test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Guest Blog: Celebrating Diversity in Star Trek

Comments

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Nice blog. Well.written and thought provoking.

Will we see other social, sexual, religiuos events to allow others to show thier pride in what social, sexual or religiuos viewpoint they hold since the precident has been set?

Im sure others would enjoy thier moments to show pride in thier lifestyles and choices.

My guess is probably not...

Unless somebody figures out a way to use another popular Trek Theme to logically show that what they take pride in, has somehow been displayed as a constant under-current of divisiveness, throughout the history of the franchise.

I'm pretty sure several folks will give it a shot though.

;)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    My guess is probably not...

Unless somebody figures out a way to use another popular Trek Theme to logically show that what they take pride in, has somehow been displayed as a constant under-current of divisiveness, throughout the history of the franchise.

I'm pretty sure several folks will give it a shot though.

;)

Well thats would be saddening. Openness and Tolerance should be extended to all groups or its just a lie that openness and tolerance exists at all and the whole idea falls back into self serving agendas.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • baronvonhellerbaronvonheller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well thats would be saddening. Openness and Tolerance should be extended to all groups or its just a lie that openness and tolerance exists at all and the whole idea falls back into self serving agendas.

Why not just say what you mean, rather than try and use the tired excuse that we are looking to exclude other people's rights to inclusion?

This event is clearly open to all, and all were invited to participate. So, how do you figure you were excluded?
    edited June 2013
    Why not just say what you mean, rather than try and use the tired excuse that we are looking to exclude other people's rights to inclusion?

Who said you where excluding anybody?
    I asked if other groups would be afforded the same chance as you enjoy.
    Yet you attack me with assumptions on my motivation?
    Do not presume to know my mind or outlook on life until you get to know me on a more personel level and can make an informed decision.

The questition was worded to not give chance to offend, yet you react as struck when I did not attack you.

Pratice what you preach, please. The question was a simple one.

R.I.P
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've NEVER been attacked, or killed...

I would just like to confirm, are you sure you have never been killed?

:P j/k, I wanted to lighten the mood a bit. I liked your post otherwise.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited June 2013
    The funny thing about the medium of forum posts, you're going to get:

1.) Profound commentary, because some will share personal truths;

2.) Misguided comments reflecting Star Trek canon, social and religious bias, and;

3.) Hurtful comments from a select few.

The original post post was awesome. The following commentary is interesting in that it shows how far we have come while it exposes intolerance. We might argue that Roddenberry would have been inclusive on all levels, but even he had issues with religion.

Star Trek and its inclusiveness is yours to decide.

20 years ago I would never have celebrated Pride. It was something that would hurt my career, and impact my business and family. Today it is something I can celebrate (and if you can excuse the obvious pun) with PRIDE.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Nice blog. Well.written and thought provoking.

Will we see other social, sexual, religiuos events to allow others to show thier pride in what social, sexual or religiuos viewpoint they hold since the precident has been set?

Im sure others would enjoy thier moments to show pride in thier lifestyles and choices.

Well since it's a player run event and not an official Cryptic event, I don't see why other players can't host their own pride events.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • jeffdemerchantjeffdemerchant Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    A lot of people are reading too much into this blog post. What I read was a discourse on diversity as presented in the Star Trek TV shows. The single paragraph mentioning Stonewall Fleet and their Pride event is simply a courtesy to the author for writing the post. Get over it, people.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I agree, BUT with the caveat, HATE groups.

I wouldn't want to see Jihad, or Neo TRIBBLE events.

"Some" groups that practice intolerance and hate, have no business in this discussion.

Believe it or not, there are those, (and I am not implying you or anyone in particular), who would throw these groups in, ridiculous as it is, just to muddy the whole situation.

Like those who would argue why not let someone marry their dog, or have three or four wives, if two men, or two women in a committed relationship can marry....

It can get ridiculous.

I'm proud to live in Massachusetts where same sex couples have the right to marry.

Any group, minority or not, that add positively to the human condition should have it's day.

I don't know about anyone else, but I relish the chance to celebrate anything positive, and as often as possible.

There's just so much negativity this world, you gotta find the good in what you can and celebrate it, or else you'd feel compelled to play in traffic.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

edited June 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    Well since it's a player run event and not an official Cryptic event, I don't see why other players can't host their own pride events.

Personaly I was thinking of a KDF awareness event for this year.

I mistakenly thought the pride event was a cryptic sponsored event.

R.I.P
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2013

No worries.

I think a KDF awareness article/event would be great. I haven't been on my KDF for some time since the rep system is pretty brutal for alts. Had to pick and choose which ones I wanted to work on first. I could dust him off though for any KDF events.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Last year one fleet did run a KDF honor event, i competed (partially) in a bat' leth tournament, hopefully they will run one again this year.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • daemonhelddaemonheld Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    seannewboy wrote: »
    Last year one fleet did run a KDF honor event, i competed (partially) in a bat' leth tournament, hopefully they will run one again this year.

I think that would be awesome!!
    edited June 2013

My apologies, it seems I misread what you had said earlier.

I don't think anybody here can deny that the Klingons do indeed need some love. :D
  • kalininkalinin Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If I wanted to be inundated with yet more social commentary, I wouldn't be playing a game.

And I don't want to know about your sexuality anyways, it shouldn't be a topic.
  • daemonhelddaemonheld Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kalinin wrote: »
    If I wanted to be inundated with yet more social commentary, I wouldn't be playing a game.

Then don't participate in the event.... simple enough, no?
    edited June 2013
    My apologies, it seems I misread what you had said earlier.

I don't think anybody here can deny that the Klingons do indeed need some love. :D

No worries.

R.I.P
    edited June 2013
    kalinin wrote: »

Aw TRIBBLE. I should have never written that letter to Penthouse.......

R.I.P
  • p3aussiep3aussie Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Its funny how the mere mentioning of Pride and Stonewall Fleet, somehow leads to the implication that sexuality, religious and political things are being said.

*Hits face with palm of hand* oh the humanity ignoramus.
  • azyurionazyurion Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am not an expert on all the world's religions, but....
    The so-called "Evangelicals" in America are a dangerous right-wing ideologically driven hate group....

Wow! Talk about ignorance, intolerance, gross generalizations and outright bigotry! Your comment features it all. Congratulations on being so socially enlightened and extremely discriminating.

It never ceases to amaze me how a special interest group will engage in the very tactics of dehumanization, demonization and outright dishonesty that they claim others have used against them. The STO LGBT community certainly has shown its prideful arrogance and penchant for intolerance in this blog thread.

Of course, it is usually the radicalized, loud, minority segment of a movement that becomes the face of that movement. Much as we've seen the middle eastern democracy movement hijacked by extremist thugs. I can only hope the bigotry I've read from those preaching "Diversity" in STO is not representative of the STO LGBT community as a whole.

The most amazing thing about this particular thread is that many of the pro-LGBT (especially the Stonewall Fleet) commentators have been allowed to engage in serious violations of the eula, tos and forum guidelines, while posting comments that would be considered "hate speech" if made by other special interest groups. It is perplexing, to say the least and should not be allowed.

Intolerance should not be tolerated, even when it comes from special interest groups who seek to justify their own bigotry by claiming grievances. Everyone in life has grievances, but there is no excuse for spreading hatred and intolerance in the name of a particular point of self-righteousness. That is simply repeating the cycle and is precisely what Mr Roddenberry was hoping to show us through his works, especially Star Trek.

As a mere paying customer, with no personal connections, or social influence with the game's powers that be, I may not be able to convince those powers to stop the abuses being meted out on their forums, but I can boycott both this recruiting event and premium (Zen) game purchases, to show my disapproval. Those steps have and will be done. A letter to PWE has also been dispatched. Perhaps, at some level, there are those who remain committed to an officially apolitical game experience and tolerance for all of STO's community members.

Peace out.
  • logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    azyurion wrote: »
    Wow! Talk about ignorance, intolerance, gross generalizations and outright bigotry! Your comment features it all. Congratulations on being so socially enlightened and extremely discriminating.

It never ceases to amaze me how a special interest group will engage in the very tactics of dehumanization, demonization and outright dishonesty that they claim others have used against them. The STO LGBT community certainly has shown its prideful arrogance and penchant for intolerance in this blog thread.

Of course, it is usually the radicalized, loud, minority segment of a movement that becomes the face of that movement. Much as we've seen the middle eastern democracy movement hijacked by extremist thugs. I can only hope the bigotry I've read from those preaching "Diversity" in STO is not representative of the STO LGBT community as a whole.

The most amazing thing about this particular thread is that many of the pro-LGBT (especially the Stonewall Fleet) commentators have been allowed to engage in serious violations of the eula, tos and forum guidelines, while posting comments that would be considered "hate speech" if made by other special interest groups. It is perplexing, to say the least and should not be allowed.

Intolerance should not be tolerated, even when it comes from special interest groups who seek to justify their own bigotry by claiming grievances. Everyone in life has grievances, but there is no excuse for spreading hatred and intolerance in the name of a particular point of self-righteousness. That is simply repeating the cycle and is precisely what Mr Roddenberry was hoping to show us through his works, especially Star Trek.

As a mere paying customer, with no personal connections, or social influence with the game's powers that be, I may not be able to convince those powers to stop the abuses being meted out on their forums, but I can boycott both this recruiting event and premium (Zen) game purchases, to show my disapproval. Those steps have and will be done. A letter to PWE has also been dispatched. Perhaps, at some level, there are those who remain committed to an officially apolitical game experience and tolerance for all of STO's community members.

Peace out.

In Star Trek, religion, especially conservative, fundamentalist religion, was generally depicted as something which poisoned the minds and hearts of sentient species. The human race had largely overcome religious indoctrination as it had moved from the benighted 20th century dystopia of war and ignorance to the utopian, enlightened society of the 23rd century and beyond.

Humans, in Star Trek, were rarely depicted as religious. They had moved beyond that. The aliens that were explicitly religious were generally depicted as deluded or ignorant, often violent extremists. It was not until Gene's passing that, for the first time, I ever remember an important religious believer in Star Trek being depicted in a positive light, and the "gods" she believed in turned out to be "real" and benevolent.

Gene Roddenbury was also a huge advocate of TRIBBLE rights and worked hard to get homosexual characters included in Star Trek. Many of the early Star Trek conventions that kept him fed and clothed were put on primarily by the homosexual community.

The evidence demonstrates that religion, especially conservative, extremist forms of religion such as evangelicalism, have always been derided and warned against in Star Trek whereas Star Trek and its creator has always embraced social change and pushed for acceptance of those with unusual gender identities.

So please, write your letter. CBS is located in the Theater District of Manhattan. Cryptic Studios and PWE are both located in the San Francisco Bay Area. Star Trek is produced in and around Los Angeles. I believe the pride events in these three locations all get over a million participants most years.

I am sure that the people who work their will take a letter containing a diatribe about how a blog entry about Star Trek and tolerance for all people, including homosexuals, is the message of "special interest" group which has no place in Star Trek or its licensed products with as much seriousness as it deserves: none.

Welcome to the round file.
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Do you know the funny thing is?

After reading all the hate, posted by both sides of the coin, I have become completely turned off by "Star Trek: Online".

Even though I am against 'the act' of homosexuality, I completely accept 'everyone' as my sister and brother. We are all struggling with our own personal demons. Many people are alcoholics, divorced, drug addicts, etc... As long as no one is committing a vicious crime, I do not see any reason to get upset.

Before the extraction of the Omega Reputation system, the chat room on DS9 was filled with all types of hate. Now, I see it on full display in the forums. Pro-religion, anti-religion, pro-politics, anti-politics, pro-TRIBBLE, anti-TRIBBLE, etc... "Star Trek: Online" has it all. While Gene Roddenberry was not a saint, (adulterer and anti-religious), the message behind the "Star Trek" series was clear...

We have a long way to go.
    edited June 2013
    Here comes the irony...

According to established "Star Trek" canon, Gene Roddenberry believed that the only way forward would be a nuclear holocaust. Once seventy-five percent of the world is gone, humanity would finally push towards solving issues such as poverty, famine, environmental changes, and war. "Star Trek" is based upon a utopian society, which was born out of the ashes of World War III.

Gene Roddenberry is right.

Star Trek: Memory Alpha Link:
    21st Century
    The 21st century, defined in the calendar of Earth as the period from 2001 to 2100, was a decisive turning point in Human history. After World War III devastated large parts of Earth, Zefram Cochrane made First contact with the Vulcans, ushering in a new era of peace, unity and development for Humankind. (Star Trek: First Contact; Star Trek: Enterprise)

World War III
    ...the era of World War III was a period of global conflict on Earth that eventually escalated into a nuclear cataclysm and genocidal war over issues including genetic manipulation and Human genome enhancement. World War III itself ultimately lasted from 2026 through 2053, and resulted in the death of some 600 million Humans. By that time, many of the planet's major cities and governments had been destroyed.
    I guess Gene Roddenberry knew BIG government was a problem.
    edited June 2013

Really? The LGBT community has dehumanized the straight community?

Remembering LGBT History: The New Orleans UpStairs Fire, the Largest TRIBBLE Massacre in U.S. History

Be sure and read the comments in the article describing the 32 murdered human beings.
    Of course, it is usually the radicalized, loud, minority segment of a movement that becomes the face of that movement.

Which is precisely what I said:
    I realize that these radicals do not make up the entirety of the Christian faith nor likely even the majority. But, they are the most vocal.
    Much as we've seen the middle eastern democracy movement hijacked by extremist thugs. I can only hope the bigotry I've read from those preaching "Diversity" in STO is not representative of the STO LGBT community as a whole.

So, it's ok for you to compare a peaceful segment of the population simply attempting to achieve Equality, with radical Jihadists? But, I'm the unreasonable one? :rolleyes:

I do not speak for the Stonewall Fleet, nor am I a representative for them, nor have I claimed to be. Whether or not I am a member of the fleet is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Nothing I have said should or can be construed as "Hate Speech", because it isn't.

I am not intolerant of anybody's beliefs, however wrong or ignorant I personally hold them to be. It is my right to point out that I believe them to be wrong, however, as is your right to express the same in regards to mine.

But, nobody, on either side of any debate in a civilized society, has the right to infringe upon another's rights, regardless of their personal beliefs, as long as they are not causing harm to another.

LGBT people throughout history, up to this very day, are being murdered simply for who they are. I don't believe that the same can be said for heterosexual people.

I also have credit card statements that reflect payment to PWE too, so I guess in that regard we are equal.

I suppose it is your right to believe that you are being abused by me, PWE, or anybody else that you choose. But, that is simply not happening in reality.
    edited June 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    Here comes the irony...

According to established "Star Trek" canon, Gene Roddenberry believed that the only way forward would be a nuclear holocaust. Once seventy-five percent of the world is gone, humanity would finally push towards solving issues such as poverty, famine, environmental changes, and war. "Star Trek" is based upon a utopian society, which was born out of the ashes of World War III.

Gene Roddenberry is right.

21st Century

World War III

I am going to conclude that it is unlikely that you were alive in the 1960's. I suggest you study the era or at least speak to someone who was. I suspect that many people felt that nuclear war was inevitable. Star Trek premiered a few scant years after the Cuban Missile Crisis brought the Earth to the brink of nuclear annihilation.
    edited June 2013
    I am going to conclude that it is unlikely that you were alive in the 1960's. I suggest you study the era or at least speak to someone who was. I suspect that many people felt that nuclear war was inevitable. Star Trek premiered a few scant years after the Cuban Missile Crisis brought the Earth to the brink of nuclear annihilation.
    Unless you have missed the last fifteen years of news and history, you would have noticed that the world is steadily pushing towards a nuclear war. Its just a mater of time. You need to keep up on current events. As a result of focusing on domestic issues, many people were too busy to pay attention. We are standing at the doorway of another cold war. Our governments are too afraid to admit what has happened.

You need to keep up.

We need to get past this equal rights issue, so we can take care of a much more serious problem.
    edited June 2013
    Unless you have missed the last fifteen years of news and history, you would have noticed that the world is steadily pushing towards a nuclear war. Its just a mater of time. You need to keep up on current events. As a result of focusing on domestic issues, many people were too busy to pay attention. We are standing at the doorway of another cold war. Our governments are too afraid to admit what has happened.

You need to keep up.

We need to get past this equal rights issues, so we can take care of a major problem.

I do not believe that to be the case. When Star Trek premiered, the United States and Soviet Union had massive arsenals that were pointed at most of the major military facilities and industrial facilities in the first and second world, with fleets of nuclear bombers and submarines deployed around their clock, ready to bring nuclear Armageddon at a moment's notice. Many nations were pursuing nuclear weapons programs.

Today, the vast majority of those weapons have been either decommissioned, dismantled, or placed upon reserve status. The ones that have not are no longer aimed at their targets. Nuclear weapons are contained to a handful of nations and those that pursue them are met with united opposition, condemnation, and sanction.

My parents were born at the beginnings of the cold war and the pessimism it bred. The world has stepped down from the brink and is a much more peaceable, safe place for it. If Gene Roddenbury were born in the 1980's or 1990's, his vision of the future might not include nuclear Armageddon.
  • dessniperdessniper Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So why does 2% of the population get put on a pedestal for doing nothing?
    edited June 2013
    I do not believe that to be the case...
    I think I slightly derailed the main topic. I apologize to the thread owner.

If you would like to talk about the WWIII issue, I can go into great detail about recent history. We can open another thread for that topic. I can pull a mess of articles and reports, which have gone unnoticed by the general public. You missed the last fifteen years of world history. rofl... While we were too busy looking in one direction, we all missed what was happening in another. Its sad. I have done a lot of research on the subject.

Again, I apologize to the thread owner for the slight derail.
    edited June 2013
    We need to get past this equal rights issue, so we can take care of a much more serious problem.

Actually, equal rights are at the very heart of the more serious issues facing humanity today.

All the wars and evils that have been perpetrated throughout history have been because of perceived differences between various groups of people for various reasons. Nationalism, Race, Culture, Religion, Sexual Orientation, etc have all been used, and continue to be used, as an excuse to perpetrate oppression and violence on those that one group deems "unfit" or "less than".

I believe that bridging these gaps is what the guest blog author was trying to do, and the events this weekend are all about celebrating the diversity that exists in humanity.

Of course, I am not speaking for him or anybody else. That is just my personal interpretation.

So, I agree with you. Until we can all learn to truly appreciate and respect the diversity that exists on this planet, we may well be truly doomed.