test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Humanity will detect aliens by 2040, researcher says...

turks1turks1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Ten Forward
Intelligent extraterrestrial beings are out there, and we'll be meeting them shortly, perhaps within the next 25 years, according to one scientist.

A researcher for the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence says humanity will detect aliens by the year 2040, LiveScience.com reports.

"I think we'll find E.T. within two dozen years using these sorts of experiments."

- SETI?s Seth Shostak

That's because, by then, astronomers will have scanned enough star systems to detect alien-produced electromagnetic signals.

"I think we'll find E.T. within two dozen years using these sorts of experiments," SETI?s Seth Shostak said during a Feb. 6 discussion at the 2014 NASA Innovative Advanced Concepts symposium at Stanford University. "Instead of looking at a few thousand star systems, which is the tally so far, we will have looked at maybe a million star systems' by 2040," he said.

Part of Shostak's confidence is based on progress made by NASA's planet-hunting Kepler space telescope, which has turned up evidence that the Milky Way galaxy is packed with worlds capable of supporting life as we know it.

Shostak believes one in five stars has at least one planet where life might be possible, a "fantastically large percentage" that means there are potentially tens of billions of Earth-like worlds in the galaxy.

And if, on some of those worlds, intelligent life exists, then they're probably doing what we're doing, Shostak said, sending out radio transmissions as they listen, patiently and alertly, for someone to make contact with them.
I'm a lover not a fighter. But I'm also a fighter so don't get any ideas...
Post edited by turks1 on

Comments

• Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    turks1 wrote: »
    Intelligent extraterrestrial beings are out there, and we'll be meeting them shortly, perhaps within the next 25 years, according to one scientist.

A researcher for the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence says humanity will detect aliens by the year 2040, LiveScience.com reports.

"I think we'll find E.T. within two dozen years using these sorts of experiments."

- SETI?s Seth Shostak

That's because, by then, astronomers will have scanned enough star systems to detect alien-produced electromagnetic signals.

"I think we'll find E.T. within two dozen years using these sorts of experiments," SETI?s Seth Shostak said during a Feb. 6 discussion at the 2014 NASA Innovative Advanced Concepts symposium at Stanford University. "Instead of looking at a few thousand star systems, which is the tally so far, we will have looked at maybe a million star systems' by 2040," he said.

Part of Shostak's confidence is based on progress made by NASA's planet-hunting Kepler space telescope, which has turned up evidence that the Milky Way galaxy is packed with worlds capable of supporting life as we know it.

Shostak believes one in five stars has at least one planet where life might be possible, a "fantastically large percentage" that means there are potentially tens of billions of Earth-like worlds in the galaxy.

And if, on some of those worlds, intelligent life exists, then they're probably doing what we're doing, Shostak said, sending out radio transmissions as they listen, patiently and alertly, for someone to make contact with them.

I'll get the bug spray and alien invasion action plan.

Someone find Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith. :P

In all seriousness, a 1-in-5 chance that a star system will have 1 or more life-sustaining planets does not equal a 1-in-5 chance that a star system will have extraterrestrial life on a planet within it. And even so, the odds of them being at the same level as us technologically are pretty slim. To a telescope, a civilisation at our level of technology would be seen to be at least 30 years behind us... and that's assuming the planet in question is around Alpha Centauri, which is unlikely.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but it would be difficult to achieve.

Coupled with that the fact that any message we send to them wouldn't be received for at least x years (where x=distance in LY) and the language barrier... even if we did make contact it would take decades or longer to be able to communicate with or understand each other.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    silly thing about intelligence, understanding and the concepts behind it, not even we humans can understand correctly so we can not imagine what is really, alien to us.

going even further on the point of motivations, not even we humans can understand each other which ends up in civil war in syria, oil companies stamping out any real challenge to all this wasteful emissions and this supposed "myth" surrounding climate change, snowden leaking nsa's dirty secrets with russian help, assange stuck in ecuador after leaking all those wires. terrorist activities and well a whole range of other reasons which even in ten forward could break rules about this stuff, so the example is made as far as i can take it. if we cant even understand each other and solve our own issues, imagine how disasterous it could be if alien contact was made!

then there is the arrogance of the idea of 2040 about making contact, when contact is made, be it now or thousands of years from now, we do not know and our tech is no where near advanced enough to explore beyond our solar system, we can only guess what we see is accurate.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,522 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Still, the question remains... Should we then make contact? Would it be worth it to send the message in hopes of waiting for an answer?

In my opinion, yes...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »
    I'll get the bug spray and alien invasion action plan.

Someone find Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith. :P

In all seriousness, a 1-in-5 chance that a star system will have 1 or more life-sustaining planets does not equal a 1-in-5 chance that a star system will have extraterrestrial life on a planet within it. And even so, the odds of them being at the same level as us technologically are pretty slim. To a telescope, a civilisation at our level of technology would be seen to be at least 30 years behind us... and that's assuming the planet in question is around Alpha Centauri, which is unlikely.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but it would be difficult to achieve.

Coupled with that the fact that any message we send to them wouldn't be received for at least x years (where x=distance in LY) and the language barrier... even if we did make contact it would take decades or longer to be able to communicate with or understand each other.

your assuming from a human view point of what we consider a habitable planet and star systems, but aliens could live in space and not need planets, or cities. other aliens could live in gas giants and could be invisible to us from our eyes. the point is you cant make that assumption because in truth we have no idea what to expect.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    silly thing about intelligence, understanding and the concepts behind it, not even we humans can understand correctly so we can not imagine what is really, alien to us.

going even further on the point of motivations, not even we humans can understand each other which ends up in civil war in syria, oil companies stamping out any real challenge to all this wasteful emissions and this supposed "myth" surrounding climate change, snowden leaking nsa's dirty secrets with russian help, assange stuck in ecuador after leaking all those wires. terrorist activities and well a whole range of other reasons which even in ten forward could break rules about this stuff, so the example is made as far as i can take it. if we cant even understand each other and solve our own issues, imagine how disasterous it could be if alien contact was made!

then there is the arrogance of the idea of 2040 about making contact, when contact is made, be it now or thousands of years from now, we do not know and our tech is no where near advanced enough to explore beyond our solar system, we can only guess what we see is accurate.

The article says that we will be able to detect aliens by 2040 (which I doubt), not making contact by 2040.

Also, most of those examples you mentioned have nothing to do with understanding. Syria is about greed, oil is about greed and convenience, NSA is about fear (and Russia have only given Snowden sanctuary. I wouldn't call that 'with Russia's help', especially since half his leaks were made in Chinese territory) and terrorism is about religious extremism and political reformation and equality, not understanding. Humans understand each other very well thanks to the UN - we just can't let go of our differences. When that changes, the world will be a much better place.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,398 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This isn't science. This is wishful thinking. We know of only one sapient species in the entire universe - there may be myriads of them out there, but we only have data concerning one. And projections made from a single data point are no more scientific than wearing a particular sweater when your favorite sports team plays because it's your "lucky sweater".

Now, saying I'd like to make contact with extraterrestrial intelligences by 2040, or even that I think it possible, is one thing, and I'll gladly cop to both positions. However, stating flat-out that it's going to happen is fortune-telling, not science.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    your assuming from a human view point of what we consider a habitable planet and star systems, but aliens could live in space and not need planets, or cities. other aliens could live in gas giants and could be invisible to us from our eyes. the point is you cant make that assumption because in truth we have no idea what to expect.

Science is about making assumptions based on what we know and then challenging those assumptions. As far as we know, alien life has to evolve on a planet or other natural celestial body. However, there are no other prerequisites we know of other than a form of light for photosynthesis of plantlife and heat for bacterial cultivation. For example, microbiotic life could exist on Mars from what we've seen on Earth. However, until we know more, it seems unlikely that even microbiotic life could exist on Mercury because of the extreme heat.

My point is, scientists have to make assumptions to further science and then challenge them to further it more. You can't just say "everything's possible", because, by that logic, man could jump into space while carrying a watermelon on a tortoise. There has to be an assumption in order to prove that assumption wrong. That's why we have theories and hypotheses.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    This isn't science. This is wishful thinking. We know of only one sapient species in the entire universe - there may be myriads of them out there, but we only have data concerning one. And projections made from a single data point are no more scientific than wearing a particular sweater when your favorite sports team plays because it's your "lucky sweater".

Now, saying I'd like to make contact with extraterrestrial intelligences by 2040, or even that I think it possible, is one thing, and I'll gladly cop to both positions. However, stating flat-out that it's going to happen is fortune-telling, not science.

Again, the article isn't saying we'll make contact by 2040, it's saying we'll be able to detect aliens by 2040.

BTW, OP, do you have a link to that article so we can read it for ourselves?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Also, most of those examples you mentioned have nothing to do with understanding.

your trying to reason it out which is my point, you suspect but no proof to confirm. so it is about understanding in the end, regardless of what you wrote after this bit.
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Not with what we're doing right now, I don't think. We're listening for whispers on the ocean - our own signals are only detectable by a few stars (and getting harder to detect over time as our signals have been getting more efficient and lower power), and looking for the same limits us to a depressingly small number of systems, more and more of which every day appear to be unsuitable due to the configuration of their known planets.

Interestingly, it looks like we'll be able to detect plant life fairly soon. HD 189773b definitely doesn't have life, but it was the first time where we put together all the pieces we'd need to determine if a planet has extensive photosynthetic life. We know it's color, we know its atmospheric content, and we can infer quite a bit about what kind of weather it has.

Snowing glass shards from silicon clouds is about as far as you can get from evidence of life, but damn does it sound cool. But if we did all that to Earth, we'd have a pretty good smoking gun for photosynthesis.
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited February 2014

- SETI?s Seth Shostak

That's a pretty ballsy statement to make - "we will make contact with aliens within 25 years."

I'm pretty sure that it'd be more accurate to say "we will be able to make contact with aliens in around 25 or so years."
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,109 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Still, the question remains... Should we then make contact? Would it be worth it to send the message in hopes of waiting for an answer?

In my opinion, yes...

CM

Not until we have a large enough military force to conquer them.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Of course, one could also go with one of David Brin's interpretations of the Great Silence - that the galaxy isn't veritably ringing with the radio signals of other civilizations because those that still survive have learned that calling attention to oneself is a Bad Thing...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    crm14916 wrote: »

In my opinion, yes...

CM

That's not the real question here.
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Not until we have a large enough military force to conquer them.

The above quote is the indicator to the real question: Even if we make contact with another species, is it worth it to them to respond? Let's not kid ourselves here, we're nowhere close to being culturally tolerant enough to be the Federation and I doubt we will be in 26 years. Any species that looks at us now would wonder how a race that hates itself so viciously could ever be accepting of an entire separate species or even think about peace period. There's a reason why, in Star Trek, the Ferengi are the allegory of modern 21st century humans.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Didn't Anne Heche.. I mean Celestia, already make contact to some higher extraterrestrial intelligence?
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    it may be cool.to finally know but we are no where near ready to say Hi to oir neighbors, much less what ever reply they may have for us.

Life isnt Star Trek. Chances are they will be just as flaky as us.

If they are more advanced then we most likely will be toast. Advanced does not mean peaceful.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Good. Imperialism is unsustainable at the rate we're going when we're limited to one planet. It's time the aliens pulled their weight around here.
  • Options
    saihung423saihung423 Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So, then if we take this to be somewhat accurate...then conversely, aliens discovered us a long time ago.
  • Options
    turks1turks1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The article originated from FoxNews.

The reason I put it up here is because I love science and I have often wondered how our entire planet might change if or when we find out we're not alone. Will the US Givernment, for example, then make NASA's budget larger?
    I'm a lover not a fighter. But I'm also a fighter so don't get any ideas...
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The article originated from FoxNews.

The reason I put it up here is because I love science and I have often wondered how our entire planet might change if or when we find out we're not alone. Will the US Givernment, for example, then make NASA's budget larger?

Only if NASA allows the Government to outfit our space shuttles with weaponry.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited February 2014

- SETI?s Seth Shostak

Yeah, and in 1969 - many predicted we'd land a man on Mars by 2000. If we ever do make contact with extraterrestrial life it''ll happen when it happens (and I'd love to see peaceful contact before I die myself.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    nope.
    no space faring race will be TRIBBLE or inept enough to think non ftl communication methods will be useful for inter-stellar comminications.

if an alien race is using EM communications they are purposefully seeking technologically inferior races.
    at which point, the question becomes, "why?"
    For conquest, obviously.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    One thing that I've been pondering is.... Yes, it's true that Earth is constantly emitting signals which travel into space. But.... How coherent are those from say.... Proxima Centauri? that's not very far away, but it's several orders of magnitude farther than the signals are designed to be intelligible by. Are they strong enough to be detectable? Maybe... or maybe the sheer number with make it like trying to listen to 3000 tv shows simultaneously.... thus reducing the detectable transmissions to white noise?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    One thing that I've been pondering is.... Yes, it's true that Earth is constantly emitting signals which travel into space. But.... How coherent are those from say.... Proxima Centauri? that's not very far away, but it's several orders of magnitude farther than the signals are designed to be intelligible by. Are they strong enough to be detectable? Maybe... or maybe the sheer number with make it like trying to listen to 3000 tv shows simultaneously.... thus reducing the detectable transmissions to white noise?
    The radio and TV signals from Earth fade into near-incoherence not far outside the orbit of Neptune. At one lightyear distance, they'd be indistinguishable from galactic background radiation. Signals require focused transmissions, with high power behind them - for the early days of Niven's Known Space stories, before the mayor of We Made It bought the hyperdrive from an outsider ship, he postulated interstellar communications via maser (barely practical, but without FTL travel, the only way of communicating between stars in mere years).

I was disappointed to learn that, too - I liked the idea that Earth was protected by a ten-lightyear-thick shell of disco music...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Don't you ever listen to the guy with the funny hair, aliens have been with us for thousands of years.

Really though if aliens were advanced enough to be able to travel here, we would be far too insignificant for them to want to have anything to do with us. There are so many other planets they can go to also that have more resources then Earth so they wouldn't need to come here for that reason either.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    marc8219 wrote: »
    Don't you ever listen to the guy with the funny hair, aliens have been with us for thousands of years.

Really though if aliens were advanced enough to be able to travel here, we would be far too insignificant for them to want to have anything to do with us. There are so many other planets they can go to also that have more resources then Earth so they wouldn't need to come here for that reason either.
    What makes you think they wouldn't use us for slave labor? :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Indeed. You only have to look at the colonial expansion eras of Great Britain to see...

Oh... you were joking...
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2014

There are far better sources of slave labor than us. We are pretty much defective products when it comes to slave labor or at least North Americans are.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    "If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans." -- Stephen Hawking

I tend to side with Hawking in this one. We (humanity) have nothing to offer a hypothetical stellar community. We barely survived going to the moon. We have a history of botched low orbit space flights. Our major breakthroughs as of the present involve sending remote controlled toys with science equipment onto Mars.

What do we have to offer aliens that would not invariably harm us in some way?

Is it food? We offer aliens food (provided they'll want to visit us in order to eat), and they'll either eat us or they'll exhaust our food supply and overstay their welcome. We can't even feed our own global population even if we have the ability to.

Is it medicine? Outside of the first world countries, we still have polio and other diseases that should have been conquered long ago. We aren't mature enough to offer them anything.

Is it hospitality? We're our own worst enemies. We exist to destroy and consume. Nothing more.

Is it resources? If they're after our resources, that's resources they will take from our planet to fulfill their own race's survival. Provided they travel vast interstellar distances, that is a lot of fuel/food/etc. they would need, and if they come here -- they aren't going to ask nicely for it. They will simply take it as the means to an end because they know they are the superior race.

Is the question, "Are we alone out here?" really that important as compared to the question, "Are we capable of continued existance on our own planet?"

My answer is no. Aliens belong in outer space. Maybe if we shake our nasty habits from a global standpoint we can look to the stars, but we can barely communicate to each other without invoking war or hard feelings. What makes us think we'd fare better against a technologically superior race?
    ExtxpTp.jpg