test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Free Shuttle & Lobi Ending Soon! [Now Ended]

Comments

• gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kozar2 wrote: »
    Really, because mine caught it when I installed ARC for the gear. It tried to install background ware and edit my registry for absolutely no reason.

Ever thought of the possibility that something else tried to infect your computer at the same time you were downloading it? It could be anything, really, though I'm certain that you'll be adamant that it was Arc.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Really, because mine caught it when I installed ARC for the gear. It tried to install background ware and edit my registry for absolutely no reason.

And there's no possible way it was a false positive? I have my anti-virus/anti-malware programs trip constantly over false positives. Editing your computer's registry is a normal behavior for many installed programs, not just malware or spyware.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    lordlalo wrote: »
    Obvously you have not used it lately or performed a clean install for it. Allow me to explain:

My dad is a mechanic, the only computer interaction he gets is as shop forman at the garage. He is a Trek fan and the moment he found all his grandkids were playing, well lets just say it came up as a belated xmas present to get him on STO.

I literally just boxed up a pc just for STO (and facebook) for him. During a fresh install, after all windows updates, directx, drivers, etc, I go hunting for the STO patcher - it does not exist officially.

I install arc. After installing Arc, I then install STO. I close Arc completely and open STO from the patcher.

After a 12Gb download, I get this message:

"Error, cannot access file for writing that is locked by another process. Retrying 1"

Eventually you just have to close the patcher. Patch again, same thing.

Open arc, and patch -- it works flawlessly.

This is an indication of "file tagging" similar to the way files are tagged in repositories. But ultimately, it is a guarantee that only arc can be used to patch STO once you get it.

So you ask what I'm talking about -- that is what I'm talking about.

So lets recap and examine this for a moment:

Virus:

1. Does it copy its own code into other places of the computer without your consent? check
    2. Is it detrimental? It won't let you use the patcher in standalone mode so... check

Arc has the hallmarks of a virus.

Maybe that happened for YOU, didn't have an issue at all. Sounds like operator or computer error on your end. ARC didn't do a damn thing to either PC i've played STO so far on. Stop saying that your issue is the issue for all.

Clearly it isn't. And FYI gone to school for tad over 2 years for computer networking, thanks for explaining what I already knew about a virus.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    May as well see what the fuss about the metaphasic shields are... can always uninstall Arc afterwards :o
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kurgan2001kurgan2001 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So after having it on the laptop and evaluating arc, I couldn't find anything bad about it. Sure it uses resources as it's a launcher and adds a special overlay to the game. Nothing triggered on Avast! or malwarebytes anti-malware.

I expect it to run slowish on the laptop as the laptop isn't a 'gaming' laptop. I took the plunge and installed it on my main rig. Hardly noticed it and it can be disabled on start up. Again, AV and that showed nothing. I think it's pretty safe. Besides, if they wanna sell your data, they will anyway. You agreed to the EULA when you installed and started playing.
  • salem1574salem1574 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Why should we the player base of Star Trek Online inconvenience ourselves just to satisfy a corporate marketing program?

Just who do you think pays for Star Trek Online to operate in first place?

Anyone who buys ZEN or buys a lifetime Membership thats who!
  • kurgan2001kurgan2001 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    salem1574 wrote: »
    Why should we the player base of Star Trek Online inconvenience ourselves just to satisfy a corporate marketing program?

Just who do you think pays for Star Trek Online to operate in first place?

Anyone who buys ZEN or buys a lifetime Membership thats who!

Not to defend it, but it isn't just for STO. You can use it as a launcher for all your games, like the mod said earlier.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Maybe that happened for YOU, didn't have an issue at all. Sounds like operator or computer error on your end. ARC didn't do a damn thing to either PC i've played STO so far on. Stop saying that your issue is the issue for all.

Clearly it isn't. And FYI gone to school for tad over 2 years for computer networking, thanks for explaining what I already knew about a virus.
    Same here. I have no issues using STO without Arc. His issue sounds like the file is locked for editing by the patcher. Try it again after closing Arc.

And contrary to one of the other popular rumors.... Arc does NOT always run in the background. If configured properly it can be turned on and off at will... at least in Windows. The main person I've heard rant about it not closing, complained that you have to use "kill -9" command to stop the process.... which is a dead giveaway that he's running Arc in a Unix based system.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    eazzie wrote: »
    That is so untrue of the moderators here on this forum. Each moderator on their posts has a comment stating that their comments may not represent that of either Cryptic or PWE. The moderators are players just like you and I, and with the same passion for STO. Moderators like AskRay, BlueGeek etc do a mighty fine job in keeping the forum in check, assuring each and every players safety, they are a major factor in why this forum is not just a forum, a community, but a family.
    "STO's" forums are not the same as a fan controlled community forum.

PerfectWorld/Cryptic Moderators 'represent' the company. Regardless about what their signatures state, the reality is 180 degrees in the other direction. While they may 'slightly' disagree with the company's policies, the forum moderators are hired to promote a positive environment. Moderators are used to befriend everyone, so that Cryptic can maintain a positive relationship with players.

Consumer forums (corporate forums) are way different than fan (hobbyist) controlled forums. 'STO's' forums (corporate) are used for advertising, consumer feedback, and public relations.

Cryptic's Moderators (similar to BioWare's moderators) are used to 'spread the word' on new game additions, features, and perks. Its part of the job.

BioWare Social is used in the same manner.
  • captfabulouscaptfabulous Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Um, maybe because it runs in the background to give you chat functions (just like Steam) and needs to update the registry to keep track of your games?

This does not make it spyware.

For all the ******** and moaning about ARC and claims of it being spyware I have yet to see anyone provide any proof whatsoever that it does anything more than act as a game launcher and community hub for PWE games.

Now if someone can provide me with concrete documented proof to the contrary I would be more than happy to review it. Till then, you're all just pulling poo out of your asses.
    edited February 2014
    Same here. I have no issues using STO without Arc. His issue sounds like the file is locked for editing by the patcher. Try it again after closing Arc.

And contrary to one of the other popular rumors.... Arc does NOT always run in the background. If configured properly it can be turned on and off at will... at least in Windows. The main person I've heard rant about it not closing, complained that you have to use "kill -9" command to stop the process.... which is a dead giveaway that he's running Arc in a Unix based system.

I've put ARC on two PCS now, my old laptop, and then on my new desktop that replaced my laptop.

Haven't had 1 issue anybody here is griping about. If people like steam, hey that's your look out. But if people are merely just jumping on the bandwagon because they fear it, it`s just sad.

To the guy I had replied to that you quoted, IMHO, he got said virus from something else, and it conflicted with ARC.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Um, maybe because it runs in the background to give you chat functions (just like Steam) and needs to update the registry to keep track of your games?

Ok, then can you tell me if the chat function can be turned off and patching set to on-demand?

Thing is, where I live, bandwidth is not awesome.

If I don't need it, I turn it off.

So, i don't run multiplayer games through steam for just that reason, preferring to use their own launchers if possible to keep bandwidth useage to the minimum.

Thus, while I'd have no ideological objection to ARC, I'd like to know to what extent it can be configured to minimise performance issues.
    edited February 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Ok, then can you tell me if the chat function can be turned off and patching set to on-demand?

So, i don't run multiplayer games through steam for just that reason, preferring to use their own launchers if possible to keep bandwidth useage to the minimum.

Thus, while I'd have no ideological objection to ARC, I'd like to know to what extent it can be configured to minimise performance issues.

Ok in ALL seriousness, you can start arc, star up the STOL launcher, completely shut off arc, run the game like normal. Don't need ARC running at all to run STOL. Just need it to get the launcher going.

Asinine yes, but it's nothing major.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Ok in ALL seriousness, you can start arc, star up the STOL launcher, completely shut off arc, run the game like normal. Don't need ARC running at all to run STOL. Just need it to get the launcher going.

Asinine yes, but it's nothing major.

And this closes ARC down entirely while you're playing?

Reason i ask is that a dev posting in the galactic news network seemed to imply that turning it off entirely wasn't an enabled option atm.
  • warlockx1warlockx1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    No, if you already had STO installed, uninstalling Arc won't remove your STO, or any other Cryptic launchers you might have.

cool, then freebies it is. Happy with Steam on my laptop and original on my desktop...and seeing comments have no intent on keeping ARC.
    edited February 2014
    And this closes ARC down entirely while you're playing?

Reason i ask is that a dev posting in the galactic news network seemed to imply that turning it off entirely wasn't an enabled option atm.

I have shut it down then went down to my mini-menu and shut it off down there and it does not adversely affect me in any way shape or form.
    afMSv4g.jpg

edited February 2014

You can set Arc to not automatically log into the chat server on startup.

But as far as I can tell, at least for me, you cannot shut down Arc while one of its games is running.
  • id0liciousid0licious Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    reximuz wrote: »
    They have already said several times, including in this thread, that Arc will eventually replace the Cryptic launcher, at that point, if not sooner, your options will be to use Steam or Arc or Not Play.

I have and will always choose Steam over this..."software."

Offer me a Bug Ship (since you screwed me out of getting the frigates for my JHDC behind THE most expensive lottery ship in the game...god, greed much?) and I'll throw Arc and my rarely-used laptop and then never use it again, sure...just like I never use Origin because it's a POS too. When are devs/pubs gonna learn that we don't want a f*cking giant marketing-filled launcher for every different publisher? I think it's pretty hilarious that I'm expected to run all of these different "commercials" on my PC. I skipped BF4 entirely because of that trash called Origin; do you think your game(s) are an exception?

Yeah, I'll pass. It's like you don't want half of your players to stick around, which is strange.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited February 2014

This does not make it spyware.

For all the ******** and moaning about ARC and claims of it being spyware I have yet to see anyone provide any proof whatsoever that it does anything more than act as a game launcher and community hub for PWE games.

Now if someone can provide me with concrete documented proof to the contrary I would be more than happy to review it. Till then, you're all just pulling poo out of your asses.

Then answer me this, why does ARC install BHOs? I don't recall giving permission for PW to alter my Internet Browsers.
    edited February 2014
    Then answer me this, why does ARC install BHOs? I don't recall giving permission for PW to alter my Internet Browsers.

Because ARC allows you to get to the forums without having to run a web browser. Amazing isn't it?
    afMSv4g.jpg

• bobbydigital36bobbydigital36 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I just sat through a new install of the game and wasted a whole night of play, then I cancelled it after I realized that it wasn't patch updating..... now I'm updating 2320mb and its slow as hell... I have 40 mbps internet!! I hate you Arc you are the devil!!! thanks for not letting me play tonight and saving the universe from the borg and Q has been wating for me to party all night... F U Arc :mad:
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    twg042370 wrote: »
    I've been finding them to be pretty good bribes.

KEEP 'EM COMING CRYPTIC!

I still don't understand why people are getting upset over free stuff.
    edited February 2014
    unikon wrote: »
    I reckon its not about the free stuff.

If you don't like Arc, just use Steam!
    edited February 2014

It allows you to launch games via Arc from the game's website. For example, if you go to sto.perfectworld.com there is a big button that says "play now on arc". If you click that button the BHO automatically launches Arc and starts STO. It's not spyware, it's a feature, one you can easily disable if you choose.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Now, if they will just tell me what ARC is doing once I've launched my game I'll happily install it.

I mean, they must know what its doing right?

Who'd release a piece of software thats actively doing something they didn't intend?

Thus, they know.

So tell me and I'll install it. Simple.

providing you have de-selected the share data option when installing the answer is simple, its just waiting ideally in the background in case you to call in with the hotkey or at least that's all it should be doing.

I haven't seen any indication that it is doing any more then that and I should see a warning from my spyware software if it was.

but heres a question, push ctrl+alt+delete select task manager and click the processes tab, see how many things are active in the background, can you say with any certainty that none of them are not ever doing anything without your knowledge?

on I side note I keep seeing complaints from people that arc gives adverts about other pw games, I can honestly say the only stuff I have seen is all related to sto. and is mostly the news postings that you see on the web page.

the only thing I will say against arc is that it does use a lot more memory, to most users this will not be a problem but some users with less memory might have a problem, my laptop has 4gb memory and does not seem to have any problems with it yet.
    but then isn't this common with software, things change and grow all the time and we are always in a race with software developers to have pc`s that have enough recourses to run software that has changed and grown.
    I may find in a few years even my laptop will not run sto with or without arc.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• sammyspet1sammyspet1 Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Not yet, but I guarantee we will all be forced to use ARC in the next few months, no matter what any one says, and judging by the free stuff they're throwing at it, it will be sooner rather than later. I was getting in early to see if it would still be worth investing time or money into the game. Btw I tested ARC before they started bribing players with free stuff.

They are not trying to do something nice, they are only trying to get players to play and therefore spend money on other PWE games. I'm not greedy, I never took any of the Cryptic free bribe stuff that they gave away. You clearly didn't get my joke, here it is simply. No matter what you give away, I will never use ARC. I tested ARC and found it unreliable, a resource hog and a massive security concern.

where is your prof?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

wanted to beat the Delta Meme n00bs LOL
    Join Date a player made up is NOT correct!
    edited February 2014
    unikon wrote: »
    I already use Steam. But the response was specifically about the free stuff remark. Its not about the free stuff. It never has.

Get free stuff, wipe hard drive, use steam, ???, profit.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Get free stuff, wipe hard drive, use steam, ???, profit.

That's Crazy TALK !! you're a madman a MAAAD MAN!!!
    GwaoHAD.png
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sammyspet1 wrote: »
    where is your prof?

She's hanging out in her office like she always does after class. :P
  • sammyspet1sammyspet1 Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    She's hanging out in her office like she always does after class. :P

so in other words you haters have no prof... just all you haters got is your dislike for something new..

if you have prof then reply..

if you do not have prof then dont
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

wanted to beat the Delta Meme n00bs LOL
    Join Date a player made up is NOT correct!
This discussion has been closed.