test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Friendly Reminder: The vast majority of players thinks that Admiral ranks are cheesy

Comments

• orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't see what the big deal is with what NPCs call you. You can set your pips to anything between ensign to VA. Hell, the NPCs think you're the only one doing(or have done) whatever the story calls for you to do, when that's obviously not the case, so I wouldn't give much importance to what they call me if I were you.
  • weirdtrekie30weirdtrekie30 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Opps, - wrong post
    Admiral Tuwud - High Commissioner, UFP Peace Corps Sigma Red
    logo%203.jpg?gid=272661&source=asset
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I don't see what the big deal is with what NPCs call you. You can set your pips to anything between ensign to VA. Hell, the NPCs think you're the only one doing(or have done) whatever the story calls for you to do, when that's obviously not the case, so I wouldn't give much importance to what they call me if I were you.

because it dont fit in with their immersion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited December 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    you know why because this is what do you call them thing you play with controller? ah ya a GAME!!!!!!!

There's no need to be so rude. I was just politely stating my opinion
    edited December 2013
    There's no need to be so rude. I was just politely stating my opinion

i am sorry for being rude but this admiral thing is just silly its a game its just PC code that says your a admiral its pixels that shows you as a admiral but some here thinks if they are not called Captain in Tex aka code and pixels its going to be the end of the game for them
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited December 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    i am sorry for being rude but this admiral thing is just silly its a game its just PC code that says your a admiral its pixels that shows you as a admiral but some here thinks if they are not called Captain in Tex aka code and pixels its going to be the end of the game for them

Apology accepted
  • fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I look at this thread and think that the vast majority don't even visit this forum, and that I doubt very much if the OP actually knows what the vast majority may or may not think. ;)

Post your own opinion about things by all means, but please don't claim to be representing any sort of majority.

Regards
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Yep. We all know it, having player captains be of Admiral rank is silly, breaking immersion, un-Trek and stupid on many levels.

If I could just voice one wish about STO, it would be to have my toons stay Captain (Starfleet), Captain or HoD (Klingons), or Commander/Riov (Romulans).

Please.

You assuming Cryptic is abiding strictly by Canon, hate to give you a rude awakening, but canon went out the window the moment the game launched.

It is merely another sci fi game with a Trek label stuck unto it, anything goes.

The best you can do is RP, by that I mean change your titles to Captain, go to the tailor and change your pips to Captain, and remain a Captain via RP means. Star Trek Online DOES NOT REPRESENT the PRIME Star Trek Universe, though its gameplay is based off it.

Whatever rank they want to invent is now fine by me, it is just another game like any other in the MMO aspect of things.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
    edited December 2013
    stark2k wrote: »
    You assuming Cryptic is abiding strictly by Canon, hate to give you a rude awakening, but canon went out the window the moment the game launched.

It is merely another sci fi game with a Trek label stuck unto it, anything goes.

The best you can do is RP, by that I mean change your titles to Captain, go to the tailor and change your pips to Captain, and remain a Captain via RP means. Star Trek Online DOES NOT REPRESENT the PRIME Star Trek Universe, though its gameplay is based off it.

Whatever rank they want to invent is now fine by me, it is just another game like any other in the MMO aspect of things.

sinf sinf i thought it was all real i go cry not you told me it was not real its santa all over again :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    We do need a Rank Selector that uses certain titles as well like Master Chef that determines what the npcs call us. We also need Admiral content like being able to control our unused ships and having them help us in combat and sending the others out of missions similar to duty officer assignments. Right now, there is no difference between a Captain or Admiral.

I find letting the Admirals to command their own ship to be a defense mechanism. If most of the Admirals are flying on their own ship instead of Starfleet HQ, then it is unlikely for some enemy race to attack Starfleet HQ and destroy the entire command structure of Starfleet.
  • o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Speak for yourself, I like my Admiral rank. I've never seen him ordered by lower ranked officers and I pick a chose the missions I want to do, yep sounds like an admiral to me
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
    edited December 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    We do need a Rank Selector that uses certain titles as well like Master Chef that determines what the npcs call us. We also need Admiral content like being able to control our unused ships and having them help us in combat and sending the others out of missions similar to duty officer assignments. Right now, there is no difference between a Captain or Admiral.

and the Dev talked about something like that back in year one but something tells me its easier said than done hek dont take me wrong i like to have something like it as well so NPC call me praetor
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited December 2013
    I find letting the Admirals to command their own ship to be a defense mechanism. If most of the Admirals are flying on their own ship instead of Starfleet HQ, then it is unlikely for some enemy race to attack Starfleet HQ and destroy the entire command structure of Starfleet.

maybe if this was done in DS9 breen never would have made it to earth ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited December 2013
    Make your own Fleet if you are that desparate for an Admiral title - it's not hard.

That would make Captain rank become the default end-game rank - as it should be in a Star Trek game where the heroes are starship commanders.

And might actually have the rank of Admiral mean something. ;)

dont need to already have one and if you are that desperate for some NPC to call you captain do this imagine they did :) i know new thing but its easy to do i assure you it is
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Umm, Klingons and Romulans STARTED OUT as allies in TOS, hell they even traded ships to some degree. Romulans flew D7s on a regular basis in those days, for example.

Hell, it was a significant plot point that the Romulans broke the alliance and betrayed the Klingons, which is what prompted them to ally with the Federation instead in the TNG era.

The Klingon Empire allied with the Romulans and at (some degree of) war with the Federation is not an aberration it is in fact a return to the original status quo.

As I keep pointing out, most of the Klingons we see in TNG outside of Worf's family are still covertly allied with the Romulans and in general we've never seen a Klingon onscreen who is both anti-Federation and anti-Romulan. Every Klingon we see is an ally of one or the other except for Gowron.

Well, and Chang. Chang was working with Federation AND Romulans.

The idea that they're against both mainly boils down to Klingon fans trying to reconcile all the Klingons we see onscreen into one set of views and it's a bit like two blind men trying to describe an elephant.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    gonalius wrote: »
    My take on it, is that its a largely honorary rank we've been granted so that we aren't ordered around by every petty tyrant in Starfleet/The KDF, and free to act in what we perceive to be the best interests of our people. But those who genuinely need our assistance are given permission to contact us requesting our aid.

The thing is... Captains is Star Trek routinely set course for their ship and disobey admirals and command multiple ships.

I think the big issue I've always had has been that missions/quests get assigned from command when that's very rare on the shows.

In general, the shows' "missions" come from colonists or crew members asking the captain to do something or go somewhere.

If they wanted a structure more like the shows, almost none of the missions would come from actual orders. You might get bread crumbs quests as orders like "Patrol the Tau Dewa Sector" but nothing within the sector should really be orders if we're in command of our ship.

Orders in Trek are very broad and the Captain has a HUGE amount of discretion. This is particularly true in Voyager and TOS where central command is very remote but even in TNG, they have very broad assignments that the Captain interprets liberally while the actual detailed assignments come from responses to hails. And the bulk of Sisko's orders in DS9 are "Prepare the Bajorans for entry into the Federation" and "Beat the Dominion." Otherwise, he interprets his mission pretty freely, the bulk of his missions are missions set by Sisko or requests from outside Starfleet he responds to, or Starfleet telling him NOT to do something.

I also think this is one of those points that leads to a shortage of content or less content outside the Federation in STO.

If missions were all set up as civilian requests made of starship captains, all factions could more or less share the same missions with different optionals. The mission actually assigned by a senior officer to a captain really ought to be more rare and more broad.

For example:

Starfleet assigns you to chart anomalies in Tau Dewa. So you go to Tau Dewa. The Starfleet wrapper mission would be based on charting X anomalies while the story missions would be largely issued by civilians you encounter.
    edited December 2013
    Traditionally the "mission" in star trek was was exploration in uncharted sectors of space far from command and basically on their own.

DS9 got away from that by focusing on a space station tho they left options for exploration open with the conveniently located wormhole.

The devs didn't try to focus on exploration in this game.

The devs did add the Genesis system and we all know how well that went. Scan 5 ancient relics from the third dynasty of the Borg.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The devs did add the Genesis system and we all know how well that went. Scan 5 ancient relics from the third dynasty of the Borg.
    I prefer the Gorgan example. :P (yes you CAN encounter Gorgans!)

Anyways.... I have no issue with commanding a starship as an admiral. Riker did it. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    All I want to know is: what happened to the Commodore rank?
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
    edited December 2013
    I prefer the Gorgan example. :P (yes you CAN encounter Gorgans!)

Anyways.... I have no issue with commanding a starship as an admiral. Riker did it. :P

They could have done so much for that mission and it is just scan 5 clouds. Although, I am not sure if it is the Gorgan from TOS, another Gorgan, or another alien species that is similar to Gorgans.
    edited December 2013
    gfreeman98 wrote: »

starfleet ditched it for RALH and RAUH just like the US navy if im right about the navy part
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited December 2013

The Commodore rank has been completely phased out of Star Trek. There are a ton of references to it in TOS and a couple of instances in TNG, but nothing since. There was no Commodores in TNG just Geordi mistaking the rank of a Romulan as Commodore instead of Centurion and some library records listing Commodore in Season 1. So it can be assumed that between TOS and TNG, the Commodore rank was no longer used.
  • kiriseekirisee Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This looks like another "canon" troll post to me.....this is STO....not a TV series...get over it already....oh and btw....kirk WAS an admiral after TOS....so hmm
    "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,276 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think this guy lost this argument even more than the last batch of people since he claimed to be speaking for the majority.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yep. We all know it, having player captains be of Admiral rank is silly, breaking immersion, un-Trek and stupid on many levels.

If I could just voice one wish about STO, it would be to have my toons stay Captain (Starfleet), Captain or HoD (Klingons), or Commander/Riov (Romulans).

Please.

Please go back to playing with Panda Bears in ******** or better yet Star Wars. You are just another whiner that insists the game be changed to accommodate them because they don't like a tiny thing in it. What do you want next? Invincible ships with one shot weapons? How about invisible magic elves that instantly transport you to lollipop land? You are the minority that has no clue about Trek no matter the series. Oh yes in Real Life Admirals follow orders given them by their superiors not only in rank but in time of service and ultimately to the Commander in Chief. Many Admirals have and do command warships in real life. But wait you knew that right? Oh yeah by the way don't even try to argue with that I am a Cold War Navy veteran.
    edited December 2013
    It is such an immersion breaker.

you know what i find sooooooooooooooooooooooooo immersion break in every time i warp in to a box with in a box sorry but that biger than some little captain tex
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    How bout the fact that most of the seasons in this story that STOL has so far takes place in a YEAR.
    Going from cadet to Vice admiral in a year, yeah that's realistic.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Every time someone starts talking about breaking immersion, it breaks my immersion. Gotta go fetch a christmas beer to immerse myself into.
    /Floozy
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I was under the impression that it was just another name for Rear Admiral: Lower Half.
  • donrahdonrah Member Posts: 348
    edited December 2013
    Ranks should be something restricted to fleets. So in your fleet you can go from Ensign to Vice Admiral if you earn it in the eyes of your fleet. In terms of the story, you're just a 1st officer who has been granted his first command by the loss of your captain (it would make more sense canon-wise as well since ranks are granted by merit, not by a point system), granting you a field promotion to captain. The rank system could be replaced with medals that indicate your progress. Earn 50 medals and you're max level. With 50 medals on your record, you'd be considered a legendary captain like Kirk or Picard.
    Go here and show your support for a better Foundry!