test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Free Shuttle & Lobi Ending Soon! [Now Ended]

Comments

• vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    olivia211 wrote: »
    While in the game, press U and look at the new shuttle. Now take the points and face them downward.

You now have the bottom half of Captain Proton's rocket ship.

You're welcome.

Your point is.
    edited February 2014
    olivia211 wrote: »
    You can also just block ARC from having internet access so nothing about your machine gets sent back to them. Not that hard, really.

Right. How about not having to be mandated to install ARC? That's even simplier.
  • olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Your point is.

This is the part where you go haha! Lighten up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avYnhH95u_0
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    why is it when signed into arc with my account name and password on going to the forum I need to again sign in with my account name and password before leaving a comment?

also the usual copy and paste functions fail to work correctly within the forum.

the above 2 faults make the forum feature within arc only any good for a read only experience and if I was intending to leave my own comments in a thread I might as well go to the web page within a browser and use that instead, ok I would still need to sign in but at least I would have the fully functioning edit facilities at my disposal.

and as most times I go to the forum I end up leaving a comment this makes the forum feature in arc rather pointless.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    As for you, you are a moderator for the forum. So, you have vested interest in the opinoins and thoughts of the community. Can you take it in for one moment, a lot of people don't want ARC and should not be forced to??????
    I'm completely aware of the number of people that do not want ARC. I read a lot of threads and posts, not to mention I also read other forums, talk to people on twitter, facebook, g+, my instant messengers, in games etc. So yes, I've heard all about ARC from an enormous amount of people. It's not mostly because I'm a moderator but because I'm curious overall to how this affects the global scale of PWE. It's a curiosity thing not something that anyone is paying me or asked me to do. I get that there is a good group of people that do not want ARC but can you also understand there is a good size group of people that are okay with it?

PS - I hope you know I meant when I said my entire game library I meant every game on my computer. PWE owned or not. Dunno why just makes it all nice and neat (also makes me giggle everytime I launch TOR from ARC...)
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• karr007karr007 Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    askray wrote: »
    I get that there is a good group of people that do not want ARC but can you also understand there is a good size group of people that are okay with it

Ok let them use it, but why it has to be mandatory? I am not fan of cryptic, i am not fan of PWE, i am fan of Star Trek. I don't need their crappy 3rd party software.
  • salem1574salem1574 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    My response to ARC

We can stand here for all eternity, and I will never choose to go with you!
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,185 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    Moderators are freelance social media contractors.

You are technically a volunteer employee similar to an unpaid intern.

Moderator = Forum Public Relations Liaison

Since the forum is owned by a corporate entity, rather than a fan controlled community, the role of a corporate moderator is to project Cryptic in a positive manner.

You get a future job reference from Cryptic; therefore, you are technically compensated for your work.

That is so untrue of the moderators here on this forum. Each moderator on their posts has a comment stating that their comments may not represent that of either Cryptic or PWE. The moderators are players just like you and I, and with the same passion for STO. Moderators like AskRay, BlueGeek etc do a mighty fine job in keeping the forum in check, assuring each and every players safety, they are a major factor in why this forum is not just a forum, a community, but a family.
    edited February 2014
    I'm completely aware of the number of people that do not want ARC. I read a lot of threads and posts, not to mention I also read other forums, talk to people on twitter, facebook, g+, my instant messengers, in games etc. So yes, I've heard all about ARC from an enormous amount of people. It's not mostly because I'm a moderator but because I'm curious overall to how this affects the global scale of PWE. It's a curiosity thing not something that anyone is paying me or asked me to do. I get that there is a good group of people that do not want ARC but can you also understand there is a good size group of people that are okay with it?

PS - I hope you know I meant when I said my entire game library I meant every game on my computer. PWE owned or not. Dunno why just makes it all nice and neat (also makes me giggle everytime I launch TOR from ARC...)

If someone likes ARC, fine. They can use it till their heart contempt. The players who do not want to use it or cannot be able to use, do not make it mandatory. It keeps both parties happy.

If Cryptic / Star Trek Online payed more attention to content and quality of the game, just maybe people would subscribe to the game instead of playing F2P. As I was once a subscriber, but seeing the quality of the game a year ago I decided to subscribe to Second Life.
    edited February 2014
    eazzie wrote: »
    That is so untrue of the moderators here on this forum. Each moderator on their posts has a comment stating that their comments may not represent that of either Cryptic or PWE. The moderators are players just like you and I, and with the same passion for STO. Moderators like AskRay, BlueGeek etc do a mighty fine job in keeping the forum in check, assuring each and every players safety, they are a major factor in why this forum is not just a forum, a community, but a family.

If they can get recommendations or references from Cryptic, Pefect World, or Star Trek Online, period. They fall into the line of being under Cryptic umbrella. Sorry. You are wrong. There's even staff who play Star Trek Online so the argument really isn't valid.
  • captainjgeecaptainjgee Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sammyspet1 wrote: »
    no you didnt, as no one forced you to try ARC. no one has held a gun up to peoples head and said "try it or die"

Not yet, but I guarantee we will all be forced to use ARC in the next few months, no matter what any one says, and judging by the free stuff they're throwing at it, it will be sooner rather than later. I was getting in early to see if it would still be worth investing time or money into the game. Btw I tested ARC before they started bribing players with free stuff.
    sammyspet1 wrote: »
    again no you dont, it is your choice to download it. they are trying to do somehting nice and get greedy players like this one. as this below would prove it

They are not trying to do something nice, they are only trying to get players to play and therefore spend money on other PWE games. I'm not greedy, I never took any of the Cryptic free bribe stuff that they gave away. You clearly didn't get my joke, here it is simply. No matter what you give away, I will never use ARC. I tested ARC and found it unreliable, a resource hog and a massive security concern.
  • lordlalolordlalo Member Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    WTF are you talking about. I haven't had one bad patch yet using ARC. Again I have absolutely no clue what all this doom the sky is falling TRIBBLE is about. Never had a virus, never had an ad or commercials or anything else anybody is yapping about.

I turn on arc, pick my game, it lets me know what is new in the game, just like on the forums, infact FROM ARC if I so choose I can ACCESS this forum. Sorry I don't have a frakkin clue what ARC you are talking about.

Obvously you have not used it lately or performed a clean install for it. Allow me to explain:

My dad is a mechanic, the only computer interaction he gets is as shop forman at the garage. He is a Trek fan and the moment he found all his grandkids were playing, well lets just say it came up as a belated xmas present to get him on STO.

I literally just boxed up a pc just for STO (and facebook) for him. During a fresh install, after all windows updates, directx, drivers, etc, I go hunting for the STO patcher - it does not exist officially.

I install arc. After installing Arc, I then install STO. I close Arc completely and open STO from the patcher.

After a 12Gb download, I get this message:

"Error, cannot access file for writing that is locked by another process. Retrying 1"

Eventually you just have to close the patcher. Patch again, same thing.

Open arc, and patch -- it works flawlessly.

This is an indication of "file tagging" similar to the way files are tagged in repositories. But ultimately, it is a guarantee that only arc can be used to patch STO once you get it.

So you ask what I'm talking about -- that is what I'm talking about.

So lets recap and examine this for a moment:

Virus:
    A computer virus is a type of malware that, when executed, replicates by inserting copies of itself (possibly modified) into other computer programs, data files, or the boot sector of the hard drive; when this replication succeeds, the affected areas are then said to be "infected".[1][2][3] Viruses often perform some type of harmful activity on infected hosts, such as stealing hard disk space or CPU time, accessing private information, corrupting data, displaying political or humorous messages on the user's screen, spamming their contacts, or logging their keystrokes. However, not all viruses carry a destructive payload or attempt to hide themselves?the defining characteristic of viruses is that they are self-replicating computer programs which install themselves without the user's consent.

<SNIP>

Motives for creating viruses can include seeking profit, desire to send a political message, personal amusement, to demonstrate that a vulnerability exists in software, for sabotage and denial of service, or simply because they wish to explore artificial life and evolutionary algorithms.[12]

1. Does it copy its own code into other places of the computer without your consent? check
    2. Is it detrimental? It won't let you use the patcher in standalone mode so... check

Arc has the hallmarks of a virus.
    Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
  • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Thanks, this freebie motivated me to get a D'kora and make a Ferengi toon. The D'kora and shuttle will be my toon's end game ship. :D
    edited February 2014
    sentinel64 wrote: »
    Thanks, this freebie motivated me to get a D'kora and make a Ferengi toon. The D'kora and shuttle will be my toon's end game ship. :D

Think I'll watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejyVZKcsn3w

Cheesy ships internals but at least more realistic then this giveaway ship going against a Borg Sphere.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Oh my God, how obvious does this have to be? They don't come out with a concise disclosure of the functionality of the software or any announcement of their future plans. No they just wave shiny baubles under your nose. Does no-one find this the least bit unusual?
    Hey little boy, want some candy? Un F-ing believable.

as it is a beta program and therefore in the testing stage its not unusual to offer a reward for testing and feedback.

only with testing and feedback from users will they get to the stage where it will be more accepted by the players who haven't tried it yet.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• erraberrab Member Posts: 1,434 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    lordlalo wrote: »
    Obvously you have not used it lately or performed a clean install for it. Allow me to explain:

My dad is a mechanic, the only computer interaction he gets is as shop forman at the garage. He is a Trek fan and the moment he found all his grandkids were playing, well lets just say it came up as a belated xmas present to get him on STO.

I literally just boxed up a pc just for STO (and facebook) for him. During a fresh install, after all windows updates, directx, drivers, etc, I go hunting for the STO patcher - it does not exist officially.

I install arc. After installing Arc, I then install STO. I close Arc completely and open STO from the patcher.

After a 12Gb download, I get this message:

"Error, cannot access file for writing that is locked by another process. Retrying 1"

Eventually you just have to close the patcher. Patch again, same thing.

Open arc, and patch -- it works flawlessly.

This is an indication of "file tagging" similar to the way files are tagged in repositories. But ultimately, it is a guarantee that only arc can be used to patch STO once you get it.

So you ask what I'm talking about -- that is what I'm talking about.

I have to admit that I find it strange that the current STO launcher now has a bit of a delay when it loads up now and I also find it strange that it can sometimes take hours to update even tiny STO updates.

For the record I do not fear ARC; however, I also feel that I have nothing to gain from it has well.

I currently only play one MMO and that's STO and I really have no other interest in any other PWE products.

I've tried Neverwinter but grew tired of it after a month.

I have a steam account that I log into maybe once or twice a year and the only reason that I have it is because I bought a video card years ago that came with a free Steam Pack that gave me Half Life 1 and 2 and 3-4 more games that I never bothered to install.

If I had to use one or the other to continue playing STO I'd go with Steam.

Has I said in my OP if Cryptic wants to get more players to climb onto ARC they should consider the 1000's of players that felt burned by the locking away of the Hanger Attack Ships for the JHDC.

Offer the ability to purchase the Basic Rare Bug Hangers from the Ship vendors has a bonus for helping test out ARC.

The Advanced and Elite versions of the Bug Hangers would still be restricted behind needing the lock Box Bug

IMO the move would go a long way in helping boost the number of players that use ARC here in STO and would also end all the post about how locking away the Hanger bugs behind needing to own both the JHDC and the JHAS was unfair to the owners of the JHDC.

I'd call it a good PR move ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Reality check: Arc will eventually be mandatory.

Deal with it.

Yes...and we know exactly how that's going to go down.

Arc will be mandatory and Cryptic will have no reason at that point to offer any incentives. So all the people now who are refusing to install it because the free gifts aren't "good enough" will start immediately whining for their Khan uniforms and their Ferengi shuttle.
  • vaernminavaernmina Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Reality check: Arc will eventually be mandatory.

Deal with it.

For the few days it takes for people to put together a mod that removes the need for it. :P
  • gemetzelgemetzel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Awesome little ship with a neat shield and free lobi. Thanks!

I use Steam as my primary game launcher and quite frankly the Arc client doesn't offer me any reason to switch permanently. If they can find some other way to add value with Arc other than making it mandatory to play PWE games they'll have a win. In the mean time download, log in for free items and log out. Steam has all my friends, screenshot functionality and (coming soon!) an integrated music player.

ARC has a long way to go.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    as it is a beta program and therefore in the testing stage its not unusual to offer a reward for testing and feedback.

only with testing and feedback from users will they get to the stage where it will be more accepted by the players who haven't tried it yet.

Now, if they will just tell me what ARC is doing once I've launched my game I'll happily install it.

I mean, they must know what its doing right?

Who'd release a piece of software thats actively doing something they didn't intend?

Thus, they know.

So tell me and I'll install it. Simple.
  • tim40219tim40219 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Arc is slow for me on my Alienware...anyone else have this issue?
    Admiral TJ Gibson
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • varnoukhvarnoukh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I hadn't been playing for a while when the Khan offer came up and had to google Arc.

I was horrified by what I found. Spyware attached to a game client is not even remotely ok.

While there's been no announcement that everyone will eventually be forced to use Arc that possibility - which would definitely see me leave the game - makes me see STO as an uncertain prospect and possibly not worth spending any more time or money on.

You can keep your freebies. Arc is not getting anywhere near my computer.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    squadalaxd wrote: »
    **** Arc. Pathetic bribes.

I've been finding them to be pretty good bribes.

KEEP 'EM COMING CRYPTIC!
    <3
  • salem1574salem1574 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Ya know I've heard that "STO will die" so many times in the past 4 years it's just laughable at this stage. When they make arc mandatory (they've already said numerous times it's happening so accept it now) there will be an outcry and a few "i quit" threads but really it'll not be in the droves people think it'll be. ARC isn't anymore spyware than steam or origin, it's been proven what's sent connection wise back and fourth by a few people on other threads. But of course, nothing anyone says will convince certain people so meh have fun in that world :)

As for the time limit on this reward and no mac option I use this as a possible sign of the fact they will have a mac option in that time frame. That's my hope anyways if it's going to happen or not is another story.

Keep in mind what happens to companies who have the AUDACITY to DICTATE to their customer bases on how they will shop or in this case play?

Cases in point: Ron Johnson formerly of J.C. Penny and Edward Lambert presently of Sears Holding. Customer bases have been known to bring even beloved companies to their knees because of stupid and out of touch ideas.

Never, alienate your customer base?
    That is a basic precept of business.
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If you drop an other 400 Lobi in the pot I may download ARC
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    varnoukh wrote: »
    I hadn't been playing for a while when the Khan offer came up and had to google Arc.

I was horrified by what I found. Spyware attached to a game client is not even remotely ok.

While there's been no announcement that everyone will eventually be forced to use Arc that possibility - which would definitely see me leave the game - makes me see STO as an uncertain prospect and possibly not worth spending any more time or money on.

You can keep your freebies. Arc is not getting anywhere near my computer.

As someone who has Arc and used Arc since August, I can tell you that you've been fooled by the tin foil hat wearers. There are no spyware at all and I have up-to-date virus and malware detectors.

This is going to be Arc's ultimate hurdle: will future players trust the company or trust the complainers who will go to great lengths to keep it out?
  • anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    variant37 wrote: »
    Arc will be mandatory and Cryptic will have no reason at that point to offer any incentives. So all the people now who are refusing to install it because the free gifts aren't "good enough" will start immediately whining for their Khan uniforms and their Ferengi shuttle.
    Someone call the WHAAAAAAAMbulance! :P
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • shireknightshireknight Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the gifts ARC :)

Now what is the shuttle for, does it mean I can now do shuttle missions or do I use it to go down to planets or something please?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shireknightshireknight Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This is going to be Arc's ultimate hurdle: will future players trust the company or trust the complainers who will go to great lengths to keep it out?

Exactly this, the person who told me about STO specifically warned me to install the game via Steam and not ARC so I did.

When I read about the Khan outfit giveaway I cautiously installed ARC on my old PC and used that to access the goodies instead of using my main gaming PC and to be honest I couldn't see anything about ARC that would put me off using it permanently.

I'll keep using Steam now I started but really it's only because I'm used to it and of course Steam is keeping track of how many hours I have spent on the game so far.

If ARC became mandatory it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There are no spyware at all and I have up-to-date virus and malware detectors.
    ?

Really, because mine caught it when I installed ARC for the gear. It tried to install background ware and edit my registry for absolutely no reason.
This discussion has been closed.