test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: Party Amplifier GPL Consumable

Comments

• purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    devian666 wrote: »
    This is full of assumptions. It is well established from all of the other closed disco ball threads that the party amps do not interfere with others gameplay. You'll also find that no one is actually telepathic and can't read your mind in relation to party amps.

You seem surprised that people will put party amps down in a social zone. You do not control that zone and nor are you the boss of it. If you do not want to be in proximity of the party amp then you just move. You can't claim to know the intent of someone putting down a party amp. However, that is exactly what you are doing with your biased example.

The real question is how do you defend trying to force your anti-social behaviour onto other players?

This is not the case as discussed above. You are not telepathic.

Correction: You're defending the anti-social behavior. ;)
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    How about a little check box in options that when checked, we dance to party amps, on by default. Or if we prefer not to, we go to options and uncheck that box, then we don't dance to party amps. Simple solution.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
    edited September 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    Then roleplayers, on the whole, need to realize that this is Star Trek, where anything can (and does) happen. Especially having some alien override their nervous systems.

And as a roleplayer I take issue with people telling me how I'm supposed to feel about items that enhance my enjoyment of the game.

Use the disco ball all you like, just don't use it to annoy others. There's where I, the OP, and others like us take issue. :)
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    You can't claim to know the intent of someone putting down a party amp.
    Again, it could be that RP'ers species' way of saying "hello."

Don't run away from new life or tell it to leave you alone - seek it out!
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • chainfallchainfall Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If you want to be able to force me to dance, I want to be able to force you to play [be] dead.
    ~Megamind@Sobekeus
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited September 2013

and from reading your determined responses to every post that has an alternate view...... the word "quarrelsome" is coming to mind .....

Don't make claims on my behalf. I'm not the one trying to control behaviour in the social zones in the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    voporak wrote: »
    How about a little check box in options that when checked, we dance to party amps, on by default. Or if we prefer not to, we go to options and uncheck that box, then we don't dance to party amps. Simple solution.

Simple, but apparently draconian--if you were to believe the people I'm currently discussing this with. The option to opt out of the dance animation through either a checkbox or a pop-up actionable is a solution that allows others to use their dance balls without bother people who don't want to be subjected to them. Everyone's happy.

Again, unless the real motivation behind the defense is really just because some like to annoy people... ;)
    edited September 2013
    Don't make claims on my behalf. I'm not the one trying to control behaviour in the social zones in the game.

No? Isn't controlling the behavior of others in social zones exactly what the dance ball does? :rolleyes:
  • devian666devian666 Member Posts: 473
    edited September 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    Again, it could be that RP'ers species' way of saying "hello."

Don't run away from new life or tell it to leave you alone - seek it out!

This appears to be a first contact situation. It's time to dance!
    No? Isn't controlling the behavior of others in social zones exactly what the dance ball does? :rolleyes:

No it doesn't you retain control of your own actions, and your mind. It is not a mind control device.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    We can dance if we want to
    We can leave your friends behind
    Cause your friends don't dance
    And if they don't dance
    Well they're no friends of mine
    Say, we can go where we want to
    A place where they will never find
    And we can act like we come from out of this world
    Because you're one far behind

We can dance

We can go where we want to
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited September 2013
    I can't play Dabo at Dronza station anymore to to these Disco Trolls.....

disco balls ( or any emote) do not affect the Dabo game window at all....it's a separate and self contained windowed minigame.

same with the exchange/bank/mail windows ..... not affected at all by emotes.

but nice try :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    disco balls ( or any emote) do not affect the Dabo game window at all....it's a separate and self contained windowed minigame.

same with the exchange/bank/mail windows ..... not affected at all by emotes.

but nice try :)

I think he's saying that the Dabo areas have become a haven for the disco ball dancers. So if you're trying to avoid dancing along, you either have to give up on Dabo and the other activities, or suck it up and take it.
    edited September 2013
    Or just change instance.

There's too much over dramatisation of disco balls. The fact that people are making up stories about how disco balls kicked their dog or TRIBBLE their bank account are a bit ridiculous.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Well, that's the thing....every time one of these threads get started, people like you and the OP immediately fall into the minority. The role players in this game seem to think that they have some sway over the game, when they are a clear minority, albeit a loud minority. The fact is that most players either don't care or enjoy the disco balls. I see them everywhere, in every public zone. This means they are popular; this means that the majority of players are fine with them.

Sometimes I am at the exchange, or playing dabo, or talking with other players, and someone drops a disco ball over my head. I deal with it. Most of us could care less about your immersion, because we want to play a game.

Being in the minority has nothing to do with it. Your anecdotal evidence as to the "popularity" of the disco balls is just as good as my evidence of abuse. People using the disco balls are a minority, so I'm not entirely sure that's a road you want to go down if you're trying to support a defense of these things.

How does making it optional (through the use of a checkbox or other such setting) impact your enjoyment? Because some players' insistence on subjecting me to their own ideas of fun impacts mine.

This isn't about telling you that you can't enjoy the game your way. This is about telling you that you can't make me enjoy the game your way.
    edited September 2013
    we should ban tribbles too... we are 'forced' to hear them purr everytime someone pets theirs.

engineers should be banned too....their medical and shield turrets are killing my game environment.

and those danged pets running around...they are so un-canon and are killing my star trek experience !

did that guy just say something via local in all caps ??!??!?!! that's offensive !

etc....etc......etc......

So that's what happens when Ferengis get into the Romulan ale...

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
    edited September 2013
    Or just change instance.

There's too much over dramatisation of disco balls. The fact that people are making up stories about how disco balls kicked their dog or TRIBBLE their bank account are a bit ridiculous.

There would be too much dramatization... provided your statement about bank accounts and dogs wasn't just hyperbole. :P
    edited September 2013
    we should ban tribbles too... we are 'forced' to hear them purr everytime someone pets theirs.

engineers should be banned too....their medical and shield turrets are killing my game environment.

and those danged pets running around...they are so un-canon and are killing my star trek experience !

did that guy just say something via local in all caps ??!??!?!! that's offensive !

Suddenly hypotheticals are a sound argument. Glad to see you come around. :P
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited September 2013

er......actually, that's exactly what you're doing.

A disco ball is ignited and all the characters in ange begin dancing, whether they want to or not.

This is controlling other peoples characters behaviour.

Admittedly in a way that does no functional damage to any ingame mechanics, but nevertheless it is an imposition.

So, let's be honest here.

You want to control other toons behaviour to make them dance when you feel like it.

Presumably because you find that fun.

And there's nothing wrong with having fun........however, as the old saw has it, your rights end when mine begins.

The idea that one should be able to opt out of the disco balls is clearly not an imposition on anyones ability to play the game........unless, your enjoyment of the game is predicated on preventing people RPing.

Now, I think SD aren't stupid. Far from it.

Neither am I.

So how about you drop the BS.

You want to control other peoples behaviour in a way you find fun.

Why not be honest about it, instead of insulting any intelligences that may be reading this thread by pretending you don't want to control anyone?
    edited September 2013
    Suddenly hypotheticals are a sound argument. Glad to see you come around. :P

not hypothetical at all...true stories, and they all break my immersion and force me to experience them against my will.

I want these things taken out of the game !

excellent idea we should also ban the sound the maco engine creates , put a muffler on that sucker .
    edited September 2013
    rinkster wrote: »

A disco ball is ignited and all the characters in ange begin dancing, whether they want to or not.

Admittedly in a way that does no functional damage to any ingame mechanics, but nevertheless it is an imposition.

You want to control other toons behaviour to make them dance when you feel like it.

And there's nothing wrong with having fun........however, as the old saw has it, your rights end when mine begins.

The idea that one should be able to opt out of the disco balls is clearly not an imposition on anyones ability to play the game........unless, your enjoyment of the game is predicated on preventing people RPing.

Neither am I.

Why not be honest about it, instead of insulting any intelligences that may be reading this thread by pretending you don't want to control anyone?

You are calling me a liar and making false claims about me. You are also trying to turn this into a naming and shaming thread, which in itself is highly inappropriate. Personal attacks and defamatory statements will only serve to derail this thread. I suggest you participate in the discussion rather than try to get this thread locked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    rinkster wrote: »

Neither am I.

This is exactly it.

There is a group of people who enjoy intentionally disrupting other players--be they roleplayers, power gamers, PvP titans, or what have you. Defending them--inadvertently--are another group of people who honestly have no problem with the imposition and let it roll off their backs, but they themselves get no enjoyment from it. Then there are people like me who just want the option to not be imposed upon by people who only want to bother other players.

As you say, their rights exist only so long as they don't infringe upon mine.
    edited September 2013
    You are calling me a liar and making false claims about me. You are also trying to turn this into a naming and shaming thread, which in itself is highly inappropriate. Personal attacks and defamatory statements will only serve to derail this thread. I suggest you participate in the discussion rather than try to get this thread locked.

Impressive, a very quick ad hominem, with a neat piece of projection.

I have made just one claim.

You accuse others of wanting to control other peoples behaviour, while arguing for the right to do it yourself.

So, is this about choices Mr Wasp?

You want the right to make choices about how you play the game?

Oddly enough, so do I. So do those RPers.

Whenever you argue against having a toggle on whether to dance or not, it is you trying to restrict choices, not I.

I think giving people choices is good. Do you?
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    edited September 2013
    and meanwhile...... the OP is sitting back and chuckling after he did a "Watch what happens when I post this" type thread....which just happens to be the only post he has ever made on this account.

:rolleyes:

BAN TRIBBLES !!!!

^
    Can we knock it off with the majority / minority of the playerbase arguments? There are no clear demographics on who does or likes to do what - we all have personal biases and anecdotal evidence to support those biases, but each of us interacts with a very small segement of the game's population - to small to take a reliable sample size.

For example, most of the people I know like to dance.

Furthermore, Roleplay is not defined as two people trying to have a private conversation in a public space. Newsflash: We're all RPers. Starting from the moment you created your first character to be a unique snowflake, you left your own persona behind and now engage in a digital environment through your character. Your playing as something your not (a Starfleet / KDF / Romulan starship captain.) THAT is the definition of roleplay. Anything else you choose to do with that character, is part of your roleplay interaction with others in the game.

There are Massive numbers of Multiple players Online RolePlaying this Game. You can't expect any of them to follow the same rules you do.

- Anne Bredon
    edited September 2013
    and meanwhile...... the OP is sitting back and chuckling after he did a "Watch what happens when I post this" type thread....which just happens to be the only post he has ever made on this account.

:rolleyes:

Possibly.

I haven't discounted the possibility they're an agent provocateur.

Doesn't really matter though.

The point does need to be made.

Disco balls can be used for fun and they can be used to harrass RPers.

So, let's make sure everyone is happy. Give us a toggle.

That way, those who want to dance can....and those who want to impose their choices on others can't.
This discussion has been closed.