Install Arc
Options

Forum Reorganization Community Discussion [Complete!]

12346»

Comments

• Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    should call it the romulan flotilla, i dont see any ship yards in the republic, at least not at first.
  • Options
    aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Another update, based on feedback:
    Additions in yellow :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

An analysis of the current Shipyards reveals that there is barely a full page worth of threads of active topics throughout a day, when you put the two shipyards together. Strongly re-consider sticking to the original proposal of only 1 shipyard.
    Keep in mind the sticky threads goes away to the Academy or Guide section, whichever you settle on, opening up more room for regular threads to be on the Front Page, makes room for 25 threads on the front page.

The original idea was fewer sections, don't backtrack on that.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Maybe I missed the discussion, but I'm not understanding why the various faction "yards" is a separate forum from "builds". There are a lot of Build discussion in the 'Yard forums and I think that is what a lot of community members gravitate to as it is.

So, it would seem to me to remove "Builds" from the forum title and just leave it as "Powers and Game Mechanics".

Alternatively, make it more clear: "Game Mechanics, Powers, and Captain Builds"

?

CmdrScarlet has a valid point. There are undoubtedly going to be ship build discussions in the Shipyard, even though it may be intended to be more about feedback regarding the visuals and performance of ships.

A rename to Powers and mechanics may be warranted.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've got no issues with the currently proposed organization.

Will the forums go down to implement it? If so, when?
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd be more inclined to search for the content I wanted if it was structured as follows:

.PVE Gameplay
    ..Federation
    ..Klingon
    ..Romulan
    .PVP Gameplay
    ..PvP Boot Camp
    .Starship Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
    ..PVE
    ..PVP
    ..Link to Academy Guides
    .Ground Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
    ..PVE
    ..PVP
    ..Link to Academy Guides

However, I feel child sub-forums can be hard to see if they are mixed with regular topics, such as in the current PVP gameplay section. The PVP boot camp forum almost gets overlooked by me when visiting because its above the forum-wide announcements section and way before the topics present in the PVP forum.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A lot of the individual forums are cluttered with a large number of stickied threads at the top. Perhaps a new topic- Stickied Threads- could be created, and all of the stickies (and future stickies) moved there?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    A lot of the individual forums are cluttered with a large number of stickied threads at the top. Perhaps a new topic- Stickied Threads- could be created, and all of the stickies (and future stickies) moved there?

Ideally most of those stickied threads gets dumped in the Academy/Player Guides section. And only super critically life or death important threads remain.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited May 2013
    I'm working on some of the changes now :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The reorganization is complete! Please note that the main index (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php) is not displaying all new forums/ changes at this time, and probably will not until later in the week, but they are available through the links below:

Information and Discussion Category: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62
    Changes:
    • "Federation News Network" is now the "Galactic News Network" forum.
    • "The Academy" has a new sub-forum: Player Guides
      • Player guides that would normally be stickied now have their own sub-forum! New threads can not be posted here. Guides created in The Academy will be considered for inclusion here.
    • "Star Trek Online Discussion" is now the "Star Trek Online General Discussion" forum.
      • This forum has had all threads from the old "General Community Feedback" forum moved to it and can be used for general discussion and feedback.
    • "Ten Forward" has a new sub-forum: Captain's Table (RP)
      • This sub-forum can be used for role playing on the forums. All forum rules apply.

Feedback Category: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71
    Changes:
      The "General Community Feedback" forum has been merged with "Star Trek Online General Discussion".
    • All threads from this forum have been moved to "Star Trek Online General Discussion".
    [*]"Romulan Gameplay" (faction exclusive content), "Romulan Flotilla" (Warbirds), "Fleet Holdings" and "Reputation Systems" feedback forums have been added.
    [*]Threads from the "Captain and BOFF Powers" feedback forum have been moved to the new "Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics" feedback forum.
    [*]Threads from the "Missions and Episodes" feedback forum have been moved to the new "Feature Episodes and Events" feedback forum.
    • There may be some Fed/ KDF specific mission threads in this new forum that will be moved to the appropriate Gameplay feedback forum as they are posted to.

The Foundry for Star Trek Online Category: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

No changes.

Fleet Administrative Station Category: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

Changes:
    • Moved this category above the "Support" category.
    • Renamed the "Starbase One" forum to "Earth Spacedock".

Support Category: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68

Changes:
    • Renamed the "PC & Technical Issues" forum to "PC, Network & Other Technical Issues".

Test Servers Category: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=227

No changes. (Redshirt forums to be removed from main index soon; they are already gone from above link and new threads/ replies can not be made)

Please let me know if you see anything out of the ordinary, or have any questions. :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Since you renamed the "General Community Feedback" to "Reputation System" and moved the threads out, it now shows an incorrect number of replies and threads history, as well as last active thread in the Index.

Player Guides is floating around down in the middle somewhere, instead of being a subforum to Academy, is this because of the "faulty" index?

Can you move the stickies from Federation Shipyard, Klingon Gameoplay, Klingon Fleetyards, the new Builds, powers and game mechanics, Duty Officer System, Featured Episodes and Events to the "Player Guides" or "Academy"?

Some of those threads are from the launch of the game, barely holding any relevance any more, some are out dated, and some just generally belong under the new "Player Guides" sub forum.

The order of the forums is due to the index not being updated correct? Reputation systems at the top is probably not ideal.

The stickies from "STO General Discussion" GM/ Customer Service/ Billing Support and Tickets should be down in the Support forum, and STO Podcasts should probably be in Ten Forward.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It may also be an idea to move the Announcement "Account Security and You" to Support, and "Dominion Lock Box FAQ" to News.

The less stickies and announcements covering the forum the better, makes for less scrolling and an easier time reading the forums.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    aexrael wrote: »
    Since you renamed the "General Community Feedback" to "Reputation System" and moved the threads out, it now shows an incorrect number of replies and threads history, as well as last active thread in the Index.

This will be corrected once someone makes a post in that forum -- the Rep system feedback forum is also further down the list, but the index has not been updated yet.

Player Guides is floating around down in the middle somewhere, instead of being a subforum to Academy, is this because of the "faulty" index?

The index has not been updated yet, but if you click the links I provided above, you will see them in the right section/order.

Can you move the stickies from Federation Shipyard, Klingon Gameoplay, Klingon Fleetyards, the new Builds, powers and game mechanics, Duty Officer System, Featured Episodes and Events to the "Player Guides" or "Academy"?

Some of those threads are from the launch of the game, barely holding any relevance any more, some are out dated, and some just generally belong under the new "Player Guides" sub forum.

Something to consider, but some of those are specific to those forums.

The order of the forums is due to the index not being updated correct? Reputation systems at the top is probably not ideal.

The index has not been updated yet, but if you click the links I provided above, you will see them in the right section/ order.

The stickies from "STO General Discussion" GM/ Customer Service/ Billing Support and Tickets should be down in the Support forum, and STO Podcasts should probably be in Ten Forward.

I'm going to keep both where they are for easy access based on the categories they are currently in :) The "support" forum is a category, so posts can't go there.

Answers in green :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It may also be an idea to move the Announcement "Account Security and You" to Support, and "Dominion Lock Box FAQ" to News.

The less stickies and announcements covering the forum the better, makes for less scrolling and an easier time reading the forums.

These announcements display on the top of every forum, but I will consider this :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    By Support forum, I should have clarified I meant the PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues forum. Makes for 1 stop shop for support related issues.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    These announcements display on the top of every forum, but I will consider this :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

That's why they are annoying Branflakes sir :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Last Request, could we have a "Mark Forums Read" button which Marks all sections Read?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Last Request, could we have a "Mark Forums Read" button which Marks all sections Read?

That's functionality, which is not due to be updated until a later date -- please leave that suggestion in this thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=437071

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    thepopeofbeersthepopeofbeers Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Looks great, Bran! Thanks for the Oxford commas :D

I couldn't help but notice, though, that the "for"s in the Foundry subforum titles are inconsistently capitalized.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Information

Galactic News Network Announcements, Dev Blogs, Promotions and other information here, hosted by BranFlakes.

Release Notes Latest release notes for STO holodeck server.

Red Alert - When the unexpected happens come here for the latest news and discussion.

Dev Tracker - Devs aren't mythical creatures and here's the proof. (Disclaimer: okay a few might be mythical creatures or science experiments gone awry) :D

Rules and Regulations - Official Rules and Regulations regarding in-game conduct and also on the forums.

C-Store and Promotions - This is where you post your feedback on the C-Store, and special promotions.

Academy Days

The Academy - New to the game? Well here's your chance to ask questions before facing the big unknown.

Player Guides - From the most seasoned Veterans, bravest warriors and most cunning operatives.

Ten forward - Introduce yourself, and make friends here! Romulan Ale is still prohibited

Holodecks - Roleplay, Fanfic, Fanart all goes here.

The Art of Star Trek Online - Discussion and feedback on STO art and game assets.

Around the Universe - Discussion of non-STO related Star Trek and general topic discussion.

Shipyards to Frontlines

Federation Shipyards - Federation ship discussion and feedback.

Klingon Shipyards - Klingon ship discussion and feedback.

Romulan Shipyards - Romulan ship discussion and feedback.

Federation Gameplay - Federation specific gameplay discussion and Feedback.

Klingon Gameplay - Klingon specific gameplay discussion and Feedback.

Romulan Gameplay - Romulan specific gameplay discussion and Feedback.

The Crew - Discussion on Bridge and Duty officers and their related systems.

Main Engineering - This is where you can share builds, and post your feedback on powers and game mechanics.

Diplomacy - Feedback on the Reputation system.

Feature Episodes and Events - Feedback on the various FE and Events (STFs, Fleet Actions, etc.).

PvP Gameplay - Everything PVP at your fingertips. The PvP Boot Camp can also be found here.

Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway - This is where you post your feedback on the controls, UI, character creator, and Gateway in Star Trek Online.

The Foundry

Mission Database - Have you written a new mission in the Foundry? Did you spot a great one and want to share? Do you have direct feedback for an author? Come on in!

Foundry Roundtable - For all discussions related to The Foundry for Star Trek Online.

Full Diagnostic - Post any bugs found regarding the The Foundry, Mission Authoring Tool here.

Foundry Suggestion Box - Is there something you really want to see added to the foundry or a change you think would be for the better, here's your place to suggest.

Fleet Summit

Federation Fleet Recruitment

Klingon Fleet Recruitment

Romulan Fleet Recruitment - FED Alliance

Romulan Fleet Recruitment - KDF Alliance

Roleplaying Specialized Fleet Recruitment - Looking for a fleet that actively participates in Role Playing? Well here's your chance to find out.

Fleet Development - Feedback and discussion on all aspects of Fleet Bases and Holdings.

Proposals and Suggestions

Federation Specific - Includes changes/additions to all the various aspects specifically related to the Federation.

Klingon Specific - Includes changes/additions to all the various aspects specifically related to the Klingons.

Romulan Specific - Includes changes/additions to all the various aspects specifically related to the Romulans.

General/Game Wide - Proposals and suggestions that would improve the game for everyone or for something non-faction related (Example, PVP, Roleplay, STF, etc.)

Diagnostics and Support

Official News on Bugs and other Technical issues - Check here for the latest news from the Dev team on progress of eliminating bugs and other technical issues related to Star Trek Online.

Gameplay Bug Support and Bug discussion - Reporting and discussion of in-game bugs amongst the community. Please also file an in-game bug report.

Connectivity and Network Errors - Having issues with lag, connecting to the game, server response, or other related issues here's you're place.

PC Software and Hardware - Having problems with software or hardware here is your place to get peer to peer help and discussions on related topics.

Graphics and Sound - Receive peer to peer support for graphical and sound issues here! File a support ticket if you need help from the Cryptic Support team.

Test Servers

Tribble Announcements and Release Notes - Announcements, news and release notes for the latest version of STO on the Tribble test server.

Tribble General Discussion and Feedback - General discussion about the Tribble test server. You may also post feedback here about upcoming changes.

Tribble Bug Reports - Discussion of bugs found on the Tribble test server. Please file a support ticket in-game to provide us with additional information.

Redshirt Announcements and Release Notes - Announcements, news and release notes for the latest version of STO on the Redshirt test server.

Redshirt General Discussion and Feedback - General discussion about the Redshirt test server. You may also post feedback here about upcoming changes.

Redshirt Bug Reports - This forum is for discussion of bugs found on the Redshirt test server. Please file a support ticket in-game to provide us with additional information.

Sorry I know that was a really long post. This layout for the forums would allow the Dev teams easier/quicker access to all the feedback, errors and suggestions in a much more organized way. Having more specific topics and sections would also help reduce or hopefully eliminate forum clutter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Looks great, Bran! Thanks for the Oxford commas :D

I couldn't help but notice, though, that the "for"s in the Foundry subforum titles are inconsistently capitalized.

Fixed!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Looking good. I keep going down to click on General Feedback and having to remind myself that it's no longer there lol. Good move though, it was too similar to General Discussion.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Forum reorganization won't accomplish much without a little friendly neighborhood genetic cleansing.

Be like Khan. It's for the collective good.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    eklinaareklinaar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Branflakes, I don't really have any specific recommendations for how to reorganize the forum, but since you're moving things around anyway, I do have one suggestion. I am the author of this stickied guide, http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=244318, Duty Officers: A Recruitment Guide. I can't edit the original posts any more ever since the forum change after PW's acquisition, and I maintain this guide on STOWiki now. The guide that remains on these forums is outdated and contains a lot of inaccurate information. I'd like to ask that it be unstickied.

Good luck on the rest of the forum reorganization.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

More specific feedback

[Guide] Science officer Kit-Skill guide Outdated
    Jedi Counsel: Career-Specific Powers (Space) Outdated
    Jedi Counsel: Emergency Power to X Outdated
    Jedi Counsel: Tactical BOff Powers Outdated
    Jedi Counsel: Engineering BOff Powers Outdated
    A comprehensive science power information reference thread Outdated
    What Aux power actually does for your powers Outdated
    Weapon information and some mechanics Outdated

Can you atleast unsticky 2 year old outdated threads?
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is there a reason the Romulan sections only show up when I view the Feedback section (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71) by itself? When I look at the forums (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php) they're not there. I literally never click to individual sections (except this time because of the dev tracker having posts in the Romulan section) like the feedback section - I'm either at the main forums or specific sub-forums, and I suspect other people will be the same.

It's especially bad because you can't get to the Feedback section from the main forums - you have to go to a Feedback subforum, and then click up top where the directory of where you are is.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    felderburg wrote: »
    Is there a reason the Romulan sections only show up when I view the Feedback section (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71) by itself? When I look at the forums (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php) they're not there. I literally never click to individual sections (except this time because of the dev tracker having posts in the Romulan section) like the feedback section - I'm either at the main forums or specific sub-forums, and I suspect other people will be the same.

Yes :) I posted about this a few pages back -- I need our Web Teams to update the index, and that will happen today or later in the week.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The forums are now showing up in the main index :)http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
This discussion has been closed.