test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Friendly Reminder: The vast majority of players thinks that Admiral ranks are cheesy

Comments

• talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Not picking on you but that's not entirely accurate. Just an FYI depending on the size and class of the ship, lower ranking officers can be put in command of a squadron of ships.

For example:

In WWII Medal of Honor recipient Lt. John D. Bulkeley commanded Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron Three.

PT-boat squadrons generally consisted of 12 to 16 boats.

Totally agree. LTs these days can command small ships that do special operations. they take on Navy SEAL rubber boats deploy them then recover them.

Destroyers are commanded by LT commanders and commanders. BUT an admiral would NOT be sitting in the captain's chair. He has what's called a "flag" bridge. Where he has a nice comfy chair where he commands his squadron and the ships captains carry out his orders.

Sorry till admirals really start acting like admirals, we're all captains to me.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Not picking on you but that's not entirely accurate. Just an FYI depending on the size and class of the ship, lower ranking officers can be put in command of a squadron of ships.

For example:

In WWII Medal of Honor recipient Lt. John D. Bulkeley commanded Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron Three.

PT-boat squadrons generally consisted of 12 to 16 boats.

Yeah, that's like the seaborne equivalent of having a lieutenant commander/major in charge of an air group. Not really the same thing as having a non-flag officer command a squadron of capital ships.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited December 2013

I want (full) Admiral and Fleet Admiral titles (and privileges) Commanding a Flotilla and conquering regions!!
  • sjokruhlicasjokruhlica Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If you don't like being called Admiral, call your self Captain. Call yourself Grand Poobah of the Royal Order of Water Buffaloes for all I care. But stop trying to ban something because you don't like it.
  • trenthowelltrenthowell Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Captains fly ships

Admirals fly desks
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Captains fly ships

Admirals fly desks

Tell that to Honor Harrington.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Captains fly ships

Admirals fly desks

Incorrect. There are many Admirals who captain ships. In both real life AND Star Trek. The U.S.S. Constellation in TOS was captained by Commodore (read: Rear Admiral, LH) Decker. Kirk's Rank in the TMP movies was in fact, Admiral. The 4 Pip Admiral and head of Starfleet Operations, the Deskiest of Desk Jobs that he managed to talk his way out of with Admiral Nogura, even though he passed command back to Spock before ST2.

Admiral Ross has already been mentioned, as has Alternate Riker. In addition, the expanded universe novels have several Admirals in charge of starships.

Second, You have to remember all those players and you are playing the same character. And its not the one you made up. You're actually playing Handsome Phaser Guy or T'TRIBBLE. They're the ones actually doing those missions and holding those ranks. Its just something you have to deal with in the medium.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I get sick of people coming onto the forums and saying things like "the majority of players think this" etc.

No. I disagree with this thread entirely. I don't recall ever seeing anybody in game in zone chat or fleet chat EVER say "admiral rank is stupid. I should only be a captain.". If I ever have it was only a troll or 2 in ESD trying to get people into an argument.

And I don't recall there being any other threads similar to this one.

I highly doubt a "majority of players" thinks vice admiral rank is stupid. Most probably don't even care.

If anything, I and probably some others, are still waiting for the long ago mentioned level cap increase with full admiral/general rank.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,173 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Yep. We all know it, having player captains be of Admiral rank is silly, breaking immersion, un-Trek and stupid on many levels.

If I could just voice one wish about STO, it would be to have my toons stay Captain (Starfleet), Captain or HoD (Klingons), or Commander/Riov (Romulans).

Please.

Friendly Reminder: I am not one of the vast majority. Admirals is within keeping to the ST Universe.
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Friendly reminder: 83% of all statistics are made up on the spot. =D

Yes, but 95.7% of forum posters use made up statistics.
  • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited January 2014
    tekehd wrote: »

Friendly Reminder: 99.999999% of forum posters don't know what they say!!!!

Teehee!!!

:P
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Cough. It might be useful for you to read the whole thread. ;)

Tell you what- you show me the slightest trace of evidence that any "vast majority" actually supports you, and I'll think about it. Until then, I can't get past that utterly absurd claim. :P
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    its half believable that your character is just such a natural, and with the current state of the galaxy you made the full rank of captain hyper quickly, but an actual promotion beyond that to admiral is absurd. you need decades of experience to cross that threshold no mater how awesome you are.
  • lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Friendly reminder: 83% of all statistics are made up on the spot. =D

BUT... 73.2% of people asked refuse to believe that statistics are easily manipulated and generally unreliable. :P
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I just love how one player decides he/she has the authority to speak for the 'majority' of players on a site. I don't remember anyone asking if they could speak for me, and I'll wager that there are many others that don't remember giving someone permission to speak for them, either. But, who knows, I may be wrong.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
    edited January 2014
    I just love how one player decides he/she has the authority to speak for the 'majority' of players on a site. I don't remember anyone asking if they could speak for me, and I'll wager that there are many others that don't remember giving someone permission to speak for them, either. But, who knows, I may be wrong.

This seems to be happening a lot lately on the forums. Someone claiming that most, or all, players agree with them about something.

Me thinks this whole thread was to troll us perhaps.
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Friendly Reminder: The vast majority of players thinks that Admiral ranks are cheesy

Friendly Reminder : Taking it upon yourself to speak for the "vast majority" as if you somehow have been choosen above all others to represent us, is arrogant ... and just plain wrong. You obviously don't speak for the vast majority (as evidenced by all the people telling you so on this thread.)
    Yep. We all know it, having player captains be of Admiral rank is silly, breaking immersion, un-Trek and stupid on many levels.

Again, wrong. What we all now know is that YOU find it silly, immersion breaking, etc etc. Once again, you arrogantly take it upon yourself to speak for everyone.

This time though it's "we all" not a "vast majority". So (according to you) we have escalated ... between the thread title and the first sentence, somehow you managed to convince everyone, not just your vast majority.
    If I could just voice one wish about STO, it would be to have my toons stay Captain (Starfleet), Captain or HoD (Klingons), or Commander/Riov (Romulans).

Please.

Ahhh, so we finally see the truth of the matter. "If I could voice just one etc etc."

When telling us YOUR pet peeves, please do not do it in such a way that you are claiming to speak for all of us, since you obviously are not.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Shouldn't that read "Yes, but 95.7% of forum posters are made up statistics"?
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,431 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I've got to check into something before being certain, but I think you can set your personal records such that you will be addressed by any rank you've attained, not just the rank you're at right now. So if it "breaks your immersion" so terribly, it should be possible for someone to address you as "Captain Thus-and-so", rather than the rather cumbersome "Rear Admiral Upper Half Thus-and-so"...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited January 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Shouldn't that read "Yes, but 95.7% of forum posters are made up statistics"?

95.7% of forum posters don't exist. Including me. *activates shroud and slinks away*
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    I've got to check into something before being certain, but I think you can set your personal records such that you will be addressed by any rank you've attained, not just the rank you're at right now. So if it "breaks your immersion" so terribly, it should be possible for someone to address you as "Captain Thus-and-so", rather than the rather cumbersome "Rear Admiral Upper Half Thus-and-so"...

Sadly you cannot. You can however alter your full name and NPC's will formally recognize your last name when addressing you.

i.e. a player named HyperCheesy248, leaving his full name blank, would be referred to as [Rank] HyperCheesy248. However, if he changes his full name to John Quincy Smith, NPC's will refer to him as [Rank] Smith.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I get sick of people coming onto the forums and saying things like "the majority of players think this" etc.

No. I disagree with this thread entirely. I don't recall ever seeing anybody in game in zone chat or fleet chat EVER say "admiral rank is stupid. I should only be a captain.". If I ever have it was only a troll or 2 in ESD trying to get people into an argument.

And I don't recall there being any other threads similar to this one.

I highly doubt a "majority of players" thinks vice admiral rank is stupid. Most probably don't even care.

If anything, I and probably some others, are still waiting for the long ago mentioned level cap increase with full admiral/general rank.

Partly agreed. I have seen many discussions (Zone, and other chat channels) about certain missions being silly for admirals to do. In particular back when New Romulus was new it was fashionable to complain about admirals being treated like menial laborers and gophers. I suspect there's a few forum threads about that subject (my search-fu sucks, I always manage to get only irrelevant results regardless what I search on). But it was definitely not common to hear anyone say **being** an admiral was silly/cheesy that I can recall.

On the other hand, I've yet to hear anyone say they want the level cap to go up until you (except for one troll in a chat channel I frequent who likes to start arguments). I've seen a few people, including myself, express fear it will be an excuse for PWE/Cryptic to make all the gear they paid for to become obsolete, countered by others claiming they'd never do that, or that the uproar would be huge. But most conversation I've seen has been of the "I don't see the big deal, it will happen or not, why bother getting worked up about it until it does" variety.
    edited January 2014
    95.7% of forum posters don't exist. Including me. *activates shroud and slinks away*

84.2% lie about existing.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,431 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    84.2% lie about existing.
    But Dr. House says that everyone lies!

Or was he lying about that?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Well 84.2% lie about existing and the other 15.8% lie about something else.
    edited January 2014

Well, some of the people lie all of the time, and all of the people lie some of the time... but all of the people do not lie all of the time; though they may be lying about that.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    In response to the OP, one of this games earliest design flaws, IMO, was making rank and level synonymous. That said, I'm happy other player's enjoy the Admiralty and any perks they perceive from it.

gfreeman98 wrote: »
    All I want to know is: what happened to the Commodore rank?
    starkaos wrote: »
    The Commodore rank has been completely phased out of Star Trek. There are a ton of references to it in TOS and a couple of instances in TNG, but nothing since. There was no Commodores in TNG just Geordi mistaking the rank of a Romulan as Commodore instead of Centurion and some library records listing Commodore in Season 1. So it can be assumed that between TOS and TNG, the Commodore rank was no longer used.
    That's one interpretation, I suppose. The writer's just didn't use it. Nothing forbid them from doing so.

Actually, DStahl did tell us some time ago *ahem* now archived *ahem* that the title of Commodore would become available to player's through the fleet system. I was hopeful for this each time a new project rolled out during 2013. Perhaps 2014 will be when we finally get the privilege of being Commodores again.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have taken the liberty of counting all the positions voiced in this thread.

Pro Admiral, contra Captain: 25
    Contra Admiral, pro Captain: 20
    And the winner is ....(drums!)
    Didn't say: 30

So, in other words, I was totally, utterly wrong.

You weren't wrong. You weren't right, either. Simple truth of the matter is, forums are NOT a random outtake of the population. Only a small percentage of MMO players are actually active forum members; and typically those replying to threads like this have a vested interest to defend: the neutral ones you simply never hear from.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As I said: You might want to read the thread.

The entire thread is a friendly reminder that your "vast majority" only exists between your own ears. :P