test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

dStahl Talks Voyager

Comments

• elmillielmilli Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    One option would be to ?fling? captains to the other side of the Galaxy and have them follow a similar storyline to the Voyager series. While this might be an awesome way to explore the galaxy and face challenges much like the Voyager crew, it isn?t necessarily the best solution for an MMO. Considering most captains who play the game would want to try the content, it wouldn?t make much sense to have thousands upon thousands of starships suddenly showing up on the other side of the galaxy and all of them stuck trying to get home. That might feel a bit strange in a multiplayer game

To be fair, Immersion doesn't mean much in STO. I mean, I go to warp in the Sol System, and there are dozens of ships hanging around the Sol System traveling at warp but sitting still. As I fly down the Vulcan Sector, I see dozens of other ships. Now, Starfleet is supposed to be stretched thin, so all those ships (Players) make no sense.

Personally I would enjoy a game mode where my ship is flung into the delta quadrant and unable to return to Earth or the Alpha and Beta quadrants until I complete a long line of quests and get back, or establish a Federation transwarp network there.

But one thing I want to see is the scope of the quadrants... Space is big... really big... but the Alpha and Beta quadrants feel really small. I'd like to see those quadrants expanded to feel big, while at the same time adding new content in the form of the remaining two quadrants.
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    elmilli wrote: »
    Now, Starfleet is supposed to be stretched thin, so all those ships (Players) make no sense.
    Because the Federation outsourced critical areas to private contractors.

Like us fleets. Player fleets are Blackwater/Xe/Halliburton... :cool:

Why else are we allowed our own privatized starbase (the Templars would be proud), privatized embassy (Machiavelli would be proud), and privatized economy (the Rothschilds would be proud).

And the Federation better be nice. (Charlie X would be proud)

We might decide to Go Galt and not fight off its enemies but rather negotiate directly and get concessions that just we deserve, like Diplomacy/Marauding.

I'm not going to say that STO is staffed by Randians. Just sayin' ya know? :)

This is all tongue in cheek.

OR IS IT?!!11!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,435 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The Kazon actually could be a good adversary race (and one that, like the Devore, I could feel good about blasting by the tens of thousands). The Borg may well have made the classic error of the arrogant - ignoring a foe they think is beneath them. Until the time that a bunch of Kazon warriors actually managed to steal a damaged cube, and began their classic technique of swiping and reverse-engineering the technology. Now we're facing Kazon ships with Borg components.

The Viidians? The answers have already been proposed, more than once - either the Think Tank was lying about having cured the phage, they only suppressed it in order to use the Viidians as their personal servants (you want to stay cured? You keep doing what we tell you), or the enemy that created the phage comes up with another strain, a la the modified genophage in Mass Effect 2. Although I think my favorite explanation might be the Cult of Flesh, who have made it part of their racial/social/religious identity that they have to harvest parts from other species, and have rejected the cure. That gives you a division not terribly dissimilar from that between the Cardassians and the True Way, or the Romulan Republic and the Tal Shiar. Only a lot creepier.

As for the Krenim, I can see that as being more of a FE, where a prototype time-warship is being developed, and Timefleet needs to enlist the aid of one of our admirals (that is to say, you, the player-character) to put a stop to it without damaging the timestream any further...

Quantum slipstream only works as a way of getting to Delta Quadrant if you want to restrict the entire quadrant to endgame (do you remember how long it took before you got that power?). However, transwarp hubs can be open to whoever. So, an engineering team uses slipstream to get over there, builds a hub, connects it to the one they built in our space before leaving, and catches up on whatever happened while they were gone.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Quantum slipstream only works as a way of getting to Delta Quadrant if you want to restrict the entire quadrant to endgame (do you remember how long it took before you got that power?). However, transwarp hubs can be open to whoever.
    Were I the product manager I'd probably not be allowed the first design goal.

But as an LTS I'd love to see it come down that way.

No I suspect we will see everyone allowed in there. Note Stahl's comments about "flinging" captains.

There isn't really an end game in STO any more. IMO anyway.
  • magus74656magus74656 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Something which might be done easily with mostly existing models, and could also be linked to the Delta Quadrant, is a follow-up to the TNG episode "Conspiracy", which was clearly set up for sequels but was never revisited.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Were I the product manager I'd probably not be allowed the first design goal.

But as an LTS I'd love to see it come down that way.

No I suspect we will see everyone allowed in there. Note Stahl's comments about "flinging" captains.

There isn't really an end game in STO any more. IMO anyway.

Level 50 ships with quantum slipstream go to the Delta Quadrant and build a transwarp hub so everyone below 50 can get there.

It's not rocket science.

Okay, so it's warp theory... but still. You get the point.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • wayofderawayofdera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I voted Krenium, but would love to see the Devore expand as well, if not all the above mentioned races.:)

In the post, it was mentioned about the idea of future available ships, for players to fly. My personal preference, would be to see less iconic ships of Star Trek, being made available for all factions to fly.

Rather, I would like to see more new concept ships made available, via lockbox, for the three existing factions. Further, the concept behind the "temporal science/destroyer vessels" is simply brilliant!:) I hope future lockboxes continue to be released this way, in which a vessel has three different skins, dependent on which player's faction, when opened. In fact, I think this would be a good idea to have all items in game this way, for example "Temporal Duty officers" being bound on opening, not pickup.
  • wraithangel72wraithangel72 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I would love to play as a liberated Borg from Unimatrix Zero. I've always wondered what happened to them.
  • keedoulkeedoul Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I think that for the way to get to the delta quadrant, should be choice number one on http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=966741, but with away that, when you want to do other stuff, that you can go out of the delta quadrant (its not part of the story line when you go away, though), plus, with our better warp drives, we could go through the delta quadrant quicker.
  • megamanx82megamanx82 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Kes died off, her species only lived about 5 years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    megamanx82 wrote: »
    Kes died off, her species only lived about 5 years.
    *points at Linnea*

Enh, maybe Federation medical tech has figured out how to give them longer life spans. There were Ocampa in Suspiria's group that had lived ove 12 years and didn't appear to be old.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Um, we all have transwarp drives and slipstream drives and can cross sectors in seconds. I don't think getting to the Delta Quadrant would be a real problem anymore, just saying.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
    edited August 2013
    Pointing out again - we don't all have slipstream. We're not all Vice Admirals. Now, if you only want Vice Admirals in the Delta Quadrant, and don't mind said VA being out of action for a few weeks while slipstreaming there, that's fine...

And most of us can only transwarp to one of a few defined hubs - our faction's capital, our fleet base if we belong to one, and sometimes one of a few deep-space stations. We can't just set transwarp for the other side of the galaxy and take off. Now, build a transwarp hub and give everyone authorization to use the gate, and we can all go...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The poll already shows that the Krenim, Vidian and Kazon are the big favorites. However I hope they will add some Malon stuff. Those radioactive haulers with their space mines were quite the menace.

Idk what people see in the Kazon though. I always found that a boring uninspiring race. They were just puny scavengers with lesser tech.
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • gornman47gornman47 Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ummm........VAADWAUR? I was hoping they would be on the list. They have anciant knowledge about the Borg and a score to settle with Voyager not to mentaion they probably have grown stronger by this point in time.
    Q: [quoting Hartley] "Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays..."
  • imadoctornotaimadoctornota Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The Vidians are cured of their disease now (the Think Tank cured them before Voyager even made it home). I want to go to the Delta Quadrant and find that they've become a valued member of their local society and they go around helping people with their advanced medical technology. If they end up just being another enemy group I will be extremely disappointed! We can't fight everyone, that's not Star Trek.
    Thanks for the expansion that had "as much content as the last"
    9 Episodes = 30+ episodes...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The funny thing about the Vaadwaur is that their basic setup is almost exactly the same as the Iconians; a powerful race which uses technology allowing them to travel great distances, in addition to almost appearing out of nowhere, to attack and potentially subjugate their adversaries, who then get their homeworld bombarded by an alliance of those who they treated badly, or coveted their superior technology.

Ronald D. Moore once said that Voyager's biggest issue was that: "The episodes that you watch week after week are so easily translatable to NEXT GEN that it's almost a cookie-cutter kind of thing. It's a waste of the premise."

The Vaadwaur do seem to be Voyager's attempt at having an Iconian kind of species, but one which would still be active and around. Though that obviously didn't work out, since we never saw them as an antagonist on the show again.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,463 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    gornman47 wrote: »
    ummm........VAADWAUR? I was hoping they would be on the list. They have anciant knowledge about the Borg and a score to settle with Voyager not to mentaion they probably have grown stronger by this point in time.

I see them and the kazon more as pirate factions such as the Orions. IMO not suited as a credible opponent especially since they're far far way.

The devore and Krenim both have rather unique weapons/abilities. The former with their refractive shielding, which is essentially a build-in shielded cloak, and the latter with their chroniton torpedoes which are essentially buffed transphasic torpedoes.

The voth will make an appearance either as NPC or as opponent and everything else from the Voyager episodes lacks real credibility as a treat OR is already in STO.

I do hope the Hirogen rifle becomes available for all factions btw.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The poll already shows that the Krenim, Vidian and Kazon are the big favorites. However I hope they will add some Malon stuff. Those radioactive haulers with their space mines were quite the menace.

Idk what people see in the Kazon though. I always found that a boring uninspiring race. They were just puny scavengers with lesser tech.
    Well, the Kazon's strength was in their ruthlessness. Also they weren't idiots, but they weren't scientists either..... If they had somehow gotten their hands on Vidiian tech... Actually... An alliance of the Kazon and Vidiians is a very scary idea... O_O'
    gornman47 wrote: »
    Yeah I was hoping they'd make the list myself.
    The Vidians are cured of their disease now (the Think Tank cured them before Voyager even made it home). I want to go to the Delta Quadrant and find that they've become a valued member of their local society and they go around helping people with their advanced medical technology. If they end up just being another enemy group I will be extremely disappointed! We can't fight everyone, that's not Star Trek.
    Well.... The Think Tank weren't philanthropists. Everything they did had a price. Besides, no cured Vidiians were ever seen. It's possible he was lying.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I guess the easiest way is to open some kind of transwarp gate or wormhole to the delta quadrant and give everybody access, but i do kind of like the idea of starting a playable faction there and having the content mostly for that faction.

if they wanted to do a liberated borg faction, continuing on from the unimatrix zero 2 part story, they could use all of those races as playable liberated characters as they try to defeat the borg collective (and in the process helping to save the alpha and beta quadrants from the suggested defeat at the hands of the borg after 3 years from the 2800 series.

you could encounter these different species along the way. some want to help, some want to hinder you in your quest to save the galaxy. how would they react to liberated members of their own species? what are their goals? do any serve the iconians?
  • imadoctornotaimadoctornota Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Besides, no cured Vidiians were ever seen. It's possible he was lying.

That's reeeally stretching IMO. Besides, it would be a lot more interesting to see progress. Personally, I don't want to go to the Delta Quadrant and find it exactly as Voyager left it 30 years ago. It wouldn't be reasonable to expect that.
    Thanks for the expansion that had "as much content as the last"
    9 Episodes = 30+ episodes...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
    edited August 2013
    looking at the poll, i'm surprised that people have mostly chosen the Krenim (remember the Krenim don't have any super advanced temporal technology or otherwise, after Voyager rammed their vessel - everything reset. So why anybody would choose them, i have no idea. If anything, people should chose the Malon. We already have too many clean environments on ships and other places. Putting in the Malon makes things more interesting visually, and adds an element of environmental danger for your away teams, especially.)
    Yes, it was reset. Which means that if another Krenim researcher comes up with the idea, there's nothing to tell him that it's a bad idea. But like I said, that's best suited to a FE, or at most a story arc, in which Timefleet needs one of us to stop the new Krenim time-warship without ripping up history any worse than they already have.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited August 2013
    The final shot of the episode also saw Annorax working on the very same temporal calculations that led him to build the temporal ship in the first place. I'd imagine Voyager's interactions just delayed the exact time which it'd have been built.
  • armbrust11armbrust11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    One thought about the idea of moving between the Delta Quadrant and the main STO campaign areas is that it is impossible to 'strand' characters in the Delta Quadrant the way that Voyager was without making a lot of people very angry about it.

They would have to disable everyones' Transwarp powers, for one thing. Two, they'd cut players off from the major social areas and logically services like Mail, Bank, and Exchange.

If they didn't do those things and didn't provide a rationale for faster travel, you'd have players popping back and forth from here to there and destroy any sense of distance, isolation, continuity, and immersion.

I tend to agree that the DQ as well as the GQ would be excellent excuses for expanding STO's exploration system. It would also be a good excuse to build a commodity trading system for those who like that kind of thing. The only rationales they really need for either quadrant are the subspace corridors and the wormhole.

Actually, making people become stranded would be kinda cool. what if to get home you had to use the transwarp home system? An unstable wormhole already exists (the barzan wormhole from "false profits") and once you are in the delta quadrant (random location too!) you have to wait for your transwarp to recharge before you can leave the sector, or find the new location of the wormhole. The cooldown of transwarp in the delta quadrant could increase too because of the distance, but you'd still only be stranded for 1-2 hours while transwarp charged, unless you got lucky and found the new entrance to the wormhole.

...and your fleet could build an outpost as well with a more permanent transwarp gate.
  • lonecoonlonecoon Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I was looking for the Vaadwaur on the list. Sad not to see them there.
    edited August 2013
    That's reeeally stretching IMO. Besides, it would be a lot more interesting to see progress. Personally, I don't want to go to the Delta Quadrant and find it exactly as Voyager left it 30 years ago. It wouldn't be reasonable to expect that.

And the Borg were thought to have been defeated by Voyager and the pathogen that infected them, which had been Starfleet's plan all the way back to the episode "I Borg". However we still have the Collective alive and well in our current time frame. So there's no reason to believe that, as mentioned before, other strains of the Vidiian Phage could have arisen, or that there were those that even refused the cure to begin with.

The idea of there being two different Vidiian factions would make for a better story; those that are cured and those that refuse to be, because of the culture that developed around the body harvesting that they performed for so long. Especially if the ones that aren't cured are preying on those that have been, in a horrible cannibalistic sort of way.
  • smazazelsmazazel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    maybe the Vaadwaur are one of the races that attack the iconians then turned on the other members of the alliance. and the devs are just going to surprise us later with that.
  • oraxisonarisoraxisonaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Come on Krenim! (Vaadwaur wasn't on the list, unfortunately)

While I recognize that the Krenim time ship was destroyed, the last shot we see of the Krenim was Anorax working on the same temporal theorems that operated the time ship. Besides that, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they still had their temporal weapons and focus on chroniton torpedoes. Besides the awesome story aspect, it would give the Devs a good opportunity to give chroniton weapons some love.
  • thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The Kazon

Not much of a threat to anyone by themselves, however I can see them being conquered by the Klingons, giving the Empire Kazon bridge officers, ships and weapons. Let's not forget about the Trabe, who the Kazon actually worked for before they turned the tide and overthrew them. The Trabe could side with Starfleet giving them access to the same class of ship used by the Kazon.

Seska and Culluh's half Cardassian, half Kazon child should be about 37 now. I wonder what he's up to?

The Vidiian

The Vidiian were said to be cured but it's possible the Think Tank was lying. I also like the idea of the Think Tank actually removing the cure because of what Janeway did to them. Kurros, (Jason Alexander), could return and give Admiral Janeway, (Kate Mulgrew), a message explaining that she is responsible for the Vidiian's current plight.

Like the Kazon, I can see the Vidiian actually becoming a member of the Klingon Empire. Angry at Starfleet because it was Janeway who made the Think Tank remove their cure, the Vidiian may accept the Klingon's help. The Klingons could promise to help them find a cure, (Klingon Blood is important for that cure), and so the Vidiians agree to serve the Empire for as long as it takes.

The Krenim

A lot of people want to fight the Krenim but honestly, the end of the episode implied they weren't much of a true enemy anymore. Voyager had a brief chat with one of their ships and moved on without incident. They said that area of space was in dispute so I suppose bad things could have happened in the meantime and perhaps now they would be a more aggressive species. They could also end up being an ally of the Federation if the Klingons enter their space being loud and obnoxious as they sometimes are.

I like the ally idea personally. Considering the Krenim's understanding of temporal mechanics and the fact we know the Federation will be hardcore time travelers by the 29th Century, we could say the Krenim helped make that possible.

If they choose to make the Krenim an enemy instead, then they should also add the Zahl, who Voyager originally befriended before the Krenim erased them from existance. Once the timeline had been restored, the Zahl should return and resist the Krenim. If they don't add the Zahl, then they can also add the Rilnar.

The Rilnar had never before been seen, but were mentioned by Annorax as being the Krenim's main enemy. They were the reason the temporal ship was created to begin with. since they had only been mentioned, Cryptic could use some creative liberty to bring this species to life.

The Malon

Not major enemies. The Malon as a people were not an enemy and the garbage waste was really just "evil corporation dumping and polluting." Perhaps they end up working with the Ferangi who help them find other locations in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants where they can dump their waste, which naturally doesn't sit well with Starfleet or the Empire.

The Hierarchy

Little is really known about them. Maybe they can prey on ships as a random nuisance. Or Cryptic can take some creative liberty and flesh them out a bit.

The Devore

They could be interesting to fight. They hate telepaths and probably wouldn't like Alpha Quadrant powers bringing more telepaths into their territory. However, do they really pose a real threat to Starfleet or the Empire? I suppose their shields which also act as a sensor cloak could mean they can sneak up on you, making them interesting people to encounter in a patrol or something.

The Vaadwuar

They're not on this list but they really should be. The Vaadwuar had controlled a large portion of the Delta Quadrant 800 years ago but their empire was crushed by slave uprisings. Plenty of them had survived by going into stasis and were eventually revived by the Voyager crew. Now they want their Empire back. Perhaps they are recruited by the Iconians, promising to help them, just as they gained the loyalty of the Tal Shiar?

This could also allow for the Turei to be added as well. They currently control Vaadwuar territory and could be in conflict with them, requiring the assistance of Starfleet and the Empire.

The Swarm

This species doesn't have a name so Cryptic can make one up for them. Their language was unrecognized by the universal translator so they can remain alien by not being able to understand them. They are extremely xenophobic and kill anyone who comes across their territory. They attack by swarming you in smaller ships, draining you of energy and attempting to crush your hull by latching on to it. They'll also board your ship so they could make some missions, (maybe STF or something), where you repel them.

Species 116

They also do not have a name but their civilization was assimilated by the Borg. An estimated 20.000 or so escaped, so they could be encountered as refugees looking for help. Although they were ultimately defeated, they still put up a fight against the Borg for many centuries which means they could share their expertise with Starfleet and the Empire, (specifically OMEGA), in order to help them take on the Borg so they too do not fall. They were the species who were first seen using Quantum Slipstream drives so they can help better our own drives.

Meeting them could allow the lovely Dauntless Class ship to be added to the game. It sort of comes full circle this way since the Star Trek Enterprise episode "Azati Prime" showed the Federation using this ship design in the 26th century. So this could be how we got it.

Pralor/Cravic

Android civilizations who are at war with each other. They seemed pretty tough compared to Voyager so if they're still at war with each other by this time, their conflict could get in the way of Starfleet and the Klingons.

Lokirrim

At war with Photonic life-forms so like the Devor who are at war with telepaths, they could pose some kind of annoyance to Starfleet and the Empire.
  • majinsyllusmajinsyllus Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yea like many people said I would like to see the Vaudwaur added to the list, those people would actually get my vote :p
This discussion has been closed.