test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: The Voth

12346»

Comments

• freezy321freezy321 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    you are free to hate the voth and to think that they should have done something else, but you are one person, with one viewpoint.

Adding my voice to the nay-sayers.

The voth had millions of years to perfect their tech, it's very unlikely that any of the younger races have been able to catch up within the last few decades.

Even if voyager was like Mk VII and we are now at MK XII, the Voth would still be at least MK TRIBBLE

It would not sit wel with canon if we ever get to even blow one voth ship up, without it being a crystaline entity situation.

Also dino's with lasors is not star trek at all, unless they made it a Q based storyline, then everything they come up with and the bipolar artificial intelligent kitchen sink would be fine.

I just hope they take the Star Trek universe serious and make something that fits.
    Instead of giving that "lets make it fun" guy ruining the game with marshmellow torpedo's (again, would still be fun if it is Q related).
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    freezy321 wrote: »
    I just hope they take the Star Trek universe serious and make something that fits.
    Within various Star Trek series there are as many lighthearted moments as there are intense dramatic moments. Part of the appeal of the series is that it caters to a wide range of story types. You have story moments ranging from 'there are 4 lights' intense drama to virtually every Q episode being intentionally funny. There is nothing wrong with the game emulating that.

But I would ask you, what in the game is not already serious? This game is serious to the point of being maudlin. It really needs more light moments just to break up all the death, destruction, and doom and gloom which prevales in this game.

Personally I do not find dinosaur combat pets for voth to be any more untrek then targ combat pets, horta combat pets, mugatu combat pets, and all the rest. Of course the voth are going to have combat pets which make sense to their species.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    freezy321 wrote: »
    Adding my voice to the nay-sayers.

The voth had millions of years to perfect their tech, it's very unlikely that any of the younger races have been able to catch up within the last few decades.

Even if voyager was like Mk VII and we are now at MK XII, the Voth would still be at least MK TRIBBLE

It would not sit wel with canon if we ever get to even blow one voth ship up, without it being a crystaline entity situation.

Also dino's with lasors is not star trek at all, unless they made it a Q based storyline, then everything they come up with and the bipolar artificial intelligent kitchen sink would be fine.

Instead of giving that "lets make it fun" guy ruining the game with marshmellow torpedo's (again, would still be fun if it is Q related).

Just because a race had millions of years to perfect their technology doesn't mean they are millions of years more advanced than humans. The 26th Century Federation was able to create the Enterprise-J which dwarfs anything the Voth have and the 29th Century Federation is capable of time travel which as far as we know is not possible with the Voth since it might violate their precious Doctrine. So Voth technology might be Mk XV for all we know not Mk TRIBBLE.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    So Voth technology might be Mk XV for all we know not Mk TRIBBLE.

So no Dino Peep shows :(
    GwaoHAD.png
  • vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Recently I have posted a rather sceptical thread on the Voth: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=880051

Reading the last dev-blog http://sto.perfectworld.com/blog/?p=1004711 I also noticed some good things:

- Those Dinos look freaking awesome (even if I'm not a 100% convinced of them)
    - There are hints of a ground combat tactics overhaul. If so that would be really refreshing.
    - In general this update seems to be more ground focused. I believe that's a good addition!

All that's left to hope for is a good story/content to wrap it up with and well implemented gameplay.

I think this upcoming Season will be a big surprise for us and I'm looking forward to it.
  • avantgarde01avantgarde01 Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Devs: Please add this theme music to the game. I want this playing during my first encounter with the Voth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjhJSD8RU4k
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Granted right now, people are going off on how STO "Jumped the Shark" in adding Dinosaurs - with laser beams, or the new grinding nobody wants to do, or the a bunch other stuff that was promised that never see the light of day. But I thought I dedicate this thread to Season 8 Dev Blog #6 - the names used.

Ceratopsid-class Exosuit............. Ceratops.......Triceratops.....

Dacentrus-class Exosuit - Dacentruus species Dinosaur

Are we really resorting to cartoonish naming conventions of the 20th Century? So does this mean we will see Voth names like Allo or Rex in the S8 storyline missions? :rolleyes:

Then we come to the new Dino Troops:

The Bio-Engineered Viriosaurus Rex: Part of me wants to think you were trying turn ZeroniusRex into a dinosaur. However, there is actually a Dinosaur family that uses this term and isn't even close to a Tyrannosaurid. Perhaps Mahesaur (Battle Lizard) or Famuliosaur (Fortress Lizard)?

Bio-Engineered Furiadons: "Fury Tooth", a decent name for a dinosaur. (Furia is Latin for Fury and Don is Greek for Tooth).

Bio-Engineered Dankanasaurs: "Leeping Lizard", actually rather funny name. Dankana = jumping (Hindi) and Saur = lizard (Greek).

Though you really aren't supposed to mix languages just to create names, you keep it either all in Latin or all in Greek. Dankanasaur should be Almasaur and Furiandon be Maniadon? (I think others can provide better greek translations. :P)

Well that aside, I have to wonder...........why in the world is the Voth using human designations? :confused:

Or we are seeing the Federation designations and the universal translator mixed languages? :P
  • saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yes, these are probably the Starfleet Designations (as with most of the Designations in Star Trek) being either aproximate translations or completely made up with the actual Voth designations unknown.
    And even more like "Nicknames" than actual Designations (explaining the Language Mixups).

Real World Explanation: Most likely with Viriosaurus it was a lack of or wrong application of research and with the Language Mixup... you must admit "Dankanasaur" and "Furiadon" sound better than "Almasaur" (FEAR anyone?) or "Maniadon" and are easier on the tongue.
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I suppose we could add Undine to that list. Apparently they do refer to themselves as that, though that might be an obscure reference to the original story for "In The Flesh" which would've indicated that "Species 8472" had previously visited Earth in ancient times, so perhaps we got the name from them.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    When you have T rex with lasers on their head, you don't expect proper names :)

BTW, be lucky they are not called Denver, the last dinosaur.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It seems to be pretty much an homage to Star Fleet Battles where Starfleet uses dino names for Gorn ships. In that universe the Gorn are also aware of this and find it amusing.

I've got to admit that the Voth suits look too much like something the Protoss wear is a whole lot more irritating to me than this homage.