test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Humanity will detect aliens by 2040, researcher says...

Comments

• Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »
    I'll get the bug spray and alien invasion action plan.

Someone find Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith. :P

In all seriousness, a 1-in-5 chance that a star system will have 1 or more life-sustaining planets does not equal a 1-in-5 chance that a star system will have extraterrestrial life on a planet within it. And even so, the odds of them being at the same level as us technologically are pretty slim. To a telescope, a civilisation at our level of technology would be seen to be at least 30 years behind us... and that's assuming the planet in question is around Alpha Centauri, which is unlikely.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but it would be difficult to achieve.

Coupled with that the fact that any message we send to them wouldn't be received for at least x years (where x=distance in LY) and the language barrier... even if we did make contact it would take decades or longer to be able to communicate with or understand each other.

You know if it 1 in 5 chance of life-sustaining planets at 1 star, with 300,000,000,000 stars in our milky-way alone, i will say there's life.
    You also know we are not looking for the message from them "Hi Eart!!!"
    but more like radio/tv signals, the same signals we already sending out for about 70 years..
    And we don't need to know what they say, just hope they got some nice new star-trek movies & series.. trekies will download and translate it.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Don't the quantum entanglement experiments have a crucial flaw? Or two? IIRC, 1: it's like a tin can on a string. You can only talk to the tin can on the other end. 2: each time you say something the string breaks. IIRC the key limitation of Entanglement is in how it lacks reusability. Each time you use it to communicate, the particles used cease to be entangled.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    cyberken2014cyberken2014 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Still, the question remains... Should we then make contact? Would it be worth it to send the message in hopes of waiting for an answer?

In my opinion, yes...

CM

I'm sure they are already here.

President Eisenhower met with the Orion / Reptilian Faction back in February 21, 1954.

They gave us a few Lower 4D Scouts and we store them at S4 / Area 51.
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,762 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    truth is the ferengi were responsible for roswell
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    hawku001x wrote: »
    truth is the ferengi were responsible for roswell

There were 2 crash sites on July 2, 1947.

One was the debris field north of Roswell, New Mexico.

The other crash site was about 2 miles west of Datil, New Mexico.

The ETs were from the Domain Expeditionary Force.

Each scout had a crew of 4.

2 Pilots and 2 Engineers
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Don't the quantum entanglement experiments have a crucial flaw? Or two? IIRC, 1: it's like a tin can on a string. You can only talk to the tin can on the other end. 2: each time you say something the string breaks. IIRC the key limitation of Entanglement is in how it lacks reusability. Each time you use it to communicate, the particles used cease to be entangled.

Not sure about the string breaking, but if Quantum Entanglement is Interstellar Communication, then it kind of defeats the purpose of SETI since no interstellar civilization would use EM due to serious limitations and there is no way to spy on those communications.
  • Options
    grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The aliens will come to earth and say: We are the Borg, will you assimilate us so our culture can adapt to service you?
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    The aliens will come to earth and say: We are the Borg, will you assimilate us so our culture can adapt to service you?

Actually, Star Trek is just a little off.

The Reptilians are the Borg and yes, they do have a queen.

The Reptilians here on Earth are the Draco and Hydra Reptilians.

They have the gift of telepathy.

The members of the Domain and Zeta Reticuli ETs also have telepathy.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I hear that there really is Life located in the Alpha Centauri Star System.

It's only 4.4 Light Years away.

The populated planet is called Pen-ka Tauri.

The ETs on the planet are called the Ti Pen-ka.

They have light blue skin and white hair. They are friendly.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,398 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    No, the Andorians (light blue skin, relatively friendly) don't live around Alpha Centauri. Alpha Centauri is a trinary system, consisting of a G-type yellow star and a K-type orange star orbiting one another, and the distant third partner, M-type red dwarf Proxima Centauri, which orbits around the other two. The only known planet in that system is Alpha Centauri Bb, which (as its name implies) orbits Alpha Centauri B. This is fascinating, as it was long believed that planets could not form in stable orbits around a relatively close binary pair like A and B. (Since then, planets have been found in even odder positions, like the Saturn-sized Kepler-35b, which orbits around both stars in a binary system.)

Your fantasies of mysterious aliens running the world are mildly amusing, but don't hold a patch to the real wonders out there.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    No, the Andorians (light blue skin, relatively friendly) don't live around Alpha Centauri. Alpha Centauri is a trinary system, consisting of a G-type yellow star and a K-type orange star orbiting one another, and the distant third partner, M-type red dwarf Proxima Centauri, which orbits around the other two. The only known planet in that system is Alpha Centauri Bb, which (as its name implies) orbits Alpha Centauri B. This is fascinating, as it was long believed that planets could not form in stable orbits around a relatively close binary pair like A and B. (Since then, planets have been found in even odder positions, like the Saturn-sized Kepler-35b, which orbits around both stars in a binary system.)

Your fantasies of mysterious aliens running the world are mildly amusing, but don't hold a patch to the real wonders out there.

It's easy to find using Stellarium.

Alpha Centauri is also known as Rigel Kent.

The good news about Alpha Centauri is that it has a G2V Star.

There are - natural wormholes - connected between G2V Stars.

Many ETs use the natural wormholes to make short cuts.

There is a singularity at the center of our G2V Star.

Match shield frequency before entering so you won't burn up.

I think the frequency of our sun is 126 Hz.

It's a Rim Star on the Orion Belt of the Milky Way Galaxy.

BTW, the ETs on Pen-ka Tauri are 3D Carbon Based ETs.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    The link for Stellarium is:

http://www.stellarium.org

This link is also pretty cool. Scroll down to the bottom of the page:

http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/50lys.html
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited February 2014

*scans the string vibrations from afar* : P, I don't know anything about quantum mechanics or even regular physics for that matter, but it does seem hard to believe something would work without some sort of transfer between those two points, and when there is a transfer, there is always the possibility of interception, just a question by what means. I also thought some science articles said quantuam entanglement didn't cheat the fact that it is impossible to transfer information at a speed greater than light? It has been a pretty confusing thing when I've seen so many contradictory statements about entanglement, unless I'm reading them wrong. And as for the claim of distance being irreverent, we still have never tried testing entanglement beyond the distance of our own world to my knowledge, I'm not so sure we truly know if it has any limits or not.

It's a science that appears very hopeful to me, but even with the 2 issues you describe, it still sounds too good to be true unless properly tested imo.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    A "wormhole" is a colloquial term for an Einstein-Rosen bridge. This is a hypothetical shortcut "around" spatial distance; according to certain implications of general relativity, such bridges might occur between singularities. Unfortunately for your claim about "natural wormholes", the only naturally-occurring singularities are found beneath the event horizons of black holes - from which nothing escapes, not even light, and any solid object approaching the horizon gets torn apart by tidal stresses until it's only a stream of individual particles spiraling inward, a process colorfully known as "spaghettification" (yes, that's the actual technical term).

There are no magical "bridges" from Sol to any other stars, unless by sheer chance Dan Forrester was onto something when he came up with the stardrive used in Jerry Pournelle's CoDominium stories (riding the "lines of thermonuclear flux" between some stars). Also, there are no alien spacecraft in "Area 51" (or, as it's known these days, Homey AFB). They have experimental aircraft there; back in '86, we had to make sure nuclear targeting data went to 51 as well as the missile bases and such, which we later learned was because the then-experimental B-2 bombers there were also kept on standby as part of our second-strike force.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I don't know anything about quantum mechanics or even regular physics for that matter, but it does seem hard to believe something would work without some sort of transfer between those two points...
    It isn't easy to visualize, but it is indeed the case that when two particles become entangled, changing the state of one changes the state of the other at a distance with no transfer of information through space. Einstein called it "spooky action at a distance," and didn't like the concept at all.

It's still limited to lightspeed, for certain reasons to complex to go into without some very hairy equations.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The only known planet in that system is Alpha Centauri Bb, which (as its name implies) orbits Alpha Centauri B. This is fascinating, as it was long believed that planets could not form in stable orbits around a relatively close binary pair like A and B.

Alpha Centauri Bb is one of those planets in an ultra-close orbit around its parent star (and thus is hot enough to make Mercury look frigid). However, where there is one planet, there may be others (several systems have been discovered to date with multiple rocky planets), so a planet far enough out to be the proper temperature for liquid water may be there as well.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Not sure about the string breaking, but if Quantum Entanglement is Interstellar Communication, then it kind of defeats the purpose of SETI since no interstellar civilization would use EM due to serious limitations and there is no way to spy on those communications.
    Well yes and no. I have to question the usefulness of any form of communication that has a built in limit on the number of uses.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    we are already conducting successful experiments in quantum entanglement.
    Quantum Entanglement and Quantum Teleportation are often misunderstood (and I don't really grasp it entirely, either, as I can only go by the "Lies-For-Children/Students" you find in books aimed at people that don't want to go through 3 years of University Math to understand the concepts), but the important things are:
    You do not get FTL communication. What you instead get is the ability to send a quantum state to a distant location without needing to measure it. That is useful for quantum computing. But you still need a "classic" signal to go with your quantum teleportation to actually "read" the data you receive, which means - unless you found already a way to send FTL signals, quantum entanglement doesn't give you FTL communication capability.

But even if it did - you generally don't pick up entangled signals by accident. To entangle your particles, you will likely out of neccessity use directed communication, like lasers.

I think one way to describe quantum entanglement would be this:
    You entangle two particles A and B, and you know that one state, say, their spin, are now in a superposition state between the two. If you measure one of the particles, it has a 50 % chance to have either state x or state -x (say, spin up or spin down). The moment you measure one's particle state, the other particle will definitely have the opposite state. So if you measure A and discover it has the state x, you know, without measuring, that particle B now has state -x. The chance of it having state x went down from 50 % to 0 %, and the chance of it having state -x went up from 50 % to 100 %.

This alone does not help you to get information, because at no point did you decide whether the quantum state you would measure on particle A would be x or -x.
    But you now know that particle B has state -x You could now send someone near Particle B the information "by the way, B must now have the state of -x", and he can use this information without needed to interact with B.

so, not the only way.
    not to mention, in space, artificial signals have limited range.

no em signal we have ever made has gotten further than a few light years before deminishing to levels below/indistinguishable from galactic background.

for example, a radio reciever in the wolf 424 system, wont have picked up a damn thing from earth that could be identified as an artificial signal, and likely never will.
    Well, but how would you communicate with natural signals? If they are natural, that presumably means you didn't manipulate them, so you can't determine what you send. Or do you mean we should use something like Pulsars and manipulate those so that the signals they send (naturally from them being pulsars) are picked up?

One interesting challenge could be: What if the hypothetical alien culture uses signals we could pick up, but encrypts them? A very well encrypted signal could be practically indistinguishable from random noise. (I suppose theoretically you could devise an encryption algorithm that creates a repeating pattern that is independent of the actual content of the message, but why bother?).
    They might encrypt them because they don't want anyone to find them, or it just didn't occur to them to use these signals to notify other races of their existence, and just worry about their own privacy concerns.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    rca2rca2 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I personally are not looking forward to meeting ETs, who knows what they're capable of? Are they friendly? If they're not, they're probably centuries ahead of us technologically. We'd probably be decimated if there's conflict.
    "We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive." -- C.S. Lewis
  • Options
    upper4dscoutupper4dscout Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    rca2 wrote: »
    I personally are not looking forward to meeting ETs, who knows what they're capable of? Are they friendly? If they're not, they're probably centuries ahead of us technologically. We'd probably be decimated if there's conflict.

Some ETs are friendly, others are not.

The unfriendly ETs are spiritually bankrupt. ( Draco and Hydra Reptilians)

Oh, BTW we need a new starship here on Star Trek Online.

It is cigar shaped and is called a Beamship.

It's about 3,000 feet long and 450 feet wide.

The beamship can fold space and has scout class spacecraft in the aft hanger bay.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where

we started and know the place for the first time. T.S. Eliot
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    rca2 wrote: »

And I bet they would use us for some real dirty experiments with our bodys and force us to mate with them and... Hey, count me in
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    And I bet they would use us for some real dirty experiments with our bodys and force us to mate with them and... Hey, count me in

You are thinking of the Zeta Reticulian ETs from the Reticulum Constellation.

They were the ones responsible for the human abductions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Space aliens will contaminate our precious bodily fluids...
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    But we love sharing alcohol, drugs, and sex. What aliens would not want us for that? :D
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Scout, no one is "from" a constellation. You might want to educate yourself a bit.

A constellation is a dot-to-dot picture drawn between stars, using one's imagination. Sometimes the stars actually are close to each other, as with the Pleiades, an open cluster of B-type stars all born from the same nebula; more often, however, they're dozens to hundreds (to even thousands) of lightyears apart, and just happen to lie in the same sector of the sky as seen from the surface of Earth.

If you'd like, we can also go into the difference between a planet, a star, a star system, and a galaxy, since those are also often misused in the sort of works where it's claimed that someone came from Thus-and-So Constellation...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    saihung423saihung423 Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think the things we fear from advanced alien species a lot of times are projections of the things we fear about ourselves.

Our violent and militaristic social nature, our individual and collective quest for power and wealth, and the enslavement (worldwide, not just US) in the past and present of those we consider weak and beneath us.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Scout, no one is "from" a constellation. You might want to educate yourself a bit.

A constellation is a dot-to-dot picture drawn between stars, using one's imagination. Sometimes the stars actually are close to each other, as with the Pleiades, an open cluster of B-type stars all born from the same nebula; more often, however, they're dozens to hundreds (to even thousands) of lightyears apart, and just happen to lie in the same sector of the sky as seen from the surface of Earth.

If you'd like, we can also go into the difference between a planet, a star, a star system, and a galaxy, since those are also often misused in the sort of works where it's claimed that someone came from Thus-and-So Constellation...

You should tell that to the Grays who are from Zeta Reticuli Binary Star System in the

Reticulum Constellation. They call themselves the Reticuli Network. They are paid

mercenaries for the Reptilians.

So there are a total of 6. -Bad ETs -

- The Draco Reptilians

- The Hydra Reptilians

- The Orion Reptilians

- The Sirius B Reptilians

- The Domain Expeditionary Force

- And The Reticuli Network

The above group is commonly known as The Unholy 6. They are known throughout

the entire Milky Way Galaxy for their atrocities.

President Eisenhower made a deal with them at Muroc AFB Feb. 1954.

We got a few Lower 4D Scouts delivered to Papoose Dry Lake, Nevada.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]