test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: The Voth

Comments

• dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My first Mechlove has always been the Marauder
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • radagast75radagast75 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tlamstrike wrote: »
    The Federation has guns that can shoot though walls, Grenades with a blast radius of a mile, metals that can resist phaser fire, transporters the size of a coin, you would expect them to have some really awesome combat armor. Instead most of their ground forces get a rifle and a red shirt, a few lucky ones get a chrome vest and a fancy helmet. With the amount of firepower even just a hand phaser has, stuff like those Voth Mechs would probably be considered basic armor in the 25th century.

This just proves how illogical can average MMO player are. In the world where shields are standard, they ask for armor which only hinders troops.
    Captain Hunt, at your service!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    So? Just take out that turret...could take out the turret and shove a couple grenades up its backside before then can even make a 180...

Yea... You don't seem to be aware that models in STO only have one hit-box.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i dont think i saw this much hate for space bunny's space wales lava monsters dilithium-lava monsters i mean i could go on but i will end with this Khan's Magic Blood ;)

now that i think about it i should have called this thread hate on the T-Rex if a mod good do that for me ty :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • tejmashkttejmashkt Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    People will hate on anything. I think humans hate things just to hate things. No other reason. Most likely out of boredom.

Also... space bunnies?!
    edited October 2013
    tejmashkt wrote: »
    Also... space bunnies?!

i mean bunnys ty for pointing out i had it spelled wrong :) and talking about this thing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • similonsimilon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I don't hate the Voth, I do however find it odd that they chose the Voth over a more significant/noteworthy race.

I suppose this does give Cryptic more freedom though, so it kinda makes sense...
    I don't think the hate is on the Voth...

It's more the Dinosaurs with Lasers, and whoever had that silly idea.
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Can you say...

"Lane Change... Hang On For The Merge!!!"

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited October 2013
    anazonda wrote: »

see this my thing i dont see it any more silly then combat pets and non combat pets we have in the game all ready but way some talk this going to be the end for sto its doomed!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • lterlter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well's not hate, in my opinion. There somehow feature Voyager with this new race ingame. This race only appeared once and not in one of the best episodes, in my opinion (although im a Voyager 'hater', to be honest...) Anyway, I'm not sure but I think there's another races more characteristics from Voyager. Kazons, for example.

Yeah, they're not a super advanced overpower enemy to smash, like Voth, but maybe that's a part of the problem, over and over, we're about to smashing the next big TRIBBLE enemy. Meh, isnt it?

Or the Occampa. Sure there are occampa haters (im not one of them, I liked in Voyager), or that other ugly sick race, these leprosy guys, I don't remember the name. Instead of a way to grind ad nauseam to adquire more and more warp cores, consoles, weapons, etc. to defeat the next enemy, how about finding in an ancient dyson sphere new ways to help races like that...

New Romulus, which was about helping Rommies, was in fact another grinding for better gear... Always the same ****, very childish direction the game is taking in my opinion.

How about a reputation that do not gives any gear, nor space, nor ground. But instead, giving us some other elements that allow us to unlock new game mechanics not involving bashing borgs/tholians/dinosaurs? Hell, obviously this game has one single mechanic that actually works, and its space combat, yet with all they 'violent' development ideas, hell, do a good PVP, and why not, allow Federation and Klingons to PVP for the control of the Sphere. What a wasted oportunity.

And, at the same time, giving the PVE a real and own gameplay value, a little more depth, gentlemen, that subtle geniality from Star Trek an other games and series that could have you sticked in front of your TV without the characters even leaving the ship or engaging in any combat in the entire duration if the episode.

Meh, Voth, Dainozors with laizers pew pew. It's just dumb.

NOT denying fun, but not more fun than any other space arcade or casual arcade game out there. The difference between a good arcade and STO, though, is that they're meant to be an arcade and they have their own depth in their gameplay mechanics. STO, otherwise, is clumsy and slow-paced, cause that's how RPGs works, and as an RPG, meaning ROLEPLAYING GAME should be developled, with PVP representing the state of war and diplomatic concfict, forced aliances, the Trek of DS9 and certainly parts of Voyager, and PVE being the Trek of the TOS and TNG, the exploration and the moral choices, in my very humble opinion.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,873 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yea... You don't seem to be aware that models in STO only have one hit-box.

Well if we're bringing game mechanics into it then when has anything ever had a weapon then a turret that wasn't dropped on the ground and made a separate target?
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
    edited October 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    see this my thing i dont see it any more silly then combat pets and non combat pets we have in the game all ready but way some talk this going to be the end for sto its doomed!!!!!!

Personally I have 2 problems with them:

1: According to Trek, the Voth are a Species of Dinosaurs that survived the ELE 65 Million years ago, while being at the Animal stage of development (hence acting on instinct), and evolved into what we know them to be from Voyager. I am somewhat fine with that...
    However, the T-Rex and Raptor we saw in the Pictures havn't evolved at all.

Now even though domesticated animals tend to stay mostly the same in human culture, we need to remember that we've only kept animals for a few thousand years (15-20 if memory serves).
    Over the course of 65 Million years, they should look significanly different than what we know from museums.

2: This is what bothers me the most: The Fricking lasers are mounted on the heads of said animals...? That's about the worst place to mount a weapon on a animal with a moveable neck.

On the sides? Sure... On the back? why not... But the head is something you generally have a very hard time controling.
    Even trained military horses and horses for competition tend to move their heads too much to have anything mounted on their heads... thats generally why you don't do it.

I might be able to accept #1 as the Dinos being clones or something like that, but the Lasers on the heads... Im not buying that.
    edited October 2013
    Personally I have 2 problems with them:

1: According to Trek, the Voth are a Species of Dinosaurs that survived the ELE 65 Million years ago, while being at the Animal stage of development (hence acting on instinct), and evolved into what we know them to be from Voyager. I am somewhat fine with that...
    However, the T-Rex and Raptor we saw in the Pictures havn't evolved at all.

Now even though domesticated animals tend to stay mostly the same in human culture, we need to remember that we've only kept animals for a few thousand years (15-20 if memory serves).
    Over the course of 65 Million years, they should look significanly different than what we know from museums.

2: This is what bothers me the most: The Fricking lasers are mounted on the heads of said animals...? That's about the worst place to mount a weapon on a animal with a moveable neck.

On the sides? Sure... On the back? why not... But the head is something you generally have a very hard time controling.
    Even trained military horses and horses for competition tend to move their heads too much to have anything mounted on their heads... thats generally why you don't do it.

I might be able to accept #1 as the Dinos being clones or something like that, but the Lasers on the heads... Im not buying that.

well like all season art its can change but i dont think we need to say its not trek because we get a T-Rex not saying you personally not going to hide it i just want one as a pet dont care if it has frickin lasers or not i just want a T-rex pet :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited October 2013
    Well if we're bringing game mechanics into it then when has anything ever had a weapon then a turret that wasn't dropped on the ground and made a separate target?

A mech is the obvious choice for a new controlable unit like ships...

Making them anything else wouldn make sense.

Player deployed turrets on the other hand are an entirely different thing.
  • tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    radagast75 wrote: »
    This just proves how illogical can average MMO player are. In the world where shields are standard, they ask for armor which only hinders troops.

You are assuming at the armor only functions as armor. You are picking one part system out and not seeing it as a complete weapons system.

More on this after:
    Like I've been saying...it would be easy to flank those things with those basic small arms. Those things aren't going to turn as fast as a humanoid.

Let me take a technique that is used today...laser guidance...but this is the 25th century...we have much more advanced technology and even transporters. So it would be that much easier to paint the target and transport a bomb right between its legs.

I doubt those mechs are gonna make quick getaways...

Ever read Starship Troopers? (Not the movie the actual book I'm talking about)

The power armor in that novel allowed the trooper inside to jump a km with a rocket belt, lob nuclear grenades, and see 360 degrees with advanced sensor systems.

A system like a Mech allows for an infantryman to carry far greater amounts of equipment in to the field, allows them to be equipped with sensors superior to his non-mech foes, allows them to carry countermeasures to weapons and sensors they might encounter, and allows them to march for longer and faster.

A proper mech armor suit is the equivalent of an helicopter gunship with legs.
    (for a reference as to how powerful a helicopter gunship is compared to infantry see link)

An infantryman might be able to carry a weapon that could hurt one, or a defense against one's weapons, or a sensor as good as one aboard it but they will not be able to carry them all at once. A infantryman can carry a personal energy shield but a mech suit can carry an even larger one. Yes an infantryman can carry a Tricorder but a mech suit can carry a sensor system 20 times larger. An infantryman can carry a phaser rifle, a mech suit can carry a phaser bank.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
    edited October 2013
    A mech is the obvious choice for a new controlable unit like ships...

Making them anything else wouldn make sense.

Player deployed turrets on the other hand are an entirely different thing.

But there is no system in game currently that allows weapon deployments that are part of the deployer, like no shoulder mounted rocket launcher for a random example. So if they add that then what makes it impossible for them to make the weapon targetable independently?
    edited October 2013
    well like all season art its can change but i dont think we need to say its not trek because we get a T-Rex not saying you personally not going to hide it i just want one as a pet dont care if it has frickin lasers or not i just want a T-rex pet :)

Just keep the muzzled on...

That said: It might be a game, but I am still here for the Star Trek Expirience... So are alot of other people.. Something some devs and employees at Cryptic/PWE seem incapable of grasping.
    edited October 2013
    You are assuming at the armor only functions as armor. You are picking one part system out and not seeing it as a complete weapons system.

More on this after:

The power armor in that novel allowed the trooper inside to jump a km with a rocket belt, lob nuclear grenades, and see 360 degrees with advanced sensor systems.

A system like a Mech allows for an infantryman to carry far greater amounts of equipment in to the field, allows them to be equipped with sensors superior to his non-mech foes, allows them to carry countermeasures to weapons and sensors they might encounter, and allows them to march for longer and faster.

(for a reference as to how powerful a helicopter gunship is compared to infantry see link)

An infantryman might be able to carry a weapon that could hurt one, or a defense against one's weapons, or a sensor as good as one aboard it but they will not be able to carry them all at once. A infantryman can carry a personal energy shield but a mech suit can carry an even larger one. Yes an infantryman can carry a Tricorder but a mech suit can carry a sensor system 20 times larger. An infantryman can carry a phaser rifle, a mech suit can carry a phaser bank.

Except like I said before...how often have you seen major Star Trek battles in open space? Most battles take place in space...boarding ships or destroying them...care to tell me how one of those bulky battle suits is gonna move through a starship corridor?

just because it has 360 degree sensors doesn't mean it's going to be able to pick up stealthed units...which we have in STO. Unless you're trying to say these things will have 360 degree weaponry(Which I've never seen any kind of mech with). Mechs might be powerful but they're extremely vulnerable in a Star Trek like universe.

Not to mention where there is open space you can just have shuttles or fighters pick off those mobile suits.
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited October 2013

More on this after:

Primitive. By the 29th century I expect the Federation to create something to match a Green Lantern Power Ring. By the 25th it's time for personal tactile forcefield belts that give superstrength and better versions of Spock's rocket boots.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
    edited October 2013
    That said: It might be a game, but I am still here for the Star Trek Expirience... So are alot of other people.. Something some devs and employees at Cryptic/PWE seem incapable of grasping.

i think this something we some times forget when PWE took over think now point me out if im right or wrong on this but there focus is really not me or you but new ppl
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i think this something we some times forget when PWE took over think now point me out if im right or wrong on this but there focus is really not me or you but new ppl

And would most new people be here for Star Trek not just some random game?

Anyone here for just some random game I don't think would stay for a long long time and spend a lot of money on this game.
    edited October 2013
    And would most new people not be here for Star Trek not just some random game?

Anyone here for just some random game I don't think would stay for a long long time and spend a lot of money on this game.

you be surprise not every one plays a game that has 50 something year of history my first final fantasy game was number 10 not played a one before it my first GTA was grand theft auto san Andreas need i go on?

as some are so fond of pointing out to us JJ haters his movies brings in new ppl not ever have seen a EP or movie before it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited October 2013
    you be surprise not every one plays a game that has 50 something year of history my first final fantasy game was number 10 not played a one before it my first GTA was grand theft auto san Andreas need i go on?

as some are so fond of pointing out to us JJ haters his movies brings in new ppl not ever have seen a EP or movie before it

The only reason why this game has lasted as long as it has is because of Star Trek fans. If they turn off all Star Trek fans the game won't last a long time. It just is not good enough to last a long time from non Star Trek fans.

Yes I do think their are non Star Trek fans playing I just can't see them playing for a long time and spending a ton of money on the game. Their best way make money is from actual Star Trek fans.
    edited October 2013
    The only reason why this game has lasted as long as it has is because of Star Trek fans. If they turn off all Star Trek fans the game won't last a long time. It just is not good enough to last a long time from non Star Trek fans.

the only reason it lasted this long is because of F2P not fans now not going to say they didnt help at all! but keep in mid there was not enough fans to keep it a sub game i played wow for 3 years never had played a war-craft game a day in my life ppl dont need to be hard core fans to fall in love with a game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    One of the great advantages of having only a passing knowledge of all things post Kirk is that I am indifferent to this sort of issue and can therefore focus my hate on what Cryptic has done with ship tiers, neglect of the KDF, creation of fractions instead of factions and a complete lack of conflict between the fractional factions.
    edited October 2013
    the only reason it lasted this long is because of F2P not fans now not going to say they didnt help at all! but keep in mid there was not enough fans to keep it a sub game i played wow for 3 years never had played a war-craft game a day in my life ppl dont need to be hard core fans to fall in love with a game

Yes going F2P did help but a lot of F2P people are Star Trek fans I would imagine. I Just can't see non Star Trek fans staying a long time and spending a lot on this game.

True you don't need to be a hard core fan to fall in love with a game but it helps a lot and is the best way to make money. I just don't think this game is good enough for non Star Trek fans to fall in love with it so much.
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Haters gonna hate.

Takes one drop of annoyance to make a tall glass of Hateraide
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • oldkirkfanoldkirkfan Member Posts: 1,263 Arc User
    edited October 2013

That would be Paul Kirchner, when he created Dino-Riders in 1988
  • tejmashkttejmashkt Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i mean bunnys ty for pointing out i had it spelled wrong :) and talking about this thing

I was not pointing out that you spelled it wrong... did not even notice that... Or cared. I was confused about rabbits in space.