test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Feedback on upcoming Ground Kit Revamp

Comments

• mli777mli777 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Customizing the kits is fine but If Geko listens to this making the special universal devices into kit abilities is simply a mistake. The device working quite well right now and a good advice is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
    USS Canada
    N.C.C. 171867
    Sovereign Class
    Saint John Fleet Yard
    "A Mari Usque Ad Mare"
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Biggest issue I can see without reading the rest of this thread or listening to the podcast is that we do not have enough inventory slots for this system. If we wish to have a pair of kits now we take two slots up. Under the new system a pair of kits would take 6 slots, 1 for the kit we wear and another 5 for the powers we havent slotted yet. If we can be assured kit powers would be available as a skill interface and not have to keep slotting physical devices (unless we had a separate inventory for them) I would go for this.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Geko confirmed that all existing kits in the game will be kept in their existing clusters when the game goes live. Players make take apart the cluster, but they apparently won't be required to do so. Thus, medical kits will still be put together. However, if you have a Borg Medical Analyst kit, it would be wise to sell it soon. Once this goes live, players will be capable of running that kit combination without paying millions of energy credits.

In a way this bothers me.

Some of us have the Borg medical Analyst kit. It was once considered the best kit for tanking in Borg ground stfs. It only has 4 abilities, but the heals plus tachyon harmonics made it premium. It will be made worthless with these changes. Further, many have purchased rep system kits for considerable resources to gain a single, usually useful but less powerful ability. These kits will also lose value.

I have never liked the current kits because so many things about them make no sense. Either one is trained to do sweeping strikes or a lunge attack or they aren't. They have nothing to do with equipment carried. Grenade selection is different. If some wants to carry a mix of grenade types for broader mission capability so be it, but the kit type limiting the captain to carrying all grenade types and not having physical attacks like lunge or sweeping strikes again makes no sense. See the problems?

Yes, the kit system needs a complete rework, but that rework needs to make sense while not reducing the value of items many have worked to obtain.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • veryth12veryth12 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    dirlettia wrote: »
    Biggest issue I can see without reading the rest of this thread or listening to the podcast is that we do not have enough inventory slots for this system. If we wish to have a pair of kits now we take two slots up. Under the new system a pair of kits would take 6 slots, 1 for the kit we wear and another 5 for the powers we havent slotted yet. If we can be assured kit powers would be available as a skill interface and not have to keep slotting physical devices (unless we had a separate inventory for them) I would go for this.

If they seperate out the kit powers they would probably do something similiar to the trait tab, where all the powers you have exsist and you just change things around. Otherwise, they would make a kit like legos, you can connect 5 together to be "1" and then break them up to change them around.

But I agree that the devices should not be made into powers. I could like with them being powers if we were given specific slots for them, but I like them as devices. It allows me to give some of them to my bridge officers. It's kind of cool watching my bridge officers use the horta pets, ophidean cane, etc. I don't have control on when they are used, but I was not goign to equip them on myself anyways, so it is an overall win.
  • lordlalolordlalo Member Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The new Priority One Podcast with CaptainGeko revealed that Season 9 will feature a new kit revamp. (Listen to Interview, jump to 25:10 for Kit Revamp)

Apparently, all kits will be broken up into individual abilities. It will then be possible to slot five kit abilities into the kit slot at level 50. However, they also plan to convert non-consumable devices, such as the Shard of Possibilities, Ophidian Cane, and the Frosted Boots into Universal kit powers. As a result, players would be forced to decide between existing class kit abilities and non-consumable devices. Geko did ask for feedback, thus I decided to start a thread on the subject.

For me personally, I'd prefer that all items currently classified as devices to remain as such. The kit revamp itself will be great, players will be able to choose between their various kit abilities. However, I think devices should remain in their current state, it adds an additional level of customization to characters. If they were converted to universal kit abilities, we would lose a level of customization and we'd be further limited on the number of usable non-consumable abilities.

I'm usually stupid on the specifics, but I thought the original plan was just to break up KIT powers an leave everything else alone so people could customize their powers (and force cryptic to ensure they're all balanced to keep an even spread of abilities in use)? If they're going into this mess then its just that, messy. The KIT idea is perfect, no problems with it, but don't go messing with my shard, staff, and batteries not unless they will be on comparable cool-downs with the other kit powers (like 60s for SoP). As it stands, with the current cooldowns, the other devices you equip aren't kit worthy -- they are "oh TRIBBLE" buttons when you find yourself in a jam, not something you usually use in combat.

Besides, what we're taking about right now is a nerf to the kit system when what they originally planned was supposed to be a buff and improvement to encourage ground combat a little more. I really wish Cryptic would stop flopping around like dirty underwear on a clothes line like this.
    Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I believe what they are actually planning with this system is a way to monetize kits in game. If kits are piecemeal they can add level IV powers to lockboxes or special kit templates with 6 slots instead of 5. They will also undoubtedly also shove in a dilithium charge at the same time.

This is certainly not something they will do just to benefit the player.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I agree. Devices should stay as devices. I don't want to have to give up kit abilities for devices.
  • no09dysonsphereno09dysonsphere Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    dirlettia wrote: »
    I believe what they are actually planning with this system is a way to monetize kits in game. If kits are piecemeal they can add level IV powers to lockboxes or special kit templates with 6 slots instead of 5. They will also undoubtedly also shove in a dilithium charge at the same time.

This is certainly not something they will do just to benefit the player.

I can see it already. Very rare profession specific abilities sold for dilithium, ultra rares in the fleet holdings for fleet credits, and non profession specific abilities added to the new lock boxes like traits are now...
  • mcduffie369mcduffie369 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I like this. Say good bye to your spam!
  • novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I love the idea of kits being separated into interchangeable segments, with five slots for them. However, I don't like the idea of making special devices into kit segments all that much; I'd rather they not do that with current items like the Featured Episode rewards.

There's a possibility with this system that I'm very curious about. Special, cross-class bonus kit segments. For example, a version of Sonic Pulse which can be used even by an engineering or tactical officer, a grenade that could also be used by a science or engineering officer, or a machine which could also be used by a tactical or science officer.

This would add some interesting possibilities for players who can get such items, such as a tactical officer with training as a field medic. Of course, these abilities would require the same kit slots as other, same-class abilities. Hopefully it would be possible to balance it due to this.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Absolutely agree that the NCD's should REMAIN Devices.

It would be a bit odd that the Prophets grant us a "mini-orb" that can magically slot into a device designed by my factions scientists.

I'd much rather it be something I keep in my pocket, let my Kit be exclusive to Kit abilities.

Even if it's adjusted to be a "Customizable" slot, it should still be things like turret fabrication or stealth module.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I love that. I wonder what they will do with "unique" kit, and I hope they'll have something for them. maybe buying them will "unlock" new skill/slot, for example the plasmathrower for the engineer kit.
    In every game I love spending hours making new build, trying things.

As for device, I beg you, keep them separate from kit slot.
    theoryfive wrote: »
    There's a possibility with this system that I'm very curious about. Special, cross-class bonus kit segments. For example, a version of Sonic Pulse which can be used even by an engineering or tactical officer, a grenade that could also be used by a science or engineering officer, or a machine which could also be used by a tactical or science officer.
    As much as I would love that, that would destroy the whole purpose of classes in the game, at least for the ground part. I know I would delete my engineers right away, and use my engi abilities on my tac instead. I never found the engineer space abilities interesting, opposed to the ground ones.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Will this affect Tribbles?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So uh, my tribbles aren't going to be taking up kit slots, right? Especially since I give them to my crew too, and they don't have kit slots...
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    nice to see kits being broken up so you can pick and choose what abilities you want instead of premade kits.

Don't like stuff like shard of possibilities being made one of those abilities. should remain devices.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    As much as I would love that, that would destroy the whole purpose of classes in the game, at least for the ground part. I know I would delete my engineers right away, and use my engi abilities on my tac instead. I never found the engineer space abilities interesting, opposed to the ground ones.

My idea was more that these cross-class kit pieces would be limited and not easy to get. Things like special mission rewards. Not all abilities would be available through this. You may only be able to slot one or two of them at a time, as well.
  • uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited February 2014
  • gwassalorgwassalor Member Posts: 164
    edited February 2014
    I like the way it is now. Don't fix it, it's not broken.

But I don't think Cryptic cares and listens. If they were interested in our opinion, they'd run a poll.
  • jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Agree with OP 100%
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    so the hard to get borg medical kit will be useless... cant say i agree with that.

even the fleet science healer kit would be useless, especially when rank 4 abilities show themselves to other kits in mix and match..

this is all assuming free choice and not one choice and the rest is filled by something else or very high dilithium requirements and such...
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    gwassalor wrote: »
    I like the way it is now. Don't fix it, it's not broken.

But I don't think Cryptic cares and listens. If they were interested in our opinion, they'd run a poll.

cryptic bring some things that work and for no logical reason they break it themselves even though its worked well for years. they better have something better then the current system. the whole point in these fixed kits was to force players to combine their various kits and powers in a team to be effective. but if teams of players start running around with carbon copies of the same kits... very much the same way boff powers have gone in pvp, a2b builds for cannons and a2b,dem,marion,bfaw build for beam and fail boats.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Leave devices as devices and open up all the kit abilities to be mixed and matched. I personally can't wait for season 9, so far its a good couple of details being revealed about it.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Slottable kit powers I guess would be ok. But don't force us to use devices as well. There are simply too many things out there.

Even putting aside fancier stuff like the cane or shard for the moment. Just dealing with 'basics', like your stack of Large Hypos. Boom, one slot. Need a Remodulator if you are going after Borg and have no STF set? Boom, one more slot.

2 slots gone already right there. And we only have 5 with that proposed system? No thanks.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I wonder how Hortas are going to work since they usually sit in device slots?
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Long story short:

Kits & Kitpowers as do-it-yourself sets = good :)
    Inventing a few totally new kitpowers to stack into that = good :)
    Reducing unique standalone items to kitpowers because they could somehow fit there = very bad :mad:
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I actually agree with Geko on this - consumables should go in Devices slots, non-consumables should go in Kit slots.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    walshicus wrote: »
    I actually agree with Geko on this - consumables should go in Devices slots, non-consumables should go in Kit slots.

why? :confused:
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    thay8472 wrote: »
    why? :confused:

Because there's no point in confusing functionally equivalent mechanics? Kits store your abilities, device slots store your consumable buffs.

Plus, I'm a big proponent of rolling back a lot of the power creep that's come into the game.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Long story short:

Kits & Kitpowers as do-it-yourself sets = good :)
    Inventing a few totally new kitpowers to stack into that = good :)
    Reducing unique standalone items to kitpowers because they could somehow fit there = very bad :mad:

^This... This just makes me ask: Why do you have to do something good that was ASKED for repeatedly and THEN add to it something BAD that was NEVER asked for or wanted?
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The drawback of making kits an "a la carte" system is that it means that every power must be ensured to be balanced to be equally strong/useful as any other, otherwise, the min/maxing choice is obvious - pick the few stand-outs and ditch the rest.

If you keep kits as a mandatory mix of powers, you can have a stinker mixed with one of the great ones.

Of course, it might be that the state of "kit balance" is such that it doesn't really matter, because they are good kits and bad kits already. In that case, whatever and good luck.

---

Special Devices as universal kit powers - sounds okay to me, though a similar concern as above applies - are all special devices equally strong, and if not, will you rebalance them?
    It might also be good to know what devices would be affected and what not.

Summon Horta Devices for example, should they work as kit power or do they stay devices? What about the frequency remodulator?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.