test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Feedback on upcoming Ground Kit Revamp

123457»

Comments

• suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Just posting to say we're not making devices into kit modules, so there's no need to pre-panic. Your kit should be all about your career and your character's interpretation of that career. Making you choose between being a Fabrication oriented Engineer or an Operations oriented Engineer is cool - making you choose between being an Engineer and a Mirror Image Alien Cane Wizard is less cool. This is the decision we ultimately came to, though we had earlier considered making Device powers into Kit Modules but buffing up their power level or usability to make them reasonable choices as powers.
    Some good news for a change. When I kept hearing Geko saying Ophidian Cane and other items would be turning into Kit powers I really wasn't looking forward to it. Good to see that plans have changed.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    will this Ground kit Revamp be adding any new visuals, or at least let us pick the visuals for the kit that we're using?

I know i for one am not a fan of the Bulky Tac kits at endgame, but the shielded/hologram effect from the sci kits would be pretty cool. There were a few armor ideas from this thread:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1028421

like the look in some of these:

http://gaming.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/startrekonline/conceptart/characters.jpg

http://gaming.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/startrekonline/conceptart/crew.jpg

http://gaming.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/startrekonline/conceptart/Main_concept_STO_CHARprog.jpg

http://gaming.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/startrekonline/conceptart/Main_concept_STO_CHARexpl.jpg

That would make phenomenal visuals for certain kits. The tron one with the Shield effect would be nice.

I think it would be nice if we could get kits to reflect a little better, what our class was as well as give some hints of specifications. For example, a Melee focus would give a more modular body armor, where a tankier build would give the bulkier armor. A flat out medic kit could give a very industrial look by having more Trek like medical tools attached. Given that these will be availible to pick and choose (which will be awesome), may i suggest that each power be given a classification based on the current kit?

This way, all close combat skills give you a flat out close combat look similar to 13-1 or 14-b on that last link, BUT (here's where the custom aspect comes it) Each Slot on your belt represents a different piece. Slot 1 would be chest, Slot 2 legs, 3 arms, 4 waist, and 5 would be head. We would have the ability to disable visuals on all of these, but slotting a power from a certain kit classification would add that slots visual. This would cut down on the number of parts you would need to make, but allow people to adjust their looks based on layout.

Say you have mostly Melee but one grenadier power, in slot one you could get a grenade bandolier, but in slot four it would be a belt. Slot 5 might give you either a gas mask or helmet look depending on what design they went with. If you like the leg guards of the bunker builder kit, just move one of those powers to the second slot.

This adds more customization to the game (which is always a win), as well as a visual Queue to size up opponents in PvP, unless they want to turn of the visuals. It would be fun and allow more unique class based armors into the game. It would also be a good time to introduce Klingon Kit visuals as well as Romulan if you want.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Just posting to say we're not making devices into kit modules, so there's no need to pre-panic. Your kit should be all about your career and your character's interpretation of that career. Making you choose between being a Fabrication oriented Engineer or an Operations oriented Engineer is cool - making you choose between being an Engineer and a Mirror Image Alien Cane Wizard is less cool. This is the decision we ultimately came to, though we had earlier considered making Device powers into Kit Modules but buffing up their power level or usability to make them reasonable choices as powers.

Thank you for the change of plans. It is extremely appreciated as I am quite fond of ground combat.

That being said, I think you guys are just going to end up creating more work for yourselves when your data inevitably shows a large demographic of players will slap the most OPed abilities into their kit and call it good. Part of the 'kit' system involved a balance of overpowered abilities and mediocre abilities.

And I know when you guys come to the realization a large majority of players will take advantage of this customization to simply min-max their kits -- you will likely be asked to revamp other kit powers to make them more competitive with those powers which are/will be highly popular, or you will be asked to ignore them and thus wasting the previous time/money spent on creating those powers to begin with.

I'm all for customization and additional options, but until I read a very detailed review of how the new system will work, I'm thinking you guys will be running into the same problems seen elsewhere. Particularly in comparison to the 'shocking' revelation that players prefer torps over mines or energy weapons to torps or mines .
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Oh thank you benevolent masters! *phew* p.s. I laughed really hard at "Mirror Image Alien Cane Wizard."

Now that my most serious concern has been addressed that brings us back to:
    iconians wrote: »
    I'm all for customization and additional options, but until I read a very detailed review of how the new system will work, I'm thinking you guys will be running into the same problems seen elsewhere. Particularly in comparison to the 'shocking' revelation that players prefer torps over mines or energy weapons to torps or mines .

I'm a wee bit concerned about how the balance will turn out and if the typical nerf cycle will be incoming, but we'll see.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Oh thank you benevolent masters! *phew* p.s. I laughed really hard at "Mirror Image Alien Cane Wizard."

Now that my most serious concern has been addressed that brings us back to:

I'm a wee bit concerned about how the balance will turn out and if the typical nerf cycle will be incoming, but we'll see.

I have to admit, I found that quip amusing as well. In regards to the special devices remaining devices decision, I'm a bit torn now, but think that what the devs chose will work. Glad to see that the existing special devices will be remaining devices.

However, I am very curious about the possibility of specialty kit segments that could be received through various means, such as Featured Episode rewards and through Reputation. Similar to universal or otherwise special consoles for starships. In fact, I would be interested in "universal" kit segments, so long as they were balanced properly both in terms of the ability they provide as well as the means of obtaining them.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Well, the major enemy of Cryptic has been foresight. I'm hoping that by predicting the problems they will face in the future we can maybe avoid having to deal with a strenuous nerf/buff cycle when the kit revamp eventually comes.

And hopefully in whatever form it eventually takes it will address my concerns that we will simply see a repeat of min-maxing on the ground, and Cryptic then devoting time to 'figuring out' why players prefer overpowered kits with little actual differention between them for the sake of high damage output.

Since the game does not reward any other type of gameplay other than dps, and the kit revamp results will reflect that. Again.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • kazapskykazapsky Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Nice to see there's still some common sense at Cryptic. Kits are kits, and devices are devices, and there's no excuse for mixing the two.

With that out of the way, mix-and-match kits are a LONG time coming. Pretty much every kit for all 3 classes has at least one deadweight power on it; it'll be nice to finally have a loadout I can fully utilize.
    Arc is garbage. End of discussion.
  • novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well, the major enemy of Cryptic has been foresight. I'm hoping that by predicting the problems they will face in the future we can maybe avoid having to deal with a strenuous nerf/buff cycle when the kit revamp eventually comes.

And hopefully in whatever form it eventually takes it will address my concerns that we will simply see a repeat of min-maxing on the ground, and Cryptic then devoting time to 'figuring out' why players prefer overpowered kits with little actual differention between them for the sake of high damage output.

Since the game does not reward any other type of gameplay other than dps, and the kit revamp results will reflect that. Again.

I agree with you there. I wish they'd update the other kit powers up to the level of the ones people prefer, so that they're more desirable to use. That and change the way things work so that tanking, healing, and support are something valued in the game mechanics. However, the latter is much less likely, I think.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well, the major enemy of MMO developers everywhere has been foresight. I'm hoping that by predicting the problems they will face in the future we can maybe avoid having to deal with a strenuous nerf/buff cycle when the kit revamp eventually comes.
    Fixed that for you. :P I remember how difficult is was for Blizzard to balance PvP in Diablo 2... The core problem is that it's the players job to break the system and find a way for one build/class to dominate all. THAT will never change. Blizzard never even bothered to make it so that some skills were even USABLE in PvP, let alone good. STO at least doesn't have skills that can't be used in PvP.

Enh... It's about killing things. The only way to change that is to make it so that the goal isn't about making the other guy die.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    The devs have spoken about this becoming a possibility, and if it does, just look for the next lockbox near you.. ;)
    Le response regarding universal kit slots with skill from different career. Enjoy TRIBBLE.

In-game handle @Janetza