb. 13, 2014] *Changes complete, see post #208*

Comments

• Options
    bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Could you guys possibly be a little more original than "yet another white male human"? Why not a black woman? Or Va'Kel Shon?

You Fed types are so predictable, don't you know that the United Federation of Planets is just fancy talk for the "Human Club". :rolleyes:

I like the new/retro theme.
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I saw the new grey blandness today, and my eyes started to glaze over. Harder to read with the new 2014 forum design.

So, went about altering it back to the 2013 look, and fixed some things that have been annoying me for a long time.
    (...)

Thank you so much :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    SO this new direction is not good. Sorry, but the site now looks like it has fog over top of it. It's feels very bland and washed out. The Avatar picks don't stand out, the phaser guy appears very muddy and muted and the actual posts appear faded.

The grey back ground causes all of this, IMHO, and if that was changed to a dark, crisper color it would be much easier to deal with.

Personally, I don't understand why there was any need to change the forums apearance and feel that the time spent on this could have been spent elsewhere. Even if this was just minal effort, that effort has reduced this to place I don't want to go to now. And I am primarily a lurker.

Please change the color pallete back to the darker criper backgrounds. Thank you.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    cptshephardcptshephard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I like that someone made a decision to update the forums. I like the new header and how it kind of flows into a more streamlined forum. It's a very simple layout, which I like because it makes things neat and concise. I like the dark background, but what kind of gets to me is all of the grey.

The colors really do go nicely together. I'm not disputing that. The darker grey at the top where our avatars, the "search", and the "Today's Post" links are is really nice; the white text looks good on it. I like that the shades of grey alternate on the main page going down from forum to forum.

The biggest thing that bothers me on the main forum everything kind of runs together. Like I said, it's very neat.. but either there needs to be more spacing between the divisioins in the forum (e.g. Information and Discussion, Feedback, etc) and their preceeding and proceeding forums or that line needs to be a different color than everything else because it's kind hard to see where one section starts and the other begins.
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Styler theme updated
    Go to styler link and click update style to get these alterations

- Removed blanket bolding of all thread topics in sub-forum lists, so threads you've read are no longer bolded as well (unread = bold still)
    - 'New Notifications' number (when greater than 0) will now turn red, so it's obvious when you have unread.
    - Fixed drop down menus (near top of forum) link colours so they're easier to read
    - Fixed 'Your Control Panel' links so they don't use the new huge red 'Login' style. Made link areas bigger for easier clicking
    - Post # link now blue instead of white
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Styler theme updated

- Removed blanket bolding of all thread topics in sub-forum lists, so threads you've read are no longer bolded as well (unread = bold still)
    - 'New Notifications' number (when greater than 0) will now turn red, so it's obvious when you have unread.
    - Fixed drop down menus (near top of forum) link colours so they're easier to read
    - Fixed 'Your Control Panel' links so they don't use the new huge red 'Login' style. Made link areas bigger for easier clicking
    - Post # link now blue instead of white

Awesome job, thanks man.

Now (for me), the only things that still look weird, is at the top of each post (where it says post #, date/time, quote/multi-on/off), the bar doesn't extend all the way to the right (about a half-centimeter missing for me). And the "handsome phaser guy" is still being shown as background, but that might be a Chrome cache issue?

Finally (thou this is a general suggestion both for your theme if possible, and the Cryptic/PWE web-team for certain):

Matching buttons to the theme. The buttons used are the same buttons we've had since before STO launched. About time it gets updated, don't you think?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Hi druhin,

I've been only making the style in Firefox as its my main browser (also way easier to make style updates on the fly in it).

Looks like Chrome needs to be put in it's place, I can try something to force the style changes to show. Seems Chrome and Firefox differ slightly in how they manage CSS from different styles sheets for the same elements of a page.
    I'll see what I can do.

As for buttons, has to be STO/PWE web team. I did quickly look at it when I first made the style, but images are hard coded in the HTML, something I cannot really change with just CSS I believe.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Maybe try slapping !important on everything that you don't already have it on? I notice you don't have it on all of your style elements.

-edit- I remember throwing a stylish theme together for a friend using chrome but I don't remember what we had to change to get the firefox version working in his browser; this was several months ago.

-edit2-

.alt1Active {
    font: 16px verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif;
    font-weight:bold;
    }

for:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62
    (copy/pasta of ".title")

-edit3- All hail google! uhhh sorta.. almost..
    As for buttons, has to be STO/PWE web team. I did quickly look at it when I first made the style, but images are hard coded in the HTML, something I cannot really change with just CSS I believe.

img[src*="quote.gif"]{
    height: 0 !important;
    width: 0 !important;
    /* these numbers match the new image's dimensions */
    padding-left: 70px !important;
    padding-top: 22px !important;
    background: url(http://blacklight-forum.perfectworld.com/images/buttons/quote.gif) no-repeat !important;
    }

totes stole the quote button from the blacklight forum. However there's a problem. This replaces ANY image named quote.gif, including this one from the editor: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/images/editor/quote.gif and any in a post that someone might link to.. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the selector to replace only the correct quote button but none of the following works at all:
    img[src*="http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/images/buttons/quote.gif"]{
    img[src*="/images/buttons/quote.gif"]{
    img[src*="buttons/quote.gif"]{
    img[src*="images/buttons/ quote.gif"]{ (maybe it's just an issue with how firebug displays the url but I figured I would try literally using what it showed)

And then of course you'd need a separate entry for basically every image you wanted to replace. Boy this takes me back to my days reskinning an IPB2 and then 3 forum I administered. *shudders*

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Nice mightybobcnc,

Yeah when I get to it, important was what I was going to use to force it. Just don't want to force it where I don't have to. With CSS, the more explicit you are with your selector, the higher priority it'll get over generic broad sweeping selectors. It's why most of my style works without the important used.
    Chrome obviously handles things slightly differently. From my view, Firefox appears to respect the rules better.

RE edit2: I'll try and fix those 'forum folder' section thingos with the correct formatting

RE edit3: Neat! I'll check it out. Did some quick searches and some other techniques have shown up worth looking at, so it might be possible :)

Question then is, what images might we want to replace forum buttons with? Need URLs to images or other forums that have suitable buttons for this theme. Please post any suggestions.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I had a quick look at the Blacklight forum buttons and they seem like a nice clean matching federation blue without bad cutout white crusties around the edges. Reason I used the Blacklight quote button in my test was because it's also owned by PWE so it's loading off the same server and we wouldn't be hammering a 3rd-party site. Plus they're already the same dimensions (70*22) as the STO forum buttons.

PWE has like, what, 10 games on the arc site? That's 10 PWE forums where we might find good buttons that match the theme well. Heck even the emotes might have the proper transparencies without the white crusties obviously designed for a light forum background.

The editor buttons themselves are probably fine since they're all square without transparencies so I guess the ones that would need it most are the ones with that dull golden color; quote, edit, multiquote on, multiquote off, reply, preview.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I want to post, but it's hard to look at it for long periods of time. Plz fix. :(
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I want to post, but it's hard to look at it for long periods of time. Plz fix. :(

There is a firefox add-on and a skin that fixes everything. You can find many links to it in the threads in Galactic News Network. I recommend it.

Edit: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=15156361&postcount=301

There is a more updated stylesheet in the last pages of that thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    There is a firefox add-on and a skin that fixes everything.

Also available for and works fine with Chrome. Join the Rebellion, down with Darph PWE. :cool:
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Also available for and works fine with Chrome. Join the Rebellion, down with Darph PWE. :cool:

How do I do this.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    How do I do this.

The link in kirksplat's post, above, leads to full instructions and links to set the whole thing up. Childishly easy, took me about 4 mouse clicks and boom- no more grayscale.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    The link in kirksplat's post, above, leads to full instructions and links to set the whole thing up. Childishly easy, took me about 4 mouse clicks and boom- no more grayscale.

Let's hope this works. Mine eyes they burn.
  • Options
    admiralthorr360admiralthorr360 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It's the Dark Ages... on the internet.... PWE's idea of 'synergy' is to assimilate every game into a Tactical Cube of Drones... ship them off to an O-Type-Star and watch the Antimatter waste combust into a beautiful explosive wave-front the name of this new cube... "ARC Games"

"Like it or not here we come... tag you're it!" I don't mind arc but... I wish it would be less choppy...
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Sweet Mary Mother Magdalene. This Looks So Much Better Already.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Welcome to The Rebellion. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Glad it helped :)

Styler theme updated

- Fixed Chrome support for some elements.
    - Replaced forum button images with nicer ones from Blacklight forums

Chrome should now properly show everything correctly. I haven't extensively tested it though so if you spot anything different between FF and Chrome, let me know.

Forum buttons now look A LOT nicer. No more white jaggies and darker more blue, matches style pretty well. Images hosted on PWE servers, so should be ok for time being unless blacklight forums change.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Hey nice going on the forum buttons! So input[src was the key.

-edit- uh oh, wait something borked in the full editor and quick reply at the bottom of the thread. It's stretching away and hiding some interface elements like emoticons.

http://i.imgur.com/uIWnKXI.jpg

Also avatar alignment.
    http://i.imgur.com/TWAXZXO.jpg

Firefox26

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    uh oh, wait something borked in the full editor and quick reply at the bottom of the thread.

Firefox26

I'm definitely not seeing that or able to reproduce it.
    Firefox is my browser so would definitely fix anything out of the ordinary like those.

Can you clear cache, delete/reinstall style? Update to FF 27?
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Huh, it went away on its own. Maybe it was the cache. That sure was interesting.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
  • Options
    senselockesenselocke Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I saw the new grey blandness today, and my eyes started to glaze over. Harder to read with the new 2014 forum design.

So, went about altering it back to the 2013 look, and fixed some things that have been annoying me for a long time.

-snip-

THANK YOU!

I was gonna fire up US myself and code it, but it was gonna take awhile. You saved me the work, and probably did a much better job.:P

Thank you so much!!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    - Fixed Chrome support for some elements.
    - Replaced forum button images with nicer ones from Blacklight forums

Wow. For those buttons being such a small detail, these forums never looked so good.

PWE/Cryptic/ARC/whoever, take a lesson. Load up Stylist, look at what we the Rebellion are seeing, and learn.
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    As I commented in PM to eradicator, PWE/Cryptic should take a note from his "theme", and adopt the stylesheet as the official one. Cause currently the official one is just too friggin hard on the eyes. Eradictor's style will be the style of choice for me until PWE/Cryptic wise's up.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Yeah I won't be turning this custom theme off any time soon (read: ever) unless it or something very close to it gets adopted officially.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    We've got to be vigilant about promoting the theme, or the forums will become a wasteland. Without the theme, it would not be worth it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The changes make it hard to moderate, too.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    syberghost wrote: »
    The changes make it hard to moderate, too.

...that's bad.