test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Friendly Reminder: The vast majority of players thinks that Admiral ranks are cheesy

sophlogimosophlogimo Member Posts: 6,507 Arc User
Yep. We all know it, having player captains be of Admiral rank is silly, breaking immersion, un-Trek and stupid on many levels.

If I could just voice one wish about STO, it would be to have my toons stay Captain (Starfleet), Captain or HoD (Klingons), or Commander/Riov (Romulans).

Please.
Remember, STO is nothing but a cosmetics game, where only the rule of cool matters. The game mechanics are intentionally out of balance, don't try to "optimize" anything, as it would just frustrate you.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Friendly reminder: 83% of all statistics are made up on the spot. =D
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    you can called put on you captain title
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • nagrom7nagrom7 Member Posts: 995 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harden up Princess
    Looking for an Oceanic fleet? Check out our website:
    www.ausmonauts.com
  • kokushibyokokushibyo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Yep. We all know it, having player captains be of Admiral rank is silly, breaking immersion, un-Trek and stupid on many levels.

If I could just voice one wish about STO, it would be to have my toons stay Captain (Starfleet), Captain or HoD (Klingons), or Commander/Riov (Romulans).

Please.

Speak for yourself thanks. I like my Admiral/General rank. It certainly isn't any more silly than chasing after space-bunnies, flying an enemy ship, or dinosaurs with frikkin lazors on their heads.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i agree. considering how often i am ordered about by peons, sent out to undertake menial tasks, and that i still have to give my right arm for gear and whatnot... yeah, the rank seems pretty silly.
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Not me, I'm still awaiting my well owed promotion to full admiral! I should be the president of the federation already as well by now! I like being at the top of the command food chain and being my own boss.

Things could arguably make less sense if we weren't admirals, being able to fly anywhere anytime we want without answering to anybody is not as plausible for captains.
    edited December 2013
    Not me, I'm still awaiting my well owed promotion to full admiral! I should be the president of the federation already as well by now! I like being at the top of the command food chain and being my own boss.

Things could arguably make less sense if we weren't admirals, being able to fly anywhere anytime we want without answering to anybody is not as plausible for captains.
    OR more sense if we actually gave out missions to newbie players......
    edited December 2013
    admirals dil mining and epohh-tagging is any more plausible?
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    orangeitis wrote: »

Certainly food for thought. Now in regards to what I last said, I won't say it's plausible even for full admirals to be going around as they please, but still, I'll say it makes more sense than captains doing so. However, if we were ever allowed to become true members of section 31 in this game, everything we do could just be labeled as "for the security of the federation" truly without answering to anyone mwhehe. No oversight FTW!
  • harveycloneharveyclone Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Kirk was an Admiral so it's not really un-trek,If they can just give us a way of picking a title that the NPC use so they call us captain and not Vice Admiral.All I want is to loose the Vice am not type of captain
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Itd be fine if the added in a mechanic so i can tell my Boffs to access consoles to pregress the mission, even at captain level. I am the Captain they are the peons why do i do all the hard work?
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    orangeitis wrote: »

Cadet, go and destroy that Undine armade which just entered Sol. Off course you will do so flying a standard white gear miranda.

Remember Cadet, this is not a holodeck but real life and you WILL get hurt if you mess up (turn on injuries).

Now go and defend the Federation!
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited December 2013
    questerius wrote: »
    Remember Cadet, this is not a holodeck but real life and you WILL get hurt if you mess up (turn on injuries).

if the server name is anything i say we are on the holodeck playing maybe some training course or something and when you really think about it would explain a lot of thing in this game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited December 2013
    Unfortunately, this will not have any effect on anything where it matters. You are still called Admiral by every NPC and their dog, even by your own boffs. Which makes me cry or scream every time when I am not in a very tolerant mood.

Was there ever a Star Trek show where the hero was an Admiral? No. Why? Because Admirals are administrators, fleet commanders and such. They don't have ships, they have desk jobs and are occasionally passengers on ships. And besides, even a vast organisation like Starfleet could only have a few dozen of those, while captains are plausible as many as there are ships.

Story-wise, in Star Trek they are either mission givers or villains, or in one case a guy who really should be captain instead, and eventually is rewarded with a proper demotion. And what are a among Kirk's last words to Picard? "Don't let them promote you!"

Of course there are a few people who play the game who have little interst in real life miltary organizational structure or Star Trek canon regarding ranks, and they want to be Admiral or whatever. Let them choose a title if they so wish, or make this whole rank-by-level a selectable string, via a drop down menu or something. But being forced to accept the label of "Admiral" in a Star Trek game (!) is just silly.

can you say you know what every admiral is starfleet was what they were doing? nope and you talk about being forced and what you want is for me to be forced to take a demotion because you cant insert captain in tex in your mind

and that old kirk line to me means nothing just some old dude wishing he had not retired and for the record this was his last words Captain Kirk: It was... fun. Oh, my...

and dont use the word silly or i will think you are new to the game ;)

and something for you to sleep on i Admiral giveth you a command i can taketh away command also i can also demote you back to cadet to still want to talk down to a admiral?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited December 2013
    Cadet, go and destroy that Undine armade which just entered Sol. Off course you will do so flying a standard white gear miranda.

Now go and defend the Federation!
    Well I kinda meant that the faces of our captains would appear instead of stock NPCs in existing missions, but that works too! >:3
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Huh, I must not be in the majority then.

Just curious, who exactly appointed you to speak for me?
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
    edited December 2013
    I can tell you about any Admiral I saw on the screen. And I just did. ;)

what was that bigo :) on screen so there for you cant say admiral is here to stay thread like your are like T5 connie just not going to happen so here is what i suggest when you see admiral you picture the word captain and go on your merry way
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited December 2013

Just curious, who exactly appointed you to speak for me?

and very much this^^^^^^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited December 2013
    Well, I speak for myself, obviously. But this topic comes up again and again and again on the forums, independently by many, many people. Because the Admiral issue is just so silly.

look up them thread and you will see its just the same small group that have been doing them for 4 years like T5 connie threads

and there is that word again silly are you new to the game? one could say threads like this is silly why because this is a GAME not real i love to see you tell a admiral what they can and can not do see what happens to you
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Leave my Admiral pips alone, thank you very much. :mad:
    edited December 2013
    Searching the forums will teach you the opposite.

Unless, of course, you believe "Archived Post" is some guy with a weird user name. :P

google is your friend and trust me you will find one not Archived Post
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I do not mind having Cryptic demoting everyone down to Captain, as long as I can keep my VD. (-No, not the disease).
    I'll keep my rank, just in case we can be promoted to Admiral with a fleet, sometime, in a distant future. Maybe. Soon(tm)...
    /Floozy
    edited December 2013
    This game has

- Dinosaurs with laser beams on their heads
    - A dyson sphere chock full of omega particles
    - Borg that are nowhere near close to scary or imposing
    - A KDF/FED war that makes absolutely no sense canonically
    - Classes of starships that never once made an appearance in any canon, anywhere
    - Romulans allied with Klingons (which is... to be blunt... completely and diametrically opposed to the stance portrayed in any appearance in any series or movie)
    - add any other of the nearly endless list of breaks from canon in this game from the series/movies...

and you think a vice admiral commanding a starship (which happens to story wise be a single VA, remember each and every single one of our toons is the storyline's one and only hero) is somehow far fetched?

Methinks someone needs to take a look at where they are.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    edited December 2013
    Yes, stay Admiral. Please, do so. I am fine with that. I wrote that.

Just don't have the game force this silliness on all of us.

you use that word silly and i have to ask are we playing the same game where you can fly the bad guys ship from lockboxes the same one you can have skittles beam boats the same one pets going around every where and not leave pooo on the fooler the same game where sub system target is turned in to ability?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited December 2013

Aren't you the crazy uncle which makes everyone else look good?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited December 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    i love to see you tell a admiral what they can and can not do see what happens to you

it happens every mission lol
    edited December 2013
    Aren't you the crazy uncle which makes everyone else look good?

uh.... wut?
    Gold.jpg
    edited December 2013
    uh.... wut?

Looking at your avatar et all isn't it kind of obvious?
    edited December 2013
    it happens every mission lol

well he wants to be a captain so what i meant was i like to see a captain tell a admiral what they can and cannot do without D good reason i also do mean real life to
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • morchadesmorchades Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I always took it to be a sign of how understaffed Starfleet is. You have a war on, a massive relief operation, the pirates going crazy, the usual weirdness like the Devidians and Q, a push from the civilian leadership to continue exploration, and of course you're still responsible for diplomatic efforts. Oh, and the Undine. And now the Borg are back!

The construction workers are able to build more ships than the enemies can destroy, but its harder to get good officers. So one Admiral stays on the bridge. Then another, then another... And eventually its just common forVice Admiral and below to be battlefield positions. They could have just not promoted, but instead they changed the job description. And they still don't have enough commanders for all the work they have, so in 2409 they just start leaving the senior surviving officer in charge after disasters.

That this is all happening in one year is silly, but I read DC comics during the 90s and 00s so I have a high tolerance for the elastic timeline. (If Kyle was the only Green Lantern for just a year I'll believe any timeline you give me,)