test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: 4-yr Ann. Event (was: Enjoy another rep for anniversary ships *post #30 & #643*)

Comments

• shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kimmym wrote: »
    So what is the alternative to everybody and their brother getting the special fancy new ship all at the same time after snapping a finger? Some sort of trial. Some sort of variable length delay. Something to keep everybody on the planet from trying to experience the same moment at the same time.

While I get your point, the idea behind this particular event is that it's STO's 4-th Anniversary, a time of celebrating success and giving gifts.

If it was just a random Cryptic initiative to give the people an opportunity for a new free ship, I would completely agree with you. Except in this case it's suposed to be a gift, so yeah it's pretty much ok for everyone and their brother to receive one. Cause they're all STO players.
    This sort of thing should have been done with the Obelisk, a ship alien to all factions and not tied to anything particualry special instead of faction specific anniversary gifts which should be given away in the manner the Obelisk was given away.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying what I'm saying because of personal issues. Couldn't care lees. I have no need for new ships, no matter how awesome they are and if the leaked pics are the ones....bleh, I don't even want them.
    I'm just saying from a human perspective that an item that is suposed to be the big gift for an anniversary celebration, should be accessible to everyone (and their brother :) )participating without much effort for the simple reason of it being a gift.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    First, Cryptic needs some refresher courses on gameplay design. They need to watch this that orangitis posted:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea6UuRTjkKs

They NEED to. Not optional. Watch it, Cryptic. Learn from it. Everything it says is true and it is presented well.
    There's another problem with the idea of us having to "earn" the ships this way: it's lazy design.

That's how they roll. Lazy design. 1-hit kills forcing 30 respawns per mission is their idea of balanced gameplay. Need to out-do the previous baddies that are already wiping out shields and taking you down to 10% hull? Just make them bypass shields 100%! Oh, and make them immune to all damage! Oh, and make any damage you send at them "bounce back" and kill you instead! Oh, and make them have magical power that they spam at you nonstop while all this is happening, making you unable to move! Oh, and then on top of that suck all your power levels down to nothing so that in the same fight you can't move, can't fight, can't use your shields to help defend you, anything you fire at the enemy kills you, oh and that's just the low-level mobs before you get to the bosses! Oh, and IF you kill them, let's just make them come back from the dead for no explainable reason. (I'm referring to the Voth here -- worst/LAZIEST gameplay design ever).

PWE is taking over. Their influence has spread, but in conjunction with that the damaging influence of the asia-grinder that PWE is shaping is compounded by the weak efforts of the dev team to simply make the game monolithically hard. If it were JUST PWE we had to deal with, we could suffer through in hopes that things would get better. If it wer JUST Cryptic's lazy dev style we might have hope that they'll make it better with some employee turnover or a different hand on the wheel.

Together, there is no hope and they are very immediately in danger of killing this game before 2014 is finished.
  • ari3sholeari3shole Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This is the definition of gift:

A gift or a present is an item given to someone without the expectation of payment.

expectation: 15days grind

payment: lobi store

Cryptic you suck :mad:
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Whilst I don't really wish to indulge in the semantics surrounding their use of the word 'free', I would argue that it is questionalble.

You see, the dictionary defines 'free' as "Costing nothing, requiring no money to be paid".

Now, whilst it WILL be possible to obtain the new ships for nothing, the fact that financial input IS an option (lobi), AND is an option that expedies the end result, it would be fair to aruge that since players can, and will, spend real money to obtain the product, it is only free if one choses to obtain it via the 'free' method.

But I don't think that there is much doubt that, whilst it is entirely down to individual choice, someone who spent money on lobi to obtain the ship didn't actually get the ship for free.

Meaning of free:

Not affected or restricted by a given condition or circumstance.

Not controlled by obligation or the will of another.

Not subject to a given condition; exempt.

Given, made, or done of one's own accord; voluntary or spontaneous.

So Mr. Encyclopedia you see when Cryptic says they are giving us a free ship but we must do something to obtained that assumed FREE ship is no longer free.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • rothan117rothan117 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Another worthless long grind for a mediocre subpar ship I would never use. I skipped last summer's grind event, the winter grind event and will be skipping this grind event too. It is the most pointless part of STO and I sick of the long grinds. The changes with to the rep grind in the Dyson rep was long overdue and sorely needs to be retrofitted to other reps.

As to the so called free ship, it is not a gift if it involves a long pointless grind. Time is money and requiring a long time consuming grind means it is not free or a gift.

I will give this event a miss as well, have better things to do with my time than grind for another ship I would never use.
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited January 2014

All of this info and much more will be coming up in our Dev Blogs next week, and I think once you see the ships, you'll see why a little extra effort for the ships will be more than worth it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    Unless the Federation ship is a T5.5, 10 console Constitution, Enterprise, or Exeter class with a zero seconds cooldown console of amazing usefulness, I won't waste any of my time on your mindnumbingly boring grind sessions.
    genhauk wrote: »
    Honestly ... I'd rather have the chance to grind for a fleet level ship vs. getting a free one that we have to turn around and buy a better version later.
    I spend the majority of my waking hours working in my career. The career that gives me real money. I don't have any problems with spending some of that money on entertainment. Mindless grinding is not entertaining.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Unless the Federation ship is a T5.5, 10 console Constitution, Enterprise, or Exeter class with a zero seconds cooldown console of amazing usefulness, I won't waste any of my time on your mindnumbingly boring grind sessions.

this post made my day ty for this :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited January 2014
    Except that the "do something to obtain" doesn't involve any financial input*, only time; I'm not sure how this equates to "not free".

*Unless one choses to purchase lobi.

there is that saying time is money :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Okay, looking at Bran's posts again, there are two things I've taken notice:

1) It sounds like these ships are either destined to be Spire-added Fleet ships or C-Store ships. The fact that one of the posts mentions earning them "For FREE" means that they're heading for one of those places once it's all said and done

2) This isn't the only gift we're getting "For FREE" as we're supposed to get stuff similar to the Summer Event (which probably means two costumes, a low-rank ship for its skin and a high-rank ship).

So, basically, like the ship? Get it through the grind? If not, it'll be in the stores. Also, you're getting other free stuff, enjoy!
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Except that the "do something to obtain" doesn't involve any financial input*, only time; I'm not sure how this equates to "not free".

Time=money. You never heard of that old saying?
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
    edited January 2014
    Free means free no conditions attached.
    edited January 2014
    First, Cryptic needs some refresher courses on gameplay design. They need to watch this that orangitis posted:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea6UuRTjkKs

They NEED to. Not optional. Watch it, Cryptic. Learn from it. Everything it says is true and it is presented well.

yep indeed
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • moosethedjmoosethedj Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    After a good nights sleep this is still insane. Cryptic encourage players to have more than one character i.e. Fed, Kling and Rom then the 3 classes. I've got 20 toons so I'm really put off the idea of another 15+ days grinding for these toons.

What makes it worst is that Cryptic has a mechanic in the game to make it easier for players with multiple alts but haven't used it in the winter event and I doubt they will use it in the anniversary event . This is the sponsorship system. If only one toon got the ship and could sponsor the other toon say with EC and not Q marks, even if the other toons had to play the mission just once I'm sure many players would be happier.

Another option would be if player who are Lifetime subscribers or have subscribe for over 1400 days got the ship for free on all their toons.

But I doubt this will happen because its just a simple money grab by Cryptic as the want people to buy the Qmarks from the Z-store.

I for one would not want to wish Cryptic a happy 4th Anniversary. It's not a happy joyous time, it's more like the 4th year of a life time prison sentence. Cryptic you sure know how to put people off playing your games. :(

Hey at least it's not like World Of War craf that has current 75 factions to grind rep with
    edited January 2014
    moosethedj wrote: »
    Hey at least it's not like World Of War craf that has current 75 factions to grind rep with

in my book they dont compare in wow i can go kill countless number for a few days to max one out im not time gated for a month or so not to say most now they have tabards to where im doing a dungeons i can get rep for the faction tabard im using there are also other ways to get them max
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    1) It sounds like these ships are either destined to be Spire-added Fleet ships or C-Store ships. The fact that one of the posts mentions earning them "For FREE" means that they're heading for one of those places once it's all said and done
    You'll be able to BUY Qmendations for Lobi Crystals if you don't want to grind the daily mission, so I doubt the ship will be added to any store later on, as it would be unfair to those who spent their currency on the tokens (similarly to how you could buy tokens during Winter and Summer events).
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    They could do like the obelisk and the 2- and 3-yr ships, which is to give the basic ship for free and put the premium ship behind a purchase wall.
    edited January 2014
    Until we see what the ships are in details all the complains are an empty point, because if the ship is of less quality of what I have now there is not a snowball chance in hell I am going to do all the grinding. :D
    edited January 2014
    Not sure why people with 20 toons feel they MUST have it on all 20 :confused:

For me I will take a look at the ships, decide which toon it would best suit, check to see if it's better than the ship he already has, if the answer is yes I will grind for that one toon, if the answer is no I will leave it.

Some people love and PAID for all those characters and they want the best for each one of them, why to deprive them from their pleasure?

Some people collect stamps, other collect coins, other collect Star Trek ships, other collect child support lawsuits for been deadbeats so what is your point people don't have the choice or right of having 6, 20, 50 characters if they choose so?
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    Until we see what the ships are in details all the complains are an empty point, because if the ship is of less quality of what I have now there is not a snowball chance in hell I am going to do all the grinding. :D

its been stated a thousand times that its not about the quality of the ship.. its about the presidence that has been set, and the fact that this even (the anniversary) event wasn't about us doing another chore, but about cryptic showing appreciation for all of us who stick around.. I have never played a game (and I have played a lot) where during the anniversary event, I had to grind (or pay for) the event prize.. it is usually a gesture from the gaming company as a thank you...

this is now gone.. and thus has nothing to do with the ship.. I don't care if its the be all end all ship, or the crappiest ship ever, its not the point..
  • kyuzos7kyuzos7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014

well i said this already but someone said it was mute :mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Not sure why people with 20 toons feel they MUST have it on all 20 :confused:
    Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

At least that's my excuse. :D
    edited January 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    While I get your point, the idea behind this particular event is that it's STO's 4-th Anniversary, a time of celebrating success and giving gifts.

If it was just a random Cryptic initiative to give the people an opportunity for a new free ship, I would completely agree with you. Except in this case it's suposed to be a gift, so yeah it's pretty much ok for everyone and their brother to receive one. Cause they're all STO players.
    This sort of thing should have been done with the Obelisk, a ship alien to all factions and not tied to anything particualry special instead of faction specific anniversary gifts which should be given away in the manner the Obelisk was given away.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying what I'm saying because of personal issues. Couldn't care lees. I have no need for new ships, no matter how awesome they are and if the leaked pics are the ones....bleh, I don't even want them.
    I'm just saying from a human perspective that an item that is suposed to be the big gift for an anniversary celebration, should be accessible to everyone (and their brother :) )participating without much effort for the simple reason of it being a gift.

yes I agree with this, had they decided to make this ship come out on say first contact day, and decided to make it a grind, I wouldn't have complained, well not to this extent.. but they took an event that was for us, and made it about them.. the last bastion of good will from cryptic has been inherently destroyed..

folks.. I want you to think about this long and hard.. cryptic has basically said that we don't matter, and that we are only a dollar sign to them.. while needing to make some money is all well and good, there has to be a balance of good will and greed, and while one event wasn't that big of a balance, it was something that a lot of players looked forward too.. its like a birthday, but now, you have to pay for all the gifts you get, or work them off .. imagine that.. oh thanks for the awesome birthday present friend, waite, I have to rake your yard 15 times to be able to keep it.. ummmm. no..

this maneuver by cryptic is a slap in the face to us, the players. and I for one have closed my wallet (which sucks cause I had a few things planned lol). but yeah, I for one, see how they feel about their consumers, and their game..
    edited January 2014
    puttenham wrote: »
    its been stated a thousand times that its not about the quality of the ship.. its about the presidence that has been set, and the fact that this even (the anniversary) event wasn't about us doing another chore, but about cryptic showing appreciation for all of us who stick around.. I have never played a game (and I have played a lot) where during the anniversary event, I had to grind (or pay for) the event prize.. it is usually a gesture from the gaming company as a thank you...

this is now gone.. and thus has nothing to do with the ship.. I don't care if its the be all end all ship, or the crappiest ship ever, its not the point..

Totally agree with you, I was leaning more towards I am done talking and will wait and see, we are just churning the same old butter. :D
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Don't try to play dumb to win an argument. A lot of private contractors charge for travel time and mileage which is "time" spent in the car. Similarly, contractors may charge for somebody cancelling a job on short notice because of lost opportunities even if they didn't work. That's defining time as money and lost opportunities, concepts that are common in Western societies.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
    edited January 2014
    moosethedj wrote: »

yeah but where do you think were gonna be in two years..

and the faction rep grind isn't as tedious.. you lose nothing, and gain everything.. this game, its costs me roughly 500 thousand ec every time I fill a toons faction rep.. in wow, you go and do dailys, turn them in, and you gain gain gain.. you do not have to spend anything..

and... you don't necessarly have to do any of their faction grinding.. as they do not unlock "endgame" content, and they do not unlock "passive" perks.. cryptic designed them so anyone who wants to stay current and competitive, has to do them..

I have skipped doing any faction grinds in wow, and it did not effect my endgame experience..

rep in sto, is a joke..
  • phadrenphadren Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You call 5 mins a day grinding? and you don't have to do it no ones holding a phaser to your head. Looking forward to the new ship and cant wait to see what they do for the event.
    edited January 2014
    kyuzos7 wrote: »
    well i said this already but someone said it was mute :mad:

its not that it isn't a good argument, its just, this thread is not about the quality of the ship, or how we get a quality ship, its about the anniversary event, and the big f-u we are getting..

im not complaining that they are releasing a crappy ship, or blah blah blah.. just that they are crapping on the player base.

the anniversary event was always a featured episode, that granted a free ship at the end of the 1 piece of content.. not anymore.. now its a money grab...
    edited January 2014
    phadren wrote: »
    You call 5 mins a day grinding? and you don't have to do it no ones holding a phaser to your head. Looking forward to the new ship and cant wait to see what they do for the event.

It is not again about 5 minutes is about having to do this event to obtain the FREE ship 16 days in total per each character. Per each ship, so if you want to have all 3 ships is 48 times, c'mon don't play dumb now.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It is not again about 5 minutes is about having to do this event to obtain the FREE ship 16 days in total per each character. Per each ship, so if you want to have all 3 ships is 48 times, c'mon don't play dumb now.

That is 4 hours total spread over 21 (?) or whatever available days for the event. If it is 21 days, that is 0.008% of the allotted time. It is approximately 10 min per day over 21 if you for example do 2 characters each day, rotating one out... one of the days you may have to do all 3 of them, perhaps twice at the most (doing this in my head, but I am close).

IF it is only 5 min a day, its not an overwhelming grind as far as such things go, even for all 3 characters. That still does not make the grind a good idea, fun, or any less boring and dull. But 5/day is a tiny grind, all things considered. I spend more time than that daily setting up my DO missions. If you *play* the game, you will spend more time than that in loading screens or pointless travel each day.
    edited January 2014
    noroblad wrote: »
    That is 4 hours total spread over 21 (?) or whatever available days for the event. If it is 21 days, that is 0.008% of the allotted time. It is approximately 10 min per day over 21 if you for example do 2 characters each day, rotating one out... one of the days you may have to do all 3 of them, perhaps twice at the most (doing this in my head, but I am close).

IF it is only 5 min a day, its not an overwhelming grind as far as such things go, even for all 3 characters. That still does not make the grind a good idea, fun, or any less boring and dull. But 5/day is a tiny grind, all things considered. I spend more time than that daily setting up my DO missions. If you *play* the game, you will spend more time than that in loading screens or pointless travel each day.

yes, but add it to the rest of the "maintenance grind" time, and your talking about hours a day.. of doing what "they" want you to do, instead of what "you" want to do...