test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Feedback on upcoming Ground Kit Revamp

majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
The new Priority One Podcast with CaptainGeko revealed that Season 9 will feature a new kit revamp. (Listen to Interview, jump to 25:10 for Kit Revamp)

Apparently, all kits will be broken up into individual abilities. It will then be possible to slot five kit abilities into the kit slot at level 50. However, they also plan to convert non-consumable devices, such as the Shard of Possibilities, Ophidian Cane, and the Frosted Boots into Universal kit powers. As a result, players would be forced to decide between existing class kit abilities and non-consumable devices. Geko did ask for feedback, thus I decided to start a thread on the subject.

For me personally, I'd prefer that all items currently classified as devices to remain as such. The kit revamp itself will be great, players will be able to choose between their various kit abilities. However, I think devices should remain in their current state, it adds an additional level of customization to characters. If they were converted to universal kit abilities, we would lose a level of customization and we'd be further limited on the number of usable non-consumable abilities.
--->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
--->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
Post edited by majortiraomega on

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited February 2014

For me personally, I'd prefer that all items currently classified as devices to remain as such. The kit revamp itself will be great, players will be able to choose between their various kit abilities. However, I think devices should remain in their current state, it adds an additional level of customization to characters. If they were converted to universal kit abilities, we would lose a level of customization and we'd be further limited on the number of usable non-consumable abilities.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Non-consumables are not a supplement for kit powers, they are a compliment. The shard of possibilities on my three-purple-security-doff tac officer allows for the development of a distinct "horde" playstyle. If I had to choose between that and something more basic like Ambush or Motion Acceleration I'd probably loose out on that extreme gameplay pathway (unless other options were also made available.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I agree with everything said before this point.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I would hope if they do that, they'd also expand how many ability slots we have to chose from. Otherwise, yeah, that is a pretty hefty reduction in deck space. Ground's already really ability-light, and hasn't been hit by power creep nearly as hard as space.
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    hevach wrote: »
    I would hope if they do that, they'd also expand how many ability slots we have to chose from.

Personally, I want the kit slots to remain at 5, otherwise you will further decrease build variance because everyone will have enough slots to use the majority of the kit abilities. 5 kit slots and 4 device slots is perfect, splitting kits into separate abilities is great, but I don't want to see them go overboard on it by turning all non-consumable devices into kit abilities. You know what would come next, universal lockbox kit abilities with superior stats to existing kit abilities. I personally don't want to see that kind of thing added to the game.
  • sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Completely agree. I would only agree to the "conversion" mentioned by Geko if they added more slots to the kits (3 more?) specifically dedicated to these types of items.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You know, moving some devices into kit powers certainly a controversial choice, but I do think it is the right one. Keep in mind that he mentioned kits would be 5-slot items that would potentially allow you to fill it with fully upgraded abilities(rather than having a mix of high and low tier abilities).

There are still some details like how a borg modulation device or combat pets will factor into that. Overall though, I think it will be a good change for the game that embraces player choice and customization.

My only concern is feature/power creep with lockboxes like we have for space equipment. Space gear is a super-convoluted mess right now(doffs, reputations, lobi gear, etc.), and this change may very well open the door for it to happen to ground combat as well. The question that remains to be seen is whether greed will (once again) win out over solid gameplay design.
  • nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Gemmick devices just aren't as powerful as most kit abilities, and isn't worth a slot. It's like when they convert gemmick consoles, like saucer separation, from innate ability into consoles - few people wanted to gimp their fit by wasting a slot on it. It's a waste, these things offer flavor.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Personally, I want the kit slots to remain at 5, otherwise you will further decrease build variance because everyone will have enough slots to use the majority of the kit abilities.

That could quickly become the case if devices remained where they are, but with devices moved the pool of available kit abilities almost doubles (and will presumably only grow with time).

The bigger issue I think is that over time devices would overrun kit powers to the point that rather than everybody having room for most kit abilities, nobody has room for much of any kit abilities, having them choked out by better things from lockboxes or FEs. It's not a problem you run into with space powers, as they occupy incompatible spaces.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm just afraid that the revamp will kill specialty builds. Can we get an extra slot for dedicated kits, like say Medical?
    edited February 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Well sucks to be you them since its abundant clear he doesnt even read the forums and of course I never seen Cryptic taking feedback in account unless is in support of their decisions.

Even if CaptainGeko doesn't look at the forums anymore, I'm certain AdjucatorHawk or BorticusCryptic will see this thread, especially if there are enough comments. Both of them have been very open to feedback on Ground combat in the past. We have them to thank for all of the great recent bug fixes with ground.
    szerontzur wrote: »
    You know, moving some devices into kit powers certainly a controversial choice, but I do think it is the right one. Keep in mind that he mentioned kits would be 5-slot items that would potentially allow you to fill it with fully upgraded abilities(rather than having a mix of high and low tier abilities).
    I heard him say that too, but it's invalid, all players with a Mk X very rare kit have 4 level III abilities. Mk XII Fleet kits have 1 level II ability, 3 level III abilities, and 1 level IV ability. Giving us 5 level III abilities doesn't justify stripping away the ability to use device slots to slot actual devices.
    szerontzur wrote: »
    There are still some details like how a borg modulation device or combat pets will factor into that. Overall though, I think it will be a good change for the game that embraces player choice and customization.
    If what he is suggesting goes live, we will be reduced from 9 custom abilities to 5 custom abilities. Yes, the kits are in clusters, but we still get to make that choice. The only way I could see this working would be to give all players 5 class specific kit slots, 3 class neutral kit slots (for the shard of possibilities/ect.), and keep the existing device slots for consumables. We shouldn't have to choose between slotting the Shard of Possibilities and Suppressing Fire. Kit abilities and device items need to remain separate in order to preserve the significance of actual class abilities. Otherwise the kit system will inevitably dissolve into a pure lockbox "kit ability" toolset.
    edited February 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I'm just afraid that the revamp will kill specialty builds. Can we get an extra slot for dedicated kits, like say Medical?

Geko confirmed that all existing kits in the game will be kept in their existing clusters when the game goes live. Players make take apart the cluster, but they apparently won't be required to do so. Thus, medical kits will still be put together. However, if you have a Borg Medical Analyst kit, it would be wise to sell it soon. Once this goes live, players will be capable of running that kit combination without paying millions of energy credits.
  • sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Add me too the list of people who don't want to see devices such as the shard of possibilities become a kit power. Ground combat is already unpopular for most and this might make it more unpopular.
    y1arXbh.png

• mli777mli777 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Honestly, those special universal devices like the Orb and the Frosted Boots should just be kept as separate items.
    USS Canada
    N.C.C. 171867
    Sovereign Class
    Saint John Fleet Yard
    "A Mari Usque Ad Mare"
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    general idea great. but please keep non-consumable devices separate. I don't want to lose all my pets because I had use actual abilities... I don't use consumables anyway

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Turn my unique devices into kit powers? Cryptic can go right to hell if they think I will quietly accept this change.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
    edited February 2014
    Turn my unique devices into kit powers? Cryptic can go right to hell if they think I will quietly accept this change.

Please keep the feedback positive, Geko has stated that this is still in the early stages of development. We still have plenty of time to offer them feedback on the proposed change before they make it.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,467 Community Moderator
    edited February 2014
    The idea of turning devices into kit powers... I'm having visions of people making "Troll" kits specially designed to TRIBBLE with people in STFs.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited February 2014
    Please keep the feedback positive, Geko has stated that this is still in the early stages of development. We still have plenty of time to offer them feedback on the proposed change before they make it.

There is nothing positive that can be said about such a hypothetical change. I stand by that statement. I am 100% opposed to converting ground devices into kit powers unless they allow kits with 9 powers in them, which you know they will not do. -edit- OR if they reduced the cooldowns on some of the 'device powers' so that you could trigger them more than once every 5 or 10 minutes. /edit

But fine, you want me to say something nice. In theory I like the idea of splitting all of the existing kit powers into individual things that can be combined as desired by the player; it'd be a good thing (and would be a good addition to a general crafting overhaul, hint hint Cryptic) and would allow players to have only the abilities that they actually want and none that they don't want.

However, one reason that kit powers are segregated right now is that certain combinations are guaranteed to be overpowered which means a ground powers nerf would likely be rolled out alongside this system. Cryptic has already had to deal with players hot swapping kits by making certain objects or effects unspawn when the kit is removed and a new one is slotted, this would essentially reverse that by allowing the kits to be combined.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well, that's a big fat freakin' NO to device changes. Keep them as they are. Reasons already stated by others.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Am I the only one who wants the Ophidian Cane to become a Melee weapon?

Anyone?
    edited February 2014
    There is nothing positive that can be said about such a hypothetical change. I stand by that statement. I am 100% opposed to converting ground devices into kit powers unless they allow kits with 9 powers in them, which you know they will not do. -edit- OR if they reduced the cooldowns on some of the 'device powers' so that you could trigger them more than once every 5 or 10 minutes. /edit
    I wholeheartedly agree with your position, I'd just prefer to keep this feedback positive, even if we disagree with the proposal. The developers want to improve the quality of life on the ground in terms of kits, they put a proposal forth to the community. They are asking what we think of it, I don't think we need to beat them over the head :).

But fine, you want me to say something nice. In theory I like the idea of splitting all of the existing kit powers into individual things that can be combined as desired by the player; it'd be a good thing (and would be a good addition to a general crafting overhaul, hint hint Cryptic) and would allow players to only have the abilities that they actually want and none that they don't want.
    Agreed, that will be the best part about the kit revamp.
    However, one reason that kit powers are segregated right now is that certain combinations are guaranteed to be overpowered which means a ground powers nerf would likely be rolled out alongside this system. Cryptic has already had to deal with players hot swapping kits by making certain objects or effects unspawn when the kit is removed and a new one is slotted, this would essentially reverse that by allowing the kits to be combined.
    From the sound of it, they plan to limit the "type" of kit abilities to a certain number. I am hoping this will block players from slotting things like Ambush and Rally Cry together. I'm hoping this also brings improvements to some of the more underperforming ground kit abilities. I made a detailed list a back when adjucatorhawk was looking for feedback, as did many others. Who knows, we might see some changes with Season 9 along with the kit ability revamp.
    edited February 2014
    If they split abilities into categories like that so you can't have a certain few together (sort of like how the duty officers can only be put into the active roster in certain numbers/ratios) then that would hopefully preclude the need for any uber nerfs to many kit powers.

I'm still vehemently opposed to turning devices into kit powers.

p.s. Yes to Ophidian pimp cane smacking melee weapon.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It's about friggin' time. I don't use the devices, so no sweat off my nose there. I already know how I'm going to build my engineer's kits.
    From the sound of it, they plan to limit the "type" of kit abilities to a certain number. I am hoping this will block players from slotting things like Ambush and Rally Cry together.
    Doing so essentially renders the entire undertaking pointless. Leave it to Cryptic devs to fail hard.

I am continuing to not give any financial support to Cryptic until the devs prove to me that they aren't as incompetent as we all know them to be.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »

Hmmm, so five slots.

I can see it working, provided that there were some restrictions.

Two ways of doing it.

First one, restrict certain currently class based powers to their current classes.

So, for instance, only engineers could slot quantum mortars, but all classes could slot medical tricorder.

The other option is to retain the class categories but open up all the skills too pick

However, a quantity of your slots would be reserved for class specific powers only.

On balance, I think the latter would work best.

Level one, three and five slots being class specific.

Slots two and four being open.

As for devices, I actually don't mind them being reclassed as universal kit powers provided there's a slot especially reserved for universal kit powers.

Means a toon would start with two kit slots. One class based, one universal.

ETA realised my explanation of the universal slot was unclear. It would be in addition to the normal slots, giving you six kit slots at level 50
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    A definite "NO" to making devices apart of kits. I also would want to be compensated as a fleet for the loss of all the grind work that was done to unlock kits in the embassy and spire... They certainly have to replace them with something compelling in those fleet locations. I'm sure that's the plan but a nerf to what is currently there isn't going to go over well.

I like the general idea of custom kits but we also need to make sure that some kit powers cannot be combined together. It was mentioned earlier about previous kit swapping that used to occur and we don't want to see that kind thing happen in one kit.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
    edited February 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Hmmm, so five slots.

I can see it working, provided that there were some restrictions.

From what I got from the podcast, kit abilities will still be restricted by class. You won't be able to slot a Quantum Mortar on a Tactical officer. From what Geko said, Tactical abilities will be divided into two categories, buff and assault abilities. Buffs are things like suppressing fire and assault abilities are things like photon grenade. It appears they plan to have the kit restrict the number of a specific buff type a tactical officer may have, that will probably come in more detail later on. However, he also said that any kit combination available now will also be available after the revamp.
    edited February 2014
    mikefl wrote: »
    A definite "NO" to making devices apart of kits. I also would want to be compensated as a fleet for the loss of all the grind work that was done to unlock kits in the embassy and spire... They certainly have to replace them with something compelling in those fleet locations. I'm sure that's the plan but a nerf to what is currently there isn't going to go over well.
    Fleet holdings give players access to a new rank IV version of an ability, no compensation will be needed. However, they may need to fix the Embassy Plasma Grenade IV before this goes live with Season 9...it still has rank III stats...
    mikefl wrote: »
    I like the general idea of custom kits but we also need to make sure that some kit powers cannot be combined together. It was mentioned earlier about previous kit swapping that used to occur and we don't want to see that kind thing happen in one kit.

Put your worries on that issue to rest, a fairly recent post by adjudicatorhawk: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=14546341&postcount=7
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    From what I got from the podcast, kit abilities will still be restricted by class. You won't be able to slot a Quantum Mortar on a Tactical officer. From what Geko said, Tactical abilities will be divided into two categories, buff and assault abilities. Buffs are things like suppressing fire and assault abilities are things like photon grenade. It appears they plan to have the kit restrict the number of a specific buff type a tactical officer may have, that will probably come in more detail later on. However, he also said that any kit combination available now will also be available after the revamp.

Ok, fair enough.

Although, it does seem to me that there may be room for some tier 1 abilities open to all.

Tier 1 medical tricorder for instance. essentially make tier one somehwat generic before specilaising later on. gives all the classes a tiny bit of flexibility to get a tactical scientist, or an engineery tactician.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, I'd agree that converting the devices to actual slotted kit abilities is a bad idea; if they did would the Borg Remodulator also become one of these new slotted kit abilities too I wonder? Also, they'd have to have those powers be useable more often, and toughen some of them up some more too, and it'd probably be more than enough just balancing the existing abilities from the kits already.

If they did go through with it I'd imagine this wouldn't effect combat pets like the Hortas?
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Geko confirmed that all existing kits in the game will be kept in their existing clusters when the game goes live. Players make take apart the cluster, but they apparently won't be required to do so. Thus, medical kits will still be put together. However, if you have a Borg Medical Analyst kit, it would be wise to sell it soon. Once this goes live, players will be capable of running that kit combination without paying millions of energy credits.
    But Geko said that new kits will all have 5 slots for skills. Old kits mostly have 4, aside from fleet kits. Geko also said that the new kits will have varieties of slot types, which will render old kits undesirable. However, if new kits with only one specialty comes out, I feel that 5 slots aren't enough for them.

Or maybe dedicated kits could get higher levels of their specialty skills.