test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bonus Marks Weekend Event [Now Ended]

Comments

• robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ferdzso0 wrote: »
    we can all say bad things about cryptic, but atleast, we can be darn sure, that the event will be extended (or rerun next weekend) to compensate for this.

this is something they can do (and most importantly, did before), as they will not lose any money on it, just gain (back) of reputation.

doubt they will rerun it next week and they compensate the lifetimers i say one thing cryptic has not restored my faith sincec the debacle that was the launch of LOR. Bet the zen bonus's are working. if not cryptic would have took the game offline for two minutes to get it sorted. cryptic are destroying any chances on me giving them any more cash
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Bonus Event is NOT working as described. I just got 4 marks + 15 marks for Cure (non-Elite). That should've been 4 + 20 minimum during a bonus event time.
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just one small point, "bonus reward" doesn't mean "double reward".
    Please note that this event works exactly like the in-game ?Bonus Marks Event? that can be found on the ?Today?s Events? rotator in the Mission Journal, but is active for the entire duration of the special weekend event.

It's not doing this either though. Semantics be damned.
  • curs0rcurs0r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I totally didn't see anything about it. Sadly I can do nothing except be angry. I was really hoping to get ahead in my marks finally. I even advertised to get my fleet mates on this weekend. I feel like we got jipped, because once they correct the issue it will be back to normal marks grind again and they won't redo the event. I was hoping it had just not been brought to light but I guess that's out. now its just lazyness.

I always give people a pass on the first one because hardly anyone knows it, but the words gyp, or gypped are based in a racial slur. I don't know if I would use the term laziness in this particular case. They'd have to bring the server down to patch for this if they even have a solution prepared yet, and there has been a lot of screaming over downtime. There's no good call for them here so I can't blame them (too much anyway) for making that call. I can say that not making sure it would work properly before announcing the event was probably not the right move, so I'll focus on that.
    I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.
  • newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited June 2013
    First it was supposed to be just the normal bonus - but for the whole weekend - not just the schedule 3hr window.

Second there is a main thread:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=747521

Although Not a mod - feedback should go there as this thread will probably just be shut down and disappear.
  • lagunadlagunad Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    How is it acceptable customer service to prominently advertise an event:

1) In the launcher
    2) In-game
    3) On the official website
    4) On the forums,

then, when it turns out the event is completely broken, the only official response after three days is

"Oh, well, somebody said it worked for them, so maybe it does work,"

and then leave all the prominent and misleading promotional information in-place, while making no attempt to actually resolve the problem so the event works as advertised?

That is (staggering incompetence and open contempt for customers)^3.
  • game5pockgame5pock Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    curs0r wrote: »
    I always give people a pass on the first one because hardly anyone knows it, but the words gyp, or gypped are based in a racial slur.

PC, Run-A-Muck:rolleyes:

Once Cryptic gets it together to actually provide the bonuses they advertised, they ought to let the functional bonuses run for a week, instead of just a weekend.

It will make people forget. ;)
    edited June 2013
    game5pock wrote: »
    PC, Run-A-Muck:rolleyes:

I forgot it's not ok to disparage anyone's ancestry except the Gypsies. You go ahead and support racism, since it's just the one group.
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So I've gone about and done many of the listed PvE mission for the double marks weekend. Not once have I seen my marks earned doubled, not even during the marks hours for this weekend. my conclusion is Cryptic messed up its coding for this weekend and everything delivers regular marks rewards all weekend. way to make me waste my time cryptic. I'm not particularly happy about being lied to either. No patch, no addressing any issues. my fleet mates noticed it earlier as well so I know its not just me. I was looking forward to using this weekend to stockpile my marks, what i get is disappointment.

It wasn't a sham, it just went sideways somewhere.
    I'm sure they'll fix it and hold it again soon.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
    edited June 2013
    I forgot it's not ok to disparage anyone's ancestry except the Gypsies. You go ahead and support racism, since it's just the one group.

Hyperbole. You injected "race" into this thread, not I. Try not to be offended so much.
    edited June 2013
    game5pock wrote: »
    Hyperbole. You injected "race" into this thread, not I. Try not to be offended so much.

Actually, someone used a racial slur that they probably didn't know was a racial slur, so I let them know without being what you try to paint me as and reporting them for using racial slurs. I think you have a quality of logic problem on this point and should stop escalating it lest you appear more foolish than issuing a reflexive reaction to me doing someone a favor.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2013

once lived on a caravan site when i was small, kids called me those names exactly. i know they were being mean but i never took these name callings seriously. i dunno why people get so worked up about specific words used these days where once they were considered a generic term for something else. im not gonna open that can of worms, but if you feel that person in that previous quote you had was racist, throw a ticket on it.

anyway to answer the op. i never pay any attention to these double marks things, i would be more interested in having the mirror incursion events make a come back rather then getting marginalized on odd hours each days.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited June 2013
    once lived on a caravan site when i was small, kids called me those names exactly. i know they were being mean but i never took these name callings seriously. i dunno why people get so worked up about specific words used these days where once they were considered a generic term for something else. im not gonna open that can of worms, but if you feel that person in that previous quote you had was racist, throw a ticket on it.

anyway to answer the op. i never pay any attention to these double marks things, i would be more interested in having the mirror incursion events make a come back rather then getting marginalized on odd hours each days.

It's not even about being offended, it's about helping someone not get forum infraction points for using words of which they may not know the full meaning.
    edited June 2013
    Actually, someone used a racial slur that they probably didn't know was a racial slur, so I let them know without being what you try to paint me as and reporting them for using racial slurs. I think you have a quality of logic problem on this point and should stop escalating it lest you appear more foolish than issuing a reflexive reaction to me doing someone a favor.

The "logic problem", is you proclaiming your pathos for the poor guy who doesn't know what he's allowed to say on a forum, then using a red herring attack on me, labeling me a bigoted, racist, reactionary idiot. Try to follow up on your supposed virtues by treating all people with tolerance and equality.
    edited June 2013
    It's not even about being offended, it's about helping someone not get forum infraction points for using words of which they may not know the full meaning.

your own point has been answered elsewhere.. so whatever i state further is meaningless at this point.
    edited June 2013
    your own point has been answered elsewhere.. so whatever i state further is meaningless at this point.

I echo this sentiment.

Live Long and Prosper, Curs0r :)
  • shaduosshaduos Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2013

Gypsy is not a race, but a term used for several different groups with various backgrounds and races. So, no one is in fact being racist.
    edited June 2013
    shaduos wrote: »
    Gypsy is not a race, but a term used for several different groups with various backgrounds and races. So, no one is in fact being racist.

going a bit off topic;

technically you could point out that "gypsy" is a derogatory term used to target an ethnic group of people to bully them. which itself is a form of discrimination based on creed and background.

as for "race"? thats a bit of a grey area since humanity is a race of its own regardless of skin color, creed, background, genetics and so forth.
  • lagunadlagunad Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    By the same logic, calling something "lame" is a slur against people with disabilities.

Language evolves and words take on new and different meanings.

If we stop training people to be offended when no offense or disparagement are intended, there would be a lot less offended people.
    edited June 2013
    lagunad wrote: »
    If we stop training people to be offended when no offense or disparagement are intended, there would be a lot less offended people.

going back to my original point which is why i was never offended by the gypsy comment when i was young boy.

and why people seem to want to take abuse by words that has lost their original meanings.
  • theparanoidtheparanoid Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    I'm confused. Brandon posted that it's a problem, that they're working on a fix, and that he doesn't know if the fix will be ready before the event ends.

How do you get "won't fix" from that?

well let see if there not going to fix it before the event is over then basically this would be "won't fix" considering it saturday after noon an event events Monday morning. It a pretty sure bet they "won't fix" this broken event.
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Its still not working and i doubt that will change before monday and i'm also quite sure there will be no explaination and no saying we're sorry and no sry we f'ed up here are some extra marks
  • bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    trekkat wrote: »
    How many marks did you get for each, then?

I said hypothesis, which, by nature, is a guess, one which you cannot prove wrong, so you cannot claim it to be so. Nothing indicates that a client patch is required. This event could be handled completely server side. We don't know either way, so my guess is as good as any and is entirely plausible. Also, I am not stopping the devs from doing anything they are already not doing.

This might be a little thing in itself, but it is the latest is a long series of "little things" that demonstrates a pattern. The pattern continues and so the general discontent grows with each instance.

What makes me sick are abject apologists defending this kind of nonsense. Some of the bugs that make it live are so egregious that it makes one wonder how they could have been missed unless they were flat out ignored in favor of getting the release out and cleaning up afterwards. I am beginning to wonder if there is any serious quality control going on, or whether, when the deadline rolls around, everyone agrees the new additions *should* work and they cross their fingers and push the update.

This one thing is not why a lot of people are upset, at least not why I am. Having something promised to one and then not have it delivered is disheartening, but the overall pattern of things just plain not working to the degree they have shows sloppiness at best and incompetence at worst. The lack of communication between the company and the customers beyond, "Stuff happens. Better luck next time." has an air of dismissal or even contempt about it.

your not loosing any money over it so stop crying
  • shaduosshaduos Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2013

How do you know he isn't. As a subscriber he would be losing money because they promised him an event for this weekend that he subscribed for and didn't give him what they said they would. Too many people forget some people still subscribe to the game or are lifetime members. Don't assume someone is F2P unless you know for sure.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Can you name a single thing the devs have handled competently?

You asked: moneymaking.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited June 2013
    questerius wrote: »
    You asked: moneymaking.

That they can do, however seeing some of the feedback I think that says more about the players than the game.
  • trekkattrekkat Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Nice. You don't address any of my comments and are now just arguing to argue. Technically, I am losing value for my money every time there is an unscheduled down time, every time something promised is not delivered or every time some bug keeps me from obtaining something I want.

These frequently shoddy updates and broken promises are not what I am paying for, so I have a legitimate complaint. So far, you are complaining about ... I am not sure what anymore since your posts all boil down to, "stop crying." I am justified in complaining and that is an absolute fact. It seems you are the one crying over nothing and to no good end.

Unless you have something substantial to contribute, which I do not believe you do, I am done responding to your asinine rebuttals.

Have a nice rest of the weekend.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ''''''''\,,,;=^=
  • spearhawk2013spearhawk2013 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It is always fun when they (cryptic/pwe) runs a weekend filled with promise and then deliver half of it.

tau dawa sector block, not any bonus for me
    colony invasion , not any bonus for me
    starbase incursion seems to give some bonus but not much (use to get 66 and not got 73)
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Glad it was offered, but too many are complaining it isn't giving the Awards. (sigh) That's fine,if it did work, it would be a AFK, leech fest anyway.:rolleyes:
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    it was working til the 3 hour bonus and it stopped afterwards
This discussion has been closed.