test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Friendly Reminder: The vast majority of players thinks that Admiral ranks are cheesy

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    I am certain that this bugs a great many people - and with it being such a minor thing that would not even bother the "I want to be an Admiral" players, I think it is very reasonable suggestion to add this feature. Most people win, nobody looses. Where's your problem with that?

But being forced to be Admiral in a Star Trek game? That's a real issue for many people.

As long as it is completely optional, it is fine, but forcing people to be Captain when they prefer to be Vice Admiral or Admiral will not have "Most people win, nobody loses." In fact, it will anger a bunch of people. The saying should be "Many people win, many people lose" since there is no way to determine who is the majority without a census. The people that want to be an Admiral want Admiral content like commanding a small fleet.

A rank selector where we can choose which rank to use based on a bunch of appropriate titles and npcs refer to our chosen rank would go a long way.
    edited December 2013
    donrah wrote: »
    Ranks should be something restricted to fleets. So in your fleet you can go from Ensign to Vice Admiral if you earn it in the eyes of your fleet. In terms of the story, you're just a 1st officer who has been granted his first command by the loss of your captain (it would make more sense canon-wise as well since ranks are granted by merit, not by a point system), granting you a field promotion to captain. The rank system could be replaced with medals that indicate your progress. Earn 50 medals and you're max level. With 50 medals on your record, you'd be considered a legendary captain like Kirk or Picard.

Sorry, but this won't work. People transfer fleets all the time or don't even belong to fleets. So the people that don't belong to fleets would never have a rank while people that transfer fleets would get demoted. Another problem with this is that it would created too many top-heavy fleets where everyone is at the top or near the top while nobody is at the bottom. A Captain doesn't become an Ensign because they transfer to another fleet. A Captain becomes an Ensign because they did something incredibly stupid, but not stupid enough that they get kicked out.
  • sjokruhlicasjokruhlica Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If admiral ranks are the worst thing you have to complain about, you're doing ok.
  • kiriseekirisee Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Too many pages to read all of the whining.....this is STO not your canon tv series...get over it already......and btw.....kirk WAS an Admiral after what? TMP???
    "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    They could have done so much for that mission and it is just scan 5 clouds. Although, I am not sure if it is the Gorgan from TOS, another Gorgan, or another alien species that is similar to Gorgans.
    Not according to the story. :P According to the story you're banishing the Gorgans from the planet.

Since it's Gorgans(plural) I'm guessing different ones from the TOS ep.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    look up them thread and you will see its just the same small group that have been doing them for 4 years like T5 connie threads

and there is that word again silly are you new to the game? one could say threads like this is silly why because this is a GAME not real i love to see you tell a admiral what they can and can not do see what happens to you

Huh? Don't accuse ppl of making stuff up by making stuff up. I dislike the Admiral Rang outside of a fleet structure as much as I dislike the idea of a Constitution being equal to a Sovy. Or galaxy. Or even a Delta Flyer.

Nothing personal, love that ship class and its design, but it just does not fit (like a lot of other stuff that already made it in the game but adding more bad stuff does not suddenly make all good whats bad; removing other bad stuff does).
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    kirisee wrote: »
    Too many pages to read all of the whining.....this is STO not your canon tv series...get over it already......and btw.....kirk WAS an Admiral after what? TMP???

And look at all the stuff he had to destroy, rules to break and getting close to make a cold war with the klingons hot till he finally got what he really want: be a captain again, travel to a time/space thingy and warn a future captain of the Enterprise how much being an Admiral sucks. With his dying words!
  • breygornbreygorn Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If we are Admirals...
    Where is our desk? office? And the mounds of paper work missions?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Huh? Don't accuse ppl of making stuff up by making stuff up. I dislike the Admiral Rang outside of a fleet structure as much as I dislike the idea of a Constitution being equal to a Sovy. Or galaxy. Or even a Delta Flyer.

Nothing personal, love that ship class and its design, but it just does not fit (like a lot of other stuff that already made it in the game but adding more bad stuff does not suddenly make all good whats bad; removing other bad stuff does).

well thats your opinion i loved Admiral Ross as much as you dislike it its fact it happen and others to nothing you can say or do will ever change it want to change it then become the IP holder good luck with that though ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited December 2013
    And look at all the stuff he had to destroy, rules to break and getting close to make a cold war with the klingons hot till he finally got what he really want: be a captain again, travel to a time/space thingy and warn a future captain of the Enterprise how much being an Admiral sucks. With his dying words!

you say all that and i think back to the TV show and see the same thing when he was a captain
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • donrahdonrah Member Posts: 348
    edited December 2013
    Sorry, but this won't work. People transfer fleets all the time or don't even belong to fleets. So the people that don't belong to fleets would never have a rank while people that transfer fleets would get demoted. Another problem with this is that it would created too many top-heavy fleets where everyone is at the top or near the top while nobody is at the bottom. A Captain doesn't become an Ensign because they transfer to another fleet. A Captain becomes an Ensign because they did something incredibly stupid, but not stupid enough that they get kicked out.

It would work just fine. You earn the rank by merit. If you transfer to another fleet you haven't earned a higher rank in that fleet. If you're given the rank of Captain by your current fleet and then transfer to a new fleet, why should you keep it? What does it matter anyway? The ranks are just a cheap way to dress up a weak level system. You didn't earn that rank of Vice Admiral, ranks are earned by merit, not how many points you scored. Real ranks are what your fleet grants you for your contributions to the goals of the fleet. People that do a stand-out job earn promotions. That's how it should work. For the purposes of the story, you should be a captain as soon as you're assigned a ship to command. Your rank would be captain. I'm a member of a fleet right now that is composed of a group of fleets. We jump from fleet to fleet all the time to contribute marks to the smaller fleets and then jump back. Our ranks are restored by the leadership after we return. Easy-peasy, lemon squeezy.

In truth, using any ranks at all in this game is meaningless. Ranks are used to establish a hierarchy to distribute responsibilities and privilege based on merit and experience among members of a group. STO does not play that way. You are a single person performing all operations of a ship alone. If ships required a crew of human players to manage, then ranks would mean something.
    Go here and show your support for a better Foundry!
    edited December 2013
    and i would very much like us to have to go to starfleet academy for years and years and even before you get a starship you will have to work your way up to a starship if you pass the command test i mean how it was done in the TV show sorry ships just was not handed to you like they are in the game also we would be assigned to a ship not you pick it i mean how it was in the show so as to how it should be in the game also let me add think its time starfleet move back to one uniform to rule them all its how it was in the show so as to how it should be in the game

still want rank to be captain get my rank change and i promise you this I will make a campaign to make all these changes come to be
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • clearbeardclearbeard Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    But I'm not a Captain any more, not really. I have a small fleet of ships at my command, and as an Admiral I can transfer my flag to any one of them at a moment's notice. Many other players have purchased ship slot upgrades and have significantly larger armadas than I.

Now it would be nice to be able to assign a Captain to a second (or more) of those ships and lead a squadron or fleet into battle, but that's a discussion for a different thread.
    edited December 2013
    donrah wrote: »
    It would work just fine. You earn the rank by merit. If you transfer to another fleet you haven't earned a higher rank in that fleet. If you're given the rank of Captain by your current fleet and then transfer to a new fleet, why should you keep it? What does it matter anyway? The ranks are just a cheap way to dress up a weak level system. You didn't earn that rank of Vice Admiral, ranks are earned by merit, not how many points you scored. Real ranks are what your fleet grants you for your contributions to the goals of the fleet. People that do a stand-out job earn promotions. That's how it should work. For the purposes of the story, you should be a captain as soon as you're assigned a ship to command. Your rank would be captain. I'm a member of a fleet right now that is composed of a group of fleets. We jump from fleet to fleet all the time to contribute marks to the smaller fleets and then jump back. Our ranks are restored by the leadership after we return. Easy-peasy, lemon squeezy.

Each fleet is different with some players never getting above the initial rank. That is not a matter of merit, but politics. For example, I could donate thousands of Fleet Marks and millions of dilithium, but because I join a fleet with fleet leaders that only promote their friends, I am stuck at the initial rank. Merit is determined by all the missions you have done not because you schmooze the Fleet Leaders or form your own fleet. Also, you haven't resolved the issue of players that never join a fleet.

The simple fact is that a player's rank should never be decided by other players. People get forgotten, ignored, harassed, and other problems while in fleets and letting some players control a portion of another player's gameplay is a really bad idea. In an ideal world it might work, but not all fleets have good and honorable fleet leaders that follow the laws they have set for the fleet.
    edited December 2013
    After all, apparently in STO all field officers running ships are Admirals...:rolleyes:)

because the story is about you and only you as far as the game story goes you are the only Admiral there are not 100000 of admiral as far game story goes imo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited December 2013
    because the story is about you and only you as far as the game story goes you are the only Admiral there are not 100000 of admiral as far game story goes imo

It is amazing how many people don't understand this simple concept.
    edited December 2013
    Have you ever even watched any of the star trek shows? Star Fleet NEVER had a single uniform it required everyone to wear. Not only did each show have a different everyday uniform the main characters wore, it also changed with no explanation. Different duty stations and career paths also were shown to have different uniforms from time to time.

here

here

here

here

here

here

here

you missed the point i didnt see TNG use ToS uniforms did you? i may have miss that season i didnt see VOY use ToS also btw not one of them links work for me and yes i have seen every movie sadly counting JJ trek yes i have seen every TV show also have ds9 and voy on dvd
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited December 2013
    Now, you're ready to join the ranks of legends like Kirk, Picard, and Sisko. To explore strange new worlds, seek out new life, and new civilizations, and to boldly go where no one has gone before!.

are we playing the same game...... this game not about To explore strange new worlds, seek out new life, and new civilizations, and to boldly go where no one has gone before!
    its about a go shoot them up space shooter
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    breygorn wrote: »
    If we are Admirals...
    Where is our desk? office?
    Ready room.
    breygorn wrote: »
    And the mounds of paper work missions?
    Doffs. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited December 2013
    Sisko served in a time of war and his duties were scarcely different than the content you get in the game. Kirk served in a time of cold war and did quite a bit more than his fair share of kicking TRIBBLE and tossing the names out the airlock as well. Picard served in the most soft period Starfleet has ever known, but even he had his moments of action.

Remember, this is a game not a simulator. Even on the shows and in the films, the camera turns on when something interesting happens. How many episodes have started with "Captains Log, Stardate XXXXX, we have been on a routine mission doing (insert boring mundane task here) but now..."? If you want to simulate that experience, do a few dozen Exploration Cluster and Diplomatic Corps missions in between each combat or story mission to accurately reflect how much of a ship's time is spent on quiet tasks between flashes of intense action.

ya but this game other than look and names is not like the show we killed more than was done in 4 years of DS9 borg are a laughing stock in the game they may as well be kazon from Voy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It is amazing how many people don't understand this simple concept.

id buy that if i didnt encounter 1000 admirals every day.
    edited December 2013
    id buy that if i didnt encounter 1000 admirals every day.

do this picture them not their or picture them as captain your pick also think about it why is starfleet going to send another admiral to do the job i done dont make any sense so as to why the game story is about you and only you also the server name is the holodeck got to take all things in to moderation

also like to add so much of this game can be done alone and if you take this into consideration explains why so much of the game can be done alone
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ...think about it why is starfleet going to send another admiral to do the job i done dont make any sense so as to why the game story is about you and only you...

i dont know why, but they clearly do. i spend at least half my time being teamed with 4 admirals/generals to complete a given objective. in fact, i am normally forbidden from teaming with lower-ranked people.
    edited December 2013
    i dont know why, but they clearly do. i spend at least half my time being teamed with 4 admirals/generals to complete a given objective. in fact, i am normally forbidden from teaming with lower-ranked people.

story wise they are just NPC to you they are real life ppl this is where imagination comes in to play something a lot here lack
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited December 2013
    Oh you don't remember seeing any of these episodes?

here

here

here

here

So that's Sisko, Dax, O'Brien, and Bashir in ToS uniforms and Tuvok and Janeway in the uniforms we saw in Wrath of Khan era.

Looks like someone needs to watch his Voy/DS9 dvd's. :P

nice try again that was not there standard uniforms and really all you got ((one)) EP's out of 7 year run show so again nice try and dont know where you links are from but they dont work you may want to look to Memory Alpha for links that work

but for you info i have seen the one time episodes that show them in a tos but again not there standard uniforms of their timeline ask for my good captain janeway that was a mind meld with tuvok

and if you look back to my post i did say season not one time EP because i for saw this reply with them one time EP :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited December 2013
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    You are confusing the paperwork of a captain with the one of an admiral, I think.

so where does bug spraying fall in to this? tagin space bunnies ? need i keep going on?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • calbrandcalbrand Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Late reply to this, I know. But I only just started playing STO last month...

First of all, it was too quick to reach the level cap. It took months longer in SWTOR.

Secondly, I'd prefer the rank of Admiral to come from completing the Episodes. I've still got many to complete...
  • borgus1122borgus1122 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well, its realy that in Star trek there sren't that many admirals. And it's almost funny that everyone is admiral in STO. But this is game. And after you're promoted to captain, you wish to advance further to admiral, so you spend extra hours to get to highest rank.
    It's like this: when you are young, you wish to be older. And when you are odl(er) you wish to be young. I love title Vice admiral, and if you're admiral, you can bbe captain. But if you're captain, you can't allso be admiral.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    As I keep pointing out, most of the Klingons we see in TNG outside of Worf's family are still covertly allied with the Romulans and in general we've never seen a Klingon onscreen who is both anti-Federation and anti-Romulan. Every Klingon we see is an ally of one or the other except for Gowron.

Well, and Chang. Chang was working with Federation AND Romulans.

The idea that they're against both mainly boils down to Klingon fans trying to reconcile all the Klingons we see onscreen into one set of views and it's a bit like two blind men trying to describe an elephant.

To be fair, Klingons were used like any other species in Star Trek:

Whatever purpose the writers needed them to be.

For example, the two-parter Unification. Nobody ever expected Romulans to ever have any kind of 'Reunification' movement. But because that's what the writers wanted, that is what happened.

Which does kind of make the whole thing a bit of a mess to figure out.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, it's no surprise to anyone you'd start backpedaling after being confronted with photographic evidence and claiming you meant something more detailed from your broad generalization. :rolleyes:

did you ever see picard in a in a ToS uniform while he was commanded the Starship Enterprise ? how about sisko other than that one EP how about janeway other than a mind meld sorry but starfleet in the show did not work like this game where you can put on what ever time lines uniform you want you follow a dress code like all timelines did........ do you see US soldier in Civil War uniforms outside of reenactment? that is the point you been missing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead