test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Legacy of Romulus Pre-Patching Enabled (Now disabled!)

Comments

• Options
    rifor83rifor83 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tried many times to pre-patch with my stand-alone installation of STO and it never worked, always failing then restarting from 0kb with around 9GB left to patch. So I thought, "what the hell" and reinstalled through Steam. Once the base version was installed it tried to patch, but only required 6GB this time. It failed again around 41%, so I restarted, and now it only wants to patch 4GB. I assume it will fail again, but hopefully only with 2GB left to patch, and then eventually I will get it to zero! It shouldn't have to be this way though.

Place annoying e-peen boasting signature here!
  • Options
    tyrion10tyrion10 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know it's the prepatch, but i don't understand why it suddenly dissapeared the last 3 times wich happens since that crash.
  • Options
    fyllisfyllis Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How come a NWpatcher is being used for STO?? NW = Neverwinter

130519 14:38:44 2304 [1]: HTTP patching connected to akamai.nwhttppatch.crypticstudios.com:80
    130519 14:38:52 2305 [1]: HTTP patching connected to akamai.nwhttppatch.crypticstudios.com:80
    130519 14:38:52 2306 [1]: HTTP patching connected to akamai.nwhttppatch.crypticstudios.com:80

Is this why I still have that freaking prepatch still trying to load on my computer? It has gone from 3457MB, to 5885MB to, this morning, 9872MB download.

I have Disable on demand patching checked and have done 4 Forced Verify and it still is NOT taking.

Looks like I will attempt to finish the RomRep so I get my Romulan and/or Reman and I'm out of here for a week or 2. Hopefully by then someone at PWE/C will figure a way to fix this.

Tired of fighting this bs and to think I still have 4 more computers to go.

EDIT:

Looks like there is download issues too

130519 14:38:54 2311 [1]: HTTP patching failed for data/texture_library/Weapons/Wep_GNR_Dilithium_Mining_Laser_01/Dilitium_Mining_Laser_01_N.wtex: too many retries on HTTP xfer
    130519 14:38:54 2312 [1]: HTTP patching disconnected from akamai.nwhttppatch.crypticstudios.com:80: Content-Length missing(0:No error)
    130519 14:38:54 2313 [1]: Warning: HTTP patching failed for data/texture_library/Weapons/Wep_KLG_Elite_Shotgun_01/Wep_Klg_Elite_Shotgun_01_N.wtex: Content-Length missing(0:No error)
    130519 14:38:54 2314 [1]: Warning: HTTP patching failed for data/texture_library/Weapons/Wep_GNR_Antiproton/Wep_GNR_Antiproton_C.wtex: too many retries on HTTP xfer
    130519 14:47:14 2315 [1]: HTTP patching disconnected from akamai.nwhttppatch.crypticstudios.com:80: socket was shutdown(0:No error)
    130519 14:47:14 2316 [1]: HTTP patching disconnected from akamai.nwhttppatch.crypticstudios.com:80: socket was shutdown(0:No error)

Don't know why there is an error, nothing else running on computer, the monitor not going into sleep mode, etc
  • Options
    fyllisfyllis Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this is pathetically hilarious. I logged into Neverwinter and downloaded a 175mb patch, returned to STO login screen and had a 5 minute wait while the loading screen couldn't make up its mind what to do.

130519 15:48:06 14 [1]: HTTP patching problem (ContentLengthMissing):
    130519 15:54:17 29 [1]: HTTP patching problem (ContentLengthMissing):
    130519 16:00:43 497 [1]: HTTP patching connected to akamai.nwhttppatch.crypticstudios.com:80

THen I see how much I need to patch....3845mb interesting change from 9872mb and all because I updated NW.

Wonder if there is bleed over from the games.
  • Options
    drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If it just closes itself without an error message then you have the pre-patch downloaded completely and there is nothing left for the launcher to do.
  • Options
    cptadamsmithcptadamsmith Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Try this one. 9883MB. It was 5GB, but I disable On Demand patching and now bang...:mad: It don't help that the patching server is limited to what we can download/sec. Neverwinter downloaded within and hour, however in the defence of not the connection or server I was watching TV at the time and it was only a small 3GB download.

Just checked the prepatch folder so far it's clocked at 7GB lol So add the 9.8GB on top. LoR is a hell of a BIG game:eek:
  • Options
    entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How can I tell if the pre-patch has gone through completely? I exit out, it downloads a few megabytes, then disappears.
  • Options
    xsi1exsi1e Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pre-patching now... and it's smaller than 175MB. Halfway through the pre-patch so far and it only downloaded 23 MB of new data.

-END OF LINE

My patcher is saying 9883MB or 9.8gigs worth of patch. Since I already downloaded and patch 10gig from the tribble server isn't there a way to copy files locally so that I do not have to spend another 3 days on my crappy slow isp patching another almost 10 gigs?

Edit: I am going to try this.
    In my STO directory there is Live and PlayTest folders. I am going to make a new folder called Live Old copy the current Live folder into Live Old. Then copy all the files dated 2013 from PlayTest folder into the Live folder and see if that bypasses this patching process. If it fails I still have a clean copy of the original live folder. Also looks like I might have some issue with the patch_trivia.txt files sine the one in the Live folder does not match
    to the one in the Playtest folder. If there is any cryptic personnel that can help out with this idea please feel free to post a process for us.

Edit: ^---Well that failed miserably.
    1kltX02.jpg
  • Options
    pwefailpwefail Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pre pathing only gives me about 7 gigs and breaks holodeck for me,whenever i go to my d'kora bridge the game crashes and i have to "repatch" holodeck.
    The player formerly known as Chunter.
  • Options
    byzanathosbyzanathos Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this has to be one of the worst attempts to patch a game I've ever seen.

For me it either doesn't go anywhere, fails at 46-47% or last night I didn't see it but it closed itself after I know it had downloaded at least 2.6GB only to find that next time the prepatch ran it started again at 0% still with 5885mb.

I recon I've wasted about 10GB of download data on failed STO patching since this pre-patch went live. And a flock of people seem to be having the same problem. What is it? poor coding or just not tested at all?

pretty sure resuming failed downloads has been ok on the internet for like 15 years?
  • Options
    xsi1exsi1e Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    byzanathos wrote: »
    this has to be one of the worst attempts to patch a game I've ever seen.

For me it either doesn't go anywhere, fails at 46-47% or last night I didn't see it but it closed itself after I know it had downloaded at least 2.6GB only to find that next time the prepatch ran it started again at 0% still with 5885mb.

I recon I've wasted about 10GB of download data on failed STO patching since this pre-patch went live. And a flock of people seem to be having the same problem. What is it? poor coding or just not tested at all?

pretty sure resuming failed downloads has been ok on the internet for like 15 years?

For me when I patch the 10gig on the tribble server it literally took me 4 day to get everything patched. Mostly because the client kept crashing, and I have a pathetically slow ISP.
    1kltX02.jpg
  • Options
    captinsickocaptinsicko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    getting really pissed off now cant brandon or someone just let us know what the hell is a matter with the pre patch as i can not get on tribble after that piece of **** tried to patch and failed :mad:
  • Options
    innerphoenixinnerphoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    game was lagging a bit , upon shut down of the game kept trying to do the pre patch and i was affriad it would mess things up so i never let it until last night , so over night i let the game pre patch for the roms , now today i was lagging out every minute , switching maps , switch chars , anything , in stfs would loose connect every 30 seconds. so i was like hmm maybe a uninstall and full install would fix the issue, NOPE. now i cannot even connect to the game , im freaking pissed off , i pre buy the rom package , and now i cannot even play the game, EPIC FAIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    An update since patching was re-enabled:

Upon every launch it downloads the same 3615KB before I get ENGAGE.

Upon every exit, it again tries to download 5882MB, which proceeds for a short time and then the window closes. No error messages, it doesn't stall, it just goes away.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    ask4spock1ask4spock1 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same here,

It continues to pre- and post- patch and never finish every time I log into or out of the game.

:mad:
  • Options
    datrick04datrick04 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just tried 4 times in a row, and the pre patch fails before getting even 1% done.
    This is pathetic. The worst attempt to patch a game I've seen in 20+ years in playing online.
  • Options
    skaldraskaldra Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OMG i cant even get into the game! Patching... the cancel button doesnt work, no progress bar... nothing. Major fail cryptic
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    INQUISITOR CRUSHER
    Director of Marketing
    ELITE FORCES COMMAND
  • Options
    mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yep, up to the usual TRIBBLE.

Launch the launcher.. patching 3mb ... get into game

quit game, launcher opens, downloads 5Gb's ... let it download

THEN..

Launch the launcher... patches 3mb ... get into the game

quit the game, launcher opens, downloads 5gb's... AGAIN.

wtf? I cancel it every time now, I know there is a pre-patch, but surely I don't have to re-download the whole game again and again.
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I doubt we're going to get any real answers or fixes until tomorrow when they're all back on duty.
  • Options
    byzanathosbyzanathos Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    any guess as to the total wasted traffic/bandwidth this has created?
  • Options
    khaine47khaine47 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lol, doubt there will be a guess since it would irritate Player base and Cryptic alike
  • Options
    cptadamsmithcptadamsmith Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well I left it overnight to download the 10GB. Not to sure whether it di as the pre-patch folder is still 7.6GB. :confused: Surely downloading 10GB should so up somewhere, unless it's the whole STO game just redownloading and overwriting its content files.

Well here's the process for LoR. You won't actually play it for a week.

Tuesday - Download all day as speed probably won't peak 50KB/s with everybody patching. No play Tuesday.

Wednesday - Everyone logs on and creates their characters. The server crashes with the influx of new and current players wanting to try or LoR.

Thursday - Oops sorry. We're conducting maintenance

Friday - Lets keep our fingers crossed the maintenace will hold out

Saturday - Server Crashes and bad lag as Cryptic games are in full swing.

Sunday - Smeg it! lets go to church and pray we'll be able to play it next week.

:)
  • Options
    amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dirlettia wrote: »
    Not weird at all, when you pre-patched before you only did the bare minimum due to having patch on demand enabled. Now you are downloading all of the pre-patch as per your settings.

ok, cool, thank you for your reply.

I like to keep the patching thingy set to on, cause why do it manually every time? least thats how i see it.
    like everyone else its a false download at this time. cryptic should disable it and leave it disabled. everyone has to download a huge amount of gb data at launch anyway, so it really wouldn't matter one way or the other.

Ah, ok. I do agree that cryptic should disable it after it's been patched...

Update:

Now, when I log out of the game, it opens the launcher, begins to patch 5gb, then closes, so I'm assuming that it's been patched already, and as was said by dirlettia and mirrorchaos (and others), that it just does that , checks if it's patched, and if it is, it stops.

So I hope mine is already patched....<crosses fingers> . Find out tomorrow I suppose.

I haven't had a problem playing the game at all , since I patched...

Either way, I'm sure the STO team will have things in working order eventually.

What I hope is that they will have a new file to download , so that we can download an up-to-date game file, so that when re-formatting a computer, we don't have to patch a billion years of data...

-Aaron
  • Options
    starblade7starblade7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can we get a Survivor of the Pre-patch forum title?
    Forget the possibility of PvP, for so much has become pay-to-win, never to be balanced. Forget the promise of exploration and research, for in the grim dark future of Star Trek Online there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting publishers.
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is getting beyond a joke every day for past 5 days ive loged in 3gb download log out 5gb download and by the looks not even a sorry from devs wot are there playing at?
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    sarovensaroven Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just have to ask: I have kept tribble up to day (including today) and I did the initial pre patch after logging out of the game. However every time I play since then when I quit it then redownloads or repatches the entire 5882mb all over again. Why is it doing this when it was already done the first time?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    razorlanrazorlan Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Both parents and two teenagers in our house have cryptic accounts, so we are talking four accounts, three computers, and two separate operating systems. We are having the patching problems on all three computers, and on both operating systems. The patcher froze at 47% on all three computers, and then just plain shut itself down the next few times I tried to fix the problem. Checking the "disable on demand" box in the patcher got it past the dreaded 47% mark, but now it downloads 5 gigs worth of stuff every time someone exits the game. This is getting old very fast. I know it isn't the computers, since it is on three separate machines, none of which is identical to any other, and I know it isn't the operating system, since it is two vastly different versions of Windows it is happening on. Someone needs to figure out why this is happening and put a stop to it. If we still had our old isp that had a fit and shut everything down claiming malicious intent every time huge downloads happened repeatedly, we would be in real trouble right now instead of simply being annoyed beyond the point of rationality.
  • Options
    soundwisdomsoundwisdom Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cuatela wrote: »
    Nope. It downloads to a special "prepatch" folder, where it sits idle until its needed for patching. On patch day, the launcher will automatically check that folder and the two test server folders (Playtest and Beta) and move/copy files as needed. Whatever isn't already on your computer will of course be downloaded.

Is this true? IE: will I not need to patch that huge graphics patch? lol
  • Options
    buayafederasibuayafederasi Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well I left it overnight to download the 10GB. Not to sure whether it di as the pre-patch folder is still 7.6GB. :confused: Surely downloading 10GB should so up somewhere, unless it's the whole STO game just redownloading and overwriting its content files.

my launcher downloaded 9.8gb but files in my prepatch foler is 7.5gb. my theory is, those .hogg files were compressed. the launcher did download many individual .hz files total of 9.8gb, but then compressed to became 7.5gb .hogg files ;)
  • Options
    damix4damix4 Member Posts: 608 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have one folder named "piggs" and it's 9.8gb heavy (last time modified: 17.5.2013.), and just under the "piggs" folder there is other folder named "prepatch" which I opened and found another "piggs" that is 7.3gb heavy (last time modified 18.5.2013).

I hope everything is ok here. could it be that files were downloaded two times?
This discussion has been closed.