test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tal-Shiar?

quiiliitiilaquiiliitiila Member Posts: 309 Arc User
I tried searching in the sub-forum for my question, but I think I screwed something up and didn't get any hits.

Is there currently a way to join with the Tal-Shiar and not the Republic? I vaguely recall a devblog mentioning that at some point we will get to choose who to side with, but I don't know if that's been scrapped or not.

At one point in the tutorial you have some dialogue with Hakeev, I was a bit antagonistic, but if I had been submissive would anything have changed?

Thanks!
-Quiiliitiila
Post edited by quiiliitiila on

Comments

• Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tried searching in the sub-forum for my question, but I think I screwed something up and didn't get any hits.

Is there currently a way to join with the Tal-Shiar and not the Republic? I vaguely recall a devblog mentioning that at some point we will get to choose who to side with, but I don't know if that's been scrapped or not.

At one point in the tutorial you have some dialogue with Hakeev, I was a bit antagonistic, but if I had been submissive would anything have changed?

Thanks!
    -Quiiliitiila

No, it wouldn't, because Haveek hates everyone. (but especially you)
    And there isn't any way to join the Tal Shiar.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think you mistook the choice betweeen KDF and FED alliance to a republic-talshiar choice.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    quiiliitiilaquiiliitiila Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    I think you mistook the choice betweeen KDF and FED alliance to a republic-talshiar choice.

No, I was mistaking the nebulousness of the first devblog about the "three" factions within the Romulan society. Pretty much they made it seem like you would eventually have to choose between D'tan and Sela, but I suppose not D:

Thanks!
    -Quiiliitiila
  • Options
    sanokskyratsanokskyrat Member Posts: 479 Media Corps
    edited May 2013
    Gecko and a few of the other talk about this in like every interview at the moment. Tal Shair are not bad, not evil THERE VERY VERY VERY BAD AND EVIL!

it comes down too that most people don't want to play VERY EVIL and BAD toons, I know you want too, but i mean in general, and the numbers prove this, (they talk about the numbers in City of Hero's vs. City of Villains, and KDF vs. Fed etc.)

Also the other reason is the story. They want the Tal Shair to be the bad guys... they're working with the Iconians and there up too a lot of bad stuff.
    1368747308047.cached_zpsl4joalbs.jpg
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gecko and a few of the other talk about this in like every interview at the moment. Tal Shair are not bad, not evil THERE VERY VERY VERY BAD AND EVIL!

it comes down too that most people don't want to play VERY EVIL and BAD toons, I know you want too, but i mean in general, and the numbers prove this, (they talk about the numbers in City of Hero's vs. City of Villains, and KDF vs. Fed etc.)

Also the other reason is the story. They want the Tal Shair to be the bad guys... they're working with the Iconians and there up too a lot of bad stuff.

For the horde!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    karl2025karl2025 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013

But City of Heroes came out years before City of Villians. And you have to be Fed to get to the KDF. Doesn't that massively skew the numbers? And even if it doesn't, shouldn't the people who want to play bad guys have an option? We have three factions and the worst ones are the honorable opponent Klingons. Is there no possibility of playing a Romulan as a Romulan?
  • Options
    messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Agreed with this ^^^^

Most people want to be the next kirk , picard,janeway or sisko to live out their fanboy fantasies lol
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited May 2013

no it comes down to the Dev don't wont you to play bad guys not the player !!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    messahla wrote: »
    Most people want to be the next kirk , picard,janeway or sisko to live out their fanboy fantasies lol

I could get that if we where talking fed's but not romulans
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    karl2025 wrote: »
    But City of Heroes came out years before City of Villians. And you have to be Fed to get to the KDF. Doesn't that massively skew the numbers?

Yeah. It's a long standing criticism of Cryptic's commentary about the low numbers of the KDF.

Some game companies CAN develop multiple factions in a seamless, logical manner. Cryptic's just not one of those companies. What they offer I guess is a bit better than monster play, but it's definitely been a sticking point with the players for years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Wait until your do the Elachi mission arc of the Romulans. You'll have a deeper understanding of how evil the Tal Shiar and the Elachi really are. When I found out myself, I was disappointed that I could not do MORE masty things to the Elachi.

I won't give out any spoilers, but I love the how some TNG and Enterprise cannon and the resulting extrapolation about them. Now I'm really anxious to lean more about the Iconians
  • Options
    crappyturbocrappyturbo Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with lordfuzun about the elachi and think that what you do is not enough.

I do agree with some people's comments on the forums the Romulan Republic does not feel like the romulans from the series but more like the federation with out the prime directive, although I agree abiut the Tal Shiar being "evil incarnate" I got that feeling about them from TNG.
  • Options
    sirstingsirsting Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I too wondered about the joining of the Tal'Shair at the begining. But now that I played deeper into the storyline i am glad the dev dont let you choose. I like having the Tal'Shair as the main badguy makes things interesting. I come to find myself rooting for the Romulan Republic more and more.
  • Options
    darkkindness2darkkindness2 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For the horde!

WoW is ridiculously grey and grey for morality, though. Both factions are guilty of some pretty heinous war crimes, harboring terrorists, etc., but they both have their share of heroic acts and qualities as well.

It's tougher in STO, because a lot of people are stuck in the mindset that most of the series pushed, that Klingons are either the bad guys or unpredictable and dangerous allies, at best. The Path to 2409 and the in-game storylines do a pretty good job of posing the same grey and grey style choice that WoW gives, but it's tough to break past those preconceptions that fans of the IP have coming in. WoW had an advantage there, too, in that established fans of the IP had the opportunity to get used to the Horde being at least equally good in WC3 and TFT.

In regard to hating Star Trek 2009:
    kain9prime wrote: »
    IDIC fail.
  • Options
    poeddudepoeddude Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    MMO RPG. Role Playing Game. I've always wondered about the moral fibre of people who choose to play as the brutal murdering psychopaths. :(
  • Options
    wufangchuwufangchu Member Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Even within the romulan storyline there are moral choices to be made, some of them rather unsavory like convincing one person to see your point of view instead of just killing them honorably..
    The thing is, is as mentioned earlier in the thread, even with all the intrigues that occur in the romulan story, they arent romulan.. They remind me more of ma and pa kettle from down the road.. great people but, not romulan.. and having to join the kdf or federation?? Xenophobic romulans?? Never, although they WOULD develop political alliances that suited their needs at the moment.. History shows that races of people do not change even with time and circumstance.. Rather than becoming second class citizens to the feds or the klinks, the romulans would determine to rebuild and recreate themselves. From that point of view, the Tal Shiar are still very evil, but completely romulan..
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wufangchu wrote: »
    Even within the romulan storyline there are moral choices to be made, some of them rather unsavory like convincing one person to see your point of view instead of just killing them honorably..
    The thing is, is as mentioned earlier in the thread, even with all the intrigues that occur in the romulan story, they arent romulan.. They remind me more of ma and pa kettle from down the road.. great people but, not romulan.. and having to join the kdf or federation?? Xenophobic romulans?? Never, although they WOULD develop political alliances that suited their needs at the moment.. History shows that races of people do not change even with time and circumstance.. Rather than becoming second class citizens to the feds or the klinks, the romulans would determine to rebuild and recreate themselves. From that point of view, the Tal Shiar are still very evil, but completely romulan..

No, the Tal Shiar are still murdering psychopaths, even by Romulan standards. Because, y'know, the majority of the Romulan people are absolutely terrified of them, one way or another.
    And the "History shows that races of people do not change even with time and circumstance" line is complete BS. If you were an actual study of history, you'd know that.
    The Romulans of old were somewhat xenophobic, yes, but only because of their ingrained sense of self-superiority. Now, the vast majority of them are simply too tired of struggling and living in hardship to keep that up.
    And this impression that the Romulans are becoming citizens or such of the Federation or the Klingon Empire is both ridiculous and misplaced. Even in the in-game missions you play, it's made abundantly clear you are allying with them, NOT joining them. You are receiving aide, exchanging technology and even personnel, but it's not a complete annexation. The game takes time to explain this.
    Anyone saying otherwise is turning a blind eye to the proof in front of them simply so that they can keep whining about how the Romulan Republic isn't a "real faction" and they're not "real Romulans". And honestly, the litanies are becoming repetitive and tiresome to hear.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    focht666focht666 Member Posts: 0
    edited May 2013
    lordfuzun wrote: »
    Wait until your do the Elachi mission arc of the Romulans. You'll have a deeper understanding of how evil the Tal Shiar and the Elachi really are. When I found out myself, I was disappointed that I could not do MORE masty things to the Elachi.

I won't give out any spoilers, but I love the how some TNG and Enterprise cannon and the resulting extrapolation about them. Now I'm really anxious to lean more about the Iconians

Thats funny, because when I found out I wanted to join the Tal Shiar even more....
  • Options
    i131i131 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    No, the Tal Shiar are still murdering psychopaths, even by Romulan standards. Because, y'know, the majority of the Romulan people are absolutely terrified of them, one way or another.

Anyone saying otherwise is turning a blind eye to the proof in front of them simply so that they can keep whining about how the Romulan Republic isn't a "real faction" and they're not "real Romulans". And honestly, the litanies are becoming repetitive and tiresome to hear.

That applies to the Tal Shiar specifically. The problem, and why I think you see so much bad feeling on the forums amoung those who've been waiting a long time for playable Romulans is that the Tal Shiar =/= The Romulan Star Empire. The Tal Shiar are, infact, represented as directly in (internal) opposition to the military throughout the history of Romulans in Star Trek. The unnamed captains in The Balance of Terror and The Enterprise Incident aren't evil baby-eaters. They have honour, for one thing, and aren't overly inclined to the kind of criminal insanity the Tal Shiar seems to select for. Again in TNG there are numerous examples of non-Tal Shiar Romulans, almost all members of the military or a political body, that don't show that kind of mad cackling evil. Centurion Bochra (The Enemy), Suran and Donatra (Nemesis) who actively decide to prevent the genocide of Earth for no reason that it being wrong, the Romulan Captain (The Chase) who is one of the few non-Starfleet Officials to take a genuine interest in the Ancient Humanoid's message. Even Tomalak in The Enemy has at least part of his motive in caring for his men.

These individuals (and they're not the only examples) aren't raving Tal Shiar psychotics. They're also not happy bunny huggers. They are Romulans. When people, like me, who are fans of the species found out we were finally getting to play them, this is what we thought we were getting. And not without basis - look at STO's Klingons. They've got a fair shake, morally, in the plot (fair enough too) but they are still Klingons. They are still militaristic, violent, honour-bound and aggressive. They will, and do, fight a war over being asked to evidence a statement (a correct one, but that's hardly the point). It would've been entirely possible to allow for militaristic Romulans of the cut of The Enemy's captain, Donatra or even Tomalak as players in light of that, and that's what I, at least, expected. There's no problem with them opposing the Tal Shiar. That's what the Romulan Military spends a good chunk of it's time (subtly) doing.

Even if there were factions within the Republic, that would've sufficed. Donatrist military officers siding with Da'Tan's reunificationists against the common enemy of Sela and the Tal Shiar (and their Iconian backers). The enemy of my enemy, after all. But no. We are forced to play Romulans who think the past centuries of Romulan history was a mistake. That the Vulcans were right. That's......not Romulan, not as they were presented in Trek. And that, obviously, is what people were after. No-one said "I want to play Romulans, but specifically reunificationists.". They said "I want to play the Romulan Star Empire.". Hence the appointment's.
  • Options
    wufangchuwufangchu Member Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    And the "History shows that races of people do not change even with time and circumstance" line is complete BS. If you were an actual study of history, you'd know that.

Actually, I AM a student of history and am 62 years old as well.. I'll contest your assertion then..

Look at the middle east.. Theyve been at each others throats since before buddha walked the earth.. They still are.. No change.. Look at China.. When Emporer Qin united the nations we now call china he began a centuries long mistreatment of his people to build his wall, which other emporers followed up on and continued till Ghengis Khan became emporer.. Today, hundred and thousands of coal miners die every year doing underpayed back breaking work in their mines.. Again, no change..
    When the people that became america first came to this continent they were the rejects of the world. no one wanted them and most hated them.. I give you todays social climate in where everyone still pretty much hates us.. again no change..
    races do not change.. and niether would the romulans..
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • Options
    agentexeideragentexeider Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited May 2013

compaired to the Obsidian order though they are teddy bears, let me put it this way, Tal shiar, Section 31, I think I could take.

But if the Obsidian Order was coming after me, I think I would just eat a phaser.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    compaired to the Obsidian order though they are teddy bears, let me put it this way, Tal shiar, Section 31, I think I could take.

But if the Obsidian Order was coming after me, I think I would just eat a phaser.

this post is very true and has made my day :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    hatepwehatepwe Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Fear not there's a Tal Shiar lockbox heading our way with the launch of LoR...I gots mah sources...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lord7tareqlord7tareq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

SWTOR proves you wrong, considering that the Sith Empire has more players than the Republic. And its not as if the Sith Empire is just a misunderstood empire that actually wants a social healthcare system for its citizens and desires to live in harmony with its galactic neighbors. Instead, you get to do quite horrific acts as a player: unleash biological weapons that leave the victims writhing in agony for weeks before they die, execute unarmed prisoners who plead for their lives by electrocuting them, torture a husband to get info from his wife, then when she gives it kill him but let her live so she remembers...etc..etc..And the vast majority of the Sith Empire players do these things and are max dark side.:)

Storywise I can understand why we don't join forces with the Tal Shiar, but they could have made the option to join Sela (and have Sela break with Hakeev's Tal Shiar or something similar). But then they would have had to create a true third faction with all the extra work that brings. This was the easy way out for them, and admittedly if it is either this or no Romulan faction at all I'm glad they did.
  • Options
    casbynesscasbyness Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd rather there be no Romulan faction than there be this "Romulan-lite" faction where you have no choice but follow people who are essentially Vulcan wannabes becoming puppets of either the Federation or KDF.

I played the beta up to Mind Games and when it became clear that there was actually no way of genuinely becoming a deep cover Tal Shiar operative (which would have taken what...two or three different dialogue choices, a few paragraphs of text and a set of 2-3 Tal Shiar missions to satisfy the player?) I gave up and stopped.

When I heard about this game update, I thought it would be like City of Villains and the Romulans would be the bad guys that the Klingons in this game never were.

But nope, you're stuck with Spock's fanboy. There's no choice.

I guess I'll go sit in the corner again until the Borg faction finally come out. And if the Devs TRIBBLE that one up as well by making the player some kind of weird liberated good-guy Borg...well that's when I'll just give up and go be a Sith in ToR. Again.
  • Options
    gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    really the whole ally thing plays very little into the faction now that the romulan toons can not use ally T5 ships. it only dictates what fleet you can join. that's it.

story wise only 2 maybe 3 missions really have any thing to do with your ally and they just boil down to what NPCs spawn in big fleet battles or what NPCs you fight in one mission
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • Options
    methodus2063methodus2063 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    casbyness wrote: »
    I guess I'll go sit in the corner again until the Borg faction finally come out. And if the Devs TRIBBLE that one up as well by making the player some kind of weird liberated good-guy Borg...well that's when I'll just give up and go be a Sith in ToR. Again.

Then you're going to be in that corner for a very long time, because devs have already stated that if they did do the borg, then it would be a splinter group like Hu's or the one small collective trying to break away from the Borg from voyager.
    Imperial Secret Order. "we are the ones that maintain the balance of power in the universe. May our shadow never fall upon you."
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Humorously enough, if you ally with the Federation, you end up working for section 31...but never the Tal'Shiar. Heck, when 'undercover' for the Tal Shiar I must have killed hundreds of Tal Shiar agents, but can't think of any incidents where I had the option of actually following my Tal Shiar orders to the letter. heaven forbid the player have to do something they might find morally squeemish, I guess.

Personally I would havew rather had a 'monster play' option for the RSE/Tal Shiar, at least then the spirit of things would remain intact. Now we have what is essentially 'Fed lite', except I recall having at least oen mission (the return) where the palyer has the option of actually helping the RSE, imagine that. Instead, what we have in LOR is Cryptic constantly banging us about the head over how good and noble the Romulan Republic is and how evil and twisted the RSE/Tal Shiar is (and it might as well just be the tal Shiar, considering how determined Cryptic seems to be to retcon out all evidence of non-Tal Shiar Romulan military forces) This was painfully evident when you had to decode the Tal Shiar files which basically painted D'tan as an angel who never did anything wrong. I'm happy I got my 1 hour in on tribble, because I don't see myself playing LoR much, if at all, in the future.
  • Options
    skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Or maybe it'd be too hard and resource intensive?

*Looks at WoW and sees the Horde has a good number of players*
  • Options
    skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    WoW is ridiculously grey and grey for morality, though.

No. Its really not as grey as some would like to believe. Of course, evil is not tied to an entire faction, rather to some races from the Horde that are particularly extra evil.