Install Arc
Options

Come here if you have a Q

Comments

• Options
    mootillmootill Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    westmetals wrote: »
    "Nerf" is often used to describe changes in the game that make things weaker (possibly a reference to Nerf brand toys, which are often extruded-foam versions of sports equipment, thus softer than the standard versions).

BOFF - Bridge Officer.

DOFF - Duty Officer. .

Thanks. That helps a lot!

Another question I have - at what point in time can I give field promotions to my bridge officers?
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    mootill wrote: »
    Thanks. That helps a lot!

Another question I have - at what point in time can I give field promotions to my bridge officers?

Any time. Go to the skills tab and click "promote" on the bottom right of the window.

You can only promote them one step below your own rank at a maximum
  • Options
    denizyurukdenizyuruk Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    EDIT: nothing. Asked Customer Service.
    18416789043_5ed8d070e7_b.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    You can promote them at any time, as long as giving them the promotion will not result in them having the same rank as your Captain.

So... if you're starting a new Captain from scratch? Levels 10, 20, 30 for the three levels of promotions.

Ok. The option is currently unavailable, although I am a Lieutenant (Grade 9), and my bridge officers are all Cadet ranks.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    That's because promoting them would turn them into Lieutenants.

That's unrealistic. Their next rank should be Ensign, IMHO.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    It may be unrealistic, but the game's promotion system treats it as if Cadet = Ensign.

Would that be why I also skipped the Ensign rank?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    denizyuruk wrote: »
    I've got another forum-related question. I selected in notification type "Instant email notification" but I don't have any notification in my email when someone reply to this thread or other threads I'll subscribe.
    I don't know if it's my email or what.

I have never used that function, sorry.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    mootill wrote: »
    That's unrealistic. Their next rank should be Ensign, IMHO.

As starfleet officers they are already ensigns. Another way to think of it is this: all trucks are automobiles but not all automobiles are trucks. All cadets are ensignes but some ensignes are no longer cadets.
  • Options
    mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    westmetals wrote:
    Well, it's three steps rather than the old one, and it has a dilithium cost... but on the other hand it's much more alt-friendly as well as more friendly to assisting other players.

Alt-friendly? I don't understand that, especially with the dilithium cost.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    mirai222 wrote: »
    Alt-friendly? I don't understand that, especially with the dilithium cost.

Under the old system for your engineer to train your tactical captain's boff you'd need a second player to help. Now you can do it alone.

The dilithium cost is virtually insignificant and you can bypass it completely by buying the pads on the ah thus having someone else pay the cost for you. I'm not able to log in(I'm at work) but I think it is 240-ish to craft a padd?

However, I recommend checking prices on the ah for the skill first. Many of them are for sale for less than the price of crafting the padd. A few exceptions are the really high demand skills like dem3 or aux2sif3 or the specialty ones like override subsystem safeties 3. Those, it is usually cheaper to make for yourself. But gravity well 3 or others are often less than the cost of a padd.
  • Options
    furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    When it comes to upgrading gear, is it possible to keep using upgrade kits to try to improve an item's quality once it hits Mark XIV? Or is it only possible to increase an item's quality while upgrading it before it is Mark XIV?
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    When it comes to upgrading gear, is it possible to keep using upgrade kits to try to improve an item's quality once it hits Mark XIV? Or is it only possible to increase an item's quality while upgrading it before it is Mark XIV?

You can keep going after Mark 14, but the price gets enormously higher.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    You can keep going after Mark 14, but the price gets enormously higher.

Ah, so it's simply more cost effective to try to upgrade an item's quality before Mk XIV.

Thanks, been wondering about that for awhile.
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • Options
    puckalishpuckalish Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Ah, so it's simply more cost effective to try to upgrade an item's quality before Mk XIV.

Thanks, been wondering about that for awhile.

An important clarification...

The chance of a rarity improvement goes down as the mark goes up (An Experimental will yield a much lower chance of going VR > UR at Mk VII than at Mk II), true... which means that hitting Epic at XIV is very... expensive.

However, each time you clear a mark, your rarity chance resets (save whatever rollover there might be from an upgrade with TP points past what you need)... this means that, if you have a 50% chance at Mk VIII > IX, you lose all of those research "points" when you step from IX > X.

This stops happening at XIV. In other words, once you hit Mk XIV, you keep your rarity chance even if you don't get lucky on this round. If you have a 50% chance and you miss at XIV, you start from 50% on the next round.

I say all this to say that it makes sense to go for rarity at very low mark levels and then stop until you get to XIV and, if you have the resources, go after it again.
  • Options
    marcustrekmarcustrek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    How do I claim lifetime benefits? I can see my forum titles and such, but ingame I can't seem to figure out where or how to get all the other goodies. Bridge officers costumes and such. Also my accolades only shows me as a 100 day veteran, but the forum has the 1,000 day as an option.

Any ideas?
  • Options
    yocase009yocase009 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hey all,

I keep trying to get my ship visuals to change with different equipment and they just flat out won't. For instance, I have the Nukara impulse engines. To get my nacelles to change to being blue/orange is there something else I need to equip? I tried disabling and re-enabling visuals but have not had any luck...

Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    puckalish wrote: »
    I say all this to say that it makes sense to go for rarity at very low mark levels and then stop until you get to XIV and, if you have the resources, go after it again.

Thanks for the further clarification.

The main reason why I was asking was my concerns over Reputation gear, which always starts out at Mk XII. I was worried that one of the reasons why people complained that attempting to upgrade higher marked gear was expensive, was because you had to purchase the item again if it reached Mk XIV and hadn't upgraded in quality.

Fortunately, that is apparently not the case.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Thanks for the further clarification.

The main reason why I was asking was my concerns over Reputation gear, which always starts out at Mk XII. I was worried that one of the reasons why people complained that attempting to upgrade higher marked gear was expensive, was because you had to purchase the item again if it reached Mk XIV and hadn't upgraded in quality.

Fortunately, that is apparently not the case.

Reputation gear costs something stupid, like triple normal to upgrade. Just a warning.

If you use them, the mark 10 embassy science consoles are vastly a better deal than the mark 12s. Not just because of the chance to upgrade, but even after buying purple upgrade kits and upgrading them, they are far cheaper. Bordering on half price after cost to upgrade to Mk 12. The two chances to hit gold are just gravy.
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    marcustrek wrote: »
    How do I claim lifetime benefits? I can see my forum titles and such, but ingame I can't seem to figure out where or how to get all the other goodies. Bridge officers costumes and such. Also my accolades only shows me as a 100 day veteran, but the forum has the 1,000 day as an option.

Any ideas?

You'll get a massive amount of "system message and accolade spam" on screen as soon as a toon reaches lvl 5

The Veteran BOff's are available from the BOff Vendor located at the 3 hub's under "Special BOff's.

Veteran Costumes in the Tailor should unlock automatically.

The faction specific Veteran Enviro Suit and Fireworks ship emote are available from consoles also located at the 3 hubs (The enviro suits can be claimed as many times as you like, so you can gram 1 for the DS9 Cardassian Struggle mission and another 4 of them for the final mission of the Romulan Rep)

Several other items are claimable through the C-Store including the access pass to the Captains Table Map.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    yocase009 wrote: »
    Hey all,

I keep trying to get my ship visuals to change with different equipment and they just flat out won't. For instance, I have the Nukara impulse engines. To get my nacelles to change to being blue/orange is there something else I need to equip? I tried disabling and re-enabling visuals but have not had any luck...

Thanks for the help!

Not all sets have visuals. The breen set will make your engines blue and give a white trail. I'm not sure if the nukara engines do anything visually though.

Honor guard is orange. The fed version of that set is adapted maco
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    This page has a gallery at the bottom that shows the visuals. Do I need all 3 pieces to get them?

http://sto.gamepedia.com/File:無題9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    yocase009 wrote: »
    This page has a gallery at the bottom that shows the visuals. Do I need all 3 pieces to get them?

http://sto.gamepedia.com/File:無題9.jpg

Usually not. Usually the shield changes your hull the deflectoris an energy field animation and the engines change your nacelles and contrails.

Try visiting a ship customizer and see if there's something you can toggle there maybe?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Try visiting a ship customizer and see if there's something you can toggle there maybe?

Nope, no options. I have never had anything change the visuals on my ship. I have had the Roman, Jem'Hadar, and Solanae impulse engines before the Nukara and no changes at all to visuals. Any recommendations?