What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

dStahl Talks Voyager

Comments

• Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The final shot of the episode also saw Annorax working on the very same temporal calculations that led him to build the temporal ship in the first place. I'd imagine Voyager's interactions just delayed the exact time which it'd have been built.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    armbrust11armbrust11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    One thought about the idea of moving between the Delta Quadrant and the main STO campaign areas is that it is impossible to 'strand' characters in the Delta Quadrant the way that Voyager was without making a lot of people very angry about it.

They would have to disable everyones' Transwarp powers, for one thing. Two, they'd cut players off from the major social areas and logically services like Mail, Bank, and Exchange.

If they didn't do those things and didn't provide a rationale for faster travel, you'd have players popping back and forth from here to there and destroy any sense of distance, isolation, continuity, and immersion.

I tend to agree that the DQ as well as the GQ would be excellent excuses for expanding STO's exploration system. It would also be a good excuse to build a commodity trading system for those who like that kind of thing. The only rationales they really need for either quadrant are the subspace corridors and the wormhole.

Actually, making people become stranded would be kinda cool. what if to get home you had to use the transwarp home system? An unstable wormhole already exists (the barzan wormhole from "false profits") and once you are in the delta quadrant (random location too!) you have to wait for your transwarp to recharge before you can leave the sector, or find the new location of the wormhole. The cooldown of transwarp in the delta quadrant could increase too because of the distance, but you'd still only be stranded for 1-2 hours while transwarp charged, unless you got lucky and found the new entrance to the wormhole.

...and your fleet could build an outpost as well with a more permanent transwarp gate.
  • Options
    lonecoonlonecoon Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I was looking for the Vaadwaur on the list. Sad not to see them there.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    That's reeeally stretching IMO. Besides, it would be a lot more interesting to see progress. Personally, I don't want to go to the Delta Quadrant and find it exactly as Voyager left it 30 years ago. It wouldn't be reasonable to expect that.

And the Borg were thought to have been defeated by Voyager and the pathogen that infected them, which had been Starfleet's plan all the way back to the episode "I Borg". However we still have the Collective alive and well in our current time frame. So there's no reason to believe that, as mentioned before, other strains of the Vidiian Phage could have arisen, or that there were those that even refused the cure to begin with.

The idea of there being two different Vidiian factions would make for a better story; those that are cured and those that refuse to be, because of the culture that developed around the body harvesting that they performed for so long. Especially if the ones that aren't cured are preying on those that have been, in a horrible cannibalistic sort of way.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    smazazelsmazazel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    maybe the Vaadwaur are one of the races that attack the iconians then turned on the other members of the alliance. and the devs are just going to surprise us later with that.
  • Options
    oraxisonarisoraxisonaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Come on Krenim! (Vaadwaur wasn't on the list, unfortunately)

While I recognize that the Krenim time ship was destroyed, the last shot we see of the Krenim was Anorax working on the same temporal theorems that operated the time ship. Besides that, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they still had their temporal weapons and focus on chroniton torpedoes. Besides the awesome story aspect, it would give the Devs a good opportunity to give chroniton weapons some love.
  • Options
    thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The Kazon

Not much of a threat to anyone by themselves, however I can see them being conquered by the Klingons, giving the Empire Kazon bridge officers, ships and weapons. Let's not forget about the Trabe, who the Kazon actually worked for before they turned the tide and overthrew them. The Trabe could side with Starfleet giving them access to the same class of ship used by the Kazon.

Seska and Culluh's half Cardassian, half Kazon child should be about 37 now. I wonder what he's up to?

The Vidiian

The Vidiian were said to be cured but it's possible the Think Tank was lying. I also like the idea of the Think Tank actually removing the cure because of what Janeway did to them. Kurros, (Jason Alexander), could return and give Admiral Janeway, (Kate Mulgrew), a message explaining that she is responsible for the Vidiian's current plight.

Like the Kazon, I can see the Vidiian actually becoming a member of the Klingon Empire. Angry at Starfleet because it was Janeway who made the Think Tank remove their cure, the Vidiian may accept the Klingon's help. The Klingons could promise to help them find a cure, (Klingon Blood is important for that cure), and so the Vidiians agree to serve the Empire for as long as it takes.

The Krenim

A lot of people want to fight the Krenim but honestly, the end of the episode implied they weren't much of a true enemy anymore. Voyager had a brief chat with one of their ships and moved on without incident. They said that area of space was in dispute so I suppose bad things could have happened in the meantime and perhaps now they would be a more aggressive species. They could also end up being an ally of the Federation if the Klingons enter their space being loud and obnoxious as they sometimes are.

I like the ally idea personally. Considering the Krenim's understanding of temporal mechanics and the fact we know the Federation will be hardcore time travelers by the 29th Century, we could say the Krenim helped make that possible.

If they choose to make the Krenim an enemy instead, then they should also add the Zahl, who Voyager originally befriended before the Krenim erased them from existance. Once the timeline had been restored, the Zahl should return and resist the Krenim. If they don't add the Zahl, then they can also add the Rilnar.

The Rilnar had never before been seen, but were mentioned by Annorax as being the Krenim's main enemy. They were the reason the temporal ship was created to begin with. since they had only been mentioned, Cryptic could use some creative liberty to bring this species to life.

The Malon

Not major enemies. The Malon as a people were not an enemy and the garbage waste was really just "evil corporation dumping and polluting." Perhaps they end up working with the Ferangi who help them find other locations in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants where they can dump their waste, which naturally doesn't sit well with Starfleet or the Empire.

The Hierarchy

Little is really known about them. Maybe they can prey on ships as a random nuisance. Or Cryptic can take some creative liberty and flesh them out a bit.

The Devore

They could be interesting to fight. They hate telepaths and probably wouldn't like Alpha Quadrant powers bringing more telepaths into their territory. However, do they really pose a real threat to Starfleet or the Empire? I suppose their shields which also act as a sensor cloak could mean they can sneak up on you, making them interesting people to encounter in a patrol or something.

The Vaadwuar

They're not on this list but they really should be. The Vaadwuar had controlled a large portion of the Delta Quadrant 800 years ago but their empire was crushed by slave uprisings. Plenty of them had survived by going into stasis and were eventually revived by the Voyager crew. Now they want their Empire back. Perhaps they are recruited by the Iconians, promising to help them, just as they gained the loyalty of the Tal Shiar?

This could also allow for the Turei to be added as well. They currently control Vaadwuar territory and could be in conflict with them, requiring the assistance of Starfleet and the Empire.

The Swarm

This species doesn't have a name so Cryptic can make one up for them. Their language was unrecognized by the universal translator so they can remain alien by not being able to understand them. They are extremely xenophobic and kill anyone who comes across their territory. They attack by swarming you in smaller ships, draining you of energy and attempting to crush your hull by latching on to it. They'll also board your ship so they could make some missions, (maybe STF or something), where you repel them.

Species 116

They also do not have a name but their civilization was assimilated by the Borg. An estimated 20.000 or so escaped, so they could be encountered as refugees looking for help. Although they were ultimately defeated, they still put up a fight against the Borg for many centuries which means they could share their expertise with Starfleet and the Empire, (specifically OMEGA), in order to help them take on the Borg so they too do not fall. They were the species who were first seen using Quantum Slipstream drives so they can help better our own drives.

Meeting them could allow the lovely Dauntless Class ship to be added to the game. It sort of comes full circle this way since the Star Trek Enterprise episode "Azati Prime" showed the Federation using this ship design in the 26th century. So this could be how we got it.

Pralor/Cravic

Android civilizations who are at war with each other. They seemed pretty tough compared to Voyager so if they're still at war with each other by this time, their conflict could get in the way of Starfleet and the Klingons.

Lokirrim

At war with Photonic life-forms so like the Devor who are at war with telepaths, they could pose some kind of annoyance to Starfleet and the Empire.
  • Options
    majinsyllusmajinsyllus Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yea like many people said I would like to see the Vaudwaur added to the list, those people would actually get my vote :p
  • Options
    raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    smazazel wrote: »
    maybe the Vaadwaur are one of the races that attack the iconians then turned on the other members of the alliance. and the devs are just going to surprise us later with that.

The Iconian Empire was destroyed 200,000 years ago.

The Vaaduwar Empire lasted for 800 years into the mid 14th/15th Century.
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • Options
    dave18193dave18193 Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Like almost everyone else, I wish the Vaadwuar were on this list.

Failing that, +1 to Vidiians. They were always very interesting, and can we honestly say that humans would do any differently when faced with extinction, or even the deaths of loved ones?

Yes they were cured, but that still leaves a lot of people needing long term medical care, and a whole species despised by their neighbours. Could be interesting.

This might be an unpopular siggestion, but I'd like to see whats happening on Talax. Notably, are they still a subjugated world?

The whole quadrant poses a huge opportunity to expand the iconian storyline, tie up lose ends and b an interesting extension of the fed/kdf war, as both factions look for allies in a new region.
    Got a cat? Have 10 minutes to help someone make the best degree dissertation of all time?

Then please fill out my dissertation survey on feline attachment, it'd be a massive help (-:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/87XKSGH
  • Options
    e1ime1im Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »
    The idea of there being two different Vidiian factions would make for a better story; those that are cured and those that refuse to be, because of the culture that developed around the body harvesting that they performed for so long. Especially if the ones that aren't cured are preying on those that have been, in a horrible cannibalistic sort of way.

Or better yet: the cure (for one reason or another) didn't work on all Vidiians and those who were not cured are even more bitter and desperate, now harvesting their own people too, as the Phage continues to spread among those who cannot benefit from the cure. This way we can have a perspective on a "normal" version Vidiian society and the corrupted one and the drama of interaction between the two.

Oh wait... aren't we simply voting for a future lockbox theme?
  • Options
    stararmystararmy Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Man, I see the Krenim winning so far and I'm just shaking my head because that means time stuff, and time stuff means our captain's actions are essentially irrelevant because time travelers can, at any time, make our captains stop existing.
    Zinc: The universe of Star Trek Online is shaped and changed by the actions of the players...expect to see new planets and races discovered that were unknown the last time you logged in."
  • Options
    gwynhgwynh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Didn't understand the votes for Krenim. We still have Timeship and that#s not really interesting race.
    Vidiian have much more potential for game I think, remember STVY Phage.

My 2 Cents. :D
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,403 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You know, the more we flesh out (as it were) the Vidiian idea, the fonder I'm growing of it. The opportunities for Body Horror are just outstanding with this group, especially if they have two factions (the Cured and the Rejectors), and it's about time we had someone to fight for more reasons than just because we don't like them and they don't like us. The Rejectors, the Cult of Flesh to use the term that seizes my imagination best, are an existential threat to every humanoid life form this side of the Borg...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    azrealdragonkingazrealdragonking Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    megamanx82 wrote: »
    Kes died off, her species only lived about 5 years.

Well this shows the difference between the trekkers/Trekkies and the one off fans.

The Ocampa only live on average around 9 years my friend.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Ocampa

EDIT: Changed wording to be more polite
    OdanLexACCESSDENIED.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Bump, just for the people that may not know of the time line, I have bumped a small section of my previous post on page 28 of this thread of why the Krenim are most likely the best choice cause of the current events and actions we are taking within STO.

This is just my opinion of how I see the events unfolding in Star Trek online.

Edit: It just occurred to me The Krenim Species would also fit in with Star Trek Online extremely well cause of the Star Trek: Enterprise Era Time line, if you remember in the Episode "Cold Front."
    We are introduced to Crewman Daniels, who Explains to archer about the Temporal Cold War.

This in turn starts a small cascade of related episodes,

"Shockwave, Part 1 and 2"
    Here is where Daniels Explains about the "many Factions" of the Temporal Cold War from here we now have the Tie into our era.

"Future Tense"
    We meet the Tholians.

"Azati Prime"
    Again Daniels makes an appearance an shows a part of the future where the Federation and Xindi are fighting in a battle agents other factions on the USS Enterpise - J in the Cold War.

So who's to say the Krenim are not apart of or are a faction of this cold war, we know they have time ship technology we also know they have the ability to change the time line as they see fit, making them an extremely dangerous species with time ship technology.
    OdanLexACCESSDENIED.png
  • Options
    cptrourkcptrourk Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    In the books voyager along with a fleet used quantum slip stream to get back to the delta quadrant. Could the Delta quadrant be set up as location that you have to use a transwarp/slipstream jump that would either be very expensive or have a really long cool down to use. Seeing as how even the book writers thought it was needed for voyager to go back to the delta quadrant I think it would be great to see the delta quadrant added to STO
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    err, Trekkies not trekkers. We're not some group of 'trekkers' from the mountains that hike for food everyday, thank you very much. :mad:

Before you get all angry about the term I used, try doing a google search.
    But here is a quick Yahoo answer for ya

"Some people consider 'Trekkie' to be a derogatory term coined by those who don't understand the scene. They think it denotes someone without social skills who gloms onto Star Trek as some sort of substitute life."
    "A Trekker is someone who tries to live by the philosophy and ideals espoused in the Star Trek Universe."
    Examples of that; believing in the perfectibility of the human race, tomorrow will be better than today, or that by working hard, we can bring real and lasting change

Source(s):

Night of the Living Trekkies by Kevin David Anderson and Sam Stall

So to add it up here I was not being as rude as you think I was making him out to be.
    So you ow me a sorry, please
    OdanLexACCESSDENIED.png
  • Options
    pennylongpennylong Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My only problem with the Krenim is that we just had time travel with the tholians and the temporal lock box. I'd much rather see something new come to the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I have to apologize because YOU misused a term?! get over yourself!
    if you want to refer to yourself as some mountain man who lives in nature, go ahead, but stop perverting the original meaning of that term.

I guess you don't read a lot of books then.

If you want to look for a fight then go some place else, I'm not lowering myself to your caveman level of stupidity.

The Terms Trekkie and Trekker are the same thing I have not misused the term at all and if you didn't know of the term and cant even be bother to go and check up on the fact that it exists then that's your problem not mine.

However if you wish to be proven wrong Twice then so be it, this is the online dictionary:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/trekkie?s=t

Main Entry: Trekkie
    Part of Speech: n
    Definition: an avid fan of Star Trek science fiction, television shows, and films; by extension, a person interested in space travel; also called Trekker
    OdanLexACCESSDENIED.png
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,418 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Let's just leave it be all right?
    In my native tongue both terms can be seen in a rather uncomplimentary fashion.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    you can continue spouting your propaganda about words all you like. You already lowered your level yourself. I didn't need to do that.
    And news flash, you already shot yourself in the foot with that link. I can refer you to a good ophthalmologist since you obviously need one. He's excellent with correcting defective eyes.

P.S. I'll stick with hard-copy dictionaries that can't be altered. That's three strikes for you. Good bye.

Any real fan will know of the term Trekker, if you don't know it then its not my problem.

I couldn't care less to be honest its very clear that you have a chip on your shoulder and your problems are not mine good day to you and all that you endeavour to achieve.

:rolleyes:

But back to the actual topic of this post, I also agree that STO is very Time travel heavy is it not.
    OdanLexACCESSDENIED.png
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,401 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm just gonna say that if we get to fight Kazons and if (or more likely "when") there is a lockbox, you devs really REALLY need to add a universal console that grants you a power that beams a replicator into the targetted enemy ship.

If it's a Kazon one, it causes the death of 100% of the crew, disables shields and causes 50% damage to the hull.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The Kazon

Not much of a threat to anyone by themselves, however I can see them being conquered by the Klingons, giving the Empire Kazon bridge officers, ships and weapons. Let's not forget about the Trabe, who the Kazon actually worked for before they turned the tide and overthrew them. The Trabe could side with Starfleet giving them access to the same class of ship used by the Kazon.
    Hmm... I can't really see Starfleet wanting either of them as allies.

But as for the rest? Awesome list! just have to add one more entry: Species 10026/Nihydrons Well, we're not SURE they're the same race.... Anyways, it would be interesting if for whatever reason they hadn't been wiped out by the Borg in the current timeline.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
This discussion has been closed.