test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: Party Amplifier GPL Consumable

Comments

• devian666devian666 Member Posts: 473
    edited September 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    and meanwhile...... the OP is sitting back and chuckling after he did a "Watch what happens when I post this" type thread....which just happens to be the only post he has ever made on this account.

:rolleyes:

Then add in some random troll who I've never heard of making personal attacks against me. It's unfortunate that some of the posters are coming in to try to deliberately ruin a perfectly good discussion.

The fundamental aspect of this thread is that there are a minority of players that believe the party amps are some sort of crime against their person. It is hilarious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    Can we knock it off with the majority / minority of the playerbase arguments? There are no clear demographics on who does or likes to do what - we all have personal biases and anecdotal evidence to support those biases, but each of us interacts with a very small segement of the game's population - to small to take a reliable sample size.

For example, most of the people I know like to dance.

Furthermore, Roleplay is not defined as two people trying to have a private conversation in a public space. Newsflash: We're all RPers. Starting from the moment you created your first character to be a unique snowflake, you left your own persona behind and now engage in a digital environment through your character. Your playing as something your not (a Starfleet / KDF / Romulan starship captain.) THAT is the definition of roleplay. Anything else you choose to do with that character, is part of your roleplay interaction with others in the game.

There are Massive numbers of Multiple players Online RolePlaying this Game. You can't expect any of them to follow the same rules you do.

No, sorry. I don't subscribe to the casual or passive roleplayer definition. I subscribe to the definition of in-character interaction between players as roleplay, and I'd wager that most people who play MMOs would identify those people as 'roleplayers,' not themselves.
  • jiitoljiitol Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    dxpepper wrote: »
    Why did the devs even invent the stupid things. How is forcing me to dance remotely entertaining for me? I could be using my own chosen emote and that stupid thing overwrites it without me being able to take control back of my characters actions. Please, vote to have the things removed imho.

I do not in any way see how this fits into the Star Trek Universe. Add a feature to the club at ESD for stupid stuff but not in the exchange, fleet starbases, etc where the actions of one person controls the actions of everyone they wish to TRIBBLE with. That would be like a feature that prevented anyone from moving their ship in space due to one person using a warp jack in the box.

It's stupid...

I RP, and even when the so called griefers come at me with their childish behavior thinking they are bothering me, I just carry on. As to the disco balls, hell, they are a funny addition, albeit non-canon. They don't occur in missions I do, so I'm okay with them and they do put a smile on my face sometimes.
    edited September 2013
    devian666 wrote: »
    Then add in some random troll who I've never heard of making personal attacks against me. It's unfortunate that some of the posters are coming in to try to deliberately ruin a perfectly good discussion.

The fundamental aspect of this thread is that there are a minority of players that believe the party amps are some sort of crime against their person. It is hilarious.

Right there along with the minority of players that believe the "party amps" are the greatest thing ever--especially because they force other players to engage in the activity.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited September 2013

LOL

Nice how you've sidestepped my reasonable question.

Once again, do you think every player has the right to make their own choices about how to play the game?

Yes or no.
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    No, sorry. I don't subscribe to the casual or passive roleplayer definition. I subscribe to the definition of in-character interaction between players as roleplay, and I'd wager that most people who play MMOs would identify those people as 'roleplayers,' not themselves.

See the last line in my post.

"You can't expect everyone to follow the same set of rules you do."
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
    edited September 2013
    See the last line in my post.

"You can't expect everyone to follow the same set of rules you do."

Exactly. ;)
    edited September 2013
    Right there along with the minority of players that believe the "party amps" are the greatest thing ever--especially because they force other players to engage in the activity.

They don't force anyone to do anything. It's only an animation effect. Stop trying to demonise other players for using in-game items. Fabricating malicious intent because you want something to be changed in a game isn't a strong argument at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    rinkster wrote: »
    LOL

Nice how you've sidestepped my reasonable question.

Once again, do you think every player has the right to make their own choices about how to play the game?

Yes or no.

Let me make this clear: the moderators moan when we carry on discussions with forum trolls because it takes a lot of time cleaning up the threads. Thus, this is the last time I'll reply to you.

e: please read the forum rules. They're helpful to know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    Let me make this clear: the moderators moan when we carry on discussions with forum trolls because it takes a lot of time cleaning up the threads. Thus, this is the last time I'll reply to you.

I'll ask you my question again.

Do you think players have the right to make their own choices about how to play the game.

Yes or no.

I'm a patient man....but persistent.....
    edited September 2013
    They don't force anyone to do anything. It's only an animation effect. Stop trying to demonise other players for using in-game items. Fabricating malicious intent because you want something to be changed in a game isn't a strong argument at all.

You won't even engage with the facts: The disco balls force an animation on players who may or may not want to take part in the animation. It doesn't matter why--whether they're roleplayers or just running through.

Nice straw man, by the way. I'm not demonizing anyone. What I am doing, however, is questioning the strong defense of these things without regard to the oft-suggested toggle. Will you answer that question? What is wrong with making the animation optional?
  • jiitoljiitol Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Wow, this did ugly fast, and simple points made by two sides of the argument did it. Oh well, such are online gaming communities...
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Oh joy, another complaint about the Party Amp thread...

...trolled by the same people that have trolled all the other threads...
    ...trolled by the same people that are trolling in game with the Party Amps...
    ...and causing the complaint threads to be posted in the first place.

Oh joy...
  • timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited September 2013
    You aren't being forced into doing something you don't want to do. There is a painfully easy solution to avoid this: WALK SOMEWHERE ELSE. Go about your business and let other people have THEIR fun.

And if you're using the exchange/bank/mail screens, odds are you aren't even paying attention to what exactly your character is doing while using those screens. So, when you're done with them, just walk away.

I engage in a little RP myself at times, and when someone's doing something I don't like I just invite folks to my bridge or go to another instance.
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited September 2013

I jsut bought 5 disco balls... :)

100L at each, one time use....from Woadie.

....noticed a big dance party in the promenade....lots of fire extinguishers there too....

and hey look ! over a dozen people having fun ! (instance #1 happening right now)

( I took a screenie...dont want to go thru the photbucket process to prove it...but I can if I have to )
    timezarg wrote: »
    You aren't being forced into doing something you don't want to do. There is a painfully easy solution to avoid this: WALK SOMEWHERE ELSE. Go about your business and let other people have THEIR fun.

Well, to be fair, if you have to walk away, then you are being forced to do something.......leave.

And surely your very fair suggestion that says let people have their fun also applies to those throwing the disco balls.

Can't those people walk away and let other people have their fun?
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'll ask you my question again.

Do you think players have the right to make their own choices about how to play the game.

Yes or no.

I'm a patient man....but persistent.....
    I'll answer this.

Yes.

I can choose to not set off a party amp in a room full of people like the bank room on ESD, thus depriving myself and several others of ninety seconds of entertainment, or I can choose to do it an accept the risk that one or several people may be annoyed by that action.

I can choose to be annoyed that I'm being made to dance against my will I can choose to roll with it.

I can choose to hold an RP conversation in a public area where people are known to spring party amps at random or I can invite the person I'm talking to a more private setting where we can talk in peace.

And if the devs ever decide to put a party amp toggle feature in the UI, I could make that choice as well. But so far they haven't, so I can't.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
    edited September 2013

I jsut bought 5 disco balls... :)

100L at each, one time use....from Woadie.

....noticed a big dance party in the promenade....lots of fire extinguishers there too....

and hey look ! over a dozen people having fun !

( I took a screenie...dont want to go thru the photbucket process to prove it...but I can if I have to )

Problem is, your screenshot wont show anyone who has left because they don't want to dance.

Lots of people enjoy those disco balls, I enjoy them sometimes. They certainly liven up dull fleet meetings.

However, I'm also conscious of the fact that some people detest them and find them to an interference.

All of this can be solved with the suggested toggle.

The only people said toggle disadvantages are those who want to impose dancing on others.

And wasps should not get to decide who gets to wield the rolled up newspaper.
    edited September 2013
    timezarg wrote: »

And if you're using the exchange/bank/mail screens, odds are you aren't even paying attention to what exactly your character is doing while using those screens. So, when you're done with them, just walk away.

I engage in a little RP myself at times, and when someone's doing something I don't like I just invite folks to my bridge or go to another instance.

Except that having to move away just to avoid people who decided to use their disco ball on you is the definition of being forced to do something you don't want to. Why can't the disco ball people let us have our fun?
    edited September 2013
    I'll answer this.

Yes.

I can choose to not set off a party amp in a room full of people like the bank room on ESD, thus depriving myself and several others of ninety seconds of entertainment, or I can choose to do it an accept the risk that one or several people may be annoyed by that action.

I can choose to be annoyed that I'm being made to dance against my will I can choose to roll with it.

I can choose to hold an RP conversation in a public area where people are known to spring party amps at random or I can invite the person I'm talking to a more private setting where we can talk in peace.

And if the devs ever decide to put a party amp toggle feature in the UI, I could make that choice as well. But so far they haven't, so I can't.

All good choices.

Just a pity that the last one isnt available to the players yet.
    edited September 2013
    You won't even engage with the facts: The disco balls force an animation on players who may or may not want to take part in the animation. It doesn't matter why--whether they're roleplayers or just running through.

Nice straw man, by the way. I'm not demonizing anyone. What I am doing, however, is questioning the strong defense of these things without regard to the oft-suggested toggle. Will you answer that question? What is wrong with making the animation optional?

Says the guy using the straw man.

You are accusing players of some sort of malicious abuse of an item that it is not possible to abuse. You have changed the topic to the toggle discussion, which I have no issues with the toggle idea. Although, programming time could be devoted to more important things like bug fixing.

This is the thread discussing the obscenity of disco balls. They aren't obscene at all. There's just a lot of dramatic statements being made about something that isn't very dramatic at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    it's not hurting anybody's gameplay at all ( come to instance #1 right now....and see if anyone is pissed off)....it is enhancing the environment of the promenade.

some people will argue against anything....... this thread proves my point.

incoming argumentative retort in 3...2...1.....
    heh.....lol...lots of balloons too ...and fog.

....lol...a horta pet is even jumping up and down (no kidding)

You are accusing players of some sort of malicious abuse of an item that it is not possible to abuse. You have changed the topic to the toggle discussion, which I have no issues with the toggle idea. Although, programming time could be devoted to more important things like bug fixing.

This is the thread discussing the obscenity of disco balls. They aren't obscene at all. There's just a lot of dramatic statement being made about something that isn't very dramatic at all.

I'm accusing people who abuse the disco ball to harass others of being abusive, but you'll be careful to note that I haven't named names or accused anyone in this thread of abuse. I'll grant the distinction is subtle to some, but it's a distinction nonetheless.

I agree. The disco balls aren't obscene by nature, but the behavior of some people in this game who want nothing other than to disrupt the play of people around them is obscene. A toggle should be implemented. It would solve the problem and make both parties happy. Period.
    edited September 2013

You are accusing players of some sort of malicious abuse of an item that it is not possible to abuse.

Only by some definitions. Others define it as abuse. Metaxis is always problematic.

You have changed the topic to the toggle discussion, which I have no issues with the toggle idea. Although, programming time could be devoted to more important things like bug fixing.

I'm glad you support the toggle. Does this mean you agree with the statement that all players should have the right to make their own choices about how to play the game?
    This is the thread discussing the obscenity of disco balls. They aren't obscene at all. There's just a lot of dramatic statement being made about something that isn't very dramatic at all.

On this point, you and I agree. Obscene is a word with a specific and weighty meaning.

Although, to be fair, the OP never called it obscene.

We just think thats what obscence means.

It may mean it doesn't make sense........er....which makes more sense.
    edited September 2013
    dance party is still goin on in instance #1 DS9.....DJ<can't name> is sponsoring apparently.

more people are showing up.....and look....zero negative chat messages !
    I'm glad you support the toggle. Does this mean you agree with the statement that all players should have the right to make their own choices about how to play the game?

I'll give you a response as you seem to be back on topic now.

I disagree with the statement that players have a right to make their own choices about how to play the game. Before anyone gets too excited give the next sentence a chance. I believe that players should be able to choose their activities. Often in these threads there are a number of roleplayers that actually try to force their activities and their way of playing onto others. There have been some pretty outrageous attempts to force one person's roleplaying onto everyone else in the past. That's not what a social game is about.

In summary I have no issue with the way people want to play their game so long as they aren't trying to force me into some sort of bizarre activity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    dance party is still goin on in instance #1 DS9.....DJ<can't name> is sponsoring apparently.

more people are showing up.....and look....zero negative chat messages !

And I doubt you'll get negative chat messages. Because, y'know, the activity there is a dance party. But how about you stroll on up to a group of people not engaged in the dance and use the dance ball on them...

I'd be willing to bet your chances of negative response go up exponentially.
    edited September 2013
    now why would I do that?
    now why would I do that?

Because that's exactly the behavior I'm objecting to when I say these things can be abused.
This discussion has been closed.