Install Arc
Options

Subspace Integration Circuit

Comments

• Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    topset wrote: »
    Well, that's fine, they don't like you either.

I don't like you either, and I don't PvP. Attitudes like that suck.

PVPers have ruined it again for PVErs with their bratty whining. And what percentage of the STO's population actually plays PVP? Then people like you wonder why people like him can't stand pvpers...
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Says someone that's never set foot into the PvP Forum. Probably in the top 3 most interesting subforums to read.

Infinitely higher than General Discussion which is rock bottom.

How do you know where I have or haven't been? Do you work for the NSA?
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    PVPers have ruined it again for PVErs with their bratty whining. And what percentage of the STO's population actually plays PVP? Then people like you wonder why people like him can't stand pvpers...

how did we ruin it?

this console will work just the same against npc's.
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    maicake716 wrote: »
    how did we ruin it?

this console will work just the same against npc's.

The disable effect change effects both pve and pvp, right?
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2013

Very, very few NPCs utilize defensive abilities, or other self-targeting powers. As such, setting their Weapons Offline and preventing them from targeting anyone is essentially the same as Disabling them. Most of the time.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Slowing them to a near stop and disabling their weapons is almost as good against an NPC (with their limited resistances and no active countering or defense) as a total disable. And against 90% of them, it's exactly as good except they could queue up abilities to use if they survive (instead of just using them after they escape).
  • Options
    topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

They haven't "ruined it for PvE with their bratty whining" - There were plenty of people on both sides (PvE and PvP) that knew this console couldn't stay in its current state, it was too powerful.

It's way better than any lobi console, it's dirt cheap and extremely common.

Keeping it as it was would be BAD FOR THE GAME. I don't understand how people don't see that. It's not like they are nerfing your favourite toy, they are nerfing a brand new items which evidently had no QA done on it.
    How do you know where I have or haven't been? Do you work for the NSA?

You made it pretty clear that you don't like PvP, or PvPers, so it was a logical assumption that you don't spend much time in the PvP Subforum....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • Options
    ehrlehnehrlehn Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    from what I can tell, without testing on tribble, is that while it is a nerf to the console for use in PvP, the boost to collapse damage combined with the weapons disable, and slowing effect may actually be a net gain for PvE. In that case, this looks like a solid balance pass that is as close to the best of both worlds as may be possible.

Derrick - Fed Eng
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This console was way too powerful. it was a 'must have' for pvp and nothing should be a 'must have'.

i do understand the annoyance of having a nerf to a cool item for the benefit of a small group of people, but pvp is part of the game and it needs to be cared for.

the console still does enough to be useful in pve. its not like any battles are going to hinge on it. but they were in pvp to the poor guy who got hit by one.
  • Options
    darkdog13darkdog13 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My problem with the SIC console was it was a total slap in the face to science abilities since it was like a super GW+old VM effect (both of which are now near useless for science even in pve)

How did they ever think it was a good idea to put this in game oh that right people spent money on keys to get it...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    They haven't "ruined it for PvE with their bratty whining" - There were plenty of people on both sides (PvE and PvP) that knew this console couldn't stay in its current state, it was too powerful.

It's way better than any lobi console, it's dirt cheap and extremely common.

Keeping it as it was would be BAD FOR THE GAME. I don't understand how people don't see that. It's not like they are nerfing your favourite toy, they are nerfing a brand new items which evidently had no QA done on it.

You made it pretty clear that you don't like PvP, or PvPers, so it was a logical assumption that you don't spend much time in the PvP Subforum....

It was my favorite toy, Q_Q. It worked great with gravity well in particular because NPCs couldn't escape it like they sometimes do.

To clarify, I do pvp myself every once in a while myself but I play mostly PVE. And now that I think about it, it's an ok balance but it still stinks for sci players. Shame for us too because Cryptic could have balanced it fine by making it only useable on sci ships. I think they nerfed mostly because of tacs abusing it. Such a shame.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    looney1069looney1069 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Wow we have a cool console from a lockbox that is fun to use and a people whine and complain about it and it gets nerfed this is like call of duty . nerf it so the loudest complainers get what they want. While the rest of the players are left to suffer.
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,846 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    how did we ruin it?

Here:
    We will be bringing down the Tribble server for maintenance to apply a new update: ST.31.20130803a.10

General
    • Updates have been made to the Subspace Integration Circuit console.
      • The damage dealt by the rupture's collapse has been increased by about 25%.
      • The flight speed reduction value has been decreased from -83.33% to -80.00%.
      • The flight speed reduction now takes all of a target's resistances into account when calculating the magnitude.
      • The "Disable" component has been replaced with a "Weapons Offline" mode, while within the subspace hazard.
    • The occasional crash to desktop while using Gateway has been fixed.

Known Issue
    • The text of the Subspace Integration Circuit console still mentions it uses Disable.

Its been nerfed seriously...next time the battle should be about getting more maps for PvPs (no change since inception) NOT about this console...pick your battles more strategically...this is FAR from the I WIN button you always scared about and now PvP will be get a bad connotation...players would abandon even more than before...sad day
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I for one love the changes. It will work better in pve than it did before because spheres with epte3 will now get the full speed debuff and most enemy ships don't use skills anyways so having weapons offline will be a big boost :)
  • Options
    logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    how did we ruin it?

Here:

Its been nerfed seriously...next time the battle should be about getting more maps for PvPs (no change since inception) NOT about this console...pick your battles more strategically...this is FAR from the I WIN button you always scared about and now PvP will be get a bad connotation...players would abandon even more than before...sad day

That is akin to saying, the next case the homicide unit should investigate is the one where the woman accidentally backed over the child who was riding his bike on the sidewalk. We'll deal with the serial killer's murder victim later.

New maps for PvP would be great, but they would be a minor and largely cosmetic addition, like plastic surgery. The new console was by contrast a gaping, bleeding wound that seriously disrupted PvP balance.
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2013
    Can we please put a stop to this worthless "PvP vs. PvE" hot air that's being spewed back and forth on these forums lately? It is completely worthless to ongoing discussion, and the raised tempers are causing flaming and trolling to take over conversations that could otherwise be considered worthwhile feedback. This will (and already has) result in warnings and/or forum bans. Continuing with these attitudes does not serve you - the Community - any more than it serves us Devs.

Here's a simple truth: Both PvP and PvE systems exist in Star Trek Online, and therefore both systems will be supported by the Developers to the best of our abilities.

As for the console specifically - it was changed because it was not meeting its intended functionality, and exceeding its intended performance when used in this unintended manner.

The Subspace Rupture ability was designed around the notion of removing a target from an ongoing fight, to be dealt with at a later point in time. This is why we used a Perception debuff instead of a simple Hold or Placate - so that the afflicted target can't even heal their teammates while stuck in the hazard. They are completely removed from the conflict, unless they escape.

Instead, this ability was being used basically as a "Hold still while I destroy you, and you have no recourse" manuever. To make matters worse, using the console in this unintended manner was extremely effective - far more so than originally anticipated, or designed for. Since this usage didn't match the ability's original design, and exceeded our design intentions, it had to be modified to more closely resemble the console's original intent and bring its usage back in line.

I challenge you to try out the changes on Tribble, and leave feedback regarding the updated functionality. If this console feels as though its usefulness against NPC enemies is significantly altered or reduced, I'd like to hear about the in-game scenarios you encountered which led you to those conclusions.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Can we please put a stop to this worthless "PvP vs. PvE" hot air that's being spewed back and forth on these forums lately? It is completely worthless to ongoing discussion, and the raised tempers are causing flaming and trolling to take over conversations that could otherwise be considered worthwhile feedback. This will (and already has) result in warnings and/or forum bans. Continuing with these attitudes does not serve you - the Community - any more than it serves us Devs.

Here's a simple truth: Both PvP and PvE systems exist in Star Trek Online, and therefore both systems will be supported by the Developers to the best of our abilities.

As for the console specifically - it was changed because it was not meeting its intended functionality, and exceeding its intended performance when used in this unintended manner.

The Subspace Rupture ability was designed around the notion of removing a target from an ongoing fight, to be dealt with at a later point in time. This is why we used a Perception debuff instead of a simple Hold or Placate - so that the afflicted target can't even heal their teammates while stuck in the hazard. They are completely removed from the conflict, unless they escape.

Instead, this ability was being used basically as a "Hold still while I destroy you, and you have no recourse" manuever. To make matters worse, using the console in this unintended manner was extremely effective - far more so than originally anticipated, or designed for. Since this usage didn't match the ability's original design, and exceeded our design intentions, it had to be modified to more closely resemble the console's original intent and bring its usage back in line.

I challenge you to try out the changes on Tribble, and leave feedback regarding the updated functionality. If this console feels as though its usefulness against NPC enemies is significantly altered or reduced, I'd like to hear about the in-game scenarios you encountered which led you to those conclusions.

It is good to hear (and see, since action speaks more loudly than words) that the development team is taking PvP feedback seriously. Sometimes it seems like PvP is ignored completely by the developers.
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Okay, just an incredibly crazy thought: If your intention was that it should remove enemies from the fight add a massive stealth buff. So the afflicted ships can't see beyond the rupture but can't be targeted from outside either.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,846 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Wow...now I can see how devs really take sides. If we are to remain neutral and just depend on pure OBJECTIVE feedback...how is it that some members that have "good" connections to DEVS (I wont say the E word- for respect and sanctioning) suddenly cry foul for something so insignificant as a console while lots of countless of people who ask about a fix (for instance Tour of the galaxy which had over 100 pages of feedback click here-we even come up with a GREAT solution) yet those voices were shrugged off in favor for the few as in this case with the console. This is a double standard and you should not play sides when it comes to RECEPTIVE feedback.

If you are fixing exploits to make players suffer do it across the board rather than choose sides. Feedback is feedback no matter where it comes. Just being objective.
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It is good to hear (and see, since action speaks more loudly than words) that the development team is taking PvP feedback seriously. Sometimes it seems like PvP is ignored completely by the developers.

You'll never get an intended effect at the start. There are always multiple scenarios. I see now there wasan oversight by the devs. If it was intended for taking one out of the fight. Why did you not make the person untargetable?
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

You know what? That was out of line. Depending on the mood of the moderators, such a tone might get a normal member a warning.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

i like the sound of that original purpose, the only thing the console was missing is not being able to target the person you used the console on, so it cant be used as a hold still while I destroy you device.

there wont be a significant reduction in npc usefulness, infact that boosted damage will make it better then ever in pve. if thats not plainly obvious to you, stop posting about it and making your self look dumb. you can use station powers wile the console is used on you. wow, big deal, considering NPCs have an average of 2 station powers, each having a cooldown smiler to the console you just used.
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    None of these are on the Exchange yet?

I take it Cryptic's "New Approach On Consoles" includes them being bound from the Lockbox and thus not sell-able in an attempt to generate moar Lockbox Key purchases?
  • Options
    ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Wait, people are upset about this change?

Updates have been made to the Subspace Integration Circuit console.

It got BUFFED!!

25% more damage, in an AoE!

This should be more awesome for PvE now!!

I was already sending NPCs on wave 9 and 10 of NWS into some hellish dimension and now I get to do more damage with this all at the cost of a disable that didn't do anything to NPCs anyway?

This, is awesome.
  • Options
    ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Bort I'm really sorry for all of the flak some people are tossing your way on this.

These changes seem like a really good compromise, that brings the item more in-line with the original design intent.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    hanover2 wrote: »
    You know what? That was out of line. Depending on the mood of the moderators, such a tone might get a normal member a warning.

The devs are the mods of the mods and what he said was perfectly civil. That being said, I wish pvp had a hardcore mode that disallowed the use of lock box/c store consoles. That way both the PVE and PVP crowd could get what it wanted.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Wait, people are upset about this change?

Updates have been made to the Subspace Integration Circuit console.

It got BUFFED!!

25% more damage, in an AoE!

This should be more awesome for PvE now!!

I was already sending NPCs on wave 9 and 10 of NWS into some hellish dimension and now I get to do more damage with this all at the cost of a disable that didn't do anything to NPCs anyway?

This, is awesome.

with how dumbed down the game is to cater to those that use their ship to 10% of its potentate, about 60% of players, i guess there should be no surprise at the insane reactions they have to changes that actually benefit them.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Can we please put a stop to this worthless "PvP vs. PvE" hot air that's being spewed back and forth on these forums lately?

Got any liquid nitrogen? :cool:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Wow...now I can see how devs really take sides. If we are to remain neutral and just depend on pure OBJECTIVE feedback...how is it that some members that have "good" connections to DEVS (I wont say the E word- for respect and sanctioning) suddenly cry foul for something so insignificant as a console while lots of countless of people who ask about a fix (for instance Tour of the galaxy which had over 100 pages of feedback click here-we even come up with a GREAT solution) yet those voices were shrugged off in favor for the few as in this case with the console

Because some people understand game mechanics, and others don't. 100+ pages of people saying "I don't like this change it hurts my wallet" isn't useful. Tour had to be curbed, as to vendor prices (expect this!) because it was generating far too much EC.

The Tour nerf (IMHO) was a start to trying to curb inflation which has been rife in this game for a long time.

It wasn't "100 pages of feedback" it was 90 pages of complaining, and 10 pages of feedback. I'm being generous.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.