test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Guest Blog: Celebrating Diversity in Star Trek

Comments

• turninwyrm27turninwyrm27 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Diversity? Like... bug diversity? Orrr maybe diversity in how each player experiences a different set of bugs from one another? How each imagine different performance results because of the random but consistent flaws in the network and netcode? Diversity in items lost in the mail move. Diversity in the ways we can add content and match the content volume with new bugs. Diversity in new features and content added while fundamental gameplay breaking bugs brought on by failed attempts to add new features that only cause issues.

How about a new PWE motto.. " IF it Ain't broke.. we can fix that"

I can cover a TRIBBLE in powedered sugar so u can't see or smell the TRIBBLE, that doesn't make it dessert. Certainly not once you start to dig in.

Diversity has its price, even the diversity in players from around the globe... tossed into pick up games... unable to communicate.. or work as a team, so fun but maybe u could do like every other sane MMO and divide them up into servers so i don't have to suffer with players who can't or won't learn, and whom i have no capability to teach.

For a free game STO is the best mmo going imo and genre biased, however if i had to pay one cent for this.. well i think my pov is clear enough already.

Thanks for not reading or not listening or not performing due diligence in duties or not caring in general or appreciating logic or strong smart effective leadership or whatever the hell the problem is with this downhill decline masked behind an endless rain of glitter and cocoa-butter.

Hot Tip. put ur life scrips on sale before you add a bunch of new content and horrid horrid horrid bugs that go unfixed for weeks and months so that u might sucker guys like me in. All i see is one poor strategy after another, and i try to observe moves from both the player and the buisness perspectives both since they are generally at odds.

Only JJ abrams and PWE could make Spock cry

Playing for free and still feeling cheated.. the non-consumer.
  • baronvonhellerbaronvonheller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dessniper wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with fighting. It has to do with how gays want to pick and choose what election results they want to accept and which ones they want to run and scream to the courts over. You either accept all the results or you accept none. Cant be 50/50 on what you will take.

I reject your false choice, entirely. Equality and Civil Rights aren't something that anybody has the right to deny. Period.

Oh, and to answer your earlier question about pedestals: There are none that I am aware of, aside from the aforementioned ones in Iran. If there were to be any, I would imagine they would have served the purpose of keeping us out of the reach of people like you, when we needed it.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    daemonheld wrote: »

Nice dodge..

Okay, how about 'what if another ELE asteroid had hit the Earth in the 1800s.. we probably wouldn't be here having this discussion...'

There is no solid evidence one ever has hit

yes I know its one theory for the extinction of the dinosaurs

but the chances of anything coming from mars are millions to one
    and the chances of a large rock hitting earth and wiping us out are slightly less than the chances of me being the next pope
    Live long and Prosper
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I usually refrain from topics like this because they always turn into political debates, which have no place in these forums, which is why that blog should have been rejected by the web staff. It breeds this type of reaction whether intentional or not.

Before praising Mr. Roddenberry, you may want to do a little research. He was an admitted homophobe. His original vision of the future was a society without homosexuality. Before his death, he came to accept homosexuality. However, it wasn't until after his death were there a couple of minor dealings with actual homosexuality, done in a round about way...alternate universes and such.

The first interracial kiss was made to look forced, a fact that was left out of the blog. This wasn't done because he was a visionary looking towards the future, it was done because the network said he couldn't do it, simple as that.

One thing I've never understood is why certain fleets feel the need to spell out who they gladly accept. When you spell out that you're a LBGT friendly guild that accepts straight people as well, it creates exactly what you're trying to avoid, segregation. You basically tell those who don't like having someones sexual preference shoved in their face, "you're not welcome here." What's wrong with saying you're a friendly fleet that takes anyone who loves to play the game. Let them know that there is a zero tolerance towards bigotry.

Lastly, why is it when someone expresses an opinion against the act of homosexuality, it automatically makes them a hater of the individual homosexual? I mean does hating the act of hunting, mean you hate the individual that hunts?
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

• daemonhelddaemonheld Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ravin wrote: »
    I usually refrain from topics like this because they always turn into political debates, which have no place in these forums, which is why that blog should have been rejected by the web staff. It breeds this type of reaction whether intentional or not.

Before praising Mr. Roddenberry, you may want to do a little research. He was an admitted homophobe. His original vision of the future was a society without homosexuality. Before his death, he came to accept homosexuality. However, it wasn't until after his death were there a couple of minor dealings with actual homosexuality, done in a round about way...alternate universes and such.

The first interracial kiss was made to look forced, a fact that was left out of the blog. This wasn't done because he was a visionary looking towards the future, it was done because the network said he couldn't do it, simple as that.

One thing I've never understood is why certain fleets feel the need to spell out who they gladly accept. When you spell out that you're a LBGT friendly guild that accepts straight people as well, it creates exactly what you're trying to avoid, segregation. You basically tell those who don't like having someones sexual preference shoved in their face, "you're not welcome here." What's wrong with saying you're a friendly fleet that takes anyone who loves to play the game. Let them know that there is a zero tolerance towards bigotry.

Lastly, why is it when someone expresses an opinion against the act of homosexuality, it automatically makes them a hater of the individual homosexual? I mean does hating the act of hunting, mean you hate the individual that hunts?

To the highlighted point... There was a "christian" group that a hubbub occurred a few years back when an openly TRIBBLE Christian joined their fleet. The fleet had advertised they were a family friendly Christian fleet. This guy joined.. having a husband (recognized where he lived), and I think two small kids. A few weeks of his tenure in the fleet went smoothly until someones wedding was brought up, and then through that topic the TRIBBLE Christian shared his marriage story.. and was promptly kicked from the fleet because "Gays are Sinners, and are going to Hell.. and are NOT welcome" ...

This is why there are LGBT Fleets... that encourage straight people to join, if they are comfortable being around us "homo's" ... Because you may not be aware how prevalent the mindset is that if you are TRIBBLE you shouldn't be grouped with Teens in this (or any other game). But I've seen professed straight men, married to women, who hit on teen girls... other women not their wife... and that's perfectly fine behavior. But when people go on the "think of the children... we gotta protect them..." (over the gays, which has been argued even in this thread) rants, they don't seem to take notice of the adult men hitting on younger girls.

"Why is it when someone expresses an opinion against the act of homosexuality, it automatically makes them a hater of the individual homosexual?"

Because sexual orientation... is personal. It is an inherent part of your being. Can you separate your heterosexuality from who you are? Do you ever talk about your spouse? Or if unmarried, your boyfriend/girlfriend? When in public, do you, or have you ever been seen holding hands? Give each other a brief kiss, hello or goodbye? Playfully slapped the butt of the object of your affection? ALL of those things are "acts of your sexuality" it's just HETEROsexuality in your case. How many people have you known that were despised because they were heterosexual? How many people do you know that have been fired from their job, because they were heterosexual? How many have been evicted from their home? How about... one spouse dies, and the remaining spouse is overthrown by the deceased family, who comes in and takes half of everything, because their "relationship" wasn't "real" to them? I can almost guarantee all of those numbers are going to be zero.

Saying "be who you are, I don't care.. just don't 'shove it in my face'" is also a bit TRIBBLE.. because I very seriously doubt you tell women talking about their children to "stop shoving your sexuality in my face". Have you ever had a guy friend talking any girl he's "dated" and then turn to him and tell HIM to stop shoving his sexuality in your face? I doubt it. Do you know how many times *I* have been shown baby pictures, wedding pictures, vacation pictures from family, friends, and coworkers? How many guys I've had talk to me about his latest conquest... typically with more detail than I ever had any interest in hearing... Too many to count. If I had ever turned to ANY of them and told them, "hey, stop shoving your sexuality in my face!" ... how do you think the reactions would have played out? I'm willing to bet they'd be hurt, and angry... and offended. Just like we are when we are told that.
  • dreamkissed#7964 dreamkissed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I find it interesting that the game programmers and developers are celebrating diversity, however continue to refuse to allow and deny requests for the basic options of name/handle and character gender changes that many other online games allow either free or paid
  • logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    hardly

scientists are not "highly skilled"
    Surgeons are
    Engineers are
    portrait artists are
    Scientists are not skilled they are educated

Boy did you get THAT wrong
    my education is at a standard normal for my society (that means I went to university and have degrees)
    Theory means "unproven idea"
    nothing more nothing less
    the big bang is a theory
    so is big foot
    one of these is a likely theory the other isn't

And if you had read Stevenson (as in the man who invented the steam engine known as the rocket) you would know that "scientists and inventors are only as good as their information"

And it just goes to show how poorly universities do at educating non-scientists on the subject of science.

Most working scientists, more or less, subscribe to the theory of science postulated by Karl Popper in which a theory is anything that explains natural phenomena and is falsified. Science functions by induction, which means that while scientific theories can be disproved they can never be proved. Scientists work to disprove scientific theories and, by failing to do so, corroborate them.

In scientific jargon, proof has a very different meaning than among the lay public. In science, a proof is conclusion reached using deduction (usually mathematics) taken from axioms or first principles. An example of a scientific proof would be Einstein's theory of special relativity. Science, being inductive, does not accept deductive reasoning (i.e. proofs) as valid. Hence, Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity was not fully accepted by the scientific community until sufficient empirical evidence had been generated.

Examples of important scientific theories include: gravity, general relativity, and the law of natural selection.

The big bang is a theory, because it explains nature, explains scientific evidence (such as the Microwave Background Radiation), and is falsifiable.

In the context of the way most "true-believers" in bigfoot postulate its existence, it is not a valid scientific theory because their belief is unfalsifiable.

Now, I am willing to provide a list of books that you can read to educate yourself in such matters; however, if you respond to this by simply reasserting your contrafactual claims, I will recuse myself from this conversation as it has already strayed dangerously off topic.
    edited June 2013
    If you are not American then none of this really concerns you. This is between the voting citizens of the United States. Secondly, your statement is just as absurd as the "since the 2nd Amendment says we have the right to bare arms, does that mean you also want nukes?!?"

It has nothing to do with fighting. It has to do with how gays want to pick and choose what election results they want to accept and which ones they want to run and scream to the courts over. You either accept all the results or you accept none. Cant be 50/50 on what you will take.

You need to study some US history and civics. The Federal government and all of the United States are constitutional republics. That means that they were designed to have constitutions that granted certain things, such as civil rights and civil liberties which represent the highest laws of the State or Nation. That means that when you feel a law is violating your constitutional rights, you have the legal authority to ask the courts to overturn that law.

This is the system our founding fathers created because, as one of them put it, democracy is five wolves and four sheep voting on what to eat for dinner. States and the Federal government have courts to decide whether laws are constitutional and democratic methods for changing the constitution if the overwhelming majority of voters disagree with those courts.

Just like Data's trial in the episode Measure of a Man, the courts today have ruled in favor of homosexuals being granted the same civil rights as heterosexuals.
  • darkpepsidarkpepsi Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have a question for all members of the STO community.

I agree with what was being said that cryptic should not promote political events. I did notice the blog it was posted on my launcher. Thought it was well written. And to the writer of stonewall its good to see people involved in politics. Anyways.... after it did not get any response the STO community, a day later cryptic again posted on the forums reminding everyone about the upcoming event.. Cant help but notice the timing with the prop 8 . I remember when prop 8 passed. And people were at each others throats, pro gays went around getting people fired or harassing supporters of prop 8. And this was true in Hollywood. I would hate to believe that members of a game we love, would do these things as well, and I would hate to see people who support pro or against drop to such low levels. Reason why I bring this up, is that in trade or pvp fleets, we tend to have rivals, and sometimes.... we don't always bring the best out of us. I would like to ask members who do not agree with equality to respect your fellow members, and if you go to risa be respectful. And for the members who to promote equality., don't email or harass members who disagree with you.

However I can't help but notice the timing and location of the event. So can we expect a celebration and see baby Jesus at the next winter event? Or the cross? I mean since your promoting political, mating rituals' ( sorry I can't use the S word here) , and religious event now.

For the record I have friends who are TRIBBLE playing STO. And I am glad to have met them. More importantly, I have TRIBBLE friend in real life., and when he stops being a playboy...guess that's a new term for it. I will be in his wedding (I am just not walking down no damm isle.). But one thing we never do is force, or play passive aggressive games. When he brings subway to a bbq, man we don't force him to eat the beef,, although he rofl when we do joking say it. What cryptic has done is wrong, not regarding equality but trying to promote a political agenda. The timing of all this is what really bugs me. The event time and the update. This was better coordinated than a wedding.
    And to cryptic, I know you meant well, but you should know that promoting one fleet over all others would create trouble. Regardless of the issue. There is only one reason to post that guest blog, and that was to not only promote one fleet over all others, but a political agenda as well. What makes it worse is that even though you cant take an official stance on the issue, and make it a pve event in our logs, you went out of your way to promote a fleet... that would promote the event for you. Leave that to the writers of star trek. And focus on one thing, putting your best efforts into making this the best Star Trek game possible.

My question is this to all the members, do you feel cryptic should passively weigh in with any political discussion? After all Star Trek is about context. And should this post be closed and locked?

I vote NO, and locked.
    edited June 2013
    darkpepsi wrote: »
    I have a question for all members of the STO community.

I agree with what was being said that cryptic should not promote political events. I did notice the blog it was posted on my launcher. Thought it was well written. And to the writer of stonewall its good to see people involved in politics. Anyways.... after it did not get any response the STO community, a day later cryptic again posted on the forums reminding everyone about the upcoming event.. Cant help but notice the timing with the prop 8 . I remember when prop 8 passed. And people were at each others throats, pro gays went around getting people fired or harassing supporters of prop 8. And this was true in Hollywood. I would hate to believe that members of a game we love, would do these things as well, and I would hate to see people who support pro or against drop to such low levels. Reason why I bring this up, is that in trade or pvp fleets, we tend to have rivals, and sometimes.... we don't always bring the best out of us. I would like to ask members who do not agree with equality to respect your fellow members, and if you go to risa be respectful. And for the members who to promote equality., don't email or harass members who disagree with you.

However I can't help but notice the timing and location of the event. So can we expect a celebration and see baby Jesus at the next winter event? Or the cross? I mean since your promoting political, mating rituals' ( sorry I can't use the S word here) , and religious event now.

For the record I have friends who are TRIBBLE playing STO. And I am glad to have met them. More importantly, I have TRIBBLE friend in real life., and when he stops being a playboy...guess that's a new term for it. I will be in his wedding (I am just not walking down no damm isle.). But one thing we never do is force, or play passive aggressive games. When he brings subway to a bbq, man we don't force him to eat the beef,, although he rofl when we do joking say it. What cryptic has done is wrong, not regarding equality but trying to promote a political agenda. The timing of all this is what really bugs me. The event time and the update. This was better coordinated than a wedding.
    And to cryptic, I know you meant well, but you should know that promoting one fleet over all others would create trouble. Regardless of the issue. There is only one reason to post that guest blog, and that was to not only promote one fleet over all others, but a political agenda as well. What makes it worse is that even though you cant take an official stance on the issue, and make it a pve event in our logs, you went out of your way to promote a fleet... that would promote the event for you. Leave that to the writers of star trek. And focus on one thing, putting your best efforts into making this the best Star Trek game possible.

My question is this to all the members, do you feel cryptic should passively weigh in with any political discussion? After all Star Trek is about context. And should this post be closed and locked?

I vote NO, and locked.

I would just like to point out:

1) The blog was about tolerance for diversity as depicted on Star Trek and how it was a catalyst for social change.

2) The blog, in one paragraph, mentioned the fleet's event. Other fleets have also been allowed to post blogs that raise awareness of community events, such as PvP bootcamp.

3) The fleet event coincides with the two largest TRIBBLE pride events in the United States, those held in New York and San Francisco. I suspect that is why the date was chosen.

4) The fact that the week also coincides with the Supreme Court's recess and thus, their final rulings of the session were only days before the event seems to be a coincidence. When the blog was posted, nobody knew how the Supreme Court was going to rule on Proposition 8 and the Defense of Marriage Act. My money was on the Supreme Court overturning DOMA and sending the Proposition 8 case back to the 9th Circuit due to the defendants not having legal standing, which is what a lot of people suspected. However, unless the blogger is a Supreme Court justice or clerk, they would not have known how the high court would rule.

5) The three latest dev blogs (including ones written by guests) always appear in the launcher.
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    But diversity is a good thing as long as we are all allowed to be what we are

Straight , TRIBBLE , white , black , green , liberal , republican , monarchist or communist
    Wrong. "Star Trek's" philosophies are in direct response to communism and monarchs. rofl... Gene Roddenberry and company were against communism. As a matter of know truth and fact, Roddenberry was very anti-establishment. He was practically libertarian in nature. Kirk was always challenging the establishment rule.

Why do you think he made episodes with an anti-TRIBBLE and anti-Russian theme? "Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country" was about Russia becoming a democracy; thus, the fall of the USSR paved the way for the end of communism (Cold War). Within an ironic twist of fate, Russia fell back into communism under Putin.

You are watching the wrong show if you think "Star Trek" is pro-communism and pro-monarch.

"Star Trek: TOS" was based upon the Cold War, and the fight against communistic and socialist philosophies.

"Star Trek: Voyager" and "Star Trek: The Next Generation" used the Borg to discuss the horrific consequences of socialism and collectivism. Hahaha... I hope no one is a liberal or progressive. What was the main lesson everyone preached? We gain strength from individualism.

Within the history of the United States, the Republicans fought to free the slaves. Democrats were against abolishing slavery. Hahaha.... Martin Luther King was practically a Republican.

YouTube Link: African-American Elbert Guillory: "Why I Am a Republican"

Gene Roddenberry was right from center, but with a libertarian twist to his philosophies.

Roddenberry believed the United States would lead the world towards democracy, and we would open the door to deep space exploration.

Hahaha...

Star Trek Wiki: World War III
    Rising from the ashes of the Eugenics Wars of the mid-1990s, the era of World War III was a period of global conflict on Earth that eventually escalated into a nuclear cataclysm and genocidal war over issues including genetic manipulation and Human genome enhancement. World War III itself ultimately lasted from 2026 through 2053, and resulted in the death of some 600 million Humans. By that time, many of the planet's major cities and governments had been destroyed.
    rofl... Other words, Roddenberry knew that we could not have peace while certain countries, philosophies, cultures, and governments existed.

Starfleet's Prime Directive = US Constitution.

YouTube Link: Kirk & US Constitution
    edited June 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    "Star Trek: Voyager" and "Star Trek: The Next Generation" used the Borg to discuss the horrific consequences of socialism and collectivism. Hahaha... I hope no one is a liberal or progressive. What was the main lesson everyone preached? We gain strength from individualism.

If I am understanding your meaning here, I have to disagree. The Federation for TNG was very Socialism driven.. Watch Season 1, Episode 26, The Neutral Zone:
    Act Three
    Offenhouse calls Picard, who is on the bridge, from his room's comm panel which he saw Riker use earlier. He later has a face-to-face talk with the captain, urging him to get contact with his bank. But the captain tells him that money has become obsolete in this century and his attorney has been dead for four hundred years. Offenhouse stands firm, stating that Humanity must still be as it once was: power-hungry and controlling. Picard retorts that Humans no longer seek such things; they have grown out of their infancy.

No money, everything provided, and equally shared so that things like "personal power" and "financial gain" were a thing of the past... Sounds like Socialism to me..

Jolan'tru
  • es0archeres0archer Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ...If my son, ends up being TRIBBLE, I DON'T CARE, so long as he can be happy. And I would want him to enjoy all the wonderful things in life I can enjoy as a straight man...

I am sorry...but me as a father and also having TRIBBLE friends...that i can say love as brothers...
    Must say...that statement is so FULL OF IT that the text turned brown.
    That was just politicaly correct TRIBBLE, no one watns their childrn to turn TRIBBLE an dont give me the "I wouldn't care..." TRIBBLE, because you would.

About this subject I only have a few things to say craptic, since you "endorse" this event by letting a blog on website...I hope that when a Muslim fleet is promoting a Muslim event or anything you treat it the same respect and/or any group out there promoting any meaningfull event...like a religiuos events for all muslim/cristians...baptist...jew, jeova witness...whoever, hey even amish.

since you started this political TRIBBLE, now stick with it...one thing is hosting guest blogs ABOUT THE GAME (pvp bootcamp and such...)

This is totally diferent, just hope that you will treat everyone and every belief and political view the same way.

You opened a pandora box with this one craptic...now good luck closing it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lifetime member.......not proud of it!
  • es0archeres0archer Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Don't like the way the people vote, you go running and crying to the courts. In states that people vote the way you want them to your hail that as a victory. Nice way to pick and choose how you want "civil rights" to be granted.

^^THIS...I agree 100%, why give voters the right to vote when you dont like the way they vote?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lifetime member.......not proud of it!
  • mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jixguards wrote: »
    are we going to see some Christians only, Conservative party or bloody Manchester United march going on in games ? People come online to play games and have fun, online games require you to mix with others and that should be down to the player and said community they join, this SHOULD NOT be promoted by the game developers ffs.

The only people the LGBT community excludes are those that are out to harm us. We are more then welcoming of straight and religious people if they just don't behave badly towards us.

A Christians Only event is as an example excluding everyone that is not a Christian, probably all those that are not the right sort of Christian as well. Because if all Christians got along there would only be 1 Christian faith/church. So let's say the MCC holds an event, they would be happy to have anyone of the LGBT community join. Others wouldn't.
    es0archer wrote: »
    ^^THIS...I agree 100%, why give voters the right to vote when you dont like the way they vote?

So to you it is OK that states makes laws that goes against the constitution? Then why are they part of USA if they don't like the constitution?
    edited June 2013
    I am sorry...but me as a father and also having TRIBBLE friends...that i can say love as brothers...
    Must say...that statement is so FULL OF IT that the text turned brown.
    That was just politicaly correct TRIBBLE, no one watns their childrn to turn TRIBBLE an dont give me the "I wouldn't care..." TRIBBLE, because you would.

About this subject I only have a few things to say craptic, since you "endorse" this event by letting a blog on website...I hope that when a Muslim fleet is promoting a Muslim event or anything you treat it the same respect and/or any group out there promoting any meaningfull event...like a religiuos events for all muslim/cristians...baptist...jew, jeova witness...whoever, hey even amish.

since you started this political TRIBBLE, now stick with it...one thing is hosting guest blogs ABOUT THE GAME (pvp bootcamp and such...)

This is totally diferent, just hope that you will treat everyone and every belief and political view the same way.

You opened a pandora box with this one craptic...now good luck closing it.

Wow, I feel sorry for your children. He never said he wants his son to be TRIBBLE, he said he would accept him and love him just the same if he were.

I also feel sorry for the spell checker on your PC. It seems to have overloaded from the heat of your angry post.:P
  • seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hey even amish.

Anyone who has a problem with the amish, much less thinks they are capable of playing this game, really has problems with reality. Thats the nicest thought i have about that.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
    edited June 2013
    mattachine wrote: »

So to you it is OK that states makes laws that goes against the constitution? Then why are they part of USA if they don't like the constitution?

To be fair, the Supreme Court has not ruled whether or not State laws banning same-sex marriages violate the US Constitution.

Legal scholars have differing opinions. But we should all be able to agree that the reason the high court exists is to prevent unconstitutional laws from being effected.
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just like Data's trial in the episode Measure of a Man, the courts today have ruled in favor of homosexuals being granted the same civil rights as heterosexuals.

Umm, just for the record, we all have the same basic civil rights as citizens of the United States as protected by the Constitution. What the Supreme Court did yesterday, in a nutshell, was grant homosexual couples the rights to some tax breaks that married heterosexuals have, which leads me to ask, was this really about equality or money?
    Because sexual orientation... is personal. It is an inherent part of your being. Can you separate your heterosexuality from who you are? Do you ever talk about your spouse? Or if unmarried, your boyfriend/girlfriend? When in public, do you, or have you ever been seen holding hands? Give each other a brief kiss, hello or goodbye? Playfully slapped the butt of the object of your affection? ALL of those things are "acts of your sexuality" it's just HETEROsexuality in your case. How many people have you known that were despised because they were heterosexual? How many people do you know that have been fired from their job, because they were heterosexual? How many have been evicted from their home? How about... one spouse dies, and the remaining spouse is overthrown by the deceased family, who comes in and takes half of everything, because their "relationship" wasn't "real" to them? I can almost guarantee all of those numbers are going to be zero.

Sexual preference is not inherent it's a choice. You choose your partner. As far as public displays of affection, my heterosexual wife doen't care for it either way. I know quite a few co-workers that were fired because they were heterosexual. I know many people who have said in the middle of a heterosexual "bragging" conversation to stop, not wanting to hear it, which is why the above heterosexuals were fired. It does, believe it or not, happen on both sides. I've known homosexuals who despise heterosexuals because of their choice, not all homosexuals are happy little pridefull angels.

Also, when's the heterosexual pride event?
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

edited June 2013
    Umm, just for the record, we all have the same basic civil rights as citizens of the United States as protected by the Constitution. What the Supreme Court did yesterday, in a nutshell, was grant homosexual couples the rights to some tax breaks that married heterosexuals have, which leads me to ask, was this really about equality or money?

Sexual preference is not inherent it's a choice. You choose your partner. As far as public displays of affection, my heterosexual wife doen't care for it either way. I know quite a few co-workers that were fired because they were heterosexual. I know many people who have said in the middle of a heterosexual "bragging" conversation to stop, not wanting to hear it, which is why the above heterosexuals were fired. It does, believe it or not, happen on both sides. I've known homosexuals who despise heterosexuals because of their choice, not all homosexuals are happy little pridefull angels.

That is patently untrue. Jointly filing federal tax returns (which is inherent with both potential benefits and liabilities) is just one of the rights granted by yesterday's decision. There are a plethora, many having nothing to do with taxes. Just some examples include:
    Lower enlisted members of the armed forces married to their same-sex spouses will now have their marriage officially recognized by the military, allowing them to reside with their spouse instead of in the barracks and also being authorized extra pay for the maintenance of a home.

Same sex couples will be able to arrange a visa to bring their partner into the United States for marriage.

The decision serves as precedent for others to challenge the rest of the DOMA, which violates the full faith and credit clause which holds that the laws of one State (such as marriage and divorce certificates) must be legally recognized in another. Using this decision as a precedent, lower courts should be able to rule that same-sex marriages performed in California must be recognized in all the States and Commonwealth of this nation.

The list is nearly endless . . . Your statement about it pertaining only to tax breaks is ignorant.

As a heterosexual man, I did not choose to be attracted to women. I did not choose which women I am attracted to. I never chose to fall in love. These are all governed by an ancient part of our brain that evolved long before the capacity for reason. Homosexuals have no more choice than I do whom they are attracted to. Logic, and decades of scientific research bear this out.

As for heterosexual pride celebrations, you are free to organize them, but I doubt you will find many attendees. TRIBBLE pride was started in three cities (New York, San Francisco, and Los Angeles) by a few brave souls who were courageous enough to go out in public and mark themselves as TRIBBLE, which was essentially a criminal act at the time. It has continued as a march for equality. When equality is achieved, it will likely continue to be celebrated for some time just as we celebrate the 4th of July even though no one alive today has had their liberties usurped by the King of England.
    edited June 2013

You may want to either find a new country to live in or move further up into the mountains and fortify your compound. Although you are certainly entitled to them, your beliefs are increasingly archaic, unaccepted, and just plain wrong.

Each new generation is more liberal and accepting than the previous one before it. So, what does that tell you? People that hold beliefs like yours will go the way of the dinosaurs, sooner, rather than later.
    (BTW, Dinosaurs did NOT walk alongside modern man, the earth is not flat or only 6000 years old. :D)

When that happens, you may just find yourself in need of a parade. You can don your white hoods or shave your hair real short, or whatever you want to properly express yourself, and we'll come out and watch you walk on by. :)
    edited June 2013

Sexual preference is a choice? When did you choose to be straight? (<-- That's not just a link, that's a sincere question to you).

Your co-workers, if that was the reason, were not fired *for being heterosexual* they were fired for breaking some sort of company policy about discussing personal issues (I'd wager), not even remotely the same thing. You don't have to have ever discussed your private life at work to be FIRED for being TRIBBLE. Back to the PDA issue.. have you seen heterosexual displays of affection where they were accosted, and beaten? Please enlighten me on the last time you saw that.

You are correct on one thing though, A LOT of TRIBBLE people are miserable, and you wanna know a few reasons why? Because it is NOT a choice. They live in a society that denigrates, and ostracizes them... where parent's will disown them, and "friends" will shun them for *who they are*.

When's the next "Straight Pride" Event? I dunno.. when are you setting one up? And if you do, is it exclusive to "straights only" or can gays that support their straight friends and family attend?

Jolan'tru
  • cotp0maurafeycotp0maurafey Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Diversity has been studied and proven to weaken communities, encourage preference for under-performing minorities, and dissolving national security, by promoting less-qualified over best-qualified through the use of non-performance measures like race, gender, and diversity quotas. It is easy to see the future where the genetic defect of homosexuality has been eliminated, the disparities of income and birth zip code determining your economic future being replaced by universal funding for all communities education, as opposed to today's system of separate and unequal education. Diversity is pointless and counter-productive to the progress of society; equality is more important - equality of education, of opportunity, of pay, equality in the application of the our rights under the law. Some day, equality will be realized, it will not come through forced diversification of our communities and our heritage.
    Covenant of the Phoenix - Fed | Covenant of the Phoenix - KDF www.cotp.info

“What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite.” —Bertrand Russell
    edited June 2013
    This is Nationalism/neo-Nazism. And not in a hyperbolic sense.
    Diversity has been studied and proven to weaken communities, encourage preference for under-performing minorities, and dissolving national security, by promoting less-qualified over best-qualified through the use of non-performance measures like race, gender, and diversity quotas.

By whom? People like Bob Vandervoort?
    It is easy to see the future where the genetic defect of homosexuality has been eliminated

Hitler, as I am sure you know, was also a great fan of eugenics. He also saw a future where Homosexuals were "eliminated":

After the Night of the Long Knives, Hitler promoted Himmler and the SS, who then zealously suppressed homosexuality, saying: "We must exterminate these people root and branch ... the homosexual must be eliminated."

Some day, equality will be realized, it will not come through forced diversification of our communities and our heritage.

So, to you, equality only happens once you've gotten rid of everybody who isn't like you?Yep, white nationalism.
    edited June 2013
    Diversity has been studied and proven to weaken communities, encourage preference for under-performing minorities, and dissolving national security, by promoting less-qualified over best-qualified through the use of non-performance measures like race, gender, and diversity quotas. It is easy to see the future where the genetic defect of homosexuality has been eliminated, the disparities of income and birth zip code determining your economic future being replaced by universal funding for all communities education, as opposed to today's system of separate and unequal education. Diversity is pointless and counter-productive to the progress of society; equality is more important - equality of education, of opportunity, of pay, equality in the application of the our rights under the law. Some day, equality will be realized, it will not come through forced diversification of our communities and our heritage.

In California, every ethnic group is a minority yet it is the economic powerhouse of the United States. If California seceded from the Union, it would displace one of the current members of the G-8. Along with New York, it has the largest population of foreign born residents and the highest rate of foreign-born workers. San Francisco and New York City specifically have very high rates of national and ethnic diversity and are the two most economically productive cities in the nation.

Meanwhile, near the bottom of the list of diversity (in this case, measured in foreign-born residents) include such economic powerhouses as Mississippi (the most illiterate State in the Union), the Dakotas, Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, and South Carolina.

The most economically productive region, person-per-dollar, is Silicon Valley, the second most diverse place in the US as measured by foreign-born residents.

The cultural and economic capitals of the United States tend to have some of the highest rates of diversity of ethnicity, nationality, language, and sexual orientation. The dregs of the nation tend to have the lowest rates of diversity. Clearly, diversity does not harm us and possibly even helps cities and regions become captains of industry and culture.
  • borisvodikaborisvodika Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited June 2013

If I had a child, I wouldnt "want" it to be straight or TRIBBLE. The only thing I would "want" it to be is healthy. Everything else isnt really that important. Once again I dont understand why some else's sexual orientation should matter to you. How does it affect your life?

I just dont want to see this type of RL stuff in a video game I play to escape RL. Thats all
  • borisvodikaborisvodika Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited June 2013

have you seen heterosexual displays of affection where they were accosted, and beaten? Please enlighten me on the last time you saw that.

You are correct on one thing though, A LOT of TRIBBLE people are miserable, and you wanna know a few reasons why? Because it is NOT a choice. They live in a society that denigrates, and ostracizes them.

Jolan'tru

I have seen many TRIBBLE PDA and never have I seen the participants accosted and/or beaten. I have never seen straight PDA participants accosted and/or beaten either. But i am sure it has happened to both parties.

Lots of gays are miserable and lots of straights are miserable. I live in a society that denigrates, and ostracizes me. I have had friends "shun" me because of my hobbies/pastimes/interests.

I had a terrible time growing up because I was considered a "loser". Have you ever been accosted and/or beaten because you played Magic: The Gathering or D&D? Have you ever been shunned because you were more into computing and Star Trek than sports?

Why is your shunning because of sexuality more important than my shunning because society thinks im a loser?

Just because you are not TRIBBLE, doesnt mean "society" hasnt treated you like garbage.
    edited June 2013
    I have seen many TRIBBLE PDA and never have I seen the participants accosted and/or beaten. I have never seen straight PDA participants accosted and/or beaten either. But i am sure it has happened to both parties.

Lots of gays are miserable and lots of straights are miserable. I live in a society that denigrates, and ostracizes me. I have had friends "shun" me because of my hobbies/pastimes/interests.

I had a terrible time growing up because I was considered a "loser". Have you ever been accosted and/or beaten because you played Magic: The Gathering or D&D? Have you ever been shunned because you were more into computing and Star Trek than sports?

Why is your shunning because of sexuality more important than my shunning because society thinks im a loser?

Just because you are not TRIBBLE, doesnt mean "society" hasnt treated you like garbage.

1.) So you haven't ever seen either a straight person or a TRIBBLE person physically accosted for PDA... Have you ever seen any of this? Now, when was the last time there was anything where a straight persons was bashed.. because they were straight?

Has this ever happened to anyone because of playing Magic: The Gathering or D&D?

2.) You were shunned? You've had friends come to you, tell you that you were "disgusting", "a deviate" and "deserve to spend eternity burning in fire", then spit on you, shove you to the floor and kick you repeatedly? You've had that? You've had your mother tell you that because you play M:TG, or D&D, you are no longer her son, and as far as she is concerned you are dead? You've had that too, have you?

People are hateful, I know this. I know that gays aren't the only people that get harassed, bullied, or shunned.. but there are degrees, you know? Black people in the USA have a LONG history of being abused, oppressed, and yes, even killed for the color of their skin.. but, a black teen doesn't have to worry about coming home one day, saying to his parents, "Hey folks, I'm black.." and have them thrown out, or disowned for it. You see a difference there?

3.) You ask why being shunned for being TRIBBLE is worse than being shunned for being a "loser"? Because I've willing to bet you've never had to fear for your life for being a Star Trek fan. I'm willing to bet that, as stated above, you didn't have to worry about being thrown out of your house, because you like D&D. Being a "geek" is defined by what you like.. hobbies and past times. Being TRIBBLE is what we are. It's part of us. Like having blue eyes, or being 5'10. If you don't see a difference in those two things, I can't really help you.

Can I ask you how you feel being being a nerd/geek, has any equivalence to the abuse that the LGBT community has suffered? Do you really think they are even remotely similar?

By the way, as we are having this discussion on a Star Trek gaming forum, it should be apparent to you that I, too, am a geek... I, too, have played D&D (tabletop, LARP, and video games). I can assure you, the difference in "shunning" is vastly different.
    edited June 2013

Ultimately, what you or I believe is irrelevant. Only the Supreme Court is allowed to interpret the constitution. While the two rulings were a big victory for TRIBBLE rights, it is important to note that the Supreme Court never actually ruled that same sex couples have a constitutional right to be married. They never ruled that States violate same-sex couples' 14th amendment rights by denying them marriage licenses.

Take the proposition 8 case, which would have decided whether California's ban on same sex marriage violated the US Constitution. In a 5-4 ruling, the justices refused to rule on the case and instead returned it to the 9th Circuit Court on a technicality. One of those in the majority opinion was Justice Scalia, who ruled in favor of upholding DOMA and would probably rule in favor of proposition 8's defenders had they legal standing to argue the case.

That means that it is still quite possible that, should another similar case appear before the Supreme Court, the Supreme Court will overturn the 9th circuit court's rulings and find that same-sex marriage is not a constitutional right (by the same token, they could affirm that it is).

What we can say though is that as-of today, same-sex marriage is not a constitutional right in the United States.

The other case the Supreme Court ruled on was part of the Defense of Marriage Act. They ruled that it was unconstitutional for the federal government to interfere in the legal marriage of same-sex couples by denying them federal benefits and recognition. However, there were many separate issues at play in this case and it is possible that some of the justices ruled in favor of overturning DOMA because they felt it violated the States' tenth amendment right to define marriage without federal interference, not because it violated same-sex couple's 14th amendment rights.

One thing is clear. Same sex marriage is not yet a constitutionally recognized civil right in the United States and it is still an uphill battle. However, the winds of change will ensure that one day it will be.
    edited June 2013

Just to be clear, the overwhelming majority of hate crimes committed due to sexual orientation are directed toward LGBT individuals, not heterosexuals. Nobody in the United States was ever tied to a fence and beaten to death by homosexuals because he was straight.