test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Interesting read.......

naz4naz4 Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
edited November 2013 in PvP Gameplay
http://sto.gamepedia.com/Upcoming_content

How accurate is this? The PvP bit i'm on about....
Post edited by naz4 on

Comments

• rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Sounds more like a wishlist using really weak sources than anything.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's just a collection to things that various devs or dan stahl have mentioned at various times.

If you click on some of the reference number's links you can see who said what and when they said it.

As far as I'm concerned nothing is in the works for PvP until I see it on Tribble or a Blog Post.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's just a collection to things that various devs or dan stahl have mentioned at various times.

If you click on some of the reference number's links you can see who said what and when they said it.

As far as I'm concerned nothing is in the works for PvP until I see it on Tribble or a Blog Post.

Pretty much this...you can check out the dates things were said (or maybe some of us heard our grandparents talking about hearing about it when they were kids)... ;)
  • webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited November 2013

UNfortinately I'd have to agree.
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lascaillelascaille Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Sounds more like a wishlist using really weak sources than anything.
    my first thought was "... until next tuesday..." ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    STOWiki's had these lists for years, they never come close to being accurate, sadly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, as Ulti says... they are collections of what the dev's have hinted at in interviews, forums, etc...

I do think they should change the name from "Upcoming Content" or at least quote the dev's own words...

Looking here makes it look like this is all "promised" content, as opposed to talking about ideas, what they would like to do (completely different meaning from what they will do), plans and so on.

I really think that these types of posts (stowiki) set a false expectation that these are the things that WILL be , instead of MAY be.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
    edited November 2013
    Kind of like 37 minutes into the latest STOked...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRVI1uqpXsI

Once again....heh, bet it ends up on STOwiki as "GUARANTEED AS COMING!" Ahem, lol...
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited November 2013
    Well best thing to do is look at the amount of content that's been coming out with each season.

:spoilers:

Things to do decrease, the grind increases.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
    edited November 2013
    bpharma wrote: »
    Well best thing to do is look at the amount of content that's been coming out with each season.

:spoilers:

Things to do decrease, the grind increases.

I don't know...there are a ton of little missions that reward 2-3 Dyson Marks. :)

Have to figure they also have been working on the Winter Event, the 4th Anni is right around the corner, then it's a sneeze before you're into S9 and bam there's the Summer Event.

Perhaps people need to spend more money - so they can increase the team.
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Perhaps people need to spend more money - so they can increase the team.

I just got a strange Deja vu there. I am sure we said the exact same thing when they started doing lock boxes and adding obvious p2w stuff to the game.
    "It may be fine in the end cause they will make more and hire more." Or something like that was said anyway.

I think we all just have to realize at this point... PWE isn't about making good games... there about making lots of Profit. You don't make profit by hiring more people. You make profit by bleeding the ones you have.

Honestly all the devs I like at Cryptic I really hope they are looking for better employment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
    edited November 2013
    I just got a strange Deja vu there. I am sure we said the exact same thing when they started doing lock boxes and adding obvious p2w stuff to the game.
    "It may be fine in the end cause they will make more and hire more." Or something like that was said anyway.

I think we all just have to realize at this point... PWE isn't about making good games... there about making lots of Profit. You don't make profit by hiring more people. You make profit by bleeding the ones you have.

Honestly all the devs I like at Cryptic I really hope they are looking for better employment.

Thing is, think about how the end of 2011 and start of 2012 played out...compared to later 2012 and early 2013...through now. They've increased the team, had the revenue to reinvest, etc, etc, etc...

Course, there's no earmarking our money.

S9: Crafting Update Part I: Clothing
    S10: Crafting Update Part II: Cooking
    S11: Crafting Update Part III: Crafty TRIBBLE
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    naz4 wrote: »
    How accurate is this?

As accurate as my plans to be an astronaut when I was a kid. Fortunately, all of my childhood neighbors and friends aren't raging at me for not following through with it so they can get some free Tang from me.
    <3
  • donrahdonrah Member Posts: 348
    edited November 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »
    As accurate as my plans to be an astronaut when I was a kid. Fortunately, all of my childhood neighbors and friends aren't raging at me for not following through with it so they can get some free Tang from me.

That's not even an accurate analogy. You didn't make people believe that you will do something and then put it off indefinitely. Nobody has any reasonable expectations that a child will follow through on their pursuit of becoming an astronaut. Cryptic did set achievable goals that gave people reasonable expectations that they would complete it, but they put it off over and over. Do you know what you call someone who says something they don't follow through on? Unreliable. People are upset that they keep getting disappointed by the disparity between what Cryptic says and what they actually do.
    Go here and show your support for a better Foundry!
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    donrah wrote: »
    That's not even an accurate analogy. You didn't make people believe that you will do something and then put it off indefinitely. Nobody has any reasonable expectations that a child will follow through on their pursuit of becoming an astronaut. Cryptic did set achievable goals that gave people reasonable expectations that they would complete it, but they put it off over and over. Do you know what you call someone who says something they don't follow through on? Unreliable. People are upset that they keep getting disappointed by the disparity between what Cryptic says and what they actually do.

Ya the proper analogy isn't the kid that makes big promises and breaks them... its more....

Like a father who leaves your mother and says I'll be back in a few weeks to visit. Then calls you on the phone a month later and says I'll be there to see you in a few weeks. Then calls you in three or four months later and says I'll be out to visit you at Christmas. Then come spring break you call him and he says sorry I forgot about that, I'll be out over the summer though.

Cryptic isn't run by children... and they get paid when we pay them. Come to think about it, there more like the head of a ponzi scheme. Oh ya I know we didn't have the outcome we wanted right now, its ok though we just need to bring in more people. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • g0h4n4g0h4n4 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ya the proper analogy isn't the kid that makes big promises and breaks them... its more....

Like a father who leaves your mother and says I'll be back in a few weeks to visit. Then calls you on the phone a month later and says I'll be there to see you in a few weeks. Then calls you in three or four months later and says I'll be out to visit you at Christmas. Then come spring break you call him and he says sorry I forgot about that, I'll be out over the summer though.

Cryptic isn't run by children... and they get paid when we pay them. Come to think about it, there more like the head of a ponzi scheme. Oh ya I know we didn't have the outcome we wanted right now, its ok though we just need to bring in more people. :)

That's why I have stopped all my spending on the game until there is a PVP revamp, I won't be the first and certainly won't be the last
    Now found frequenting MWO short term and then Star Citizen long term. Raged Quit PVP long ago
    - Gohan (House of Beautiful /Sad Pandas)
  • voxlagindvoxlagind Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I've been lured back to STO by less detail than this. If I hadn't made this mistake many times before, I might find myself making it again.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Fool me thrice, and I am a fool.

I have no more outrage or disgust left for Cryptic on the subject, nor could I believe anything they hinted at even if I wanted to.

STO is not ours, its theirs. As soon as you realize this, and disconnect yourself from whatever emotional attachments remain, you'll realize there's nothing left here for you.

But hope can remain, and that's why I keep an eye on it from time to time (though that dwindles as time passes, and new activities peak my interests). Perhaps some day a formal announcement will be made about a PvP revamp. On that day, hopefully some of us will still be paying enough attention to return.

However, as a final warning: don't ever expect there to be an announcement from them telling you that PvP will never be improved. Even if this was the plan, it's a poor business model that doesn't keep the stragglers clinging on to hope (even when there is none). The writing is on the wall, even if you can't see it.

Don't play the fool for too long.
    edited November 2013
    Kind of like 37 minutes into the latest STOked...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRVI1uqpXsI

Once again....heh, bet it ends up on STOwiki as "GUARANTEED AS COMING!" Ahem, lol...

I'll have to give it a listen (37 minutes in).

Maybe we should nominate you to collect these snippets for the PvP community - because I really can't make it through a 90 minute podcast. :P

In all seriousness, I think that if the devs do at some point turn their attention to PvP, many of us will actually regret that day.

Maybe I'm too grim for my own good. ;)
  • naz4naz4 Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Maybe we should nominate you to collect these snippets for the PvP community - because I really can't make it through a 90 minute podcast. :P

In all seriousness, I think that if the devs do at some point turn their attention to PvP, many of us will actually regret that day.

"Logical" was the statement he made for evolving adventure zones into PvP.
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited November 2013

Being a realist to me lol.

I also think given the way things usually turn out you'd all miss these fun times if/when a PvP revamp comes along.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

thats why I always tell people to stop asking pvp revamp.Most people have no idea what will happen....just look at more simple things that were "touched" by change.

now lets bet what will happen all my money on :

they will use pvp revamp to make pretty much all your shets useless thus giving everyone a reason to grind again.They will use power creep to creep the existing power creep, add 3 maps and ban Hilbert for working at that evil leaderboard (according to the last podcast its against EULA or some other shet like that no one reads ,not even Geko <he said it not me>, to parse.....while other games have built in parsers ...)
    edited November 2013

This one...felt like it was over three hours long. One of the most tedious podcasts I've watched - it was a massive rehash of things, but it did have a few funny things in it. The following are obviously paraphrased:

STOked: So how did you get involved in game design?
    Geko: Well, I was doing the Marine biology/chemistry thing to look for a cure for Cancer...
    STOked: That sounds cool.
    Geko: ...but I realized there was no money in it, so I went into game design.

STOked: So is it okay to parse DPS in STO?
    Geko: Well...
    STOked: Yes?
    Geko: I'm not familiar with the EULA, but I'd read that in answer to your question.

STOked: What about adding a Nightmare Mode for PvE?
    Geko: The majority of our players suck, we've got no plans to increase difficulty.
    STOked: Not in general, but adding a new mode. Folks are finishing ISE in less than 5 minutes.
    Geko: But the majority of our players suck.
    STOked: Not in general, but adding a new mode.
    Geko: We could probably tweak the levels of NPCs, could be less than an hour's work.
    STOked: That's great.

edit: This particular part...meh, it crossed a line. So I've removed it.

STOked: So what about getting Bort to come by?
    Geko: That's not for me to say.
    STOked: He's not answering our emails.
    Geko: He may have been busy.
    STOked: Is he doing okay?
    Geko: He's doing great.
    STOked: Is he doing anybody else's podcast?
    Geko: Uh, I wouldn't know.
    STOked: Is it something we did?
    STOked: Can you tell him hi for us?
    Geko: Uh, sure.
    STOked: We don't know why he's not returning our messages.
    STOked: Geko, you still there?
    STOked: Al?
    STOked: Hello?

Geko: I usually don't go to the forums because people say things that hurt my feelings.
    VirusDancer: Awww, man...sorry...want a hug?

It was painful. I actually felt bad for Al and the other two there with him.

Heh, it's fun thinking of all the potential things they could do that folks would loathe. Though I suppose that depends on one's idea of fun. Give them another season or two, and the PvP Update will be a mix of LoL and Pokemon with all the vanity pets.
    edited November 2013
    naz4 wrote: »
    "Logical" was the statement he made for evolving adventure zones into PvP.

What that sounds like to me is:

A zone that is like the current space/ground Battlezones - which is not too dissimilar from Kerrat to begin with.

Has small pop up missions in zone for zone wide buffs for Red Team / Blue Team depending on resources controlled or NPCs destroyed.

Allows for PvE elements, that most PvErs will shun as they don't want to PvP and don't want to be "forced" to PvP for "rewards".

Has an attached Rep system & gear to incentivize content.

Potential Issues:

Feds, KDF and Roms are all currently working together. Who is Red & Blue?

Would Red vs. Blue be randomly generated? Why are Feds teamed with KDF fighting other Feds teamed with KDF?

Are we going to go back to the Fed v KDF war with a faction that still isn't fully developed and is severely underpopulated - how does that make "logical" sense with the current storyline?

The Adventure zone absolutely needs to draw in the PvE population*, or it will basically fail from an investment standpoint.

They create content and that content needs to be consumed, they need metrics of the consumption to quantify (future) justification and because players doing the content creates impetus for players to do the content (especially with something endgame that encompasses an entire zone).

*Either that, or they find a way to flag oneself for PvP and allow PvE only players to remain untouched and able to perform the PvE tasks.

In a vacuum the idea is logical, it will be interesting to see how they decide to get there.

Logical to me would be to start hammering out the worst balance issues & opaque game mechanics so that when you actually implement some form of grandiose adventure PvP zone you don't have the uninitiated player being bombarded and finding the entire experience "unfun".
    edited November 2013
    This one...felt like it was over three hours long. One of the most tedious podcasts I've watched - it was a massive rehash of things, but it did have a few funny things in it. The following are obviously paraphrased:

Geko: Well, I was doing the Marine biology/chemistry thing to look for a cure for Cancer...

Geko: I'm not familiar with the EULA, but I'd read that in answer to your question.

Geko: The majority of our players suck, we've got no plans to increase difficulty.
    STOked: Not in general, but adding a new mode. Folks are finishing ISE in less than 5 minutes.
    Geko: We could probably tweak the levels of NPCs, could be less than an hour's work.

Bravo, I appreciate a bit of narrative license.

Although I think Al gave a good answer on the Parsing/EULA questions and I think he seemed somewhat open to the concept of a Nightmare mode - but realistically it's probably a niche group that would enjoy it.
    edited November 2013
    Potential Issues:

Feds, KDF and Roms are all currently working together. Who is Red & Blue?

Would Red vs. Blue be randomly generated? Why are Feds teamed with KDF fighting other Feds teamed with KDF?

Are we going to go back to the Fed v KDF war with a faction that still isn't fully developed and is severely underpopulated - how does that make "logical" sense with the current storyline?

Yeah, he mentioned the faction imbalance so that it couldn't be FvK...it would have to be RvB.

War Games! Everybody working together to improve their skills in PvP so they can face the challenge of PvE!

Oh wait...
  • captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

LOL ,Id watch that podcast :D
    edited November 2013

Having been through 2 balance passes, one complete overhaul, and a PvP bug bash in two different mmos before, this is probably the most truthful statement of them all in this thread.

When they do revamp pvp, everything we know today will be destroyed and will work completely differently.

I still remember the sheer rage at SOE the day they did the NGE. It broke PvP for the rest of the lifespan of the game (and it was broken before that in other ways too)

They polished it a little near the end, but it was never quite right.

Things may be broken but we have found ways to make solid teams and matches. If the devs do act, we will (and i can promise this) be very very angry the day the patch goes live.

Imagine all of your gear youve obtained being completely useless now, you really should have something else. Imagine all of your powers working completely differently, some doing less, some doing more, hey maybe boarding party would be the new tactical team must-have, etc.

You really dont know what youre in store for if youve never experienced it before.

One guaranteed result (dont take this hard btw) are the good players usually become the bads and the bads that were doing the nooby things before become the gods. Ive seen it happen, because the noobs using the stock gear had to learn to use it right and we never did.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    edited November 2013

STOked: So what about getting Bort to come by?
    Geko: That's not for me to say.
    STOked: He's not answering our emails.
    Geko: He may have been busy.
    STOked: Is he doing okay?
    Geko: He's doing great.
    STOked: Is he doing anybody else's podcast?
    STOked: Is it something we did?
    STOked: Can you tell him hi for us?
    Geko: Uh, sure.
    STOked: We don't know why he's not returning our messages.
    STOked: Geko, you still there?
    STOked: Al?
    STOked: Hello?

Geko: I usually don't go to the forums because people say things that hurt my feelings.
    VirusDancer: Awww, man...sorry...want a hug?

To be honest I was practically raging at the host to shut the hell up and let Al talk. He kept interrupting, talking over him, interjecting his personal feelings, and so on.

I was like is this an interview for the playerbase or for his own personal interests. I do not like this Maverick's style, in all honestly. The woman was good, direct and to the point and let Al answer uninterrupted.
    Gold.jpg
  • mancommancom Member Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    and ban Hilbert for working at that evil leaderboard (according to the last podcast its against EULA or some other shet like that no one reads ,not even Geko <he said it not me>, to parse.....while other games have built in parsers ...)
    Wait. What?
  • aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    To be honest I was practically raging at the host to shut the hell up and let Al talk. He kept interrupting, talking over him, interjecting his personal feelings, and so on.

I was like is this an interview for the playerbase or for his own personal interests. I do not like this Maverick's style, in all honestly. The woman was good, direct and to the point and let Al answer uninterrupted.

I noticed she was getting interrupted just as much as Geko was, and I agree with Virus. the interview on the whole was massively tedious! It really was just a step away from asking Geko what his favorite colour was. There wasn't any new info about future releases as described in the description - total waste of time. And yes, Mav seemed to forget wtf was going on and mumbled away to himself the whole time...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...