test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Come here if you have a Q

Comments

• nathankomarannathankomaran Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    westmetals wrote: »
    Yes. You gain diplomacy ranks (and several other types) via DOFF assignments.

That said, it takes a while to get to rank 3. But you can also replay missions later, so you can come back and redo the mission after you get the rank.

Okay...So what are DOFF assignments? And how do I do those?
  • nopeftwnopeftw Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I was wondering if there's an easier way to target enemies, other than left clicking and cycling through with TAB.
  • redwren89redwren89 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hello,

I have a question about Inelastic Collisions' behaviour in conjunction with the Mogai Shield Absorptive console. Does the Shield trait proc when the Mogai shield console procs?
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    nopeftw wrote: »
    I was wondering if there's an easier way to target enemies, other than left clicking and cycling through with TAB.

I'm not sure any game has invented mind reading based targeting yet. Other than that how can anything be easier than point and click or single key select?

I'm not sure you're asking the question you think you are asking in other words.

People have created custom keybinds/macros for changing the way tab works to select only enemies in a specific arc or whatever. And in the options menu you can change it to a few presets, like closest enemy etc.

Or if you find the tab key location on your keyboard to be the not easy part, then you can change which key is used.

Other than that... I guess convince emotiv to make a headset for sto?
  • galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hello,
    Is there a way to lock the camera so it always stays behind your ship and moves with you?
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • gsdmangsdman Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I've opened more than 15 Xindi lockboxes and all I get are R&D items or experience pools. Is there something I need to do to get a ship or bridge officer?
  • belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    gsdman wrote: »
    I've opened more than 15 Xindi lockboxes and all I get are R&D items or experience pools. Is there something I need to do to get a ship or bridge officer?

Yes .. Open more .. Each item has a drop rate and is randomly given at that rate, the more desirable the item is the less chance there is of it dropping.
  • theholydrunktheholydrunk Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Being a bit of a TOS nerd, I'm looking to give my crew all the goodies. Uniforms and ships are available with Zen but where can I get hold of Mark 2 & 3 phasers?

Also I seem unable to upgrade the the one Mark 2 phaser I do have.

Nothing important really but some info would be much appreciated.
  • theholydrunktheholydrunk Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    westmetals wrote: »
    The mission "Night of the Comet" has Mk 2 and 3 phasers as end-mission rewards.

The TOS era-pack phaser pistol, I believe, is an "infinity" weapon... these self-scale with you until you reach level 50, and then you should be able to use the Upgrade interface to autoconvert it to Mk XII (at no cost), then upgrade normally from there. There's a few such weapons in the game; they will have no mark number in their name and an infinity logo in place of the number on their icon. Another example of these are the Original Enterprise's retrofit phaser arrays (though not the otherwise identical ones from the mission 'Everything Old is New', which *do* come with a mark number).

By the way, are you aware you can get an unlimited supply of said phaser arrays? (By stripping, dismissing, and reclaiming the Constitution Cruiser a few times).

Thank you. I dont actually have any TOS era stuff, save the one pistol I got from Night of the Comet. Nowhere near enought dilithium to get the needed zen. So does the TOS pack have the weapons included?
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thank you. I dont actually have any TOS era stuff, save the one pistol I got from Night of the Comet. Nowhere near enought dilithium to get the needed zen. So does the TOS pack have the weapons included?

It has one. The deep space 9 bundle has 2.

But since you mention not having zen, why not just rerun missions that give good rewards and get them for free?
  • stokered2stokered2 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have four epic phaser relays mk xiv and four forward dual phaser beam arrays, also mk xiv.
    For the rear, there's four phaser turrets. I know turrets arent the most effective, but given a full frontal assasult that's 8 blazing guns heading the enemies direction.

My question is; Does phaser relays also buff the cannons or just the phaser beam weaponry? I'm sort of trying to decide if i should go with the ambient plasma envelope (I think that's the one), and instead get a dual beam array / cannon for every weapon type to increase the chance of one weapon being more effective then the others.

Which way is best to go?
  • rado79rado79 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hi, i hope i am in the right place :)
    I have started playing a few months ago. Enjoying it so far but am struggling to find decent diplomacy Doff assignments. Most of my other commendations are at level 3. So where can i find the high XP diplomacy assigments? Any other tips on increasing the diplomacy XP would be greatly appreciated :)

Intel: Sobek - Starfleet Tactical. Ship - USS Osiris (TCBC Presido).
  • puckalishpuckalish Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    First, to the beam/cannon question...
    A phaser relay will boost all phaser weapons, inclusive of cannons and beams. That said, it's generally not advisable to mix cannons and beams, as they take advantage of different BOff skills, etc., and can split your build a bit.
    For the back of your ship, I'd go with a Phaser Omni-directional Beam Array, Kinetic Cutting Beam, and maybe two single beams or a single beam and a torp bay.
    It's really hard to say what's "best" without knowing about your profession, ship, and how you fly... but it's a good rule of thumb to try to stick to all cannons or all beams and all of one energy type. That said, I fly a beam boat with a single turret on it (but that's for the set bonus, so...)

Next, Diplomacy DOff assignments... These can be hard to come by... you just kind of have to fly around and search 'em out. I believe there are some good ones in the Dyson Sphere Allied Space... also, several missions give Diplomacy XP (one of the ones you pick up in Defera space, or the little investigation stuff on Vulcan or whatever)... Keep looking at your First Officer to see if there's new stuff and definitely keep your eyes pealed for any Diplomacy assignment chains...
    IMO, the best one to work on first is Diplomacy, due to the various unlocks as you level up. Good luck!
  • raknus53raknus53 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Two questions,

1. I'm a bit of a RPGer in game. When I'm Fed, I always feel the need to have "federation approved" equipment (IE phasers, phasers, phasers) as that's what I'm accustomed to seeing in movies/TV. Are there any other weapon types that would be Fed-appropriate per cannon? It would be nice to branch out a little without that little voice inside me raging about the possibility of using non-Fed tech.

2. Are lock box keys ever dropped as loot? I know I can get them with Zen or through the Exchange but just wondering if there is even a remote chance of looting a key.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    raknus53 wrote: »
    Two questions,

1. I'm a bit of a RPGer in game. When I'm Fed, I always feel the need to have "federation approved" equipment (IE phasers, phasers, phasers) as that's what I'm accustomed to seeing in movies/TV. Are there any other weapon types that would be Fed-appropriate per cannon? It would be nice to branch out a little without that little voice inside me raging about the possibility of using non-Fed tech.

2. Are lock box keys ever dropped as loot? I know I can get them with Zen or through the Exchange but just wondering if there is even a remote chance of looting a key.
    Unfortunately Phasers are what Feds use. If you wish to use something else you will need to go off-canon.

No, Keys are never dropped. The game does give you Dilithium, which you can trade for Zen on the Diltihium Exchange. That is as close as it gets, though.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • puckalishpuckalish Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    To add on a little...

Yup... phasers... and photons. It's really viable, though, what with crafted stuff and whatnot... if you're not trying to be a top DPSer or whatever, you can still hold your own with just phasers and photons (particularly with crafted and rep items).

Keys are bought for Zen, initially... they must be. However, you can buy keys on the Exchange... around 2.4m EC at the moment... as they are a principle means by which people who want to spend cash on the game get their ECs up quick.
  • rado79rado79 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    @puckalish, thanks for the info on diplomacy doffs. I'll keep at it, it's not easy getting the diplomacy commendation up to lvl 4 before the others. I think the devs nerfed it before I started the game. The doff assignments in the undine zone (via solanae sphere) are so overpowered compared to the normal assignments elsewhere. Just an observation :)

Intel: Sobek - Starfleet Tactical. Ship - USS Osiris (TCBC Presidio). And I have a hangover this morning. Be kind :)
  • captainriccocaptainricco Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hi, I'm having a very stressful time trying to figure this all out.

I bought the Iconian war package from Steam, and played the first part, where I had to go running all around asking people stuff and going through the training, then fighting the Klingons on the ship, and becoming captain. Then the mission ended, I had to log off and go somewhere, and I have never been able to log on again.

Since then, I have bought the Steam Starter pack, the Delta Rising pack, and paid for a subscription for one month to Star Trek Online, but I still can't log on, I get the following error message:

Patcher error

A file was locked that could not be open for writing.

I wonder if you can help me with the next step... logging on.

Best regards,

Captain Ricco
  • satyric40satyric40 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Basic UI question: How do I equip a Kit Ability on my toolbar?

You'd think this would be a no-brainer, but I've done lots of experimenting and searching and not found this bit of information.
  • belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hi, I'm having a very stressful time trying to figure this all out.

I bought the Iconian war package from Steam, and played the first part, where I had to go running all around asking people stuff and going through the training, then fighting the Klingons on the ship, and becoming captain. Then the mission ended, I had to log off and go somewhere, and I have never been able to log on again.

Since then, I have bought the Steam Starter pack, the Delta Rising pack, and paid for a subscription for one month to Star Trek Online, but I still can't log on, I get the following error message:

Patcher error

A file was locked that could not be open for writing.

I wonder if you can help me with the next step... logging on.

Best regards,

Captain Ricco

Find your Star Trek online folder, locate the games .exe file and right click it, select options and choose the compatability tab, then tick the run as administrator box, apply and close the window then try to run the game. If that doesn't work then try turning off your anti virus and running the game, if it works without your av running then you need to exclude the Star Trek online .exe from your av, if none of these works then you probably have a corrupted file and may need to uninstall the game and reinstall it.
  • nathankomarannathankomaran Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I am not new to STO anymore...I'm a Rear Admiral now! Although I am still confused as to why my Bridge Officer's default Ground and Space Abilities keep on resetting themselves. Does anyone have an idea how to lock them in place or prevent said abilities from resetting?
  • neomodiousneomodious Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I am not new to STO anymore...I'm a Rear Admiral now! Although I am still confused as to why my Bridge Officer's default Ground and Space Abilities keep on resetting themselves. Does anyone have an idea how to lock them in place or prevent said abilities from resetting?

That's a recurring bug. It seems ot get fixed periodically, but comes back eventually...