test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: 4-yr Ann. Event (was: Enjoy another rep for anniversary ships *post #30 & #643*)

Comments

• worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Oh, Lord, this ^^^^^ ! Or at least something like it.

You guys really, really need to get away from this one mission/task over-and-over reward thing.

Give us a few things to do to choose from and let us have a little bit of variety to go with our grind. It doesn't have to be a whole lot.

I've said it before. If the event daily were more like a New Romulus/Tau Dewa sort of thing where you had a few different things you could choose to do to complete the daily, it would be a lot more bearable.

As it is, we get bored with the event long before its over. Why do you want us to feel bored? That doesn't sound like a good plan.

The DO system works because there's variety. Sure, there's a lot of repetition, too, but the variety of assignments keeps it fresh enough to bother with. I DOFF multiple characters a session whenever I can get away with it, and not just because the rewards are worth it.

I totally agree with this.

The winter event would have been a lot less of a chore if you had, say, a present search, where you have to find 10 or so Trek-themed presents in WW in 5 minutes, and the ones you have to find are different each time. It should be easy to win every time, but at the same time different enough to maintain interest.

Bluegeek's suggestion of something like the Tau Dewa and star cluster patrol missions is exactly on point. I have been spending quite a bit of time recently running star cluster patrols. The rewards are small, but so is the time commitment, and it's just a little thing to spice up my game.

Also, I run a LOT of foundry missions. I have a couple favorites (Sword of the Kuvah'Magh and Talking to Old Soldiers especially) that I run whenever I have a spare half-hour or so. I support anything that gives us ship grind missions that are:

(a) a little different each time
    (b) easily winnable every time
    (c) not too long.

Do these things, and I will not complain about the grind.
  • tikonovtikonov Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If its a 10 console slot 'max tier' ship then the grind isnt so bad : p

If i could do a daily 15 times in row and get any other 10 slot ship it would be pretty awesome :P Reality of grinding zen/ec for these is much longer

If it turns out to be a 9-slot-with-fleet-variant? total bs...

Seems the community is pretty divided on this : want long grind as long its 'endgame quality' ship, want one day mission if its 9 consoles with fleet, want 10 slot ship from one mission run : the first two of these are reasonable given cryptics/pwe buisness strats :P the last ? lol and sucks to say that..
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Random thought but if I got a ship without the grind I'd actually consider spending real money to get more ship slots. With the grind, as stated previous, these ships had better make everything else obsolete.
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    tikonov wrote: »
    Seems the community is pretty divided on this : want long grind as long its 'endgame quality' ship, want one day mission if its 9 consoles with fleet, want 10 slot ship from one mission run : the first two of these are reasonable given cryptics/pwe buisness strats :P the last ? lol and sucks to say that..
    Does anyone actually WANT the grind?

As I've said I don't MIND grinding for my FREE item, but I would prefer this grind to be something engaging and ENJOYABLE. Sadly, up until now all Cryptic has offered was some silly and pointless activities that's nowhere near actual "fun".

In comparison, doing Crystalline Catastrophe daily during the event was also a grind, but at least it was fun, enjoyable and challenging (on Elite), despite it's repetitiveness.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I'm normally supportive of what you guys do, but I've got to say that I am not looking forward to grinding the same mission over and over for 15 out of 25 days per character for a ship... after having just done that for three of my characters during the winter event.

This is more than "just a little extra effort". And it's more time-consuming than it sounds. You might as well have put these ships in the C-Store and been done with it.

Maybe I'll change my mind after I see the stats, but those ships are going to have to be pretty amazing for me to do it even one time.

Please, please do not start pushing everything into the Event system with 1000 point projects. You start turning all of these promotions into 25 day grindfests and people are going to start getting fed up with them. I know I was looking forward to not having to grind out another one-mission Event for at least a few months. I have fleet projects I need to spend time on.

I would have happily played through a 5-episode FE series to get a ship. I get that you can't realistically do that kind of thing very often. If you had left the Event timing more open-ended, I would have been okay with that too. Or give us the whole month of February to run it ten times. Or make the dang reward account-wide.

ANYTHING to make this tolerable to those of us who have alts and like it like that. That's my feedback.

^ This! I was glad when the Winter event was over and the PRESSURE to have to be in my seat playing the same exact thing EVERYDAY, was now past.

I am normally here daily, anyways; enjoying the play without the pressure. It's the only time of day that I get to do whatever I want without have to think about the pressures and stress of RL for just a while.

I would rather play a multi-episode series (to keep my "cheeks in the seat") than these long stints of playing the same exact thing multitudes of times (which, after a while, could be equated to watching "Spock's Brain" over, over and over again. :D )

To make it worth it to me, at this point, would be if the ships were canon, otherwise please just put it in the C-Store to generate your revenue.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • koppenflakkoppenflak Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Oh for heaven's sake, Cryptic...

So soon after the winter event, there is nothing I want to do less than grind out another token extravaganza to earn another ship.

I don't have a great deal of time to play these days, and what time I do spend in game I like to spend with my fleet doing stuff that matters.

I would happily accept another nine-console VA ship with options for a Fleet version later in the year, but I am not doing another grind that's likely to take up to an hour out of my playing time every day, for the few characters that are likely to use these ships.

Grinding is *not* fun. You are going out of your way to make some astonishingly good missions and are making real efforts to get great members of the Star Trek cast to appear in this game, and Nagus knows it has improved out of sight from where we were in 2011... Why do you want to sour that great content with mindless repetition which, as someone else in this thread already pointed out, devolves the game to a mentality of "Damn it! Run faster! Let's get this done! I've still got characters to get through!"

I just can't do this any more. It's taken the wind out of me, and I just don't care enough about yet *another* ship that is likely to disappear in to my shipyard again in a few short months to sap time that I want to enjoy with grinding.

Especially on an anniversary event!

Please rethink this system of yours. It's just not enjoyable, and I've tried hard to phrase this as respectfully as I can. :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    Does anyone actually WANT the grind?

As I've said I don't MIND grinding for my FREE item, but I would prefer this grind to be something engaging and ENJOYABLE. Sadly, up until now all Cryptic has offered was some silly and pointless activities that's nowhere near actual "fun".

In comparison, doing Crystalline Catastrophe daily during the event was also a grind, but at least it was fun, enjoyable and challenging (on Elite), despite it's repetitiveness.

Perhaps a "good grind" would be one that requires creativity and interactivity, thus becoming engaging EVERYTIME you play it, with different potential outcomes - even better. Not something that you just mindnumbingly follow the same exact path each time.

Space missions can easily have different outcomes depending on the players/teams performance. Ground missions? I guess ground battle is the same. Dialog/puzzle missions less so.

Running the same exact snowy path 25 times - NONE. At least the Summer events allowed you to explore an island. Don't get me wrong but working with Worf was great for the first few times, but after that - NONE.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,526 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ... and there's a 20H cool down on the mission to keep us from earning the points over the weekends, isn't there? No making up for lost time?

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think that Cryptic is missing the whole point of why many people love holiday/special events. Speaking for myself, the main reason why I like them so much is because they're meant to be a nice, fun break from the normal every day grind. All MMOs have a grind to varying degrees and the events were always something I looked forward to because it breaks it up a bit. Lets the playerbase unwind and goof off so to speak.

By adding in these ridiculous 1000 point 2-3 week rep grinds, they effectively defeat the entire purpose of special events. Instead of relieving the daily grind, Cryptic is just adding to it. And that just sucks the fun out of everything. Instead of thinking "Sweet, a new event is coming up!" I just think "Bah, another grind to skip." I don't think that's the proper way to handle special events at all. And it bugs me since STO is literally the only MMO that I've played that does this. All the rest seem to handle their events fairly well.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Another thing to consider is that it would probably feel more rewarding to do a 2 day feature episode that required a bit of skill to complete than to get a ship doing the same or similar things 15 days in a row.

Course this is less about being rewarding and more about getting people to log in every day.
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited January 2014
    So far, with the exception of a few dissenters, the reaction has been very negative. Branflakes should communicate this to the higher ups. It is not too late to mitigate this disaster.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
    edited January 2014
    greyhame3 wrote: »
    Another thing to consider is that it would probably feel more rewarding to do a 2 day feature episode that required a bit of skill to complete than to get a ship doing the same or similar things 5 days in a row.

Course this is less about being rewarding and more about getting people to log in every day.

Bring back the hourly events and make them worthwhile. Don't ruin the anniversary events.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    nickx9 wrote: »
    ha ha on the spot :D

I have read all of this for just the lulz

and 90% of replyes are : "I WANT EVERYTHING NAO, AND I DONT WANT DO DO ANYTHING TO GET IT, AND NO I DONT WANT TO PAY SO I DONT NEED TO DO ANYTHING, AND I WANT IT ON MY 23673 TOONS BECAUSE YOLO, AAAARRRGHHH" :D

To be serious Cryptic need to bold one statement:

"we took time to make something different for you (ungrateful bunch) , and give you OPPORTUNITY to get it for FREE" take it or go on your marry buisnesses

to edit my self: Those that really feel the need to have something in this or any other game, should really get some profesional help cuz you have addiction disorder and go on a rehab before its to late

Go back under the bridge you came from. Some of us are actually quite serious players who happen to be willing to do what it necessary, but for some strange reason have these things called lives. In the real world. And a lot of us are just plain sick of the grind.

Now I will only speak for myself here, but I am willing to do the grind. I really am. Compared to the MMO I was playing before this, this grind is nothing. Seriously. It's nothing. But Cryptic knows that a crapton of their playerbase just went back to school/work. And yet they're releasing something that's supposed to be a celebration and an enjoyable one at that... as a grind. THAT is what a lot of us are complaining about. If it was just additional game content that we could do whenever, that wouldn't be an issue. But seeing as it's a limited time event DURING SCHOOL AND MAIN BUSINESS TIME... yeeeah no.
    Reality check

1. You will do the event
    2. You will grind it
    3. You will get the ship
    4. Because you cant be that guy that doesnt have it
    5. Gotta catch em all
    6. Pokemon
    7. Youll never use it
    8. No one cares you never use it
    9. Post on forums in a week you have nothing to do again.

Rylan. Seriously. Why must you always make me laugh when I want to be mad.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • dom1941dom1941 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    I think that Cryptic is missing the whole point of why many people love holiday/special events. Speaking for myself, the main reason why I like them so much is because they're meant to be a nice, fun break from the normal every day grind. All MMOs have a grind to varying degrees and the events were always something I looked forward to because it breaks it up a bit. Lets the playerbase unwind and goof off so to speak.

By adding in these ridiculous 1000 point 2-3 week rep grinds, they effectively defeat the entire purpose of special events. Instead of relieving the daily grind, Cryptic is just adding to it. And that just sucks the fun out of everything. Instead of thinking "Sweet, a new event is coming up!" I just think "Bah, another grind to skip." I don't think that's the proper way to handle special events at all. And it bugs me since STO is literally the only MMO that I've played that does this. All the rest seem to handle their events fairly well.

Im right with you! Events espiecally the Anniversary event shouldn't be a total grind fest...I really really hope PWE rethinks this...more then likely nope.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Cryptic devs are ****in *******.

What about the casual players? All this rep grind has scared off a lot of players I know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I read up to pg 14, and that was enough.

DROP the damn timegate and daily. WW, SE, CE, now AE? Comeone, its a FREE ship right? instead of pandering around with timegated events locked into some arbitrary timeframe, that may or may not be accomplishable by all.

Why no drop the "daily" part, make it an "hourly", or even better drop it all together. The damn things are bound to character, so whats the harm in making it so if i only have a day a week i can play i can rake in as much as possible that day?

For example i work 5, 12 hour shifts a week currently due to short staffing. Plus a 30 minute drive to work and same time back, and sleep. Do you really think i can log on for an hour everyday? Not so much. But i can log on twice a week and play as long as i want.

So why not let me re-run this "whatever it is" 2, 3, 4, 5 times a day? Would it be that bad to make an Event grind that you get to choose how many times you want to do it? There would be far less QQ about it.

And i mean only these event grinds, leave the others alone-ish (after updating them to be like dyson).

Let me earn those ships on all my toons if i want, instead of Sorry you didnt have power for a week, buy some Lobi, or sorry your computer died, buy some lobi, OR sorry we dont care whaqt your life might be like, buy some Lobi.....

If i have to buy Lobi to get the ship due to extenuating circumstances, then it isnt a free ship is it?

If i want to run it 5 times day, so i can get it in two weeks because thats all the time i have, let me. Dont trap me and others like me behind your arbitrary timegate.

Thanks.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mcudgreatfoul739mcudgreatfoul739 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    well no one is saying it yet so i will.
    all you fan bois who suport the grind
    must be on drugs, there is no way a normal strait
    person ,who has a life , can do grind after grind after grind...
    look everyone started the game cause it was "startrek".
    not "grind trek".
    fact: video games made for asia markets are grind fests,
    to make lots of cash, everone knows about currency sellers
    threw out all the games.
    hey back in the day we all called it for what it has become,
    grind trek.

and ya you don't have to do anything,
    western stile MMO's get made and
    then go no where, thats the whole point of going FTP.
    it's an industry,
    the companys even traded on stock markets around the world.
  • sanokskyratsanokskyrat Member Posts: 479 Media Corps
    edited January 2014
    Grinding anniversary ship? Shouldn't it be a gift for years of servitude? This is the one ship once a year i look forward to as a reward.

Not happy...
    1368747308047.cached_zpsl4joalbs.jpg
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What about the casual players? All this rep grind has scared off a lot of players I know.

This is what telling me not to do it. They are not offering enough time, even for the weekend guys to get it. And that is playing Sat and Sun only. Which is how I play.

I don't see it worth my time to do it. If I can't meet the goal in time. And I don't mind the grind if I can do it. Just like the Rep grinds. I don't mind doing them. I got 2 going now with my Fed and KDF.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have a suggestion for Cryptic, run a Feature Episode Rerun at the same time. The what 16 lobi crystals a day wil buy some extra tokens.

But make it descent for 5 lobi you should get at least 40 tokens, not this silly 2-6 weirdness. Or even charge 10 lobi.

A feature episode rerun is even themetic to an annversary event.

ll
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have a suggestion for Cryptic, run a Feature Episode Rerun at the same time. The what 16 lobi crystals a day wil buy some extra tokens.

But make it descent for 5 lobi you should get at least 40 tokens, not this silly 2-6 weirdness. Or even charge 10 lobi.

A feature episode rerun is even themetic to an annversary event.

ll

This is a good idea as well. If I can't get the lobi for the event ship. At least I can use the lobi for something else out of the store.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014

And of course then the people who usually do such things wouldn't buy piles of keys for lockboxes to get Lobi.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Who thinks of this stuff? I already grind a 9-5 I don't need to do it on the computer as well and this substituting grind for content is doing an effective job of slowly grinding my interest away from the game.
    This isn't Star Trek, this is an Asian elf and ogre fantasy token grinder with Spaceships in it.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Look at it from Cryptic's point of view though ... The ship/item has to be desirable even 'highly' desirable, so that people WILL grind for it or spend on it, and believe that 'the grind' was worth it ... But by the same token the ship/item can't be something 'uber' or game changing, because then, those that really truly cant spend enough time to get it will be disadvantaged.

It's a catch 22 situation for Cryptic, and I certainly don't envy them having to think up and item that is both desirable, yet skip-able. They are damned if the do and damned if they don't ... "Grinders" will complain that it's "not worth the grind" or casual players will say "it isn't fair 'coz I cant have it" ... It's why most event stuff is pretty much just cosmetic, and relatively easily matched by stuff already in game, or very similar ...

So why not just give it away for free then, I hear you say? ...

Yeah well sure, why not just give away everything in game, from XII lvl gear to ships to Lockboxes and keys and hope that players will "donate" to Cryptic out of the goodness of there hearts ...
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
    edited January 2014
    This is a bogus argument. 1 free ship giveaway once a year isn't asking for everything to be given away for free. In fact it has been this way the last 3 years. Also we are fine with a 9 console freebie and 10 console in c store or fleet holdings.

The grind is a pretty blatant move to keep players logging in and encouraging them to gamble real cash to ease the burden of obtaining this gift.
    bendalek wrote: »
    Look at it from Cryptic's point of view though ... The ship/item has to be desirable even 'highly' desirable, so that people WILL grind for it or spend on it, and believe that 'the grind' was worth it ... But by the same token the ship/item can't be something 'uber' or game changing, because then, those that really truly cant spend enough time to get it will be disadvantaged.

It's a catch 22 situation for Cryptic, and I certainly don't envy them having to think up and item that is both desirable, yet skip-able. They are damned if the do and damned if they don't ... "Grinders" will complain that it's "not worth the grind" or casual players will say "it isn't fair 'coz I cant have it" ... It's why most event stuff is pretty much just cosmetic, and relatively easily matched by stuff already in game, or very similar ...

So why not just give it away for free then, I hear you say? ...

Yeah well sure, why not just give away everything in game, from XII lvl gear to ships to Lockboxes and keys and hope that players will "donate" to Cryptic out of the goodness of there hearts ...

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • mutualcoremutualcore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It is probably just the little puzzle where Q hides in party boxes and you guess which one he is in.
    These new ships might be available later as a c-store or fleet version anyway.
    Yeah, the daily repeat can be tiresome and I'm sure there are more creative ways to earn a ship but people will forever complain no matter what.

45 pages of the same few people posting bad and forth all day, what a waste of time...get back to your "grinding"!
  • superherofansuperherofan Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If it's the final ten console version, then I'm happy we get it without having to pay for the "better" one like with the Ambassador or Odyssey.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This is taken from an interview D'Angelo did at Massively. Emphasis added.
    There is always a tension between building straightforward story content and building content that is designed for repeated play. Story content takes more dev time to develop. It is very popular, but it is consumed very quickly and has less "replayability." Content designed for repeat play is generally lighter on story, but we work hard to fit these pieces of content into support roles or backstory for the main storyline. We are striving for a balance here that keeps the story moving forward, while providing players replayable content. Reputations are a way to reward players for playing the content, so we do plan to continue having them for most content.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01/23/captains-log-supplemental-stos-stephen-dangelo-speaks/

Key line... "having them for MOST content".

Guess we know the direction of the game going forward... more reps... more "replayable" content... translation The Grind is here to stay, and this is the direction they will be going.

Normally, I am OK, not exactly happy but OK, with it...

I have 4 mains that I run... all T5 (3 without sponsorship) with each rep. In all honesty, the reps/dailies don't take much time... but that's not the point. Fact is, I will run any new reps that come out.

What really sticks to me here... its the Anniversary Event... supposed to be a celebration for STO reaching year 4, and still going strong.

Many of us have been here since launch... all of us have stuck by the game (good times, and bad). Many continue to support as Subscribers, Life Timers, or Zen Buyers...

There are aspects of the game that I haven't cared for, but I understand you can't make everyone happy... I get that... so do the myriad of people who frequent the forums to complain. I, and many others, also understand that as a business you need to make money.

Deep down, we love the game... else we wouldn't be here at all. This was really the only event I thought was supposed to just be a game wide celebration. Not another, how can we squeeze a few extra bucks out of them.

Bran, I have the highest respect for you, and the job you do... As I do for all the Dev's. But you know as well as I, that there was a meeting where something along the lines of "We need to monetize the Anniversary Event... we've invested resources into this, and we got to make that money back... there needs to be a Return on Investment". Or a higher up asked the question "Whats the ROI for this ship and FE?".

Its no longer a celebration, no longer a "Hey everyone... we're still here... we're still growing... and Thank you". Its now another way to make money.

Such a shame.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This game has a fever

And the only prescription

Is more grinding
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus