test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: 4-yr Ann. Event (was: Enjoy another rep for anniversary ships *post #30 & #643*)

Comments

• chrisbrown12009chrisbrown12009 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    atronach1 wrote: »
    i just want people to have a look at this anniversary with the way they are bringing out this new science destroyer. Firstly they are trying to shove down my throat that Q now hands out weaponry and new ships which he has never ever done, so what with that?? i can stomach if they said that the new ships were coming out of R&D from each faction and that we need so many commendations from an event that has nothing to do with Q THAT would be acceptable. but the fact that they think that they can get away with telling us that Q is giving us ships !!!

This game has taken a slipperly slope whats next?? the klingons giving us there battle cruisers
    as a token of peace????

yea.... The Klingons tried that already.. See: D7 cruiser.

romulans didnt like the idea either....They got the short end of the stick...

The ships arent coming from Q. they are coming from each factions using Dyson tech to make a ship. We are just to deal with Q to get them. Does it make since? Nope. But then when has Q EVER made since?
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    atronach1 wrote: »
    i just want people to have a look at this anniversary with the way they are bringing out this new science destroyer. Firstly they are trying to shove down my throat that Q now hands out weaponry and new ships which he has never ever done, so what with that?? i can stomach if they said that the new ships were coming out of R&D from each faction and that we need so many commendations from an event that has nothing to do with Q THAT would be acceptable. but the fact that they think that they can get away with telling us that Q is giving us ships !!!

This game has taken a slipperly slope whats next?? the klingons giving us there battle cruisers
    as a token of peace????
    I hope you're not one of those delusional people who believes Trek is real or that STO is some canon aspect of Trek.

It's a game. It has gaming tropes. You instantly travel across the galaxy. You get loot drops from destroying enemies. You buy things with real money rather then having them given to you by Starfleet. You create never-before-seen alien species. It's a game.
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Alternatively, you could look at the Anniversary Event, along with the Summer and Winter Events, as being "just for fun" and not worry about it too much.

It's a game. We're allowed to do things just for kicks. It doesn't have to be a Star Trek simulator.

I realize that this is a personal opinion that you might not share, but I really don't think it's a big deal.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    errab wrote: »
    So now not only do we get to Grind out the Anniversary Science Destroyer, now we get to grind out an Inferior version of the Science Destroyer knowing that a much better version of the Science Destroyer will be made available for purchase in the C-Store.

A better version for cash, that still requires you to grind the "inferior" version if you want "the entire package."

Then you can grind a nifty EV suit. And if you want "the good stuff," you have to grind out 2 more so you can then turn in all 3 and pay for a better one. Which there are 2 of, that each require 3 of the "lessers" to enable buying the good one.

And nothing the apologists say to defend this grind-o-rama changes the fact that ships from previous years, which also had C-store/Fleet versions, were handed out as a reward for doing a single mission- once.
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This thread is far better for why the are TRIBBLE with the anniversary:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=991321
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    And nothing the apologists say to defend this grind-o-rama changes the fact that ships from previous years, which also had C-store/Fleet versions, were handed out as a reward for doing a single mission- once.

And that sums up the whole problem in a nutshell. Perfectly & succinctly put.
    server_hamster6.png
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Why not, my Fed Tac would love to command a Mogh Battle Cruiser!

Buy an Avenger. Problem solved!
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
  • gjohnny1990gjohnny1990 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This is probably the reason Star Trek Enterprise failed and probably why a new Star Trek show might never come out again, rabid fan people that froth at the mouth if they think that fictional characters shouldn't do something.
  • fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This is probably the reason Star Trek Enterprise failed and probably why a new Star Trek show might never come out again, rabid fan people that froth at the mouth if they think that fictional characters shouldn't do something.

Probably, I really enjoyed Enterprise, especially the last series. Even tracked down the books so I could continue into the Romulan War. ;)

Star Trek was about anything the writers chose, and the "science" was as fictional as the rest of the show. That's why I loved it and still do.
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Its not TV's Star Trek. TV's Star Trek does not have currency, STO does. It would not have constant battles of you versus 20-odd ships, STO does. It would not have us beaming our bridge crews down and slaughtering umpteen dozen footsoldiers, STO does. TV's Trek would have us fight multiple (Undine, Klingon, Breen, Iconion, Borg, Elachi and Voth) wars on multiple fronts, STO does. To cut it short, STO has no holodeck malfunctions, no crew dilemma's, no need to get weeks long refits, self repairing hulls, switchable weaponry, ridiculously fast travel and we'd be in the same bog-standard ship permanently.

And you know what? If it stayed close to the source material, we'd have a game that appealed to about 2,500 people total worldwide. Strict adherence to the source does not a good game make.

Besides, this is Q Junior we're dealing with, not Q himself - He has a soft spot for biological life.
  • neotrident12neotrident12 Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek

...thanks for that... <sarcasm>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gonalius wrote: »
    Besides, this is Q Junior we're dealing with, not Q himself - He has a soft spot for biological life.
    Since it is a game, replace him with Q senior and have John Delancie voice him!
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,430 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The biggest issue with ENT, in my opinion, is that they were trying to tie together Trek continuity with the run-up to TOS, which, like every other TV show of the era, had no continuity. You can run TOS in any order you like, and as long as you ignore subtle changes in things like costume design (I still remember reading the rant about those damned velour costumes in season 1), it all makes just as much sense.

Of course they were going to run into some really major continuity snarls. Trying to resolve them by coming up with this "temporal cold war" TRIBBLE was, I believe, a major misstep, especially when you combine the ubiquity of private warp-drive ships in the future with the ability to time-travel by warping close to a star. Why not just write all those snarls up to careless time travelers, and the NX-01 sometimes runs across someone trying to fix what some time-tripper screwed up before? (I can't even imagine how a "time war" would really work, especially since Trek never hypothesized safe houses "outside" time, like in Fritz Lieber's Change War stories. If there's only one future, then the other factions would cease to be the first time one of them moved; if there are, as it would seem in Trek, multiple futures, then they've all won already, so what's the point?)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,275 Arc User
    edited January 2014

What does a pregnant dog have to do with this?
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    Alternatively, you could look at the Anniversary Event, along with the Summer and Winter Events, as being "just for fun" and not worry about it too much.

It's a game. We're allowed to do things just for kicks. It doesn't have to be a Star Trek simulator.

I realize that this is a personal opinion that you might not share, but I really don't think it's a big deal.

you know, this is a point that boils me, when people come in here and say, well the game doesn't have to be star trek.. "I" like this and "I" want that..

plain and simple. the name of this game is (waite for it.....) STAR TREK ONLINE.. not random space adventure online, not jurrasic park, not dr who, back to the future, star wars, stargate, seas quest, or even battle star gallactica..

when you click download STAR TREK ONLINE, you should be expecting a STAR TREK experience.. not a random mix of TRIBBLE..

further more.. when perpetual died off, and cryptic was awarded the contract to make this game, they stepped out on a stage at a star trek convention. they got the crowd all pumped up, and then stated that this game was going to be the closest experience to star trek than any other game.. they bragged about how they hired mostly trekkie developers to make the game.. they bragged about bringing an actual star trek author (books) on to help write the story line.. they even said that they were going to pay extra attention to the details, and make this as clost to trek as they could..

on top of that, they also said they understood how diehard most star trek fans were, which is why they welcomed our feedback.. for the first two years, we had a pretty good thing going.. then stahl left the first time, pwe bought up cryptic, and the game went down the toilet, and has been on a steady decline in my eyes since then..

I myself, am part of numerous star trek fan clubs and groups.. im apart of a lot of forums.. and when I started playing the game, I added a ton of people to my friends list that were from some of these other groups.. now.. out of the hundreds of people I used to log in with, and play with, and talk to in game, im lucky if 2 are on.. the sites have all but stopped talking about the game, and I know that a large portion of the "star trek" fans have left the game..

when a star trek game can no longer entertain star trek fans, there is a problem...
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    puttenham wrote: »
    when you click download STAR TREK ONLINE, you should be expecting a STAR TREK experience.. not a random mix of TRIBBLE..

Your narrow personal vision of what a "star trek experience" should entail is not the final, universal word on the subject. I came for space battles, and I got space battles. The show was never a tedious space flight simulator or a dry exercise in rigid protocol. There is CANON precedent for time travel, Feds flying the ships of other factions, encountering evolved dinosaurs, all of it. Randomness is definitely part of the franchise.

And if your response falls along the lines of "Yeah, but in the shows they did those things for good reasons," you'll need to understand that "good" is also a matter of personal opinion.
    when a star trek game can no longer entertain star trek fans, there is a problem...

I'm a Star Trek fan, and the game can still entertain me. Your mileage may vary, but you don't speak for us all. You do not get to package everything YOU'D like to see and declare it the only "authentic" star trek experience.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Hurray for Racism :rolleyes:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Hurray for Racism :rolleyes:
    It isn't racism to realize that the impetus to turn this game into a token grind isn't coming from Cryptic or PWE, but from PW Beijing who have very different ideas about what kind of game we should be playing.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »
    It isn't racism to realize that the impetus to turn this game into a token grind isn't coming from Cryptic or PWE, but from PW Beijing who have very different ideas about what kind of game we should be playing.

Racism is precisely what you've just described.

The entity that is imposing the grind is PW.

Their nationality is not a pertinent element.
  • jtoney3448jtoney3448 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    getting back on track....
  • zeus#0893 zeus Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rinkster wrote: »

It's not racism at all, just a statement of the way a culture in the world looks at gaming. PWE being based in China would have a different way of looking at what an online MMO should be from the culture in Russia, England, South America, United States, etc. That's just reality dude. You can find different outlooks on anything just inside the United States, in fact you can and will find different ways people look at how things (games) should be even in local areas. It all depends on where you were raised, who taught you, raised you, and what values you should have. I sorry if you think labeling people from different regions and areas of the world by their Countries names is, in your opinion, racism, but it's not. What do you call people from different countries? It's a normal way to identify them and has been used since mankind has spoken. We all are labeled everyday by governments, businesses, religions, etc. Using a label to describe is not racism! Using that label in a way that demeans or hurts is! Please learn the difference before saying someone is a racist.

Here is the definition per Dictionary.com

"
    racism [rey-siz-uhm]

noun
    a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

hatred or intolerance of another race or other races"
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rinkster wrote: »

Their nationality as a reflection of the cultural mentality behind how they design and push games IS relevant. The "asian MMO grind" mentality is a very specific kind of grind where very little gameplay is presented and a maximum amount of grind is required, milking customers for maximum monetary profit while relying on almost fanatical obsession to keep pressing buttons with no reward.

P.S. I didn't see the comment, but nationality is NOT race. Just FYI.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A better version for cash, that still requires you to grind the "inferior" version if you want "the entire package."

Then you can grind a nifty EV suit. And if you want "the good stuff," you have to grind out 2 more so you can then turn in all 3 and pay for a better one. Which there are 2 of, that each require 3 of the "lessers" to enable buying the good one.

Short version: you're complaining that the devs added new stuff to the game.

Yeah, that's all I really get out of your post. You have some convoluted reason as to why you think it should be something Q just gives to you, but.... It's a computer game.... If you want the stuff you play the game.
    Since it is a game, replace him with Q senior and have John Delancie voice him!
    Well, yes and no.... Technically it's John Keegan de Lancie He usually goes by Keegan instead of John to make it easier for people to know which person it is. :P It'd be kinda cool to see him do voicework, though I'm not sure it he's still into acting....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited January 2014
    Am I the only one here who doesn't like Q? I'm bracing for a lightning bolt in-game, but I honestly don't enjoy Q events at all. It breaks immersion really badly for me... I can handle all the differnet ships in ESD, I can handle the inexplicable Fleet Advanced Heavy Cruiser that is an ancient ship somehow kicking butt, but whenever Q shows up it's an endless stream of stupid baloons, party poppers, disco balls, ice boots, and whatever else. I know Q gets most of his humor from the "lolsorandumb" aspect of his nature, but it's getting old.

On topic: It's been said before but I'll say it again, collecting 10,000 tiajuana bibles has no place in STO right now. It works during the winter event because most people have more free time during the holidays, but classes have started again... many people are gearing up for their first tests right now, and at the end of february there are midterms. I know that personally, I won't boot up STO much during the month of february.

Please Cryptic, no more grind for the anniverary events. We'll happily grind for winter ships, but the Anniverary Event has always had a free, pretty good ship for doing a fun mission, and that lets you sell a $50 three pack later.

This all being said, I'm still going to grind for this thing because the ships look incredible, but hopefully I've still got enough Lobi left over to make this as painless as possible. And yeah, I'm totally buying that $50 pack at the end of the month. I just wish the grind wasn't attached.
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Their nationality as a reflection of the cultural mentality behind how they design and push games IS relevant. The "asian MMO grind" mentality is a very specific kind of grind where very little gameplay is presented and a maximum amount of grind is required, milking customers for maximum monetary profit while relying on almost fanatical obsession to keep pressing buttons with no reward.

P.S. I didn't see the comment, but nationality is NOT race. Just FYI.
    *points at everything Blizzard has ever made*

I rest my case. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hravik wrote: »
    I'm not surprised at all. This is how Cryptic handles things, and has been for quite some time. 'We're listening to your feedback, blah blah blah. Sugar coated words of this will be awesome' And then nothing changes. Par for the course.
    Actually we've seen them respond to feedback with changes quite a few times over the past 4 years. But there was a majority consensus that it needed a change. While this thread is huge, and makes it more prominent (which honestly is why all anniversary threads are being pulled into this one), people got to realize that the MAJORITY of players do not even come on the forums unless something is extremely bad. Someone posted over 600 people have commented on this thread and that the masses has spoken. Honestly even if there was 600 individual people on this thread, that's still a minority. Cryptic/PWE pulls information from multiple sources not just the forums to make decisions about changes and in this case I suppose they aren't changing the grind.
    Basically Q is omnipotent, so they can use him as a deus-ex-machina for just about anything. :P

*snaps fingers*

Now that reminds me, apart from Rob Picardo in a FE, they should also try to get John Delancie in to voice Q. That would be awesome!
    You do realize the Q we see now is Q's son not Q. So they would have to have an episode where Q decided to visit which would be even more awesome if Q visited while Q was here so that way we get to see Q and Q interact like the family they really are. (Followed that? Good :P)
    gonalius wrote: »
    Its not TV's Star Trek. TV's Star Trek does not have currency, STO does. It would not have constant battles of you versus 20-odd ships, STO does. It would not have us beaming our bridge crews down and slaughtering umpteen dozen footsoldiers, STO does. TV's Trek would have us fight multiple (Undine, Klingon, Breen, Iconion, Borg, Elachi and Voth) wars on multiple fronts, STO does. To cut it short, STO has no holodeck malfunctions, no crew dilemma's, no need to get weeks long refits, self repairing hulls, switchable weaponry, ridiculously fast travel and we'd be in the same bog-standard ship permanently.
    Star Trek on TV had currency. Dunno why everyone keeps forgetting that. Gold Pressed Latinum was the currency in the show. While yes, the Federation did away with money, the rest of the galaxy did not so they had to keep up with that. TV Trek did have us fighting multiple battles on multiple fronts. Deep Space Nine again had this along with ground battles (two different episodes come to mind right off the bat where federation soldiers held a hospital and AR-558 in battles with klingons and jem'hadar respectively)

Since I've finally had a chance to sit down and read about how we're getting these ships, I'm actually quite perturbed myself by it. I hated the mini-q event (which has not been around for 4 years. The academy hasn't even been around for 4 years) so I may or may not just buy the qmmendations from the lobi store. I don't mind grind but damn. Chasing little guys around was not fun the second time i ran it let alone the 40th. :(
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Actually we've seen them respond to feedback with changes quite a few times over the past 4 years. But there was a majority consensus that it needed a change. While this thread is huge, and makes it more prominent (which honestly is why all anniversary threads are being pulled into this one), people got to realize that the MAJORITY of players do not even come on the forums unless something is extremely bad. Someone posted over 600 people have commented on this thread and that the masses has spoken. Honestly even if there was 600 individual people on this thread, that's still a minority. Cryptic/PWE pulls information from multiple sources not just the forums to make decisions about changes and in this case I suppose they aren't changing the grind.

Funny, that minority thing only ever comes up when it's about negative feedback. No one ever says "Season 8 sucked and everyone on the forums saying it was good is part of a minority anyway". ;)
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    qjunior wrote: »
    Funny, that minority thing only ever comes up when it's about negative feedback. No one ever says "Season 8 sucked and everyone on the forums saying it was good is part of a minority anyway". ;)
    That's because people keep bringing up "majority is saying blah blah blah" ;) If no one said that then it'd never be brought up lol.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    askray wrote: »
    TV Trek did have us fighting multiple battles on multiple fronts. Deep Space Nine again had this along with ground battles (two different episodes come to mind right off the bat where federation soldiers held a hospital and AR-558 in battles with klingons and jem'hadar respectively)

You do realize that those were two entirely different conflicts more than a year apart right? And that by the time the siege of AR-558 started the Klingons and Federation were allies?