Comments

• Options
    helixfungushelixfungus Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Review of
    Infinite Shift
    by Intuitive_Aptitude

So I unleashed my romulan alleged fed on this one ---
    Good but overlong. I rather hate those romulan interiors look anteceding the new rom implements of season 7... but good plot. I wish less combat, and a more story oriented one, but that's me---

I' ll cut short some parts (2 satellites to deploy instead of 3, less enemies and so on)

Here' s my trade

mission title: The City On the Edge of Hope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Kusk-9MGDEM

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b568/Mario_Zorzi/cityontheedgeofhope_zps1604c749.png

author: helixfungus

minimum level: any

allegiance: federation

project ID: ST-HF2U9QZ8D

estimated time: 30 min+

door: earth space dock

You will be dispatched to furnish security detail on a planet, Ketrana,former Cardassian colony, where a peace conference with the Tholians is to be held. That choice of place is not wise, and made solely because an extraordinary female bolian mediator, Tara Davell, lives there and refuse all kind of technologies like shuttle, space travel or teleport. Plus, there are two opposing native races living on Ketrana, one one the surface, nurtured by Cardassian colonists, one underground...these ones possess a secret that can literally shift the balance of power in the universe.
    What could go wrong in a place like this...? EVERYTHING...

Doesn't qualify for rewards yet, but you get tons of fun.

Currently you have to be a reviewer (foundry browser/click become reviewer tab) to the hailing tab.
  • Options
    zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    Overall really fun mission! I quite enjoyed the carious movie references, the game play was a blast - battles were challenging but not overwhelming.

Over all, I really had a blast. The only things I found were a few typos and buttons not labeled correctly.

After the 1st True Way attack in the Badlands the officer says "I'm prepare a shuttle" I am assuming that is meant to be either I'll prepare or I'm preparing.

On the True Way station where you scan the shuttle, there are several crates to be scanned. The button simply says 'interact'.

When we beam the food crate to the mess hall, there's no beam-out animation. Was this intentional?

After the final battle with the True Way, before we warp out, there's a visible object which reads "launch the shuttle". I flew up to it and the button said 'interact' but there was no animation and no real reason for it to be there...

That's it. Nice plug, putting yourself in the mission dialogue LOL And yes, I stayed for the credits...

:D

Thanks!

RE: typos, grammar .... thanks I always have way too many in my missions, I'll fix those up

RE: Food crate I couldn't figure out how to do the beaming thing when I first did it but I'm a better author now I'll see if I can figure something out ;)

Re: launch the shuttle, oops that's a leftover from the original version which ended quite differently, I'll get rid of it
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    zorbane wrote: »
    Ah if I didn't actually put anything for a map its because I just didn't put anything down in my notes.

BTW I forgot to include another issue that I had overall, in that I felt like I didn't really do much. I did a lot of flying between places and talking to people but the only action I had was blowing up the fighters and scanning for the ship.

To be honest, that was partly intentional. As I said in response to another review, the mission was heavily inspired by 'For the Uniform', but the way I wrote the mission itself was more in the vein of a TNG episode. I probably should mention that there is very little combat in the mission, but a thought by putting 'story heavy' in the description I was doing the same thing.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »
    To be honest, that was partly intentional. As I said in response to another review, the mission was heavily inspired by 'For the Uniform', but the way I wrote the mission itself was more in the vein of a TNG episode. I probably should mention that there is very little combat in the mission, but a thought by putting 'story heavy' in the description I was doing the same thing.

Oh yeah definitely I felt those vibes as I was playing.
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yeah--I was afraid of something like that. It really jumped out at me when it happened because Tok was onscreen when I was reading the dialog, and I took the time to read through the dialog.

I'm not really sure what you can do to fix it--a thought that occurs to me is--what about having Demond move just a little way away when the dialog comes up, and adding a reach marker between him and the player? Have Tok beam out when you cross the reach marker. I'm not sure if you can get it to work this way, though--it could introduce a new problem, so be careful.

Another thought--instead of one dialog with a lot of text, how about two dialogs--the first with most of the text, the second, where Tok beams out, with little more than Tok proclaiming he's beaming out? Again, there could be a new problem introduced--so be careful.

I hope that helps. It sounds like this could be a little troublesome. With everyone there in such close proximity, it might prove a bit difficult to work it the way you want. I know it would drive me nuts to have this problem and try to find a way to fix it--it's just one little detail, but kinda like that splinter that gets stuck under your thumbnail. Good luck.

Yes, it is a splinter for sure....

I thought about breaking up the dialogue and using the second dialogue prompt to kick the beam out (perhaps after the tactical officer warns you of other Cardassians beaming in)... but that raises the issue of Tok and the Gorn disappearing when the first dialogue text is complete only to reappear and beam out with a lag between…

I think I’ll leave it for now and complete my second foundry ‘The Rise of the Red Eclipse’… but you’re absolutely right – it will bug me. Most probably I will create a test mission that won’t be published and work the bugs out of that particular issue…

I’ve promised you a review of ‘The Devil's Playground’. I’m looking forward to giving it a go as soon as I can. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Thanks!

RE: typos, grammar .... thanks I always have way too many in my missions, I'll fix those up

RE: Food crate I couldn't figure out how to do the beaming thing when I first did it but I'm a better author now I'll see if I can figure something out ;)

Re: launch the shuttle, oops that's a leftover from the original version which ended quite differently, I'll get rid of it

Glad I could help! Like I said, it was fun… what I thought was funny is I actually disintegrated the Bulk in the end and there was a slight lag.. I thought ‘oh TRIBBLE, did I just break this?’ lol

As for the crate animation… trust me, I hate trying to time beam-outs… the ONLY way I can think of making it happen is create two crates with the exact same X/Y cords… have one disappear at the end of the text and have the new one reappear essentially at the same time with the beam out-object animation. That MAY work… or, alternatively, leave it as it is and allow the player to use their imagination. It’s not broken so you don’t necessarily have to ‘fix’ it, you know?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sarek93sarek93 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The Dogs of War by pbau3993

A polished and technically well done mission. However while the story has an interesting concept I do not agree with how it developed. It basically had me rip apart the prime directive and not only that but “willingly” murder people that I have no business fighting. I had a very uncomfortable feeling as I walked about shooting people in the face because they decided to have a revolution which I knew very little about. Even with the ship held hostage I felt there had to be a better alternative (or just give up the ship even).

Otherwise the mission was polished, few technical issues and no spelling errors that I saw. One issue I had (which you will see repeated over and over in the details) is that most of the time your maps were very very quick. Pop in talk to a guy (maybe scan some stuff) then change maps. It’s quite immersion breaking to be spending more time loading maps than playing the actual mission. Try to keep the maps to a minimum. After the details I’ll put an example of how this whole mission could have been condensed into a single map!

In the end I gave this a 3 stars out of 5, primarily because of the issues I had with the story.

Details:

Map - Omanus
    Nice briefing (Optional!)
    However this is a short map, you show up and then talk a bit and beam down

Map - Oma
    When the Supreme Leader welcomes me he calls me [Rank] [FirstName] [LastName]. My character only has a last name (Zorbane) so he calls me Vice Admiral Zorbane Zorbane. Kind of silly and a Cryptic issue but its something to keep in mind…I personally stay away from putting first and last name together for this reason.
    Nitpick : I thoguht it was kinda weird that they have more powerful weapons than the Federation
    Interesting planetary defense asset. What is it?
    Kind of a quick map again. Talk to the Supreme Leader, scan the weapons and change map

Map - Omanus
    Quick map again

Map - Oma
    Quick map again (talk to a dude and its over)

Map - Omanian Coast
    This is a huge violation of the prime directive helping this dude shoot people. I know he’s taking my ship hostage and all but I’m killing people for him

Map - Oma
    pathing issues boff got stuck in a wall
    I’m a murderer!!!!

Outline of rewritten version
    THIS SECTION CONTAINS SPOILERS
    Accept Mission
    Pre-entry dialogue box which includes the optional information
    Arrive at star system, contact Brulia(?)
    Map Transition
    Beam down to meet her and become rudely interrupted by Supreme Leader
    Chat with Supreme Leader about why he’s so cool
    Brulia says they have a meet so they leave, and Leader says he’ll contact you when he’s free
    Wander around, scan the planetayr weaopns, talk to random people
    Suddenly contacted by ship “There’s weapons fire oh no! It’s over *there*”
    Player runs to that area and talks to witnesses, and gets forced to attack Brulia
    Player runs off to where the revolutionists are holed up (this map is big they can be on the far side or something), fights them and wins
    Run back to the city and talk to the NPCs. They argue and you have to go in and clear out the city.
    The End

Note: Spoilers Below

I can see your point on the story line. It depends on the choices you make whether you willingly disobey the prime directive or not. In most of the choices, they turn their planetary defense weapons on your ship and basically force you to help them or they will blow up your ship, so it's not exactly "willing". Another option sees you being told by Starfleet that you have to help them cause UFP wants the weapons. Basically it's a Romans in space type of society, where there military tech is superb but other areas are lacking.
    "Insufficient facts always invite danger." - Spock
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    "Map - Oma
    pathing issues boff got stuck in a wall
    I’m a murderer!!!!"

LMFAO!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Author: ashkrik23
    Mission: Perfection, part 1

A good load of ground and space battle... all well conceived, I liked the most the first borg ground battle, a bit overlong for the sake of the story. The space ones are ok too... the ESD Borg occupied... the only thing that grinds is the overall story... I suspect you are doing a sort of Battlestar Galactica plot... its not Star Trek and I cannot play the second part if its not Star Trek

plus, I have to say more little things:

The animation on the final borg cubes (the warp-in) is screwed up, I suspect you have to change from "long" in duration to... shorter.

Maybe you should call "Borg Diamond" s those ships and not simply "diamonds"

And you should change the backdrop of the final space battle (the ESD space one) because its the same as the map before, and it was another distant area of space.

I gave 3 stars to it.

Very enjoyable from a gamer POV, but frankly overlong AND the story recalls too much BG

For the change I propose this:

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b568/Mario_Zorzi/cityontheedgeofhope_zps1604c749.png

mission title: The City On the Edge of Hope

minimum level: any

allegiance: federation

project ID: ST-HF2U9QZ8D

estimated time: 30 min+

door: earth space dock

You will be dispatched to furnish security detail on a planet, Ketrana,former Cardassian colony, where a peace conference with the Tholians is to be held. That choice of place is not wise, and made solely because an extraordinary female bolian mediator, Tara Davell, lives there and refuse all kind of technologies like shuttle, space travel or teleport. Plus, there are two opposing native races living on Ketrana, one one the surface, nurtured by Cardassian colonists, one underground...these ones possess a secret that can literally shift the balance of power in the universe.
    What could go wrong in a place like this...? EVERYTHING...

Doesn't qualify for rewards yet, but you get tons of fun.

Currently you have to be a reviewer (foundry browser/click become reviewer tab) to the hailing tab.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    edit . nvm
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Author: ashkrik23
    Mission: Perfection, part 1

A good load of ground and space battle... all well conceived, I liked the most the first borg ground battle, a bit overlong for the sake of the story. The space ones are ok too... the ESD Borg occupied... the only thing that grinds is the overall story... I suspect you are doing a sort of Battlestar Galactica plot... its not Star Trek and I cannot play the second part if its not Star Trek

plus, I have to say more little things:

The animation on the final borg cubes (the warp-in) is screwed up, I suspect you have to change from "long" in duration to... shorter.

Maybe you should call "Borg Diamond" s those ships and not simply "diamonds"

And you should change the backdrop of the final space battle (the ESD space one) because its the same as the map before, and it was another distant area of space.

I gave 3 stars to it.

Very enjoyable from a gamer POV, but frankly overlong AND the story recalls too much BG

For the change I propose this:

Hi, thank you for playing! I have never even seen Battlstar Galactica so I have no idea how that relates to this mission. This mission suffers from some rookie mistakes I made but I assure you part 2 will be much better. I hope you will consider playing it one day.

I will take your suggestions into consideration.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Mission Name: Honor of Orions

Faction: KDF

Author: sirboulevard

Time: Roughly 30 - 45 minutes based on Load Times

Description: Sequel to Honor of Ferasa.

Three weeks after the Shiassi incident on Ferasa, you are called back to Qo'nos at the request of Ambassador S'taass. Has the smoke cleared from that dark hour? Or has the darkness just started to move in?

And I will be reviewing Scars of the Pride Pt1 in exchange.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Hello everyone!

Brief reminder how this thread works.

You post your mission AND you post a review of a mission on the mission list (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=11749701&postcount=2). Once your review is up I will add your mission to the list. I'll also play your mission eventually as I go through the list in order of missions that were added.

I'd also appreciate it if people played the missions of the person who reviewed theirs. First of all its polite to reciprocate ;). Also it helps people get more feedback and expand their knowledge of ways to use the Foundry.

Thanks,
    Management
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
  • Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Scars of the Pride 1:

A very good story building on the hostility of Ferasan and Caitians. The use of the Hathon map was nice, although Ashkrik, I would consider some minor redesign on the more obviously sticking out points to integrate better for aesthetic reasons.

I loved the build on from Perfection and the fallout from that incident.

The Ferasan safehouse was alot of fun to playthrough and has actually influenced me in creating a new map for a future mission of mine.

The sickbay for the USS Simba lacks a door by the way. Thats one secure sickbay :P

As for the story, very tightly focused, loved it way more than Perfection.

4/5 from me, lost points for some rough maps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I am not sure how to make some of those walls in Hathon better looking. I have been meaning to update a door for that sickbay.

Thank you!
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    My initial reaction after playing this through was that it was fun. Really fun.

A well-built mission with a little tongue-in-cheek feel to it and a little creepy (who knew being crazy could look so fun!)

The only "issue" I had with it was the space battle at the end seeming somewhat overwhelming... but that may have more to do with the fact I am a science officer, not tactical... therefore I may have been a bit underpowered... after 3-4 deaths I finally managed to muddle through. It didn't ruin my overall feel for the mission but I thought it was worth bringing up in the review.

Now, for the details:

In the first map, the bridge officer seems to duplicate dialogue by saying the exact phrase 'The Borg presence seems limited'.

2nd map: planetside: a very short but pretty map. I do like that you give the player the opportunity to either fight or avoid combat.

Research Facility: When examining the epoh I was looking for the 'examine' button, then realized there was none. That all you had to do was walk up to it and it was a success. Believe it or not, I was a little let down that I didn't actually get to interact.

After this, when you encounter the slave girls, the turbolift button reads 'Go to next map'.

Lvl 3: after closing the portal the door to leave seems very out of place. Was this intentional or is there perhaps a better placement for it?

Final map: when I chose the 'no more death' option the Fek'lhr's costume changes.

Overall, I gave it 4 stars. For me that's pretty high. I rarely, if ever, give out 5 or 1 stars. The mission either has to be SO Spectacular or SO horrible to earn those, so 4 is a very good score. :)

Again, thanks for playing "The Once and Future King' and thanks for posting your mission.

On a side note: I had enough fun when playing it that I told my fleetmates to check it out as well. However, I warned them that they will never see epohs as cute again.

Now, I have finally completed the (hopefully) first of a three part series, ‘The Red Eclipse’.

The first instalment, up and ready for review, is entitled ‘The Rise of the Red Eclipse’.

Synopsis: In the recent years, strong anti-Federation sentiment has begun to sweep through the colonies and allied systems, adding tensions to bordering settlements along the DMZ and increased friction between the Federation, Klingon and Romulan powers. With the hope of trying to once again bring peace between the Klingons and the Federation, Vice Admiral Jameson has completed a well-hidden neutral station and has invited dignitaries from the Klingon and Romulan Empires, Cardassia, the Orion Syndicate, the Ferengi Alliance and a new addition to the Federation, a Celestisan Consulate. Only the Remans declined the invitation, but they have asked for a proxy to stand in their place instead. This is where YOU come in.

Everything seems to be going well (as well as ambassadorial negations go) until the terrorist organization called The Red Eclipse makes an unexpected visit. Now you have to not only locate and rescue the dignitaries but stop an all-out war driven by a madman with a nefarious plot hellbent on destroying the Federation at all costs.

Starfleet 35+

Story-driven and dialogue heavy with little space combat/heavy ground combat.

Would love any feedback =)

PS: I hope you like trivia! Just sayin....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I recently reviewed The Devil's Playground as part of my review thread.

Noro system: No major issues spotted here. Very simple map with few objectives. I suggest adding some asteroids and other space details just to add something to the map.

Colony Remains: Nothing major to note. Everything is solid.

Research Facility: You can tell something isn't right when you first step in. No, I will not find that man's Fek'lhri. Nice use of the fek'lhri fire making the console appear. Clever use of beam in triggers throughout the facility. This place is kinda freaky.

Deeper into the facility: Nothing major to note in terms of errors.

Control Room: I suggest moving the spawn point further back or put up an invisible wall to keep the enemies from swarming the player before they load. You can make the invisible wall drop after reaching a reach market.

On the way out: This map only has one objective and could be deleted to shorten loading times for the player. It is up to you though.

To the transporter: This map could also be taken out for the same reasons listed in the previous map.

Leaving Noro: Lots of combat, good place for Fek'lhri space accolades. Option to skip is good.

This was a nice little mission with a direction I didn't expect. There isn't anything major in terms of clever foundry tricks but the triggers done in the facility were a good touch. 5/5, thanks for making it .

I would like to add my mission to the list.

Scars of the Pride Pt 2:The Claw
    Synopsis: It has been three days since the attack on Bajor. You and your crew have completed your leave time while waiting for Admiral Taka to contact you with the results of M'Kiara's study of the toxin Captain T'Vitani used on herself. A new breakthrough with the Borg medical technology could serve as something to adapt against this toxin. Someone else has their eyes on this device though, and for the wrong reasons...The toxin's true effects are about to be witnessed, Not even the U.S.S. Simba will be safe from this threat. Report to the Lateri System in the Beta Ursae sector block.

Fed side, level 16+. Enemies may be somewhat difficult, be prepared for a lot of psi damage.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Actually, ‘The Rise of the Red Eclipse' is down at the moment.

I don't know why, but the place marker at the staiton had reset to a 0km, making it impossible to go any further in the misison. Fixed that.

Secondly, during an edit my screne suddenly flashed with red squiggles, froze, then my computer shut down. I tried logging back in and it happened again in the STO character select page... in fact, I can't get PAST that page... it only happens when I attempt to enter STO so I am pretty sure it isn't my graphics card (Nvidia GeForce 8800GT)... I've unintalled ARC and the game, will reinstall this evening but has anyone else encountered anything like this?

EDIT: It seems to be my card... buggar! Well that's potentially another $300 down the drian...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Review of In the Shadows of Oppression by Sorroway

A good mission which is extremely polished and has some very nice map work. The story itself is strong and I enjoyed it however I felt like it was a bit disjointed and did not flow. It’s hard to put my finger on exactly what I mean but it felt like there was a lot of “this is happening, ok it’s done now that is happening”. Sorry I can’t get more specific than that. I also had an issue with the way combat was done. It’s very old school Cryptic where the bad guys will sit around waiting for you to kill them. One blatant example is when you enter the dimensional pocket and your boff says “the breen are on an intercept course!” then they sit not only super far away from the player but very far apart from each other as well. Same with the ground NPCs. Also its important to not be afraid to overlap groups. 1 cruiser plus a 1 frigate group is a lot more fun than fighting 1 cruiser group and then fighting a frigate group separately. I do go through some of these instances in detail in the “details” section. Overall I gave Shadows of Oppression a 4 out of 5 stars.

Map - Havroun System
    Very very nice map (sniff again another nice space map why can’t I do this)
    Scan 5 asteroids is a very Cryptic objective but its really boring. Think to yourself. How does this add to the story? If you really wanted an aspect of “scanning for the ship” why not just one or two scans for the entire system?
    Typo - Talking to Reman Leader “I am afraid your U.S.S. Patton disappeard in one of these pocket dimensions” (disappeard/disappeared)

Map - Havroun II Colony
    Nice map design, it looks legitimately like an old destroyed colony
    Nice “jumping puzzle” Not really a puzzle as its not too hard but its adds a variety to your mission
    IMO the objective “Climb rocks” is unnecessary. I actually made it to the array and then saw the reach objective was behind me. Just having the “get to the array” objective after the boff tells you how to get there is enough.
    Kind of immersion breaking to have the spiders magically appear when i reached the array. I understand its a side effect of how kill object mob groups show up but it was still distracting. In my mind I was like “what...what creature I don’t see anything” and then suddenly they spawn. What you could do is not have the kill objective but leave the spiders mob so they're always there. The player is going to have to kill the spiders regardless to activate the array

Map - Reman Colony Sublevel 27
    I like what you’ve done to the interior
    Typo - Talking to Tora after fighting devidians “The other parts of the colony are not save yet” (save/safe)

Map - Reman Colony Sublevel 53
    Typo - Taking to rescued scientists “Would you be so kind to safe our research?” (safe/save)
    The map once again is really well done

Map - Havroun Pocket Dimension
    Kinda weird dialogue officer: “the breen are coming” me: “good”. Good its time to fight? sounds more like a klingony thing to say than Federation. I actually expected to enter dialogue with the breen in an attempt to escape from the subspace pocket. I odn’t know if it makes sense either from the breen point of view “oh TRIBBLE we’ve been sucked into this weird dimension time to blow up the first ship we see that shows up”

Map - Tal Shiar Station
    There was a couple typos in the first dialogue when freeing the Devidians, I forgot to write down what they were
    Typo - button “transport to the command level” (capital T)
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
  • Options
    sorrowaysorroway Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Review of In the Shadows of Oppression by Sorroway

A good mission which is extremely polished and has some very nice map work. The story itself is strong and I enjoyed it however I felt like it was a bit disjointed and did not flow. It’s hard to put my finger on exactly what I mean but it felt like there was a lot of “this is happening, ok it’s done now that is happening”. Sorry I can’t get more specific than that. I also had an issue with the way combat was done. It’s very old school Cryptic where the bad guys will sit around waiting for you to kill them. One blatant example is when you enter the dimensional pocket and your boff says “the breen are on an intercept course!” then they sit not only super far away from the player but very far apart from each other as well. Same with the ground NPCs. Also its important to not be afraid to overlap groups. 1 cruiser plus a 1 frigate group is a lot more fun than fighting 1 cruiser group and then fighting a frigate group separately. I do go through some of these instances in detail in the “details” section. Overall I gave Shadows of Oppression a 4 out of 5 stars.

Map - Havroun System
    Very very nice map (sniff again another nice space map why can’t I do this)
    Scan 5 asteroids is a very Cryptic objective but its really boring. Think to yourself. How does this add to the story? If you really wanted an aspect of “scanning for the ship” why not just one or two scans for the entire system?
    Typo - Talking to Reman Leader “I am afraid your U.S.S. Patton disappeard in one of these pocket dimensions” (disappeard/disappeared)

Map - Havroun II Colony
    Nice map design, it looks legitimately like an old destroyed colony
    Nice “jumping puzzle” Not really a puzzle as its not too hard but its adds a variety to your mission
    IMO the objective “Climb rocks” is unnecessary. I actually made it to the array and then saw the reach objective was behind me. Just having the “get to the array” objective after the boff tells you how to get there is enough.
    Kind of immersion breaking to have the spiders magically appear when i reached the array. I understand its a side effect of how kill object mob groups show up but it was still distracting. In my mind I was like “what...what creature I don’t see anything” and then suddenly they spawn. What you could do is not have the kill objective but leave the spiders mob so they're always there. The player is going to have to kill the spiders regardless to activate the array

Map - Reman Colony Sublevel 27
    I like what you’ve done to the interior
    Typo - Talking to Tora after fighting devidians “The other parts of the colony are not save yet” (save/safe)

Map - Reman Colony Sublevel 53
    Typo - Taking to rescued scientists “Would you be so kind to safe our research?” (safe/save)
    The map once again is really well done

Map - Havroun Pocket Dimension
    Kinda weird dialogue officer: “the breen are coming” me: “good”. Good its time to fight? sounds more like a klingony thing to say than Federation. I actually expected to enter dialogue with the breen in an attempt to escape from the subspace pocket. I odn’t know if it makes sense either from the breen point of view “oh TRIBBLE we’ve been sucked into this weird dimension time to blow up the first ship we see that shows up”

Map - Tal Shiar Station
    There was a couple typos in the first dialogue when freeing the Devidians, I forgot to write down what they were
    Typo - button “transport to the command level” (capital T)

Many thanks for your review! :)

I had some free time this morning and I've already updated the mission.
    Thanks for the tip with the ice spiders near the array, I removed the kill objective. I also added patrol animations to a large number of enemy squads, both space and ground. I also lowered the number of asteroids you have to scan on the first map.

You were completely right, the dialog in the Havroun Pocket Dimension map was weird. I changed the initial dialog and added some more. I also repositioned almost everything on the map and added another point of interest. I also changed the fights according to your suggestions.

Finally, I fixed all the typo's you and Prierin pointed out and changed some other minor flaws.
  • Options
    confedinblueconfedinblue Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    My initial reaction after playing this through was that it was fun. Really fun.

A well-built mission with a little tongue-in-cheek feel to it and a little creepy (who knew being crazy could look so fun!)

The only "issue" I had with it was the space battle at the end seeming somewhat overwhelming... but that may have more to do with the fact I am a science officer, not tactical... therefore I may have been a bit underpowered... after 3-4 deaths I finally managed to muddle through. It didn't ruin my overall feel for the mission but I thought it was worth bringing up in the review.

Now, for the details:

In the first map, the bridge officer seems to duplicate dialogue by saying the exact phrase 'The Borg presence seems limited'.

2nd map: planetside: a very short but pretty map. I do like that you give the player the opportunity to either fight or avoid combat.

Research Facility: When examining the epoh I was looking for the 'examine' button, then realized there was none. That all you had to do was walk up to it and it was a success. Believe it or not, I was a little let down that I didn't actually get to interact.

After this, when you encounter the slave girls, the turbolift button reads 'Go to next map'.

Lvl 3: after closing the portal the door to leave seems very out of place. Was this intentional or is there perhaps a better placement for it?

Final map: when I chose the 'no more death' option the Fek'lhr's costume changes.

Overall, I gave it 4 stars. For me that's pretty high. I rarely, if ever, give out 5 or 1 stars. The mission either has to be SO Spectacular or SO horrible to earn those, so 4 is a very good score. :)

Again, thanks for playing "The Once and Future King' and thanks for posting your mission.

On a side note: I had enough fun when playing it that I told my fleetmates to check it out as well. However, I warned them that they will never see epohs as cute again.

Thanks for the review--and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Fun was what I was after on this. You've given me some ideas--and my runthrough last night teamed up with @P_Sutherland gave me some more. I found that I think the mission is a lot more fun running with a team.

The purpose of that "Examine Epohh" was nothing more than to get you and your Boffs further into the room--so that the next thing comes as more of a surprise. Originally, those enemies would just get the jump on you, and you wouldn't have a chance to see them feasting on the bodies. But, I think I'll mull it around a bit--I think I can come up with something to add there for interaction.

Don't know how I missed that "go to next map" message--I'll dig into that.

When I followed P_Sutherland around--he (she?) didn't go into all the rooms at the facility entrance where I had little Easter eggs (kind of a downer--there were lots of little things to mess with your mind). So I'll be adding little triggers to force you to fully explore the facility on the "Explore" step.

On that first ground map I did add the actual portal that you can interact with (previously there was no visual for it anywhere). But again, P_Sutherland completely missed it last night (I put it kind of off to the side, intentionally barely noticeable, and only visible as you approach the hut)--I apparently was a little too subtle with it, so I'm going to relocate it to a place that's a bit more obvious.

The costume change on Fek'lhr was an oversight--I think the first one is probably the incorrect one. When I had first selected the one I wanted, strange white blobs appeared in front of him in the editor, and I was concerned that would show through in the published result. I'll try putting it back to the one I want and double-check it.

I'll also double-check that initial bridge officer's dialog--he shouldn't be repetitive.

When I ran through it last night with P_Sutherland, I thought the control room lacked the challenge I was seeking--seemed to go a bit quicker than I thought it would. When I first set this up, that's where I had a massive overkill of enemies that created a total player wipeout (at that time--I only had about 5 seconds between respawns to cause damage). I've got a few neutral groups there (biters) to help control the flow of the enemies--I'm thinking of pulling one or two of those neutral groups out.

I designed that final space battle to be a challenge to me. My Fed sci captain is level 50 and my ship is also sci, but I'm heavy with gravity wells. That's why the enemies are a bit spread out--to defend against gravity wells. I did run through it with my level 50 tac Romulan with that new Solanae giveaway ship--and he had a rough time of it. Never had more than a handful at one time--but they just kept coming. As soon as I got down to one or two--another wave would be on top of me. It was the kind of challenge I was looking for.

Finally, the one map where you check the computer logs is rather empty--I came up with an idea what to do about it--so I think I have a pretty good puzzle I'm going to add there--something that should mess with your head some more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    logitech007logitech007 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hey are, here are my 3 missions from my The unexpected returns series.
    I hope you guys all enjoy the missions, some of the story is carried over from my pervious missions so once again I hope you guys enjoy them all. If you have any issues please feel free to in game mail me.

Thanks. Logitech007.
    Name: The Unexpected Return Part One
    Author: Logitech007
    Allegiance: Starfleet
    ID: ST-HBSU3YYKC
    level: 16+
    Story: After repairing your vessel at Utopia following the Fvain conflicts, Admiral Mirren Sola has asked you to meet her on her flagship, U.S.S. Hood, she has a new assignment for you and your vessel. During the course of the mission, two unexpected return that may cause problems not only for the Federation but for the entire quadrant. Are the two unexpected here for the good or the bad and are they related?
    Starting Location: Turbolift by Admiral Quinn's office on Earth space dock.
    Name: The Unexpected Return Part Two
    ID: ST-HCHMV3CNC
    Story: Following a 50 year absence the Tzenkethi are back with disastrous consequences, the Tzenkethi are back. What do the Tzenkethi want? Trapped behind enemy lines you must forge unlikely alliances with former enemies in order to escape the Tzenkethi and return to Federation space. It is up to you and your team whether or not you survive this encounter with the evil that has returned.
    Starting Location: Wall console just outside of the Transporter room on Earth space dock.
    Name: The Unexpected Return Part Three
    ID:ST-HULT4LRKX
    Story: After the loss of Starbase 375 to the Tzenkethi forces, Starfleet and the Klingon Empire forces are on the run. Both Starfleet and the Klingon Empire are hard pressed to get Starbase 375 back and to take care of this new threat. How did the Tzenkethi forces manage to gain all of these vessels and facilities under the Federation and the Klingon Empire’s Knowledge? Do the Tzenkethi forces have support or are they alone? Will this be another Dominion war or will it not get that far? What will happen to the Tzenkethi? What will happen to the Klingon Empire? What will happen to the Federation?
    Starting Location: Wall console just outside of the Transporter room on Earth space dock.

Thank you all for taking the time to play my series.
    Logitech007
    Logitech007
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Hey logitech, once you've posted reviews for missions (I'll count one mission at a time when your review gets posted) I'll add them on the list

Thanks
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Hey all, here is the review of: A Time to search by lincoloninspace. 5 stars
    I really liked this mission, the custom maps were out standing and pretty great. The story was great everything was great.

Transwarp gate---Gamma Orionis map
    Loved the map.

Deep Space observatory deck 14 map
    Also loved this map and with the Garak character loved how he came back

Like I mentioned above this mission is filled with awesome map work from the maps listed above to the deep space map to both the Droxine city and rooftop maps to the dive bar map and the erstwhilev map. Everything about this mission was great.

My only suggest is when you tell the player to set and to denote the explosives, just have them step back before completed that task, try using invisible object.

But that was my only bad comment on this amazing mission.

Would recommend that you guys play it. gave it 5 stars
    Keep up the great work.

Thanks Logitech007
    Logitech007
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Hey, this is the review for Bait and switch by Starswordc
    I really enjoyed this mission. to be honest, the way the mission is written is interesting and pretty good. The maps are great. The combat of this mission is pretty good.

To be honest the only issue was the length but you know what, overall it was an outstanding mission that I liked and enjoyed.

Thank you keep up the great work.---5 stars

Tnak you Logitech007
    Logitech007
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Hey, here is my review for The Devils playground by Confedinblue, I liked the missions, got lost on the reaserch station, but found my way but its a pretty good mission. Loved the story and the maps.

Nothing wrong that I could see. Nice mission nice maps nice story. 4Stars.
    Keep up the great work.

Thanks
    Logitech007
    Logitech007
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hey all, here is the review of: A Time to search by lincoloninspace. 5 stars
    I really liked this mission, the custom maps were out standing and pretty great. The story was great everything was great.

Transwarp gate---Gamma Orionis map
    Loved the map.

Deep Space observatory deck 14 map
    Also loved this map and with the Garak character loved how he came back

Like I mentioned above this mission is filled with awesome map work from the maps listed above to the deep space map to both the Droxine city and rooftop maps to the dive bar map and the erstwhilev map. Everything about this mission was great.

My only suggest is when you tell the player to set and to denote the explosives, just have them step back before completed that task, try using invisible object.

But that was my only bad comment on this amazing mission.

Would recommend that you guys play it. gave it 5 stars
    Keep up the great work.

Thanks Logitech007

Thank you for the flattering review :D. I took on the challenge of trying to make a spotlight worthy mission my first time out of the gate. I have put a lot of time into it, revising and improving along the way.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I reviewed City on the edge of Hope by @helixfungus recently for my review thread.

De Soto's office: Some of your npcs have male and female and 1 after them. Should try replacing that. When the admiral says your rank, there is no space between the rank and your name in the dialogue.

Earth Spacedock: Some of the frigates are stuck with the warp in-animation. May want to remove it. This map only has one short objective and really would be fine if deleted. It will shorten the loading times for players. Up to you though.

Ketrana station: You should position your character to warp inside the warp travel SFX. Otherwise it messes up the intended effect. You should also change the interact button at the station from interact to something else.

Orbital Defense platform: Nothing major to note.

Ketrana orbital proximity: Nice touch with all of the ship names.

Tara's house: The epohhs should have their numbers removed. I like the world you made.

Suggest changing the interact button on the rock object.
    Cave system 1: Optional dialogue npcs are good.

City: Awesome custom map! Optional npcs are always good. Nice bridge you made here.

Space: Nothing major to note.

Orella: Nice custom building. Optional dialogue is always good. Ahaha, you have Ferasans here, you win bonus points hehe. Some of the npcs are sitting off their chairs, may want to adjust. You really did a nice job with the riot outside the window.

Riots: Nothing major to note.

Caves: Nothing major to note.

Main cave: Make a respawn point at the boss fight.

This mission is somewhat lengthy and contains a little of every kind of combat. Some of the maps are really awesome but there are some typos along with needed improvements. I suggest going through all dialogue and pasting it to word to find any of these typos. I also suggest changing the continue buttons to some kind of player response to add more immersion. I also suggest changing the various "interact" buttons to other messages that also add to the immersion. Good job .
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Ashkrik23... Thanks for the detailed review !

I will take note of every advice. In fact I consider your review here the first debug I ever made from another POV than myself... majorly overjoyed on this !

I have big problems troubleshooting my dialogue because I am italian, so I have access to MS word versions managing italian grammar only...

Aside from that, I will do my best to polish the mission after your advices. Thanks !!

So, I will play Perfection 2nd part in return
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Ashkrik23... Thanks for the detailed review !

I will take note of every advice. In fact I consider your review here the first debug I ever made from another POV than myself... majorly overjoyed on this !

I have big problems troubleshooting my dialogue because I am italian, so I have access to MS word versions managing italian grammar only...

Aside from that, I will do my best to polish the mission after your advices. Thanks !!

So, I will play Perfection 2nd part in return

Ah okay, if yer word isn't the English version you don't have to worry about it. Just watch out for the no spaces between words and it should be fine. I was rather surprised nobody had even reviewed it yet.