test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Free Shuttle & Lobi Ending Soon! [Now Ended]

Comments

• adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I currently run STO from its original launcher. I do have arc for that " other game". When arc becomes mandatory must I install STo entirely all over from arc or is there a way to merge it.

My internet will take many many hours.......to download this game and I would like not to tie up my internet downloading for days.
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    hootenite wrote: »
    ARC, you so tricksies, I almost went for this one.... but not today.

I almost clicked download on Arc but.......no. Nice try Cryptic but Arcs are for kids.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • captfabulouscaptfabulous Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    But if you install it and uninstall it several times, leaving negative feedback via the check boxes conveniently located at the end of the uninstall wizard, it's not much of a victory. Just because people install something does not mean it is popular. They might see an increase in installs and downloads because of the free items they are giving out, but that doesn't mean that the number of downloads is an accurate reflection of player satisfaction. If anything they should be crippled by negative feedback from the way the forum posters are sounding; assuming we all put our two cents in every time we uninstall the software.

Which again, is exactly what they want, as the software is in beta. They want feedback in order to make it better. Also don't forget that the forum posters are less than 1% of the actual playerbase, so whatever nonsense the ignoramuses spew here is simply a tiny skewed demographic of crazy people. So for every moron here who installs it from a flash drive thinking they're getting away something, installing and uninstalling each time there is a promo, or purposefully leaving negative feedback there are 1000+ more people who aren't getting their panties in a bunch over nonsense and will actually give the accurate feedback they're looking for.
    edited February 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    Correct psychology term is 'classical and operative conditioning'.

How 'classical and operative conditioning' works in case studies and clinical application:
    When an individual behaves in an undesired manner, the psychologist, parent, or controller will use positive and/or negative reinforcement to modify the person's behavior.

First, the psychologist will pair your present behavior with a positive or negative stressor. If you are behaving in a negative manner, the psychologist will apply stress to make you uncomfortable. Whenever the individual reacts in a negative manner, the psychologist will increase the frequency and duration of the stress. Once the person changes their behavior, the psychologist will reward them with less stress.

Second, as the individual behaves in a desirable manner, the person is positively rewarded every time a behavior occurs. If you want the desirable behavior to constantly occur, you change the duration and frequency of when the reward is given. Instead of giving the individual a reward every time a desirable behavior occurs, you give it to the person every other time. Once the individual behaves constantly, you eventually remove the entire reward system. You ultimately have them trained.

Unless you are aware of how 'classical and operative' conditioning works, you could be under someone's influence without knowing.

Cryptic's Versions of Conditioning:
    When players do not buy c-store or lobi items (undesirable behavior), Cryptic will reduce the game's reward system (causing negative stress). In order to get a player's mind off the negative reinforcement, Cryptic conditions the individual to forgive them through a reward system (positive stressor). Once the player's mind is on the positive stressor, Cryptic can manipulate players to forget the negative stressors.

Now, here is the kicker... Once the player is behaving in a positive manner (happy and forgiving), the individual will be open to buying more c-store keys and lockboxes (desirable behavior).

*gives you a cookie for behaving in a positive manner*

Sound familiar?

Ask your parents if they used a reward system, so they can modify your behavior.

How do you like those cookies?

Look up: Classical Conditioning (Ivan Pavlov & Pavlov's Dog)

Players who defend Cryptic have been conditioned, and they have no idea what is happening.

Players who are still reacting negatively 'know' something is wrong; however, they cannot fully understand what is happening. Some players know they are being manipulated, but they cannot figure out exactly how.

Now everyone knows.

In other words: human life on planet Earth. Thanks for a good laugh Sigmund Fraud.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If Arc is going to be mandatory then let's have honest answers, put our cards on the table and make the transition to whatever the hell this is going to be as painless as possible. Instead what we get is smoke and mirrors, prevarication, misdirection or a complete lack of response. Look at the pretty spectacle boys and girls but don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain.
    All of you people ridiculing the skeptics can go ahead and have your laugh because you are most definitely in the minority, these little gifts if nothing else confirms just how desperate PWE is to get the public to try this unwanted program. Do you guys really think that PWE would be resorting to bribery if the problem was only a few of us tinfoil hat wearing forum crazies? Are you that naive?
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Curious thought process there...since what they're doing is pretty much fundamental to human existence. From the baby not eating until daddy or mommy makes choo choo sounds - putting medicine in apple sauce - through free car mats when you buy a car - free phone when you sign up for celluar service - whether one shops with rebates or sales...etc, etc, etc.

It's basic marketing...hrmm...the negativity in general from so many posters is curious.

edit: Oh well, I'm going to bow out before I end up generating extra work for the mods...lalalala.

I am allowed my opinion, just as you are yours. I can't help your emotional response to people than your own opinions.
    edited February 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »
    If Arc is going to be mandatory then let's have honest answers, put our cards on the table and make the transition to whatever the hell this is going to be as painless as possible. Instead what we get is smoke and mirrors, prevarication, misdirection or a complete lack of response. Look at the pretty spectacle boys and girls but don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain.
    All of you people ridiculing the skeptics can go ahead and have your laugh because you are most definitely in the minority, these little gifts if nothing else confirms just how desperate PWE is to get the public to try this unwanted program. Do you guys really think that PWE would be resorting to bribery if the problem was only a few of us tinfoil hat wearing forum crazies? Are you that naive?

I'm probably going to regret poking the beehive of crazy, but what exactly do you think Arc is?
    edited February 2014
    adabisi wrote: »
    I currently run STO from its original launcher. I do have arc for that " other game". When arc becomes mandatory must I install STo entirely all over from arc or is there a way to merge it.

My internet will take many many hours.......to download this game and I would like not to tie up my internet downloading for days.

Arc can use the installation you already have. You don't have to re-download anything.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited February 2014

They have said it will be mandatory and it's not yet... and they're trying to get people to voluntarily use it before it becomes mandatory.

But they haven't phased out the launcher yet. My wild guess would be that, among other things, they'll need to sort out how to continue Mac support before it becomes mandatory.
  • erraberrab Member Posts: 1,434 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Greetings all,

It seems that Cryptic is trying to bribe some of us who are on the fence about the new loader they will soon be more or less forcing on us into opting in early by giving us some trinkets.

I'll say this:

I do not see the need for a new launcher for STO sine the one I have does just fine IMO.

But you know what would more than likely get me and I'd be willing to bet quite a few others to opt in and tow the line for the new Launcher?

If using the new launcher for STO gets me the ability to buy the rare versions of the Hanger Jem'Hadar Attack ships from the shipyard vendor ;)

The trinkets need to be something that I'd actually use.

Thanks for your Time
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    Sound familiar?.

Nope because you're bending circumstances to fit a psych 101 lecture. For example, where are the game's rewards being reduced? How are players being pushed towards lobi when "traditional" elements of STO (PVE events and FE's) are not being undermined by those other elements. At no point for example are you faced with a situation where a standard commodity, say dilithium, has been made less accessible with any new addition to the game, particularly the new monetary schemes. In fact its quite the opposite, all content is more accessible now. All rewards are greater now. Dilithium, gear, ships, cryptic's even dipped into their supply of c-store content to fill out promotions.

This is characteristics not of operative conditioning but of runaway positive reinforcement where in order to maintain player behavior cryptic is forced to throw more and more out there into the community. For every + there is simply another + without the oh-so-critical - to condition players towards lobi or the C-store. Those merely exist to take advantage of the extremes of player investment, opportunistically skimming from the fervor created by the game's manically developing gameplay structure. Don't fixate on those elements, as you are likely to misinterpret the whole game (which is manipulative but at the level of gameplay, not sales tactics.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited February 2014
    errab wrote: »
    Greetings all,

It seems that Cryptic is trying to bribe some of us who are on the fence about the new loader they will soon be more or less forcing on us into opting in early by giving us some trinkets.

I'll say this:

I do not see the need for a new launcher for STO sine the one I have does just fine IMO.

But you know what would more than likely get me and I'd be willing to bet quite a few others to opt in and tow the line for the new Launcher?

If using the new launcher for STO gets me the ability to buy the rare versions of the Hanger Jem'Hadar Attack ships from the shipyard vendor ;)

The trinkets need to be something that I'd actually use.

Thanks for your Time

Actually, I COULD see the Jem'Hadar fighter or the Tier 1 Andorian ship being used as incentives for something...
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Are you new to video gaming , companies do this all the time when they want to roll out something new that will be mandatory.

It helps them later when it becomes mandatory. Instead of just saying Here everyone has to use arc, they get as many people as they can with gifts and stuff, so when the mandatory roll out comes a long (and it will ) not everyone at the same time will be Downloading and installing . Just like when they merged Cryptic accounts with PWE...this practice is not new.... Ever get a sample at a store,guess what that's a company bribing you to buy their stuff. :eek:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Arc will be mandatory eventually, but at this moment and for at least a couple of months, it is not necessary. Just download Arc and login with it to just get the rewards and don't use it until PWE forces Arc to be necessary or another promotion is released.

The reason why I started using Arc is due to problems that recently happened with the STO launcher. One evening had it so that it took hours to just update the launcher and now I can't even use the STO launcher without getting some error.

Personally, I have no problem with Arc. It is just software like Steam and makes it easier to manage my games.
    edited February 2014
    Yeah because STO is the only game , not like ALL PWE games are giving out stuff for free if you use ARC... You can yell at Cryptic all you want but it's not Cryptic, it's all PWE games, and as much as you guys think STO is special it's not.....PWE paid money for Cryptic, and Cryptic has to get in line, and do as they are told.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Meh, I can install ARC, claim the perks, then uninstall ARC.

I install it, and then just use it once when the yrun a perk, but have it set so it's autoload stuff doesn't come up and use the original launcher. lol
  • paspinallpaspinall Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Arc will be mandatory eventually, but at this moment and for at least a couple of months, it is not necessary. Just download Arc and login with it to just get the rewards and don't use it until PWE forces Arc to be necessary or another promotion is released.

The reason why I started using Arc is due to problems that recently happened with the STO launcher. One evening had it so that it took hours to just update the launcher and now I can't even use the STO launcher without getting some error.

Personally, I have no problem with Arc. It is just software like Steam and makes it easier to manage my games.

If it becomes mandatory that would force them to take it off steam, now making youuse steam or arc for it though that i can see.
    edited February 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Yeah because STO is the only game , not like ALL PWE games are giving out stuff for free if you use ARC... You can yell at Cryptic all you want but it's not Cryptic, it's all PWE games, and as much as you guys think STO is special it's not.....PWE paid money for Cryptic, and Cryptic has to get in line, and do as they are told.

STO is special in one particular method. In order to get the Arc Rewards from STO, you need to log into the game through Arc. All other PWE games just require to redeem a key into Arc. You don't even need to install Arc onto your main gaming computer, just download it at work for the other games. Assuming that it is not against work policy or they don't check what you do on your work computer.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    paspinall wrote: »
    If it becomes mandatory that would force them to take it off steam, now making youuse steam or arc for it though that i can see.

Steam vs ARC

You know which people will pick :cool:
    XzRTofz.gif
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    starkaos wrote: »

Pretty much this. It's just Discount Steam. Really, how anyone can have a problem with ARC, yet use Steam with not a pip of distress is baffling.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
    edited February 2014
    Pretty much this. It's just Discount Steam. Really, how anyone can have a problem with ARC, yet use Steam with not a pip of distress is baffling.

Do you have a download link for Jukebox Hero in the Original Klingon?
    edited February 2014
    This game may die once ARC becomes mandatory because hardcore fans will be scared away as well as some of the casual ones that distrust ARC. Just patiently waiting for that day because the backlash will not be pretty and Cryptic will realize it has driven the final dagger through the heart of STO....
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
    edited February 2014
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    This game may die once ARC becomes mandatory because hardcore fans will be scared away as well as some of the casual ones that distrust ARC. Just patiently waiting for that day because the backlash will not be pretty and Cryptic will realize it has driven the final dagger through the heart of STO....

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!

lol :D
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited February 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!

lol :D

I shall leave you as you left me.....marooned for all eternity on a planet where only bran flakes are served and the only digital online gaming platform available is arc.....

KNUHHhhhhhhtebbbbbbbbbbbbbb!!!!
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited February 2014

I really wish I knew. It's one thing that you're running old computers and just can't upgrade. It's another when you're trying to justify your hate by out-and-out paranoia.
  • gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Honestly I don't mind these bribes. Free stuff!
    edited February 2014
    Meh, I can install ARC, claim the perks, then uninstall ARC.

And what if they did weekly rewards? Or required it for the next daily free Lobi promotion or daily C-Store giveaway?

They could conceivably have a month where every day has a prize claimable through Arc.

Or a month where dilithium gains and refinement doubles, only for Arc users.

And it will eventually be mandatory.
    edited February 2014
    paspinall wrote: »

I don't see why the Steam link couldn't just launch Arc or a slimmed down version of Arc.

They're getting rid of the current patcher/launcher. They might replace that with a single game version of Arc for Steam and maybe Mac users but it would still be Arc for relevant purposes. Arc will be taking over as the patcher/launcher in any case.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It's just Perfect World's way of smoothing the eventual transition to ARC.

Honestly, I prefer some purple rocks over shuttles, Lobi, and half-assed canon outfits...

The hair was nice at least.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,185 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    errab wrote: »

They are not bribes. Rewards / promotions were always promised with ARC since it was launched at the end of May 2013.
This discussion has been closed.