What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fire at Will (Faw) not critting *fixed in 1/30 patch*

Comments

• Options
    gardatgardat Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    No, unfortunately. We're not going to roll it back to a state where it's still not working as intended. We don't "favor" one FaW bug over the other, and find both issues just as "buggy" -- we want to fix it once and for all, and it will take time. I know it's frustrating, I use FaW too on several of my ships that I use daily, but all we're asking right now is for your continued patience so we can do as futurepastnow suggests above -- right, and hopefully for the last time. It's a shame to hear that some players have decided to take a hiatus over this, and I hope they decide to return once we've pushed a resolution live.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Hi Brandon, before I say anything else I want to start by thanking you for your active community involvement.

I log in every few days to DoFF for a few minutes and leave again. There isn't much else to do that isn't bugged and/or completely broken.

I don't regret spending money on this game, not at all - I've had a lot of fun in the past, but if I was new to STO there's no way I'd consider it with all the broken content at the moment.

Please also fix the S8 costume bugs, the romulan costumes broken since S7 launched, the KDF costumes broken for 1.5 years (at last count) and the marauding officer costume lack of customisation bug (since what, game launch?). I'll admit to not even remembering when this was first detected, its been a while.

Then there are the DoFFs that don't work as their tooltips describe (deflector powers come to mind), ongoing graphic bugs (fortunately I'm not affected by these).

I mean I could go on, I don't need to because these would have all been reported umpteen times via the bug reports function. What I would like to see is an official statement of some kind as to why these bugs still exist and what sort of priority has been allocated to resolving them.

Any sort of statement would be appreciated.
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
  • Options
    aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hah, take as long as you want with fixing FAW, take the week, take a month, we know you guys can't Q&A for **** anyway, and PvP is much better without 9/10 people just spamming it mindlessly.

Carry on. Take a long lunch break to mull over how to fix FAW and break two other parts of the game in a single patch, I'm really in no rush.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • Options
    totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hah, take as long as you want with fixing FAW, take the week, take a month, we know you guys can't Q&A for **** anyway, and PvP is much better without 9/10 people just spamming it mindlessly.

Carry on. Take a long lunch break to mull over how to fix FAW and break two other parts of the game in a single patch, I'm really in no rush.

Lol, you only can fight people who keep one hand behind the back, ha ha ha.

That is how BFAW is bugged.
  • Options
    john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited January 2014

While your at it can you please break Beam Overload and Cannon Rapid fire so it doesn't critical at all either, PVP would be much better without a bunch of cannon boats. Torpedo High Yield could do with some breaking to. End Sarcasm.
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi Captains,

Work towards a resolution continues, but there will not be one available in tomorrow's patch. As many of you know, there is an interesting history with FaW in STO, and we plan on continuing to investigate the reason why bugs with it occur. We are not currently planning to push a resolution for any issues related to FaW until we're confident that we've tracked down the underlying issue and have a permanent solution in place. I don't have a current ETA for this. We will continue to keep you in the loop as we have more information related to FaW to share, but know it's not forgotten.

Thanks for your patience, and we apologize for the inconvenience experienced by our players who use this power.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

So this mean it will take you some years..
  • Options
    totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    After next patch crits and all procs also bugged on CSV and CRF?
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm not understanding what could be so hard, about programming a skill that should in every way mimic the regular beam attacks, only telling it to choose multiple targets at random.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    cyberdeath666cyberdeath666 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ok just seen the patch notes for today and known issues it's got (Fire at Will still does not Crit.)

So as a known issue dose this mean it will get fixed with the patch?

Soz if some find this a silly Q & A but I've just got up and my brain really won't kick in to life till I've had some coffee and food lol Ty all
    [SIGPIC]AhhLvG.jpg
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    tribble patch notes mention that it was or still could be an issue post 7th jan. but if it was fixed it would of been mentioned there since any patches coming to holodeck go through tribble first. i dont think it is going to be fixed for this one, perhaps next week when the winter event comes down.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    tribble patch notes mention that it was or still could be an issue post 7th jan. but if it was fixed it would of been mentioned there since any patches coming to holodeck go through tribble first. i dont think it is going to be fixed for this one, perhaps next week when the winter event comes down.

Yeah I see the tribble patch notes well if not faw fix for this weeks then maybe next week ty
    [SIGPIC]AhhLvG.jpg
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm not understanding what could be so hard, about programming a skill that should in every way mimic the regular beam attacks, only telling it to choose multiple targets at random.

Im also a pc programmer and i also cant understand it.

The only thing i can understand is they prefer to focus efforts on things that reports em benefits, thats all. Its the only explanation. Because i cant believe a company like cryptic have so many useless workers, i just cant. Like all the other bugs, it is just an x-file. Anyways, they dont have reasons to fixing it, so, im just avoiding to have FAW in my skill tree lol. I recommend u guys to do the same, since this is probably will take ages to be fixed, if it is in the end.

Sometimes i wonder how it is possible that workers like that could design a game like STO, i dont think they are skillez enough. The weird thing is, they made a great game, but after that they dont have any clue on how to maintain it. I dont understand, i really dont lol. Well, actually i know perfectly what is happening, but it is a waste of time to explain it again and again and again , since there are a lot of players that dont care as well if we play a game with 80% of the content bugged, so this will never change, unfortunately. I cant believe people are not regreting paying for playing this game, that is the MAIN problem. And this situation will never change if that doesnt change. But people are blind..
  • Options
    empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Im also a pc programmer and i also cant understand it.

The only thing i can understand is they prefer to focus efforts on things that reports em benefits, thats all. Its the only explanation. Because i cant believe a company like cryptic have so many useless workers, i just cant. Like all the other bugs, it is just an x-file. Anyways, they dont have reasons to fixing it, so, im just avoiding to have FAW in my skill tree lol. I recommend u guys to do the same, since this is probably will take ages to be fixed, if it is in the end.

Sometimes i wonder how it is possible that workers like that could design a game like STO, i dont think they are skillez enough. The weird thing is, they made a great game, but after that they dont have any clue on how to maintain it. I dont understand, i really dont lol. Well, actually i know perfectly what is happening, but it is a waste of time to explain it again and again and again , since there are a lot of players that dont care as well if we play a game with 80% of the content bugged, so this will never change, unfortunately. I cant believe people are not regreting paying for playing this game, that is the MAIN problem. And this situation will never change if that doesnt change. But people are blind..

I actually just visited their studio and saw first hand what they do to fix 'bugs'. It is intentional. They have an entire room dedicated to messing with certain game mechanics to anger the PvP people. You should have seen the party they had celebrating the success of faw. The QAs job IS to break things. Is astonishes me how many people theyvhave lterally doing nothing. I was even allowed to swim in the money bath tub from people that put miney into the game.

In all seriousness if some ofbyou think itbis easy to fix then fix it. I can only imagine how many files and lines of code interacting with eachother have caused this problem.
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • Options
    thenoobcamperthenoobcamper Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Server is still down, would the patch not be active after the server comes back up again?
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It has not been fixed, this patch does not carry a fix and there is no ETA on a fix.

This is what Branflakes has posted regarding the matter
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    starke1701starke1701 Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited January 2014

A "known issue" is one that the developers know of, but have not yet fixed. This could be because the solution is in development, because they are still attempting to identify the cause, because it can't be dealt with at this time, or some other reason.

According to Brandon, they are trying to find the cause of this, and may need to substantially rework the FAW code to make it happen.
  • Options
    redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ok just seen the patch notes for today and known issues it's got (Fire at Will still does not Crit.)

Soz if some find this a silly Q & A but I've just got up and my brain really won't kick in to life till I've had some coffee and food lol Ty all

I say don't fix it! Maybe then people will stop saying "Max DPS means spaming FAW and only FAW!"
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    People leaving the game over a power not having critical hits? I think my brain will explode if I try to understand that.....
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    chemist6lpchemist6lp Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    It has not been fixed, this patch does not carry a fix and there is no ETA on a fix.

This is what Branflakes has posted regarding the matter

Good.

/10char
    Science for the win. / Czechoslovak Fleet 1st Division
  • Options
    scoustarscoustar Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    People leaving the game over a power not having critical hits? I think my brain will explode if I try to understand that.....

I can sort of understand where they would be coming from.

Take this as an extreme example:
    Player joins his first privately-queued Elite STF.
    Player watches as previously tough targets vaporize before his very eyes
    Player asks in Team how on earth everyone does THAT?!?!?
    A teammate responds "get faw dem and a marion in your cruiser" ***
    Player buys 5000 Zen, a cruiser (or set thereof), a rack of elite fleet weapons, engines, deflector, shield, warp core, Marion, AP doffs, crit consoles, boffs, etc
    Game updates
    Player logs in to find his new fawspamsupership is not, in fact, a fawspamsupership
    Player rage quits
    Player decides 3 weeks later, having calmed down and realised that STO is still a good, well-developed game, that he should give it another chance
    Player logs in
    Player reads patch notes "Faw still doesn't crit"
    Player comes to forums and reads "we can't fix faw, we haven't got a clue how"
    Player rage quits all over again

Now, do we blame the Player? Or blame the goblins at Cryptic for playing with things they should not wot of and not understanding what they built in the first place?

I sympathise with players when game mechanics are changed by people who are simply under-skilled or too poorly trained and result in losses directly to their pocket, or even just playing style. Everyone has a different definition of fun, so for those whose definition is "FAW spamming for max DPS" I can only sympathise.

***Yes, I know there are many other ways, but this way is decidedly expensive and simple
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Is the same problem again and again. We reached this situation because cryptic is doing nothing to fix bugs since ages ago and the bugs keep growing in quantity. Meanwhile, ctyptic keeps launching new content and new zones, this implies of course, more bugs, bugs that will not be solved. U get the idea?? after 4 years, the game is so full of bugs, that sometimes its almost unplayable. Trust me its really EASY to fix most of the bugs, other thing is the team supossed to do it is doing nothing or they just dont have enough skills. Cryptic should have hired the wrong people.

Of course, once u have thousands of lines of code, its harder, but it is their job god dammit, and fixing a bug like this should take no more than 2 days. I just cant believe people keep making "excuses" for the cryptic behaviour. Even some of u guys just started paying subs and there always word to "justify" the payment you are doing lol. So terrible sad.

Any decent company will solve bugs BEFORE any new content. Thats a priority, but not for cryptic, and thats the main source of all the problems. And me, being a pc programmer i can say, there is a point at where its just literally impossible to solve the bugs, because the code is so damn messed up. This is what is happening, and im afraid (i hope im wrong) STO will not last more than this year or the next. Not if cryptic stop abusing the customers and focus on fixing the game , forgetting all about making new content.
  • Options
    killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's bad enough that cirticial hits are in a part of the game where computer aimed directed energy weapons are firing at shielded enemies in space, before even considering how completely runway the feature has become considering how scarce and neglected its counter-abilities are. It just escapes me as to how people think an activatable ability should even have the ability to crit. You activate something for +X dmg, not +X^???? damage. Spoiled playerbase is spoiled.

Also, no sympathy for anyone who experienced something similar to the post above this. That lack of foresight, bandwagon style of thinking, and preference to use hueristics around other people's builds instead of learning the game and figuring out your own build deserves any disenfranchisement it gets. More diversity, less cookie cutter.
  • Options
    falkor2010falkor2010 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Any decent company will solve bugs BEFORE any new content. Thats a priority, but not for cryptic, and thats the main source of all the problems. And me, being a pc programmer i can say, there is a point at where its just literally impossible to solve the bugs, because the code is so damn messed up. This is what is happening, and im afraid (i hope im wrong) STO will not last more than this year or the next. Not if cryptic stop abusing the customers and focus on fixing the game , forgetting all about making new content.

Lead software engineer. I agree 100%. The term we use for this is 'technical debt', when it is not dealt with (or 'repaid') it gets worse as time goes by; the interest on your technical debt accumulates, and thus the debt becomes larger and larger until it is unbearable.

Technical debt as bad as STO almost always comes from poor management. This includes management not hiring and/or retaining good talent. Ignoring years of familiarity with a codebase (domain expertise) and thinking all programmers are just interchangeable widget fixers on an assembly line. Not hiring enough engineers for the work required, overworking said engineers. Management who think poor quality software is the norm, or who are just yes-men to upper-management (ladder climbers) and don't want to rock the boat by saying their product is faulty and needs serious help. The list goes on and on.... I wouldn't be surprised if all of the above apply at Cryptic; especially from what I've seen of their company rating on Glassdoor
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited January 2014
    Retire your beam cruisers and use cannon cruisers likethe Mogh and Avenger

The crits from DHCs work great
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    redheadguy wrote: »
    I say don't fix it! Maybe then people will stop saying "Max DPS means spaming FAW and only FAW!"

well ive not seen anyone say that ever so not sure who your talking with and i can still hit over 20k dps without crits but id like the crits as its fun to see just how i high i can get my dps.

p.s not sure why this was moved as it was not a bug report more a Q & A asking if a (known issues was on the fix list for this patch)
    [SIGPIC]AhhLvG.jpg
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2014
    While I do agree with some of the comments in this thread stating that devs should take some time to concentrate on squashing bugs instead of pushing out more content all the time, I don't agree you should all be screaming at them because of this bug because it comes down to really old mechanics. Some of the code for this game is 4-6 years old so it's hard to go back and fix mechanics that are as old as the game itself. I just hope someone left comments in the code, specially if they use C.

So to those complaining, your a2b FAW spamming builds still push out plenty of damage without the crits. So you've had to deal less of it for some weeks, it's not the end of the world. You can still breeze through most of the game without it.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    While I do agree with some of the comments in this thread stating that devs should take some time to concentrate on squashing bugs instead of pushing out more content all the time, I don't agree you should all be screaming at them because of this bug because it comes down to really old mechanics. Some of the code for this game is 4-6 years old so it's hard to go back and fix mechanics that are as old as the game itself. I just hope someone left comments in the code, specially if they use C.

So to those complaining, your a2b FAW spamming builds still push out plenty of damage without the crits. So you've had to deal less of it for some weeks, it's not the end of the world. You can still breeze through most of the game without it.

I agree that the basics of a good programmer, one of em is to document every part of code, and that should be a must in first place, in a always-evolving videogame. But in this case, the code that derives the faw fail should not be so extensive that it is impossible to understand / fix. It is just doesnt make any sense. But we are missing something here, we are not talking only about FAW anymore, since this is happening (almost that is what it seems) with every bug of the game..

Its like the devs just cant find the code associated to any bug, because i could understand that sometimes it takes time to solve some bugs, sure, but seriously , months?? even years in some cases?? again, it doesnt make any sense. Im afraid the bugs that are not being solved (well, almost all of em) its because there is no code available of em LOL. The devs just cant find it.. (i dont see any other explanation, seriously).
  • Options
    thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    color me sad :(

Are we going to have to wait till Next Thursday for this fix? or longer?

Think they could get a hot fix out sooner than that?
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    edit: discard previous due to merge with this thread.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    We are not currently planning to push a resolution for any issues related to FaW until we're confident that we've tracked down the underlying issue and have a permanent solution in place.

So based on various other issues and how they've been handled, we can reasonably expect a tentative fix early in 2015?

-facepalm-

Back to watching the forums to see when to bother playing again. (Hopefully before ARC becomes mandatory and makes it a complete non-issue...but I've learned not to hold my breath.)
This discussion has been closed.