test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Romulan Ship and Singularity Mechanic Feedback Thread

Comments

• neok182neok182 Member Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wardcalis wrote: »
    D'Dex needs a 7.5 base turn and the power drain should be -5 to all subsystems not -10

Use both D'Dex consoles and you get a 7.5 base turn.

And nothing is going to change about the power drain anytime soon so get used to it. Go back a few pages and read up how to negate it.
    ACCESS DENIED
  • kamipoikamipoi Member Posts: 365 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pick klingon ;-) buy plasmatic leech bird win!
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    New Ha'feh details:

Great you addded details.

Except the H'afeh is now covered in red ligts. This would be the first Romulan ship that uses Red for lighting. Seems very out of place
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    kamipoi wrote: »
    pick klingon ;-) buy plasmatic leech bird win!

stop tempting me with that! want to stay with my fed fleet lol

*edit* just realized stupid quote system messed up
    ACCESS DENIED
  • jtoney3448jtoney3448 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Far as im aware the +2 turn from the set isnt to base turnrate but rather like an RCS console and adds +2 to total. If it added it to base it would be 7.5 + rest of stuff vs 5.5 + rest of stuff +2. Will end up being very diff numbers.

And the power drain for Singularity cores is to much in my book at -40 at lower levels is far to heavy a price with already limited power. And since the singularity cores burn any power stored when an ability is used no point in making it that big of a drain. Throw in that the gap between Fed/KDF and romulans start off at -40 power and then we add in the fact that warp cores are vastly better at power output the gap only widens.

-20 is more balanced. The singularity powers are nice but not overly useful, battle cloak is the same if used poorly itll cost you your ship. Romulan ship cores already have enough down sides to balance it out without the drain being so steep.

They take time to charge.
    The powers are weak.
    They provide less power.
    Once used they cant be used for 1 min.
    Once used they have to recharge after 1min is up.
    Once used you lose any +power gained for 1min.
    Must maintain battle to keep charged, hard to make use of that battle cloak and keep core up.

Id say thats enough to balance them alone.
    edited May 2013
    that really is the biggest issue with the singularity, it just doesn't make any sense what the devs really wanted out of the setup.

Thanks to the -40 power loss, probably a good 80-90% of captains are going to just run full charge to get the +15 to shields, engines or auxilary. They'll still use the battle cloak but they'll never use any ability other than maybe quantum absorption.

So then, WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THE POWERS?

Whats the point of the powers if no one is going to use them?
    ACCESS DENIED
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    neok182 wrote: »
    that really is the biggest issue with the singularity, it just doesn't make any sense what the devs really wanted out of the setup.

Thanks to the -40 power loss, probably a good 80-90% of captains are going to just run full charge to get the +15 to shields, engines or auxilary. They'll still use the battle cloak but they'll never use any ability other than maybe quantum absorption.

The shockwave is great against spam.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
    edited May 2013
    toiva wrote: »
    The shockwave is great against spam.

but good enough to give up the +15 power you get from the full singularity?
    ACCESS DENIED
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    but good enough to give up the +15 power you get from the full singularity?

You get +5...then up to an additional +10 at 5pips. Using the Singularity Ability costs you 10 power, not 15...
    edited May 2013
    The more I fly the Ha'feh the more all the Red lights bug me.

This is the only Romulan ship ever with red lights.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    You get +5...then up to an additional +10 at 5pips. Using the Singularity Ability costs you 10 power, not 15...

True. but even then, is taking out pet spam and torps worth 10 shield power?

Personally i say no. I rather have the power and just absorb the attack. On my fed i never worry about pets or torp spam. even on my defiant i can take the beating.

And lets also keep in mind that at +15 it's really only +5 compared to fed/kdf.

And my warp core on tribble adds +8 energy to my shields and +5 to my engines. Romulan core at the same rarity, only gives +5 to +15 to one power. which maxes out to really only being +5 to one power at max compared to fed/kdf. again proving the point i made in my topic that warp cores are superior to singularity cores.

I would love to run a warp core on my romulan ships. i'll gladly lose the bonus to the singularity power to get an always on power boost so i can actually use my abilities instead of keeping the singularity maxed to get the max power output.
    ACCESS DENIED
  • kamipoikamipoi Member Posts: 365 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    there are four lights!

i mean wait why red? taco save us get the modeler to change those please!

also the power will force ships of the romulan kind to specialize so much they will not be fun to fly
    edited May 2013

Indeed this is one of the pitfalls of game designing. Every time i see a cooldown power in a game over 2mins i think to myself man they really didnt want anyone to use this right? The higher the cooldown the rarer the use of that power because people know its a "Oh Sh*t" button and to save it for the last min, but since you die and respawn/revive in most games people will put off using it completely just so its still available later.

End result its NEVER used. We run into the same problem with Sing cores not cause of the cooldown but the overall penalties. We spend a ton of skill points to mitigate the power loss, *which id do on any ship any how* but even mitigated we lag way behind in power.

So we charge our cores to get +10 power. +10 power to a fed/kdf ship is nice but not critical, 10 power to a rom ship who is -40 in the red? Totally vital. So am i going to blow that power for over a min+ for a gimick weak power? Sure, if its the last thing in a fight and i wont need to do anything for a while after anyhow. But aside from that? NO WAY IN HELL.

-20 power is fair and balanced. No matter how we try to make that up the gap is still there cause anything we can do a fed/kdf can do as well. And the sing powers just dont justify -40. They are nice, they are handy, but they are over all weak. Energy overcharge for example just does CRF for cannons and turrets but does LESS dmg. Sing jump gives a grav well but its weak and i see frigate npc fly away from it. Absorption is good but doesnt last long enough vs another person to be much of a deciding factor.

-20 power, and sing cores keep charge thats built out of combat, those 2 changes would make it all even. At current -40 power is far over estimating the value of the sing powers. And it seems they balanced the -40 vs the use of all 5 powers, problem is, you can only use 1 every min. So really it should be balanced around 1 power not 5.
  • lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited May 2013
    Well, i think the most important question in this whole discussion is:

Why did the devs felt the need to have the singularity powers in the first place?
    edited May 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    No, its not.

I dont necessary agree with the singularity powers but they are in, they work as a console that scales up to 5 different abilities, its pretty much 5 consoles into 1.

Now you have to balance that so the side that gets it doesnt get overpowered so what they can do is take away shields, take away hull, take away power or take away console slots.

They taken away the least problematic part because we can easy offset the drain at lv 50, under that ... yes, its a problem but then again flying a Miranda at lv 1 and at lv 50 are entirely different experiences.

What I see is people complain on how they cannot play with their Warbirds as they do with ships on Fed and KDF side that leads me asking if you want to play as a KDF or Fed then play as KDF or Fed, they intend for Romulan ships having different behavior and as much I might not agree with it, fact is I am not going to say "flush this whole mechanic out of the game" because I know they are not going to do that.

That leads me to the alternative ... you want -40 power or flying a B'rel without universal stations and far, far less turn rate? because its either -40 or something that far hurts more, either way Singularity powers are not going to go out so think carefully on what you want to lose.

I suggest you try reading my post again man. No where did i say take them out, nor did i say i wanted to fly the ship like a carbon copy. I said to balance the usefulness of the powers they had to be considered as 1, and to that effect -40 for 1 power every 2mins roughly to charge it, would you give up 40 power for 1 cstore console even if it threw in a battle cloak? I wouldnt.

Cloak while nice for an alpha is tricky to use in pvp and pve with torp and mine spam. And a single special every 2 mins needs to be a real game changer like a buffed lance that lands a crit. Lets break down the powers.

Plasma shockwave, great for killing fighters and spam. Bout it, nothing a volley of FAW/CSV cant do with ease, not something worth 40 power. Sing jump, weak easily escape able grav well, with a straight jump in your forward direction, not far enough to escape much of anything, leaves your back to your enemy more then likely, not worth 40 power.

Warpshadow, not really useful at all, -40 power? ya right, though it is spiffy looking but bout all. Now down to the best 2. Energy overcharge, now with beams its about like firing BO 0.2 not BO1 increases beam dmg a lil bit bout a tac console worth, worth 40 power? no. Using cannons its a CRF with decreased dmg not increased, totally worthless.

Last Absorption, Gives good temp shield and hull, lasts decent duration. Could be a game changer if timed right, worth 40 power? Maybe.

Keep in mind im counting these at FULL 5 charge at their maxium usefulness.

1 out of 5 is a maybe on effectiveness for the price. Battle cloak for -40 power? BC is over rated even in good hands its not easy to use. Torp and mine spam by players and npcs means you gotta go a long way before you can use it. D'd running that far? not likely, most good pvpers wont let you run, and most endgame content like borg? Ya drop that shield vs the queen, btw borg target you cloaked or not. Watch donatra decloak and fire a blast right at you while your cloaked it blows.

Im not saying remove them, or increase their power, im saying the price for them is to high. Its cost to gain simple as that. -20 power makes sing cores more balanced -40 is just to high for what you get.

I personally like the ships, even as they are, but i dont look forward to trying to do a lot of stuff at endgame with it the way it is. Anyone thinking BC and sing powers are gonna be hugely helpful in pvp/endgame pve is gonna be disappointed. Tric mines/tholian mines + torpedos will crush those hopes and dreams.

Even if nothings changed ill play rom when it goes live. But -40 power will be a steep curve for a lot of players, just hope its not so steep it makes people go back to Fed/KDF because of it. If players want to play those factions i want it be because they like them, not because of to high a price. I like things balanced so people chose what they like and arent shoe horned into something because its the best option.
  • kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    out of all 5 powers I'll rank in what i use

1) Quantum Absorption, this one is a dead give away, having extra hull and a useful shield regen for 30 seconds is great....hell with the rank 1 of this power on my guardian class i have an extra 13k hull.

2) plasma shockwave....extra damage is always good...though this can probably be cleaned by HE

3) Overload (cant remember the exact name), This is REALLY nice...it combines BO and rapid fire when using beams and cannons/turrets...its the equivalent of a rank 1 for both....and at level 5 its lasts for more than 15 seconds (cant recall exactly), it pretty much upgrades the firing cycle or all the energy weapons, instead of it being a onetime use like BO is.

4) Warp shadow...eh, the fact they dont do anything except fly around and very rarely fire a weapon (maybe 5% of the time) makes this power pretty useless...especialyl since if i keep firing after using it the enemy will retarget me anyways.

5) Singularity jump....utterly useless....its damage is near non existent and its pull is TRIBBLE also....I get MORE use from a GW than this power....and a 5 km jump forward....not really that great.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • superherofansuperherofan Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    -40 power is ridiculous to "balance" for these weak, gimmicky powers with a long cooldown that no one asked for. I would gladly get rid of them to have regular power levels back. Just saying yet again, since this is going live on Tuesday. They need to either arm up the singularity powers or weaken the power penalty.
    edited May 2013
    cynder2012 wrote: »
    out of all 5 powers I'll rank in what i use

1) Quantum Absorption, this one is a dead give away, having extra hull and a useful shield regen for 30 seconds is great....hell with the rank 1 of this power on my guardian class i have an extra 13k hull.

2) plasma shockwave....extra damage is always good...though this can probably be cleaned by HE

3) Overload (cant remember the exact name), This is REALLY nice...it combines BO and rapid fire when using beams and cannons/turrets...its the equivalent of a rank 1 for both....and at level 5 its lasts for more than 15 seconds (cant recall exactly), it pretty much upgrades the firing cycle or all the energy weapons, instead of it being a onetime use like BO is.

4) Warp shadow...eh, the fact they dont do anything except fly around and very rarely fire a weapon (maybe 5% of the time) makes this power pretty useless...especialyl since if i keep firing after using it the enemy will retarget me anyways.

5) Singularity jump....utterly useless....its damage is near non existent and its pull is TRIBBLE also....I get MORE use from a GW than this power....and a 5 km jump forward....not really that great.

My ranking is a little different than that so far:

For the Sci Ha'nom...

1) Singularity Jump...has awesome synergy with the rest of the build, providing various options on how the pain is dropped out on the target(s), and just looks cool pulsing away as targets die.

2) Plasma Shockwave...adds some additional damage over time, has nifty synergy with the builds other abilities, and can clear targetables if other stuff is on CD.

3) Energy Weapons: Singularity Overcharge...can add some single target damage and serves that point.

4) Quantum Absorption...outside of when I started a mission while still in a shuttle, there just hasn't been a need.

5) Warp Shadows...there just hasn't been a need.

For the Tac Ha'feh...

1) Energy Weapons: Singularity Overcharge...nifty to use when BO/CRF are on CD.

2) Plasma Shockwave...frag those targetables at the last moment.

3) Singularity Jump...don't have anything on this toon that really works well with this. Can clear targetables for 20s instead of the single blast that Plasma Shockwave does...but only weaker targetables.

4) Quantum Absorption...outside of when I started a mission while still in a shuttle, there just hasn't been a need.

5) Warp Shadows...there just hasn't been a need.

EW:SO, PS, SJ...they're going to vary in use depending on what I'm flying, what I'm flying it with, what kind of gearing/build/etc I'm sporting.

QA/WS...they're just...they're just meh and bah meh.

Here are the BOFF layouts for the two ships...

Sci Ha'nom

FAW1, DPA1
    TT1

EPtS1, AtS1
    TB1, HE2, PSW1, VM3
    PH1, TSS2, GW1

Tac Ha'feh

TT1, BO2, APO1, APO3
    THY1, DPA1, CRF2

EPtS1, AtS1
    EPtW1

HE1, TSS2

Course, there's the Singularity Core that they're using:

Dual Injection Singularity Core Mk XI [SingA][SingC][SST]
    +5 to 15 Engine Power, based on your Singularity Charge level
    Maximum Warp Factor 10
    Increases your Singularity Charge rate by 20%
    Reduces the cooldown time on Singularity Power use by 10%
    +20% Turnrate while in Slipstream
    edited May 2013
    Okay, the following guys have no traits/skills/gear that boost any of their subsystem power levels. Don't ask me why, I don't know - don't understand why they wouldn't - don't care that they haven't. As such, they're eating the full -40 power.

Andrew - doesn't use any Singularity Abilities. He 5pips so he's only eating -30 power instead of -40. What is the -30 balancing?

Blake - has a single Singularity Ability that he finds useful. When he 5pips and uses that ability, he's actually eating -50 power. Is that single Ability worth -50 power?

Chuck - he finds all the Singularity Abilities useful in different scenarios. When he 5pips and uses whatever ability he finds most prudent to use, again he's going to be eating -50 power. Is the choice of Abilities (given the duration, the cooldown, and the time to build back up Singularity Charge) worth -50 power?

Dave, Eddie, and Frank - actually find certain Singularity Abilities useful; but they think some are just a waste. When they 5pip and use an ability, once more they're eating -50 power to do so. Is there personal/limited choice of Abilities (given the duration, the cooldown, and the time to build back up Singularity Charge) worth -50 power?

Gary - is flying a torp boat. He has no energy weapons. He cannot use Energy Weapons: Singularity Overcharge. Right there in the name, it only boosts Energy Weapons. So even if he has a use for the other four Singularity Abilities, when he 5pips and uses one of them...he's at -50 power.

Can go through all sorts of examples for Henry, Ian, Jake, Kevin, Luke, Marty, Nick, Owen, Paul, Quentin, Robbie, Steve, Timmy, Uriah, Vance, Walter, Xander, Yannick, and Zeke...

What is the "mid point" - what is the balancing point - what exactly is balancing that -30/-50 subsystem power for these guys? Obviously some will get more out of it than others, etc, etc, etc...so what's the actual balancing point for the loss?
  • hyoukihyouki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cynder2012 wrote: »

The damage isn't what makes this valuable; the accuracy/(perception?)/damage debuff is. Drop this on a group of enemies (or on a big, nasty, immobile enemy like the eSTFs are full of) and they will be blind and powerless for the duration.

Also, it lets you combo with yourself with Gravity Well; drop GW, charge and drop SJ, and anybody caught in both is pretty well stuck til one expires, taking damage from both and helpless to return fire. Eject Warp Plasma also combos nicely with SJ; slather the target in the plasma and jump away, the plasma keeps them from moving away from the SJ, the SJ keeps them from escaping the plasma, and they're stuck, blind, and taking damage for the duration.

SJ has a lot more potential than you might think.
    edited May 2013
    Just making my daily complaint about all the red lights on the Ha'feh.

The Designers should google Romulan ships and see if they can find one example of Romulan ships with red details.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Just making my daily complaint about all the red lights on the Ha'feh.

The Designers should google Romulan ships and see if they can find one example of Romulan ships with red details.

I'm still trying to find red lights...
  • umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 748 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are five lights. :D
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    True. but even then, is taking out pet spam and torps worth 10 shield power?

Just felt the need to respond, personnal opinion of course.

10 shield power? Sure.
    10 engine power? Depends on the ship and situation, but usually yes. (Honestly, I don't make builds that would depend on 10 engine power to turn.)
    10 auxiliary power? Yes, bar some rare occasions.

But that is just me, I'm used to cycling 2 different EPtX abilities on all ships, that's about an additional 50-60 power I can play with. Then there's also Aux2Batt...

In the end, while it's a noticeable disadvantage, I'm pretty much fine with it. The ships themselves are solid.

And to respond to some, Devs added singularity abilities to make warbirds "special". hey said so several times (they felt the need to make the fact Romulans use singularity warp cores apparent, as well as their science penchant).
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
    edited May 2013
    I'm still trying to find red lights...

you might not be using the new skins and still have the generic one.

Go Hafeh, Hafeh, Hafeh and then you'll get all the red details. Looks more appropriate to cardassians or feds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    you might not be using the new skins and still have the generic one.

Go Hafeh, Hafeh, Hafeh and then you'll get all the red details. Looks more appropriate to cardassians or feds.

It was the material. Switching back to material 1 I see them.
  • peter1z9peter1z9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kamipoi wrote: »
    and then there is the plain crazy cryptic dudes that think singularity abilities are worth that much power ;-)

Not to mention a shared one minute cooldown before you can even start rebuilding singularity power.

If it wasn't for the stupid shared cooldown, some of the abilities might actually be more useful than as an "Oh, S**T!" button in emergencies. Seriously, what were the Devs thinking when they came up with such a huge penalty for somewhat lackluster abilities you can use so infrequently?

The way I would implement it would be to get rid of the 1 minute cooldown and let the players start recharging singularity charges immediately after using one of the powers. Then the power penalty would be worth it just for the hull heal, teleport, rapid fire, and of course, the battle cloak.
    "Our Bugs are working as intended" - Cryptic
    edited May 2013
    Something to consider...with an example of two ships (well, four):

Ha'feh Assault Warbird

Weapons: 4/3
    Hull: 31000
    Shield Mod: 0.9
    Crew: 500
    Turn: 16
    Devices: 2
    Consoles: 4 - 3 - 2
    Abilities: Romulan Battle Cloak, Singularity Core, Singularity Abilities

X, X, X, X
    X, X, X

X, X
    X

X, X

Patrol Escort

Hull: 31000
    Shield Mod: 0.9
    Crew: 200
    Turn: 16
    Consoles: 4 - 3 - 2
    Abilities: Warp Core

X, X, X, X
    X, X, X

X, X
    X

X, X

So if you give the Ha'feh a Warp Core...er...what's balancing the Battle Cloak?

Ha'nom Guardian Warbird

Weapons: 3/3
    Hull: 30000
    Shield Mod: 1.3
    Crew: 1500
    Turn: 10
    Devices: 3
    Consoles: 3 - 2 - 4
    Abilities: Romulan Battle Cloak, Singularity Core, Singularity Abilities

X, X
    X

X, X
    X, X, X, X
    X, X, X

Recon Science Vessel

Weapons: 3/3
    Hull: 27000
    Shield Mod: 1.3
    Crew: 1500
    Turn: 13
    Devices: 3
    Consoles: 3 - 2 - 4
    Abilities: Warp Core

X, X
    X

X, X
    X, X, X, X
    X, X, X

So while there is a loss of Hull for the increase in Turn, were you to give the Ha'nom a Warp Core instead of a Singularity Core...what's balancing the Battle Cloak?

It's just something to consider for folks that may not be considering it...
    ...obviously the lower subsystem power levels is not just about the Singularity Core and Singularity abilities.
    edited May 2013
    So while there is a loss of Hull for the increase in Turn, were you to give the Ha'nom a Warp Core instead of a Singularity Core...what's balancing the Battle Cloak?

It's just something to consider for folks that may not be considering it...
    ...obviously the lower subsystem power levels is not just about the Singularity Core and Singularity abilities.

Your absolutely right. And at one point they changed the power levels to -20 and gave the cloak a 40 second cooldown, pretty much making the battle part of it kinda useless since you couldn't cloak and recloak quickly.

But lets look at the b'rel which gets the battle cloak and full 200 power levels. it loses hull, and boff slots.

But on the romulan side, the devs didn't even consider doing that. it's just lets knock -40 power off.

Personally i'd take a 30% hull reduction on any romulan ship over the -40 power. Hell lets go half way. 15% hull reduction on all ships and only -20 power. Still not balanced but at least people can manage it without being vastly overpowered by fed/kdf.

And in the end as many have stated for PVE, it won't matter, eventually we'll be up to par with current fed/kdf ships, though fed/kdf will be even higher than us thanks to warp cores.

And for obvious reason PVP gets screwed.

By this time next week your going to see dozens of topics from people who didn't play the beta or just never hit max level complaining about PVP and the power levels. And IMO, within 2 weeks, the power levels will go back to -20, which is perfectly fine by me. thats easily playable. And if they want to knock the cloak back up, do it to 30 seconds, not 40.
    ACCESS DENIED
    edited May 2013
    The B'rel has the highest turn in the game.
    It has four Universal BOFF stations.
    It has an Enhanced Battle Cloak instead of a normal Battle Cloak.

If you're going to look at the B'rel, you've got to look at the B'rel.

And if you're going to look at the B'rel, well - then you've probably got to look at the T'varo.

Fleet B'rel Retrofit

Weapons: 4/2
    Hull: 24750
    Shield Mod: 0.88
    Crew: 30
    Turn: 23
    Consoles: 3 - 4 - 3
    Power: +15 Weapon
    Abilities: Enhanced Battle Cloak, Warp Core

X, X, X, X
    X, X, X
    X, X
    X, X

Fleet T'varo Retrofit

Hull: 29700
    Shield Mod: 0.99
    Crew: 150
    Turn: 18
    Consoles: 4 - 3 - 3
    Power: +10 Weapon, +5 Engine
    Abilities: Romulan Enhanced Battle Cloak, Singularity Core, Singularity Abilities

X, X, X, X
    X

X, X
    X, X
    X, X, X

There's also this...
    Enhanced Projectile Efficiency Set (T'varo)
    +10% Projectiles Damage
    25% Cooldown Reduction for Projectiles

Note that these are all potentially subject to change at any time, etc. etc.

...which comes from having the Refit/Retrofit consoles:

Console - Universal - Singularity Stabilizer: Resets your Singularity Lockout period, and provides extra Singularity Charge.

Console - Universal - Plasma Destabilizer: Launches a massive Plasma torpedo at your target, dealing a great deal of damage over a large area and lowering the resistances of affected targets.

So while the Sci B'rel will be better than than the Sci T'varo...other than that, yeah - even with the Base 40 vs. Base 50 power, the T'varo smokes the B'rel.