Install Arc
Options

Deep Space Nine Development Help for Devs

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    dstahl wrote: »
    Yes and No. It is something that we are trying to finalize details about.

I don't see what the problem is...after all what's the use in unlocking all sector blocks to the Klingons if we cannot visit anything other than the areas where there might be a weekly series?...seems a waste to me.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tuskin wrote:
    On the subject of scale, I think it was an episode of STOKED that brought it up when they had one of the Dev's on the show, they had said I believe, the reason they scaled it up is when it was at 100% scale it didn't great, it was this tiny little thing, wasn't very impressive.

If they scaled it to 100% it would be the third of its size right now. And while it would be canon, I wouldn't like it. The reason it looked so big in the show is because of the dramatic Camera angles,

A lot of the shots were up close.

What I'm saying is if they scaled the exterior down, it would not look very impressive.

No one says it has to be 100%, or 1/3. Make it 1/2 or so. Ever played on a YT-1300 in SWG? Thats how it works!;)
    And it doesnt have to be impressive, its gotta be iconic. Now its just rediculous...:o
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    drgZERO wrote: »
    A few things to emphasize:
    WORMHOLE looks like a REARHOLE fix it pretty please!!
    I don't mind the outside; the inside, though, needs a bit of work.
    The DEFIANT would be sik.. coming in and warping out ever once in awhile!
    I think Al Rivera mentioned in a recent STOked episode that they tried to get the Defiant in the game, at least docked to the station. The problem was, to match the appearance of the ship docked in show, the Defiant in game would be as long as a Galaxy saucer is wide; if the Defiant was "properly scaled," it would be puny next to the station.

As for my suggestion: Turn up the lights.

Seriously, unless the setting was the Cardassian Occupation, I don't remember the station ever being so dark that you can't make out anyone's features. I know the station's old, but geez...
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    cc_johnson wrote: »
    YT-1300 in SWG? Thats how it works!;)

That wasn't to scale? I never noticed lol.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    syberghost wrote: »
    The station map is used for missions. It either has to be scaled large, or it has to be two maps instead of one and look totally different for missions.

That line was about the exterior, though I did mention the interior should be scaled down a bit. Just a bit though. The promenade looks about right size-wise. Like pretty much the rest of the interior though, it's severely off-model.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    My only request is that you make the station exterior to scale with (most of) the ships. It's absurdly large, like the old Spacedock was. It looks silly.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'd love to see Vic's Lounge brought in game. It's give the people with the formal attire C-Store costumes a place to hang out and not clash horribly, and I think it'd be a fun change of locals without actually having to the leave the station. Plus it's totally canon. :D

In a perfect world, I'd love to see Vic hanging out in his lounge talking to visitors..maybe even with the occasional song being played. Now I fully understand that's means going through licensing issues..which translates into dollars spent. But in a perfect world, we'd have unlimited development dollars, so...

But yeah! If nothing else I'd love to see Vic's brought to life on DS9..and if nothing else some original music that sounded like lounge music if it's too costly to secure some of the original tunes.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    And please get rid of the brown nebula around the station.

That brown cloud is not a nebula...... The old Cardassian station is not as advanced as the Star Fleet stations .... a few hundered years of toilet flushing caused that brown cloud :D
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Brozan wrote: »
    No we should not see Bajoran uniforms, the Militia was absorbed into starfleet.

Rather than repost why I disagree, just read my response after that one.

Or here's an analogy: in the USA, there's a national military but state militias still exist.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Rather than repost why I disagree, just read my response after that one.

Or here's an analogy: in the USA, there's a national military but state militias still exist.

Yeah, but not necessarily in this specific case. The novels chronicle the weird feelings of Kira as her uniform changed to a Starfleet one after everything was said and done. They really were folded in..
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Here's a few thoughts.
    • The shipyard should be integrated into Ops. That is where they used to run and organize ship docking and maintenance/ repairs anyway.
    • It would be cool to have a darts mini game using the new ground combat 2.0 system (someday I hope).
    • It would really be nice to see some ship traffic and the wormhole opening and closing from inside DS9, through the Promenade windows.
    • Second level access to a non-instanced quarks.
    • Holosuites.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, but not necessarily in this specific case. The novels chronicle the weird feelings of Kira as her uniform changed to a Starfleet one after everything was said and done. They really were folded in..

Novels also said the Borg launched an invasion of Alpha and Beta Quadrants with thousands of cubes, and by the end it was the Borg Collective that ceased to exist.

Fact of the matter is that Cryptic picks and chooses what they want to use or go in their own direction. A la STO website: "The iconic uniforms used by the Bajoran Militia in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine are now approved for use by Starfleet officers!"
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    the scale for the outside does not bother me too much. maybe it could be a fraction smaller but its not a huge problem.

id love to see sisko's office (yes, it is still his no matter who's in command), the security office, infirmary and i would not mind seeing the docking and habitat rings, even if they are largely empty. just add some npc's to hook up to the foundry, and add a diplomatic missions like we have on memory alpha or vulcan onto it.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Brozan wrote: »
    No we should not see Bajoran uniforms, the Militia was absorbed into starfleet.

all of my suggestions have aleady been posted, commander's office, Odo's office, Infirmiry, NPC traffic etc.

OPS always seemed reasonably accurate to me aside from the mian OPS Table and some missing cardassian chairs.

More things that can hook ot the foundry is always good too.

The Federation is like the EU. You don't TOTALLY lose your sovereignty by joining.

Member worlds have been shown to have standing militaries after joining.

Yes, Starfleet is earth's military force but this is similar to how Germany is positioned near the head of the EU's military force.

If the EU sends forces somewhere, it's sending Germany. That doesn't mean member countries don't also have their own military.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Use the habitat ring for player housing :P
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    In the recent Ask Cryptic, I saw a bit about correcting the "inaccurate Wormhole". Since the wormhole is as much a part of DS9 as the station, I thought I'd put a bit about it:

Color and scale image, using USS Defiant entering the wormhole.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I would love to be able to go into Sisko's old office once I get into Ops and see the baseball sitting on the desk. :P
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    pr1983 wrote: »
    I'd honestly like to see someone of Captain Bodeh's (sp?) species walking around.

Kind of an odd request, I know.
    Cryptic might as well get some bang for their buck since they're already designed. As many species have their own style of ships still in use I don't think it'd be beyond the realm of reason to have some Bajoran styled uniforms (or casual wear even?) around considering the system's proximity to DS9.

Almost everyone in-game on Andoria and Vulcan is a Federation citizen and yet none are in Starfleet uniforms.

Bajoran Militia would have been integrated in Starfleet, so no Militia Uniforms. And you can be a Citizen of the UFP but not be in Starfleet. SO its fine not to see people in Starfleet uniforms, for the most part where it makes sense. We saw this in the episode "Rapture", it was clearly mentioned that the militia would be subsumed by Starfleet.
    Z3R0B4NG wrote: »

ESSENTIAL design aids for the doors - which are very important tbh, we saw how much of a let down the original ESD Barn Yard doors were to immersion.

bluegeek wrote: »
    I think the question of a Klingon presence on DS-9 can be handled. After all, there are Klingons selling weapons there on the Promenade, right?

So, access to the Beta Ursae sector block should not be a problem. That can be addressed in any number of ways:

1. Grant access and open Sirius sector block so KDF can transit. We already see NPC KDF in the "southernmost" Sirius sector, so I don't see this as a big deal. It would be nice if KDF were restricted to the lower half, but I could live with it as long as they can't access any of the Federation social areas.

2. Grant access and allow transit from the Deferi sector block, which the KDF already has access to.

3. Grant access and put a special transit "door" in the Eta Eridani sector block, similar to the one that exists in the Devron sector and links to the Alpha Centauri sector block. Alternatively, warp directly to DS-9.

4. Give KDF the opportunity to claim a special Transwarp power that takes them directly to DS-9. Give it a longer cooldown than the normal Transwarp powers.

As to why KDF would be in Beta Ursae or DS-9 from a storyline perspective, you can deal with that too.

1. DS-9 could be declared a Cease Fire zone and host a diplomatic mission from the Klingon Empire.

2. The KDF player could be granted authorization as a special diplomatic courier.

3. Klingons from the Mirror Universe could have requested assistance and made arrangements with Starfleet to allow the KDF safe passage to a dimensional portal.

Use your imagination.

KDF can access Cardassian space via the Orellius Sector via Eta Eri so no need to open Sirius to them tbh - are we at war or not?

You point on why Klingons could have access is very good. While there could be a ceasefire conference underway it doesn't decide the issue on "end the war or not" yet still grants access.

Things to add:

- Morn (as already stated)
    - Holosuites in remodelled Quarks
    - Anciliarry rooms for RP - like the DS9 briefing rooms or Ward Rooms.
    - Jeffries Tubes that we say the Chief crawl through and we saw good tech for in the TOS interior set
    - Multiple locations like Qo'Nos - turbolifts to docking pylons to look out and see the Wormhole, to the habitat ring etc

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Kasensal wrote:
    That line was about the exterior, though I did mention the interior should be scaled down a bit. Just a bit though. The promenade looks about right size-wise. Like pretty much the rest of the interior though, it's severely off-model.

The only thing off-scale of the interior is height, the width seems fine. The upper Promenade windows are totally off scale, they should be the height of a Average human.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    nynik wrote:

Bajoran Militia would have been integrated in Starfleet, so no Militia Uniforms. And you can be a Citizen of the UFP but not be in Starfleet. SO its fine not to see people in Starfleet uniforms, for the most part where it makes sense. We saw this in the episode "Rapture", it was clearly mentioned that the militia would be subsumed by Starfleet.

I debunked this as a reason they can't appear a few posts up.

On a side note, lets get some Peliar Zel natives for flavor!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I am in agreement with many here, the KDF should not get access to DS9. However, if the Empire is "advancing" and traveling throughout the quadrant, I don't see why the Empire wouldn't establish forward operations bases.

For example, Empok Nor.

It would only require the alteration of one Fed mission (The Long Night) And many of the existing (or revamped) art assets could be used.

Throw a captured Romulan Station in the Iota Pavonis Sector block, the "diplomacy" system with similar Transwarp rewards (Ganalda, Empok Nor, ~Romulan Station~), and the KDF will begin to look like a force to be reckoned with as far as facilities and supply lines go.

As to DS9 Revamp suggestions:

• De-instance and redo Quarks, throw in some HoloSuite mini-instances with unique social (Vics) and combat (Jadzias Klingon Exercise program) areas.
    • Move Ship services to a Cargo Bay on the Docking ring, accessible via rolling gear-doors, altering our ships and purchasing new gear for them should be done there, changing ships should be done from Ops via an arrival and departures Officer. Also, we should beam into a Cardassian Transporter room in the cargo ring, not the Promenade, not Ops.
    • DS9 in the shows had a Bank, Vash used it, it was robbed once (I think) and we should be using it to access our bank.
    • Long range communications (mail) should be handled via many different consoles and interfaces throughout the station, there will be Mail kiosks all over Qonos when Season 4 hits, it was a brilliant idea, all location revamps from this point on should utilize that idea.
    • Of all the places to have a Vulcan Tailor.. Make it a Cardassian, give him/her a real shop with opening/closing doors, and move the Vulcan to, well, Vulcan.
    • I don't know if the tech is in for this, but working lifts between the primary and overhanging promenades, and stairs in Quarks, there shouldn't even be the slightest blink of a loading screen to move from one floor to the next. :D
    • On that thought, diversify/spread the shops available between the outer circumference of the lower level, and the inner circumference of the upper level, give us a reason to move up & down as well as around.
    • Furthermore, the windows around the Upper level of the promenade should show three different pylons, at three different places around the promenade, a view of a docked Federation ship (inspired by the new KDF Shipyard) would not be a bad idea at all (I'm hoping to see a Nomad Class docked to Upper Pylon 3 myself).
    • The Klingon Restaurant.. :rolleyes: Maybe not. But, a Bolian or Andorian Restaurant perhaps? Basically, a food vendor, with a few random uncommon foods thrown in.
    • Odos Security Office and the Brig, should be visitable, at least, maybe with a drunken Cardassian bemoaning the glory days of Cardassia before the Federation/Dominion/whoever-they-blame ruined it all.
    • More Bajoran religious indications, this is DS9, the nearest point to the Celestial Temple, and former Command of the Emissary himself. One tiny underused shrine would not be enough, this is Bajors Temple Mount.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If at this point Star Fleet lets its Officers wear ANY Choice of Uniform from Classic Trek to Modern (2409), then why in the universe would it PROHIBIT Alien StarFleet Officers from wearing their particular planet's official uniform...???

As long as it has the appropriate Star Fleet Logo/Command Structure Insignia, I see no problem with this.

I can understand a particular Captain wanting his Ships Crew to have appropriate matching uniforms while on duty, but prohibiting anybody from wearing a particular uniform in other instances would probably be considered a Discriminating Practice and would not be tolerated by any Federation Citizen.

Also, there is absolutely no reason why NPC's can not be wearing Bajoran Uniforms while working on DS-9, as we have not been informed anywhere in-game that the current Commander of DS-9 does not allow this practice.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Novels also said the Borg launched an invasion of Alpha and Beta Quadrants with thousands of cubes, and by the end it was the Borg Collective that ceased to exist.

Fact of the matter is that Cryptic picks and chooses what they want to use or go in their own direction. A la STO website: "The iconic uniforms used by the Bajoran Militia in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine are now approved for use by Starfleet officers!"

My Storyline Solution:

Kai Kira, having spent some time in a Starfleet uniform and feeling "weird" about it, approached the Federation Council and formally requested the Bajoran uniform be included in the list of uniforms approved for use by Starfleet officers.

After considering the request, the Federation Council determines that the Bajoran people played a key role in the advancement of the Federation (Bajoran wormhole) and played an important role in the defense of the Alpha Quadrant and defeat of the Dominion, and therefore they should be able to continue wearing the Bajoran uniforms if they so choose (since they already relaxed the Starfleet uniform code to include multiple options).

Bajoran Militia uniforms are now approved for use by Starfleet officers.

Case Closed.

Seriously? You have no problem seeing ancient uniforms from Star Trek: Enterprise and Star Trek: The Motion Picture? Yet you have a problem with Bajoran uniforms. Wow. Some people really DO want Starfleet to be a homosapiens-only club.

EDIT:
    Wait, wait. This just hit me....

You have absolutely NO problem having a Reman BO in full Reman attire, a Breen BO in full Breen attire, an Orion BO in full KDF attire, but you are completely opposed to a having a Starfleet officer wearing the Bajoran uniform ???

Highly Illogical!

EDIT for Clarification:
    The "you" in the comments above are intended as general "you", and are not directed at any specific individual, but more of the mindset which could be shared by more than one person.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Deyvid wrote: »

My Storyline Solution:

Kai Kira, having spent some time in a Starfleet uniform and feeling "weird" about it, approached the Federation Council and formally requested the Bajoran uniform be included in the list of uniforms approved for use by Starfleet officers.

After considering the request, the Federation Council determines that the Bajoran people played a key role in the advancement of the Federation (Bajoran wormhole) and played an important role in the defense of the Alpha Quadrant and defeat of the Dominion, and therefore they should be able to continue wearing the Bajoran uniforms if they so choose (since they already relaxed the Starfleet uniform code to include multiple options).

Bajoran Militia uniforms are now approved for use by Starfleet officers.

Case Closed.

Seriously? You have no problem seeing ancient uniforms from Star Trek: Enterprise and Star Trek: The Motion Picture? Yet you have a problem with Bajoran uniforms. Wow. Some people really DO want Starfleet to be a homosapiens-only club.

It seems I'm being quoted all around against the Bajoran Uniforms. Let me clarify that I support the uniforms the choice to use them. I was just making sure all facts were on the table for the discussion. I'm sorry for not clarifying myself earlier.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It seems I'm being quoted all around against the Bajoran Uniforms. Let me clarify that I support the uniforms the choice to use them. I was just making sure all facts were on the table for the discussion. I'm sorry for not clarifying myself earlier.

I was not using your quote as an example of someone who was opposed to the use of Bajoran uniforms, but merely as a tie-in for the idea of Kai Kira approaching the Federation Council.

Also, when I have used "you" in these comments, I should clarify that is meant as the general "you", not referring to a specific person, along the lines of "Life is like a box of Delavian chocolate, you never know what you're going to get."
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    very good suggestions everyone :D
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It has been established in soft canon that Bajor still has a home defense force that is not tied to Starfleet, so it's not a stretch that they would use the Bajoran militia uniform.

I'd like to hear DS9 theme music outside of DS9.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    maximus92 wrote: »
    I'd like to hear DS9 theme music outside of DS9.

If Cryptic could get the rights to this it would be so awesome!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If Cryptic could get the rights to this it would be so awesome!

off-topic:
    i credited you on your Tribble work today in STOI's Tribble Infomation.

you're welcome :)

On Topic:
    me too i would love to have that DS9 Theme Music outside of DS9
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    superlink1 wrote: »
    off-topic:
    i credited you on your Tribble work today in STOI's Tribble Infomation.

you're welcome :)

Thank you for finally doing that after it has been on your website for over three months.

As I was never asked about this being put on your website in the first place I would be much more comfortable if you do not use any of my works from any source in whole or in part without my written permission from hereon out.