Options

TRIBBLE Maintenance and Release Notes - April 29, 2013

Comments

• Options
    threat21threat21 Member Posts: 300
    edited April 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Wouldn't YOU like to know. . . :D

But seriously, I do want to tell you, but I actually really want to see if/what you guys notice. So I'm not going to say anything right now. There's nothing huge here, so you should just play like normal and see if anything sticks out.

I see more detail on normal maps and on shine maps. windows and lights are definitely more pronounced.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited April 2013
    The team still continues to investigate the patching problems you've been reporting, but please don't forget to disable the proxy on your launcher if you've enabled it -- using the proxy unnecessarily may cause suboptimal performance.

EDIT: This should be resolved. Please take note of the bolded part above.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    velhymstovelhymsto Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yes

"its A Fake" Emote
  • Options
    gralerongraleron Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    But seriously, I do want to tell you, but I actually really want to see if/what you guys notice.

Details seem to be popping out more than they are on Holodeck. There's definitely an improvement, but I lack the technical vocabulary to express what it is.
    Vice Admiral Elaron, USS Hard Light
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The Klingons got two low level BOP
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2013
    Ok, before I run off to get my beauty sleep, I'll just ask this to those of you noticing the texture changes.

Do you like it? Dislike it? Why? Why not?

Thanks all
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    antrenosantrenos Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    1. Like

2. Did you do anything to interior models at all? ESD feels more... scaled, somehow. On the interior that is.

I did notice a few "shadow" errors, in the corridors of ESD.
  • Options
    threat21threat21 Member Posts: 300
    edited April 2013
    Ok, before I run off to get my beauty sleep, I'll just ask this to those of you noticing the texture changes.

Thanks all

well ya, more detail is always better. honestly tho, side by side its the diff tween TV broadcast of TNG and TNG remastered in HD.
  • Options
    stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The Ha'apax rock's!
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • Options
    backyardserenadebackyardserenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I do have the feeling the textures look a little crisper, like they were somehow sharpened (I'm thinking of the photoshop effect). Lights also seem to pop out a little more (especially with ESD exterior, could be the Earth atmosphere effect missing, though).

The textures look better from afar - I seem to see more details in the distance. Getting close to objects, they look a little more pixelated to me.

Thing is, this could all be a trick of minds. Lots of people have reported over the years that Tribble looks somewhat better - you telling us that you changed the textures could already trigger some kind of false perception, lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
  • Options
    cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If only we had side by side comparisons its a lot to take in , but as far as i can tell the details are a lot better, and everything indeed looks crisper.
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Thanks all

I noticed that the "Mystery Room" on the Romulan Ship Interior (that I was guessing was some sort of plumbing monitoring station {by the giant pipes next to the console that you could sit next to} or a payroll cage {from the barred windows}) has changed into some sort of greenhouse/horticulture area.

I do like the texture changes overall though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Everything is like an Android's bottom
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Making earth rotate wouldn't be too hard. But ESD is supposed to be in geosynchronous orbit, so in reality, the earth wouldn't appear to spin, but the sun would appear to rotate around Earth AND ESD.

However, we'd need some programmer to help unlock something that imo was hastily locked out since the launch of the game.

Updating the star is not a ton of work, and is part of what I did for my Sol planet system maps, but those seem doomed to the warehouse with the ark in it. If I can ever get the go ahead to update Earth Space, I would do it in a heartbeat, in the middle of the night, on a weekend, on Christmas.

One thing that bothers me is the vantage point from which we view ESD while inside. The scaling makes no sense, and would require ESD to be a fraction of its actual size. IMO, if you ever get the go-ahead, you should move the vantage point of the main floor up into the towers on the tip top of the station. When you look out the window, the other towers should be appropriately enormous.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • Options
    backyardserenadebackyardserenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    OK, things look definitely worse in some interior places that had low-res pictures to beginn with. The Belfast/Defiant interior LCARS textures never looked great, but the pixels are very noticable now. Same is true for some edges, wall textures and displays on ESD and DS9.

Other things look a lot better (carpets, uniforms). Vast improvements have been made to things thad have a texture feel (you know, carpets, uniforms).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Thanks all

I like the fact that even on halfed resolution which is what I run on most times due to my system things look a whole lot sharper then they did before.
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bayonettawiccanbayonettawiccan Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Am I the only one getting this error in the link below?

http://oi39.tinypic.com/vnkzdt.jpg
  • Options
    talgeezetalgeeze Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Were warped textures on ships like Sovereign corrected with the texture upgrade ?
  • Options
    daemonhelddaemonheld Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Am I the only one getting this error in the link below?

http://oi39.tinypic.com/vnkzdt.jpg

I have not received that error...

Jolan'tru
  • Options
    chaosgod777chaosgod777 Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    One thing that bothers me is the vantage point from which we view ESD while inside. The scaling makes no sense, and would require ESD to be a fraction of its actual size. IMO, if you ever get the go-ahead, you should move the vantage point of the main floor up into the towers on the tip top of the station. When you look out the window, the other towers should be appropriately enormous.

As well as connecting a view of the ship traffic outside the station. would give it a feel of a starbase and not some out of the way place.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    daemonheld wrote: »

I have not received that error...

Jolan'tru

I have, everytime I attempt to get onto the tribble server. holodeck works just fine however. And it started after this patch.
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wouldn't YOU like to know. . . :D

But seriously, I do want to tell you, but I actually really want to see if/what you guys notice. So I'm not going to say anything right now. There's nothing huge here, so you should just play like normal and see if anything sticks out.

Something very similar to what was done for textures will have to be done to ship models to fix those black triangle errors. But that is not this.

the kdf shipyard looks amazing now, didn't see look at first city though
  • Options
    harryyoungharryyoung Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    2 Clear things I noted with the texture-upgrade so far: any LCARSish texture has improved and the lighting in general seems to have improved. I'm going to check more stuff once I'm back from work.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Still gettting
    Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL) while while creating a render target texture.

Technical Details: D3ERR_INVALIDCALL while creading 3D texture size 64 x 64 x 1 (1 mips (RTEX_DXT5) NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE

PLEASE HELP
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Foundry:
    • Updated the following template maps so that they will have proper pathing information after they are published:
      • Argelius II Interior
      • Borg Interior 02
      • Briarpatch Research Interior
      • Cardassian Interior 02
      • Ice Caves Interior 03
      • Kassae Station Interior
    • Added an "Alien" option to the species dropdown menu for both ground and space NPC Groups.

Not seeing this "Alien" update. Or the species dropdown.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Okay, without digging through the thread, it looks to me like skin reflectiveness was amped up, number of windows displayed on ships and stations was increased, carpet detail was increased, lighting was lowered, and nacelles/windows were given a glow.
  • Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I LOLed so hard when my Romulan toon unlocked the "It's a Fake!" emote :D

Thanks devs!

PS Perhaps, when a player gains access to the Vreenak emote on their Romulan toon, they could also get a "It's Real!" emote for their Starfleet characters?
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well my fed/rom is level 27 and still no free ship token from subcommander promotion, ah well.
  • Options
    ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Still patching here, sounds like some awesome changes. Can we progress any further in the Romulan story arc? Or still limited to the end of Temporal Ambassador?
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Hm.

Looking at this, aside from noted window/lighting changes, I'd venture that we have shinier and more granulated alpha channels for all textures.

It looks mostly GREAT.

Two problem areas though:

LCARS look slightly weaker to my eye here. Everything else looks sharper with the alpha channel microtextures (looks like several varieties including a porous one for skin). (Not the Temporal Bridge TCARS but old LCARS). If you're doing this, it may be time to bite the bullet and update LCARS. And I'd suggest getting Thomas to reinsert some of the color schemes into LCARS beyond blue. The glistening of the high def alpha channel makes things more detailed looking (along with smaller windows/light sources that glow brighter) but this makes the LCARS look worse by comparison.

Certain large objects like ships. Looking at the Romulan fighter on New Romulus. It was always a bit low rez but now the alpha channel map looks too low rez, causing pixelated glistening effect that intensifies the low def feeling.