What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Forum Reorganization Community Discussion [Complete!]

Comments

• Options
    icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Suggestions about an individual aspect (Reputation, PvP, gameplay, etc.) can be posted in the appropriate Feedback subforum, as "Feedback" encompasses suggestions :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Duly noted. Onwards, go for Alpha Quadrant News Network. :D
  • Options
    atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hi Captains,

Thanks so much for the feedback in this thread. I've compiled it and have come up with the following organization based on it:
    Information and Discussion

.<Something> News Network (still taking suggestions for a name)
    .Release Notes
    .Dev Tracker
    .The Academy
    .Star Trek Online General Discussion
    .Ten Forward
    ..Role Play Central

Feedback
    .Federation Gameplay
    .Klingon Gameplay
    .Romulan Gameplay
    .Feature Episodes and Events (FEs, STFs, Fleet Actions, queued events, etc.)
    .PvP Gameplay
    ..PvP Boot Camp
    .The Shipyard
    .Captains and Bridge Officers (classes, traits, powers, builds, etc.)
    .Duty Officer System
    .Fleet Holdings System
    .Reputation System
    .Controls and User Interface
    .The Art of Star Trek Online
    .C-Store and Promotions

The Foundry for Star Trek Online

.The Foundry For Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback
    .The Foundry For Star Trek Online - Mission Database
    .The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Bug Reports

Support

.Gameplay Bugs
    .PC & Technical Issues
    .Graphical Issues

Fleet Administrative Station

.Starbase One
    .Qo'noS
    .New Romulus

Test Servers

.Tribble - Announcements and Release Notes
    .Tribble - Bug Reports
    .Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
    .Redshirt - Announcements and Release Notes
    .Redshirt - Bug Reports
    .Redshirt - General Discussion and Feedback

This is by no means final, so I'd like to continue discussing the above, as well as other ideas.

Also, I've reached out to the content devs, and while the majority in this thread wanted to see a merge for the FED and KDF gameplay forums, it's actually better for them if it stays separated.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    I still say we should have a general mechanics subforum. It's off putting that most of the mechanics is discussed in PvP, and that's there isn't a good subforum for general mechanics suggestions.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited April 2013
    I still say we should have a general mechanics subforum. It's off putting that most of the mechanics is discussed in PvP, and that's there isn't a good subforum for general mechanics suggestions.

That would be discussed under "Captains and Bridge Officers", no? Since that encompasses powers, traits, abilities, etc.?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    That would be discussed under "Captains and Bridge Officers", no? Since that encompasses powers, traits, abilities, etc.?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    I guess? But I've never seen any Dev post in that forum (or rather, the parents subforums of that future subforum).
  • Options
    antrenosantrenos Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hi Captains,

Thanks so much for the feedback in this thread. I've compiled it and have come up with the following organization based on it:

.Release Notes
    .Dev Tracker
    .The Academy
    .Star Trek Online General Discussion (General Discussion)
    .Ten Forward (Make Ten Forward the "Roleplay Central" forums)
    ..Role Play Central

Feedback

.Federation Gameplay
    .Klingon Gameplay
    .Romulan Gameplay
    .Feature Episodes and Events (PvE Gameplay)
    .PvP Gameplay
    ..PvP Boot Camp
    .The Shipyard
    .Duty Officer System
    .Fleet Holdings System
    .Reputation System
    .C-Store and Promotions

Support

.Gameplay Bugs
    .PC & Technical Issues
    .Graphical Issues (move to 2nd spot in Support list)

.Starbase One (Earth Spacedock)
    .Qo'noS (First City)
    .New Romulus (Mol'Rihan)

Test Servers

.Tribble - Bug Reports
    .Redshirt - Bug Reports

This is by no means final, so I'd like to continue discussing the above, as well as other ideas.

Also, I've reached out to the content devs, and while the majority in this thread wanted to see a merge for the FED and KDF gameplay forums, it's actually better for them if it stays separated.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Suggestions labeled in red above. Under the Fleet Administrative section, I think it best to either name it based on location (First City, Mol'Rihan), or planet name (Earth, Qo'nos, New Romulus), or faction (Federation, Klingon, Romulan).
    icegavel wrote: »
    Duly noted. Onwards, go for Alpha Quadrant News Network. :D

Not sure about this one. Both Qo'nos and Romulus exist within the Beta Quadrant. Earth is actually located roughly in the middle boundary of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I agree with the others who say there should be mechanics subforum. Mechanics are not just about powers, traits, and abilities. They are also about things like turn rate, hull repair rate, shield resistances, etc. Currently, most of the mechanics discussions take place in the PvP forums. While it may be that PvPers have the most interest in mechanics, it is not solely a PvP issue. I have tried asking mechanics questions in The Academy with little success. That forum is used mostly for answering the questions of new players, not for detailed technical questions.

I also hope that this forum reorganization does not turn out like the last change to the forums.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    antrenos wrote: »
    Suggestions labeled in red above. Under the Fleet Administrative section, I think it best to either name it based on location (First City, Mol'Rihan), or planet name (Earth, Qo'nos, New Romulus), or faction (Federation, Klingon, Romulan)..

Ten Forward should continue to exist for intros, discussions not about the game, forum games, etc.

I'd like to stay away from the title "PvE Feedback" if posaible as we'll get some players posting faction-specific feedback into it. I'm open to other names than what I listed too :)

I think I'll update "Starbase One" to "Earth Spacedock". Anyone have any objections?

Moving "Graphical Issues" to the second spot is no problem.

frtoaster wrote: »
    I agree with the others who say there should be mechanics subforum. Mechanics are not just about powers, traits, and abilities. They are also about things like turn rate, hull repair rate, shield resistances, etc. Currently, most of the mechanics discussions take place in the PvP forums. While it may be that PvPers have the most interest in mechanics, it is not solely a PvP issue. I have tried asking mechanics questions in The Academy with little success. That forum is used mostly for answering the questions of new players, not for detailed technical questions.

I also hope that this forum reorganization does not turn out like the last change to the forums.

I'd like to try and cover mechanics in the same forum as powers, skills and traits because they can be related and the same Devs that work on "mechanics" work on those. I'm open to other names for this subforum so it's more clear that mechanics should be discussed there. We'll try and keep mechanics discussions out of the PvP subforum if they are more general and don't only relate to PvP.

This forum reorganization is not a software change, only settings. The future forum upgrade, which would be a software change, is being discussed here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=437071

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'd like to try and cover mechanics in the same forum as powers, skills and traits because they can be related and the same Devs that work on "mechanics" work on those. I'm open to other names for this subforum so it's more clear that mechanics should be discussed there. We'll try and keep mechanics discussions out of the PvP subforum if they are more general and don't only relate to PvP.
    I'd be inclined to call it "Nuts and Bolts" but that doesn't seem very Star Trek (and may not be immediately obvious)....

Oh, how about "Main Engineering (Classes, Powers, Traits, Mechanics, etc)"?
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Should the shipyards sub-forum (builds, feedback, not art, etc.) still be separated by faction?
    Are there any forums that you think should be combined?
    Is STO discussion and General Community Feedback too similar or should we keep them separated?

My Suggestion:

Latest News & Information
    - Alpha Quadrant News
    - Release Notes
    - C-Store & Promotions

Captain's Mess Hall
    - The Academy
    - Ten Forward

Feedback
    - General Community Feedback
    - Federation: Gameplay & Shipyards
    - Klingon: Gameplay & Shipyards
    - Romulan: Gameplay & Shipyards
    - PvE: Character Builds, & Powers
    - PvE: Gameplay, Missions, & Episodes
    - Duty Officers & Bridge Officers
    - User Interface & Controls
    - The Art of Star Trek Online

PvP Boot Camp
    - General PvP Feedback
    - PvP: Character Builds
    - PvP: Ship Builds

Fleet Administration
    - United Federation of Planets - (Formerly: Starbase One)
    - Klingon Empire - (Formerly: Qo'nos)
    - Romulan Star Empire - (Formerly: New Romulus)

- Foundry Community Feedback
    - Mission Database
    - Bug Reports

STO Support & Assistance
    - PC: Gameplay Bugs
    - PC: Technical Support
    - PC: Graphics Issues

Test Servers
    - Tribble: Announcements & Release Notes
    - Tribble: General Discussion & Feedback
    - Tribble: Bug Reports
  • Options
    edited April 2013

If I were visiting the forums for the first time, I would not think that "Captains and Bridge Officers" would be the subforum to discuss game mechanics. Many mechanics questions seem to belong under multiple categories. Some examples:

1. How do shield resistances work? (The Shipyard, PvP Gameplay, PvE Gameplay)

2. How does flanking work? (PvP Gameplay, PvE Gameplay)

4. How does the leadership trait work? (Captains and Bridge Officers, The Shipyard, PvP Gameplay, PvE Gameplay)

3. How do technician duty officers work? (Duty Officer System, The Shipyard, PvP Gameplay, PvE Gameplay)

It is not clear where one should post to get one's question answered. Below I have linked three recent mechanics threads that I am aware of. Notice how they appear under three different subforums.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=8340431
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=594311
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=580541
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    <Something> News Network (still taking suggestions for a name)

How about "Current Events?"
    I think I'll update "Starbase One" to "Earth Spacedock". Anyone have any objections?

I like "Starbase One", personally. But I'm good with either.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    As for <X> News Network, how about "Orion-Cygnus Arm News Network".

Most of the KDF and RSE are in the Beta Quadrant and Earth sits right at the Border of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. This would suggest a good deal of the KDF and RSE are in the Orion-Cygnus Arm as well as our Solar System.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'd be inclined to call it "Nuts and Bolts" but that doesn't seem very Star Trek (and may not be immediately obvious)....

I agree that "Main Engineering" sounds like a good title, though it may be a little unclear to people that discussions of ground mechanics go there.
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I agree that "Main Engineering" sounds like a good title, though it may be a little unclear to people that discussions of ground mechanics go there.
    The stuff I put in parenthesis would be part of the title as well.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    If I were visiting the forums for the first time, I would not think that "Captains and Bridge Officers" would be the subforum to discuss game mechanics. Many mechanics questions seem to belong under multiple categories. Some examples:

1. How do shield resistances work? (The Shipyard, PvP Gameplay, PvE Gameplay)

2. How does flanking work? (PvP Gameplay, PvE Gameplay)

3. How does the leadership trait work? (Captains and Bridge Officers, The Shipyard, PvP Gameplay, PvE Gameplay)

4. How do technician duty officers work? (Duty Officer System, The Shipyard, PvP Gameplay, PvE Gameplay)

It is not clear where one should post to get one's question answered. Below I have linked three recent mechanics threads that I am aware of. Notice how they appear under three different subforums.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=8340431
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=594311
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=580541

Neither does Ten Forward but that's where the descriptions come in.

For your examples above, I see the following:

1) - 3) would go under the subforum in discussion, so it's clear we need a better name.

4) would be the DOFF subforum

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    .Federation Gameplay
    .Klingon Gameplay
    .Romulan Gameplay
    .Feature Episodes and Events (FEs, STFs, Fleet Actions, queued events, etc.)

why arent these 1 thing? especially when so many missions are cross faction already, and more will be (not)season 8?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Maybe "Captains and Bridge Officers" should be " Captains, Bridge Officers and Mechanics"?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    why arent these 1 thing? especially when so many missions are cross faction already, and more will be (not)season 8?

I asked the content team and it's easier for them to find and act on feedback when it's separated as there are many aspects of gameplay that is unique by faction.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    For the news section it really does need to present neutrally. I suggest:

Q Continuum Illustrated
    This section is for the discussion of announcements,
    news and event blogs related to Star Trek Online.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited April 2013

How about "Nuts and (stem)bolts :P

Otherwise, I like the overall layout as posted by Bran...
    - For the news section, yes a neutral name would be nice and "Q Continuum Daily News" or "Captain's Table Telegraph" as suggested are good examples.
    - I do wish for each factions to retain their sub-forum and it seems it will be that way for the convenience of the devs anyway... Feds will not care so much as it's raining in Qo'nos or Klingon care how much Tribble are loose on SFA campus ground.
    - Leave how "Feedbacks" is, after all, a dev working on ships mechanics will know where to pick suggestions off instead of browsing a giant feedback overall forum while another dev wanting to change a trait will not want to read through 100s of posts about shield mechanics.
    - I agree names for fleet administartion station, use location names... after all, you called it STATION, so go for Earth Spacedock, First City and Mol'Rihan.

Overall, nice reorganization. There will never be a perfect layout but this one starts to be the best setup thus far.
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • Options
    aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Information Network

.News
    .Dev Tracker
    .Update Notes
    .C-Store and Promotions

Feedback & Discussions

.The Academy (New players, newbie questions)
    .General Discussion (All things not covered by another category)
    .Classes, Ships & Mechanics (classes, Ships, BOFFs, traits, powers, builds, etc.)
    .Events and Queue content (STFs, Fleet Actions, queued and calendar events, non-story missions etc.)
    .Duty Officer System
    .Fleet Holdings System
    .Reputation System
    .Federation Gameplay (Story Episodes, and all things not covered by another specific category)
    .Klingon Gameplay (Story Episodes, and all things not covered by another specific category)
    .Romulan Gameplay (Story Episodes, and all things not covered by another specific category)
    .PvP Gameplay
    ..PvP Boot Camp
    .Art, Graphics and Sound

Off Duty

.Ten Forward
    ..Role Play Central

.Starbase One
    .Qo'noS
    .New Romulus

Support

.Gameplay issues
    .Graphical Issues
    .PC & Technical Issues

Test Servers

.Tribble - Bug Reports
    .Redshirt - Bug Reports

Unfortunate, it would make things simpler and more concentrated for the players. Especially in the light of the Story Episodes converge after a point, and content remains similar. It may or may not also serve as an indirect incentive for players to try other faction content, if they read about it, which they aren't likely to if it's separate from the area they usually visit.

.The Shipyard

The problem with these two is that they cover much of the same areas, people will be asking for builds, but that will encompass both sections usually, as it involves both ground and space layouts, BOFF setups for both, and so forth. But it would also likely be too much if lumped together in a Classes, Ships and Mechanics section. Or would it? I've merged the two in the above suggestion layout.
  • Options
    zippichzippich Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    Latest News & Information
    - Alpha Quadrant News
    - Release Notes
    - C-Store & Promotions

You know that Klingon and Romulan space is in the beta quadrant, don't you? :)
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Maybe "Captains and Bridge Officers" should be " Captains, Bridge Officers and Mechanics"?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

And you'll have people wondering why they can't be Mechanics in the game ;)

I'm going to vote in favor of a subforum called "Engineering Deck" to be described as discussion of gameplay mechanics and balance.

Under Academy, I still think you should have a separate subheading for Player Guides.

. The Academy
    .. Player Guides

Scrolling past all of those stickies to find recent posts is a bit frustrating.

Not sure if the current forum software can handle it, but putting a "jump link" to the Support forums under The Academy might help people looking for help of a more technical nature.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Oh, almost forgot.

I think you should change this:

.Ten Forward
    ..Role Play Central

To this:

.Ten Forward
    .."To Boldly Go..."

Role Play Central doesn't sound very Trek to me.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hi Captains,

.Release Notes
    .Dev Tracker
    .Gameplay Questions (Yes your choice is more canon but you need to have a subforum with "questions" so that people don't post them in random sections)
    ..Guides. (former stickies, there should be no sticky in the former academy)
    .Star Trek Online General Discussion
    .Ten Forward
    .Role Play Central (why in ten forward? It should be visible on the main board, don't be afraid!)

Support (If you rename the academy, this section could be moved so that support questions don't get posted there).

.Gameplay Bugs
    .PC & Technical Issues
    .Graphical Issues

Feedback

.Federation Gameplay
    .Klingon Gameplay
    .Romulan Gameplay
    .PvE queues, Feature Episodes and Events
    .PvP Gameplay
    ..PvP Boot Camp
    .The Shipyard
    .Builds: Captains and Bridge Officers
    .Duty Officer System
    .Fleet Holdings System
    .Reputation System
    .C-Store and Promotions

.Starbase One
    .Qo'noS
    .New Romulus

Test Servers

.Tribble - Bug Reports
    .Redshirt - Bug Reports

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

My suggestions in red and some comments. I think clarity should be valued over canon names.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Scrolling past all of those stickies to find recent posts is a bit frustrating.

That's why one of you lot should take the time to make an Index Sticky. You are welcome to copy/paste the code off this and use it as the foundation. It may need a check over to see if any of the threads linked have been outdated in the past 9 months, and whether any new ones have been posted around the forum.
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Subspace News Service!
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I asked the content team and it's easier for them to find and act on feedback when it's separated as there are many aspects of gameplay that is unique by faction.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

well, you could do a pve sections, and make a fed, rom, and kdf subsection for more specific issues. their own full forum section just doesn't seem necessary
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    In regards to the "BOFFs, Captains, classes, traits, powers, mechanics, etc." subforum, it turns out we should probably separate this into Space and Ground -- like the content team and separated faction-gameplay forums, this would help the systems team.

Thoughts?
    well, you could do a pve sections, and make a fed, rom, and kdf subsection for more specific issues. their own full forum section just doesn't seem necessary

I can empathize with that, but if the content team is requesting it and it makes it easier for them to find and act on feedback, we should consider keeping it separate. In the end, players are posting in the feedback forums so that the devs read and consider their feedback -- if this makes it easier for them to do that, it's a win-win for all :)

====

For the RP Subforum, what would you think of "Captain's Table"?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    antrenosantrenos Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm partial to "Quark's Bar" myself, for the RP forum :P
This discussion has been closed.