test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Maintenance (May 4, 2013)

Comments

• maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Better server(s) would be nice brandon.. especially with LoR not so far off.

sure u pay the hundreads of thousands dolla bill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    UPDATE: We are planning to conduct this maintenance at 8PM PDT (click here to view in your timezone) and expect it to last for 4 hours.

Also, there seems to be some speculation that Neverwinter, Champions and STO are on the same "server". While there are shared resources between the various Cryptic games, maintenance on one game does not necessarily mean that all games will undergo maintenance. Similarly, if one game goes down, it does not mean that all games will go down. All Cryptic games and services are affected for this is particular maintenance as we are performing work on network hardware in our data center.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Good to know 8 PM got a little over two hours of game time

Thanks for the link helped alot
  • travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yay, so we have to sit through another few hours of downtime.

Oh well, at least this one is 'scheduled'.
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • snakeswar2snakeswar2 Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    its eather they have vmware to host the games or they have seperate servers for each game but hooked up thru one switch, if its the second one they might be hooking up a better switch. on the first one idk what they gonna be doing right off hand
  • ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Again?

That makes what? 10 total hours of downtime in like 3 days?

Perhaps Cryptic needs to spend some of the money they are making on massive IT upgrades.

Looks like SWTOR gets my business tonight. Perhaps many more in the future.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Replacing the Hamster wheel instead of the Hamster is a good idea....glad you guys are fixing it....Unlike most people on this game, I actually go out on a Saturday night, so i won't be affected. Plus i'm on the East coast.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zilla75 wrote: »
    totally unacceptable. Do you guys not want my money anymore? can you not do this at 2 am? What is your deal? 4 hrs is waaaayyy too long for a sat primetime hours.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes

Its always 2am somewhere in the world. Your problem instantly fixed \o/
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Again?

Looks like SWTOR gets my business tonight. Perhaps many more in the future.

I'd rather play no game at all than manage my money so badly that I'd voluntarily play a game that locks it's in-game mail system behind a paywall.

Then again you could go over there, pay them money, and then use the mail system to best express your internet rage, I suppose. Then I guess everyone wins.

What is it with people around here threatening to jump on board the Titanic of MMO's?

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • howiedizzlehowiedizzle Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd rather play no game at all than manage my money so badly that I'd voluntarily play a game that locks it's in-game mail system behind a paywall.

Then again you could go over there, pay them money, and then use the mail system to best express your internet rage, I suppose. Then I guess everyone wins.

What is it with people around here threatening to jump on board the Titanic of MMO's?

Lol, exactly... The people at EA haven't even begun to pay for the badness they've created in the world...
  • amarad4658amarad4658 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jam062307 wrote: »
    last two nights actually. 3 days in a row we are having server outages because of Neverwinter. Cryptics MO, bork your existing veteran customer base in favor of new naive players.

Oh yes because STO is so much more important than Neverwinter for Crytpic's/PWE's bottom line.What a douche statement.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    With the previous..."outages" - the forums remained up. With the notification here being all Cryptic games and services - does that include the site, forums, etc?

edit: Or will that be fine - since it's hosted through PWE?
  • mrspam404mrspam404 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    usscapital wrote: »
    I though some hardware had failed hence the downtime , how is "Additional performance optimizations" going to stop this from happening ?

Because they prob lied about the hardware failure. What was that bull they said the other night, (they were bringing everything online step by step, and then they were gonna get a new shiny peice of hardware in place as soon as they could.) It didn't quite sound right to me at the time, since you'd have to replace the broken hardware first....

But anyways good call doing a 4 hour maintenance on a Saturday night. Prime time Saturday night for us Americans. One of two nights the majority of people have off from work/school. I used to defend this company, but how they handle this game is really a complete joke anymore. WHy blame them tho, their newest cash cow, Neverwinter is here, maybe they'll keep the servers up when they actually wanna sell some stuff for LOR.

Personally I'm done paying anything ever again for Sto, so I'm gonna voice my opinion with my wallet.
  • ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited May 2013

To each their own. There are aspects about SWTOR that I like, and one of those aspects is they aren't shutting down servers or crashing the servers with beta testing on other games during the prime time of the weekend.

For me, this is just another bullet point to the frustration list with this game. This could be a really good game, but it seems Cryptic just doesn't really care anymore, so why should I care to keep supporting them financially?

I work for a power utility. If my company had 10 hours of outage on the weekend, or really, at anytime, you better believe that people would be angry. That's what redundancy systems are for, to minimize outages. Apparently Cryptic hasn't figured out what redundancy systems are.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • foxhunt75foxhunt75 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am so glad I have nothing better to do on a Saturday night than to cruise the cosmos in my Star Ship... Oh.. Wait..
    The Gaming Gods Hate Me
  • amarad4658amarad4658 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pretty vague brandon. But they are all on one server (correct?), so if you have high demand on a certain game "depending on load" it will effect the others. Its been seen with champs ect when sto went live. No affence I hate when you guys chat about things, you guys try to avoid saying to much when we want answers when we see this many drops in service in the last few days. Not to mention one day it was down almost 6+ hrs.

Whats being done in terms of making sure there is no lag or isses soley for STO? I went on today and still experiencing lag, and it all started when Neverwinter went open beta...

And dont forget we hae a huge expansion soley for STO coming up in the next few weeks.. id expect huge numbers to be online...

He just said they aren't on the same server.They share the same network equipment which is what they are fxing/upgrading.What part don't you understand?
  • sonoframonsonoframon Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To each their own. There are aspects about SWTOR that I like, and one of those aspects is they aren't shutting down servers or crashing the servers with beta testing on other games during the prime time of the weekend.

For me, this is just another bullet point to the frustration list with this game. This could be a really good game, but it seems Cryptic just doesn't really care anymore, so why should I care to keep supporting them financially?

I work for a power utility. If my company had 10 hours of outage on the weekend, or really, at anytime, you better believe that people would be angry. That's what redundancy systems are for, to minimize outages. Apparently Cryptic hasn't figured out what redundancy systems are.

+INFINITY TO YOU SIR.

But unfortunately, this isn't a Perfect World. :D
    WELL IF THE JAPORI INCIDENT HAS TAUGHT ME ANYTHING, IT'S THAT MY EXISTENCE IS AN EXPLOIT. THANKS CRYPTIC.

IF YOU ARE READING MY SIG - THEN YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG
  • mrspam404mrspam404 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    amarad4658 wrote: »
    He just said they aren't on the same server.They share the same network equipment which is what they are fxing/upgrading.What part don't you understand?

No he didn't tho. He never said they were not on the same server.
  • kelorelkelorel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mrspam404 wrote: »
    Because they prob lied about the hardware failure. What was that bull they said the other night, (they were bringing everything online step by step, and then they were gonna get a new shiny peice of hardware in place as soon as they could.) It didn't quite sound right to me at the time, since you'd have to replace the broken hardware first....

But anyways good call doing a 4 hour maintenance on a Saturday night. Prime time Saturday night for us Americans. One of two nights the majority of people have off from work/school. I used to defend this company, but how they handle this game is really a complete joke anymore. WHy blame them tho, their newest cash cow, Neverwinter is here, maybe they'll keep the servers up when they actually wanna sell some stuff for LOR.

Personally I'm done paying anything ever again for Sto, so I'm gonna voice my opinion with my wallet.
    The severe outage that occurred earlier was fixed to ensure that specific network wide crash never occurs again. So in a way it does make sense. The down time here is not to kick you in the balls, its to fix the lag and other connection issues being caused by the added load to the network. Be happy they are telling you what they are doing here.

Also, the world does not revolve around Americans, surprised? They are setting this time for maintenance because it is what they feel works best for them and is as reasonable as possible. This is a larger maintenance than usual so it takes more time and more workers than normal to fix, which is why this isn't happening at 2am.
    But don't let me stop you from whining and making a fool of yourself. More laughs for me.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited May 2013
    mrspam404 wrote: »
    No he didn't tho. He never said they were not on the same server.

I didn't? :confused: What amarad4658 said is accurate and exactly what I was conveying.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • srspellssrspells Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yea told people same thing guess I was right. thanks brian for clear up.
    -SPells
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To the 99.999% of the people posting in this thread who have no clue what's really going on in the Server room right now, give it a rest. Does anyone here actually thing Cryptic wanted their system to go down on a weekend? Does anyone here actually believe someone at Cryptic said to themselves: "let's TRIBBLE with all these nerds and see how much rage we can generate from them this weekend by crashing the system Friday and Saturday night!"?

I can assure you that Cryptic is as upset about it as you are. You're losing a few hours of play and instead are watching television. They're losing the thousands of dollars all of you would have been spending. Trust me, the issue is bigger to them then it is to all of you.

It will be fixes as quickly as it is possible to be fixed.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • gojoredgojored Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Brandon, thank you for letting us know you guys are on it! Hardware issues can sometimes be a real ( ) to isolate. I know. Anyhow, thanks for getting on it and being up front with us. np 4 hours? not a big deal at all some may grumble, they need some rw time i think. take thier sweetheart out or such. (they should do that ennyhow!) and to all the college students out there? STUDY!! finals are next week lol. I know, I have some finals myself.

Now, about that Diderex....
    :cool:
    [SIGPIC]tritrophic mutualism: we get a viable game experience, and perfect worlds new ai "ARC" dines on our zen[/SIGPIC]
  • kreugekreuge Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I m glad something is being fixed. But on a Saturday night?
  • sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aukterus1 wrote: »
    /votes to push it to 2am PDT. This makes more sense.

During Saturday primetime 8PM PT?! This is the only time that I can play. Please move it to 2AM!
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    4 hours... must be how long it takes to defrag a server hard drive array? :D
  • silverrain79silverrain79 Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey... While you're in there... Could ya'll fix that lagfest known as Starbase Fleet Defense? Nothing like a space battle in stop motion animation. And I really hope it's worth taking the game offline at 10pm CST on a Saturday night... I was really glad I got off work early and had a little time to get some STO in, then I got the chat notification of woe. =-(
    Delirium Tremens
    XO of Training
    Tier 5 Starbase, Tier 3 Embassy, Tier 3 Dilithium Mine, Tier 3 Spire
    Join us at www.dtfleet.com
  • strighfellow2015strighfellow2015 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To bring the server down during the highest usage period what are they thinking...Not thinking is a better answer.....
  • tahlloltahllol Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    To the 99.999% of the people posting in this thread who have no clue what's really going on in the Server room right now, give it a rest. Does anyone here actually thing Cryptic wanted their system to go down on a weekend? Does anyone here actually believe someone at Cryptic said to themselves: "let's TRIBBLE with all these nerds and see how much rage we can generate from them this weekend by crashing the system Friday and Saturday night!"?

I can assure you that Cryptic is as upset about it as you are. You're losing a few hours of play and instead are watching television. They're losing the thousands of dollars all of you would have been spending. Trust me, the issue is bigger to them then it is to all of you.

Actually in this case they are taking the servers down themselves which means they want to take it down on a weekend. Obviously they like TRIBBLE and pissing off the players since they do NOTHING to reward us for lost time. If they didn't they would be giving us some type of compensation for the loss of dilithium, ec, and everything else we are losing because of their complete and utter incompetence.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited May 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »

I'm going to need to investigate if you're secretly one of our Engineers posting :P

This sums it up well, though. Having to bring down the network for this maintenance is unfortunate, and we definitely would much rather our games be up, but it's something that's required to help increase network stability to avoid any more outages. We considered every option we could to find an alternative solution, but the only way to get these optimizations in is with this maintenance. We appreciate your understanding, and empathize with you all -- we all play our games too and would rather be in them right along side you all tonight.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • chilly1973chilly1973 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GRRR wont be back up till about bedtime for me :( i been busy with RL Stuff all day and only able to play for couple hours max :(
This discussion has been closed.