test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[11/21/13 Patch] Graphics issues *Resolved!*

Comments

• myulnirmyulnir Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    the only graphics issue I had prior to the patch today(21NOV2013) was while in the Sphere it all got a bit laggy, but that's understandable. The first thing I noticed after today's patch was this :: http://imgur.com/RMuLhLs :: if you can't tell that is a Sector Space screen-shot(occurs on the ground as well), it seems to clear up everytime I open a new window ie. inventory/character/options...When I checked my video option in-game they looked about the same as they had every other time I had looked at them. I have it all set to run as low as possible while still giving me SOME game detail. I appreciate any and all help, and thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Edit::Turning the frame-rate limiting off helped for a short amount of time, then the problem came back. As for anti-aliasing/post-processing both of those options are greyed out for me, so I can't set/adjust them to anything.

System and graphic card specs :: Toshiba Satellite/Win7/Intel-Integrated Graphics
    The map(s) you were on :: All of them seem to be affected to some degree
    Reproduction steps :: Just about anything causes it got 'Tango-Uniform'
    Including :: Panning the camera/Sitting still/Changing maps
    How you made it occur :: Wasn't trying to make it occur, it just happens
    How you made it stop occurring (if you did - make sure to see the yellow text at the top of the forum for a possible workaround) :: Opening a UI Window(inventory/options/doffs/character)
    And how you made it occur again :: Still randomly occurs, slight variation on time between occurances. Closing the 'Options' window seems to jumpstart the drug-induced stupor of the graphics...

Hope that helps, and thank you again for your time and consideration.

Edit::Somebody said something about camera direction affecting to as well, for me the only 'safe' direction seems do be anywhere in the 'South-East' to 'South-West' direction, anything other than that causes my graphics to throw up all over themselves...as a side note, leaving the camera looking in a 'Safe' direction for an indeterminate time(for me it was a few mins, might be different for others) then rotating it seems to help a bit, I was able to get a full 360 rotation without any hiccups from the graphics...

Edit::Ok, just changed sector locations...went from Psi Velorum to Tau Dewa, my 'safe' direction changed from 'SE-SW' to 'SW-NW'. It seems like any map change would result in a subsequent change of factors in the graphics issue. Thank you for your time and consideration.
  • softtop97softtop97 Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I Posted -- http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=13617571&postcount=1

And in after some commented i posted...

Everything works Smooth and easy with no lag, when im in Solanae Dyson sphere, The Breech, Battle zone & Dyson sphere exchange area - which is really nice being its my first time there.

But i will look over the other options and other tread that you pointed out.

My DX was updated to newest that XP can handle... :eek:
  • tpolebreakertpolebreaker Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Reposting from another thread..

Not sure if it's the same, but I may be seeing something similar. It's my spare computer, older hardware, but ran STO fine before today's patch. (q6600, ancient nvidia 6600gt (285.62, last drivers that work), win7 64bit) (any zone)

Occasionally now when moving around, the 3-d part of the screen will go into a sort of repeating echo, the scene kind of overlapping itself repeatedly. This happens in both different dx9 modes (restarting on changing.) Pressing escape to bring up the system menu makes the effect go away, resetting the view.

I cant figure out how to make it happen consistently, but seems to be related to strafing movements or objects moving across the screen, rather than forward/back.

http://i.imgur.com/PqVFOML.jpg

This is not a connectivity issue. Happens only on the one computer, not the other, and didnt happen before today's patch.

*edit day later*
    Tried turning on post processing as others suggested. It seems to have worked in preventing the trippy mirroring (at the expense of framerate.)

Not really a fix, but better than nothing.
    For me manually switching from DX9 to DX11 made the issue go away, on the system below.

DX9 was the Auto-choice the game made when installing.

[Display]
    Operating System: Windows 8, 64-bit
    DirectX version: 11.0
    GPU processor: GeForce GT 640M
    Driver version: 320.49
    Direct3D API version: 11.1
    Dedicated video memory: 2048 MB DDR3
    Video BIOS version: 80.07.40.00.18
    IRQ: 16
    Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen3
    Device ID: 10DE 0FD2 06481025
    Part Number: 1303 0020
  • midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I am having the same issue.

I am running Windows 7 and the NVidia GeForce 9800M GT, driver version 306.97.
    Direct X support: 10, DirectX runtime version 11.

I've tried changing the video settings to low and from DirectX 9 to 11 and to 9ex.

I restarted using the DirectX 11 setting - also had a small launcher update - all is working again for me.
  • matchstick606matchstick606 Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    so im not the only one huh........ had this bug to once patched. i did try the DX11 but it still didn't help.

wowcrazy_zpsbab6566c.png
  • softtop97softtop97 Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This worked for me i turned on and back off just to check.

Ok -- Video in options tab, down to performance and make sure to click tab Antialiasing to Msaa :D

I had the same looking pictures as the above and found this work as soon as i went back to desk top.
  • dukedom01dukedom01 Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    • System and graphic card specs: Win 7 Home Premium - AMD Phenom II x4 965 - Geforce GTX 550 Ti - 314.44 & 331.82 nvidia drivers
    • The map(s) you were on: Federation Fleet Alert / Rolor Nebula Sector Space
    • Reproduction steps
      • Including:
        • How you made it occur: Happened on its own after today's patch. My graphics settings are usually on minimum.
        • How you made it stop occurring: Opening an additional UI window (i.e. the bug report one) made it disappear temporarily. Closing the window and rotating the camera quickly brought it back. Enabling post-processing was a more permanent solution.
        • And how you made it occur again: Turn post-processing off DOH!
    Ceterum censeo Otha supplendum in praemiis.
  • ethoirethoir Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I had it happen in the Sirius Sector Block several times. When it happened it usually ended up looking like this : http://bit.ly/1aPSSrN

It tended to happen after playing for about 30 minutes, changing maps a few times from ground to space to ground as I flew about doing mission replays with some friends. The only fix I noticed so far (besides today's mention of post processing) was to just close and restart the client which worked for about another 30 minutes before it would happen again. I was running Catalyst Control Center 13.4 at the time. It still happens under 13.9 so its not a driver issue I think.

I run STO on this set of hardware:
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 @ 3.7 GHz
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm HDD
    650W Visiontek Dual-Rail PSU
    Asus M4A88T-V EVO USB3 Motherboard
    XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video Card
    Acer Monitor (1920x1080 max resolution)
    Windows 7 32-Bit
    3.25 GB RAM (8 GB max. Slowly Preparing to upgrade to 64-Bit Windows 7)

Graphics specs in game are:
    Direct3d 9 #1
    Windowed Display Mode
    Refresh Rate - (greyed out. My monitor's refresh rate of 60 Hz)
    Brightness - 140%
    Aspect Ratio - Auto
    Monitor Vsynch - On
    Half Resolution - Off
    Antialiasing - MSAA
    Antialiasing Quality - 4x
    Dynamic Lighting - Off
    Lighting Quality - High
    Shadows - High
    Max Lights per Object - 3
    Max Shadowed Lights - 3
    Texture Anisotropic Filtering - 4x
    World Texture Detail - 100%
    Character Texture Quality - 100%
    World Detail Distance - 100%
    Terrain Detail Distance - 100%
    Character Detail Distance - 150%
    Show High Detail Objects - On
    Max Physics Debris Objects - 100
    Raise Settings in Character Creator - On
    Post Processing - On
    Visual FX Quality - High
    Soft Particles - On
    Bloom Quality - High
    Bloom Intensity - 30%
    Screen-space Ambient Occlusion - On
    Cinematic Focus (DoF) - Off
    Underwater View - On
    Reflection Quality - High
    Lens Flare Quality - Low
    Framerate Stabilizer - On
    Auto-stabilize Framerate - Off
    Limit CPU Usage When Inactive - Off
    Multi-Core Rendering - On
    Use Full-detail Character Animations - On
    GPU-Accelerated Particles - On
    Reduced File Streaming - On
    Software Cursor - Off
    Minimum Shadow Buffer Bias - Off
    Reduce CPU/GPU Usage - Off
    Limit Frame Rate - Off
    Video Memeory Limit - 1024+ MB

My Catalyst Control Center is set to let the program decide the settings pretty much.

I also sent in a ticket with PWE a couple of days ago because Branflakes asked me to but they aren't in control of this kind of thing. They'd only be able to relay it to Cryptic I think.

EDIT: Happened again just now when loading into "The Breech (Elite)". Square colored blocks flying everywhere, the city ship is pulsing like a signal beacon... And so on. I enabled Post Processing mid-mission and finished it as-is (but it was hard to see where I was going). Loaded back to Sector Space and things seemed normalized barring a couple of ships and the glow around suns. Loaded Sol System and it appears to have fixed itself so far. So if it shows up, turn on Post Processing, finish your run if you are in a PvE queue map, and then change maps a couple of times to clear it up?

Edit X2: Wait, I take that back. it only partially fixes it. Some things still show up acid tripping after a short time and you have to keep changing instances or zones to fix it.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Video Card: GeForce GT630 (current driver).

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • theonetruetomtheonetruetom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm having similar issues on a Craptel Crapstreme Craphics 4000 Crapbile. (Intel integrated 4000 series mobile). I run low detail settings, and performance rather than quality. It's happening in space and on the ground. It started in the most recent patch.

Edit: In a similar vein, ever since S8 dropped, my Jem'Hadar officers look like they got in a fight; their eyes are all scrunched up, there's bruises on the left side of their face, and the right side is completely covered in what looks like blood. All my female captains in Mirror TOS uniforms look like the victim of spouse abuse (to the point that my Bajoran Tac captain's right elbow appears to be one giant bruise). Is anyone else having this issue?

Edit: Here's one example, including the Bajoran spousal abuse scandal. http://www.flickr.com/photos/39954832@N08/10986105114/

And here's a sector space example, by the Nopada system: http://www.flickr.com/photos/39954832@N08/10986312366/
  • mainmarine20mainmarine20 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I am having much of the same problems everyone else has posted about.

Laptop, Intel i5-2450M, Intel HD 3000 Integrated, 6GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Seagate 5200 RPM laptop hard drive.

It occurred outside of ESD.

It would happen when I moved the camera around with my mouse. I could stop it from happening by moving the camera again but when I did it would come back again after moving camera once again.

Here is a picture: http://i.imgur.com/sSrgDMu.jpg
  • jaster3jaster3 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    pwe really needs to fix this it is annoying
  • rallimaxrallimax Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I am experiencing the same effects. Here's my setup. I have to run an older ATI driver due to system lockups. Up till season 8 my Alienware M17-R1 has run this game flawlessly. Today's patch changed that.

System Information
    Time of this report: 11/21/2013, 17:06:50
    Machine name: SYLON-PC
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: alienware
    System Model: Alienware M17
    BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBL;
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 4090MB RAM
    Page File: 1640MB used, 6539MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

DxDiag Notes
    Display Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
    Input Tab: No problems found.

DirectX Debug Levels
    Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
    DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

Display Devices
    Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870 X2
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: ATI display adapter CrossFire Secondary (0x9509)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9509&SUBSYS_207A161F&REV_00
    Display Memory: 2800 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1010 MB
    Shared Memory: 1789 MB
    Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (61Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: unknown
    Monitor Id: LPL0000
    Native Mode: 1440 x 900(p) (60.824Hz)
    Output Type: Internal
    Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
    Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1041 (English)
    Driver Version: 8.762.0.0
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    I'm running my Rom, Subcommander Tovan Khev (captain of the RRW Tovan Khev IV, and whose BOffs are all named variants on "Tovan Khev") through Nimbus III

Your ship is crewed by an army of Tovan clones?
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • russellcarussellca Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ethoir wrote: »
    I had it happen in the Sirius Sector Block several times. When it happened it usually ended up looking like this : http://bit.ly/1aPSSrN
    It tended to happen after playing for about 30 minutes, changing maps a few times from ground to space to ground as I flew about doing mission replays with some friends?..

Based on the description of the delayed onset of problems and the screenshot showing single clearly defined ship track markers; you appear to be suffering more from the selective, missing textures & icons bug (disappearing over gameplay time & map changes), rather than the screen-wide smearing/stuttering effect. Or failing that, unlucky enough to be treated to both!

The former predates the latest patch, having been reported since S8 launch and restarting does indeed only provide temporary relief. The experiences of users in this thread may also be of interest.
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=913941
  • karakbakarakba Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ASUS G73Jh, i7 CPU @ 1.60GHZ 6GB, win 7 64bit
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 driver v8.683.0.0

In sector space, it happens and will go away for a moment if you open a window such as duty assignments or inventory.
  • whufc190whufc190 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Works perfetly as long as i leave inventory open.. strange
  • garakfan84garakfan84 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Had it happen to me too in the mission "Everything Old is New" and here is an example: http://postimg.org/image/46r272ukx/

I noticed it did those kind of effects before I interacted with objects and sometimes after. Not so much when I interacted with NPCs but, had it happen after combat.

After the mission, on Drozana Station, there were some minor effects like those with other players and with my character too. It seems to be random for me.

Haven't checked much or been around other places to give more information.

---
    System Information:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.9GHz
    3070MB RAM

Display Devices:
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dukedom01 wrote: »
    A Picture says more than thousand words:

Example

I am running a GeForce GTX 550 Ti on win7.

Driver Version 314.22

edit: updating to current drivers 331.sth did not make a difference.
    I see what is wrong there, it is pretty obvious...

you have WAY too many chat tabs configured for the game engine to handle.

XD

-- Smoov
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Figured it out.

Go into the game directory, look for Suck.cfg. Open it with notepad, and look for MAKE_GAME_SUCK and set it to [off]. Just past that is SEASON_8_CRASH@STARTUP. Set that to [off]. And finally there should be just below that LOLGRAPHICSLOL. Set that to [off] as well.

Game has been much better since I did all that.
  • jkwrangler2010jkwrangler2010 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This fixed it for me.

Options>Video>Video Card [Change video card from Directx9 to Directx11] Directx11.
  • chaoscloud#1972 chaoscloud Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Turning on postprocessing effects in the game options video tab menu help solve the trippy graphics problem for me! :)
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    prissycox wrote: »
    Turning on postprocessing effects in the game options video tab menu help solve the trippy graphics problem for me! :)

Mine doesn't get quite that bad for awhile, but it does tend to happen and postprocessing has always been on for me. :(
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• garakfan84garakfan84 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    Figured it out.

Go into the game directory, look for Suck.cfg. Open it with notepad, and look for MAKE_GAME_SUCK and set it to [off]. Just past that is SEASON_8_CRASH@STARTUP. Set that to [off]. And finally there should be just below that LOLGRAPHICSLOL. Set that to [off] as well.

Game has been much better since I did all that.

Simply GENIUS! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thedodgehopperthedodgehopper Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Definitely having the same issue. I was freaking out at first because I thought my graphics card was dying.
  • astlorastlor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options --> Video --> Advanced --> Troubleshooting --> Limit Frame Rate

Turning this off fixed the issue for me. Hope that helps someone...
  • toastertimtoastertim Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Likely a per person fix (in reference to above post): I've always had a 60fps cap on this computer, but im still having the issue...feels like merging with another universe, dang it iconian gateway...lol!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16BqdTZqU55ImJNdrlqVnRc___NNR6MXfc4n-9ztflcU/edit?usp=sharing

Running brand new i5-4670 with intel HD Graphics 4600 on Win7 HP SP1
  • astlorastlor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    @Toastertim actually, I was suggesting turning of any limiting of your FPS. No vsync, no frame rate limiting, none of it. On both an ATI system and an Intel system this fixed the issue. :/
  • draconian2013draconian2013 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hi, I am hoping this is an ok place to post this. If not, I can move it elsewhere. But since the downtime today, my game play has been messing up. The graphics get SUPER bright and glitches up. The stars turn into streaks as I move the screen around. And it's only Star Trek that does this. I have a screenshot but can't post it. Anyone else having this problem?
This discussion has been closed.