Install Arc
Options

Re: Romulan Alliances and the Romulan Republic Faction

Comments

• Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lizwei wrote: »
    Stahl said that you must pick one or the other, and you will not advance until you do.

I can't predict the future, but I sincerely doubt that will ever happen.

So pretty much you would be stuck on what ever mission this "choosing of allied factions" is till you have picked, wonder if you could still continue to level and progress or really "the buck stops here" and you have to just pick. Again its pointless to me in making a romulan if she/he cant really be a romulan in the end. Might as well wait another 10 years till they can allow the romulans be their own people and do that then be stuck with being allies.

Wish we could all predict the future hahah, but yeah being a "republic romulan" seems that once that alliance is made, it most likely be in stone writing :(
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Stahl said that you must pick one or the other, and you will not advance until you do.

I can't predict the future, but I sincerely doubt that will ever happen.
    Can't advance in the episodes? (which I wouldn't mind, if they are as unappealing as they sound) or can't advance in level? Or does it mean you can't do *anything* once you hit 10 until you choose? I'm not sure where to look for the quote, so could you clear that up?
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Can't advance in the episodes? (which I wouldn't mind, if they are as unappealing as they sound) or can't advance in level? Or does it mean you can't do *anything* once you hit 10 until you choose? I'm not sure where to look for the quote, so could you clear that up?
    There is no way of knowing as we do not know what Missions the Roms get for those first 10 levels. Feds, for example, can go off and go Delta V, or Patrols, or Foundry, or whatever to keep gaining XP even if they don't want to do the Mission tree. We do not know if the Roms will have access to anything like that through 10. So it's quite possible you cannot advance in any way until you choose a side.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Dan said you could potentially replay the missions leading up to 10 over and over again to earn XP but I don't think you'd be able to gain any levels beyond 10 (since doing so unlocks the Doff system and you have to have chosen a faction to do so).
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yes, everything must change.

That's why the Federation should become an oppressive hierarchy where order is imposed with an iron fist and dissenting member planets are punished by orbital bombardment.

Meanwhile, the Klingon Empire should become a peaceful alliance of equal species, all represented on the High Council led by a female Orion Chancellor.

Remember, sticking to stereotypes is bad.

Yes, because only massive sweeping changes qualify as changes. You really are being disingenuous on purpose, aren't you?

Once again, and succinctly as I can put it, the Romulans aren't cowing themselves. Working with one side or another is not equivalent to folding under their rule, nor does it preclude anything that makes a Romulan a Romulan. There is nothing about this scenario that explicitly displays Romulans as weak or somehow softer than they were before.

All you have to do is get over yourself and analyze this situation without fanboy bias. No it's not optimal, but there's still absolutely enough room here for Romulans to be Romulans.
  • Options
    lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Here:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=8899591#post8899591
    dastahl wrote: »
    This choice must be made else you'll be stuck in the story with no access to the rest of the game. You could rerun the first 10 levels over and over again to get xp, but you'll miss the rest of the Romulan story if you do that.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Dan said you could potentially replay the missions leading up to 10 over and over again to earn XP but I don't think you'd be able to gain any levels beyond 10 (since doing so unlocks the Doff system and you have to have chosen a faction to do so).
    Oh, that is really rotten. So we get locked out of the DoFF system if we don't want to go Fed or KDF? That's horrible. Is the only way to get Romulan Doffs outside of the colonization missions going to be the zen-store packs then? Wow.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Yes, because only massive sweeping changes qualify as changes. You really are being disingenuous on purpose, aren't you?

Oh, you mean massive sweeping changes like forcing us to play reunificationist Romulans with no interest in expanding and protecting the empire who work for their people's sworn enemies?
    Once again, and succinctly as I can put it, the Romulans aren't cowing themselves. Working with one side or another is not equivalent to folding under their rule, nor does it preclude anything that makes a Romulan a Romulan. There is nothing about this scenario that explicitly displays Romulans as weak or somehow softer than they were before.

All you have to do is get over yourself and analyze this situation without fanboy bias. No it's not optimal, but there's still absolutely enough room here for Romulans to be Romulans.

You keep claiming that it doesn't, but you do not say how it doesn't.
    How is a Romulan who permanently binds themselves to the Federation, following Federation rules, obeying Federation orders, doing missions that promote and expand the power of the Federation, allowing their ships to be built in Federation shipyards and be staffed by Federation crews not cowing to the Federation? (insert KDF where applicable).

This so-called "alliance" is about as one-sided as you can get.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Oh, that is really rotten. So we get locked out of the DoFF system if we don't want to go Fed or KDF? That's horrible. Is the only way to get Romulan Doffs outside of the colonization missions going to be the zen-store packs then? Wow.

Romulan Doffs are being added to the other packs in-game (and presumably a mix of Romulans to the C-Store packs) - once you've chosen which faction you're allied with then you'll pick them up in much the same way you do now.

(I assume you'll be able to pick up the recruitment missions from wherever the Romulan social zone is and also from Starfleet/Klingon Academy)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Oh, you mean massive sweeping changes like forcing us to play reunificationist Romulans with no interest in expanding and protecting the empire who work for their people's sworn enemies?

How is a Romulan who permanently binds themselves to the Federation, following Federation rules, obeying Federation orders, doing missions that promote and expand the power of the Federation, allowing their ships to be built in Federation shipyards and be staffed by Federation crews not cowing to the Federation? (insert KDF where applicable).

As I mentioned earlier, we are not Romulans, we are pets....and I am out of ice cream but not tears.
  • Options
    captrott1captrott1 Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    They do not want to or lack the resources to make a ton of content. It is clear that they wanted to make use of existing content. So, the only way to make it compatible is to make it so that new factions choose to ally with one of the two existing "super" factions. This allows the already created faction specific missions to be used as well as allows for the easiest approach to giving the Romulan faction access to pre-existing featured series. It also doesn't affect the foundry or doff system. Basically they have chosen the easiest and fastest approach to getting a new faction into the game.

From a business standpoint, this is also clever as both existing super factions will be able to buy Romulan ships from the zen store. Looks like a win-win for them.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2013

It's not as drastic as you claim. RR would only help the Feds when it suits them. they don't have to.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Romulan warships on both sides.

Ugh...
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    It's not as drastic as you claim. RR would only help the Feds when it suits them. they don't have to.

Except the part where you can't leave your chosen faction and are bound to them.
    That does not imply an alliance of convenience. That implies servitude.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I find it abit funny, in some reguard that the Federation of all factions is out there just blowing things up, technically doing what they want, then we have the romulans "new faction of SORTS" coming into play here that is forced to align itself with one of the two factions "feds/kdf" but for some reason cant soley play for its own side. But yet, they were the most rulthless of all the factions out there, pretty much bent on galaxy domination.

Can someone mallet me to the head and wake me up from whatever realm ive dipped into by accident pls.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Actually ...

So we get 10 levels of mucking around and then pick the symbol of our Warbird, the Federation Delta or the Klingon Empire Very Impracticable Three Blades.

But wait ...

Why? are they TIME TRAVELING ROMULANS! of the PRESENT PAST FUTURE TENSE!

I really have no idea what the hell that means, the KDF and Federation have a linear storyline, the FE taken place at a certain timeline so how can the Romulans play the FE without TIME TRAVELING! if they are at lv 40 when the Devidians FE taken place and how that can that be AFTER the KDF and FED dealt with it before they had the Romulan FE?

Its really only the Devidians FE that are a problem in timeline because everything else happened after, unless they are messing around and removing the Devidians FE from the current timeline (that is the Federation and Klingon War fronts) and make it take place AFTER.

This wasnt a clarification since I am now even more confused.
    I posted that paragraph because the OP did not bother to include the paragraph that listed the level 10 restriction. I thought it was odd to not include the paragraph which actually stated it.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited March 2013

That is horrid, I think I might avoid making a Romulan captain after all, soemthing I'd never thoguht I'd hear myself say, considering how much of a Romulan fan I am.
    jexsamx wrote: »

The changes to the Romulans ARE 'massive sweeping changes'. They rebelled agaisnt the RSE, set up a utopian society with Remans and Romulans living in harmony and peace under the ruel of a reunificationist, and are selling out their armed forces to help build KDF and Fed starbases, help the Federation and KDF storylines (including missions where they will inevitably be murdering Romulans) and enlist themselves into *both* sides to the point of killing members of their same nation for the betterment of their Federation or KDF masters.

They could not be weaker or softer than they are now, they have been neutered of all 'romulan-ness' by Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I find it abit funny, in some reguard that the Federation of all factions is out there just blowing things up, technically doing what they want, then we have the romulans "new faction of SORTS" coming into play here that is forced to align itself with one of the two factions "feds/kdf" but for some reason cant soley play for its own side. But yet, they were the most rulthless of all the factions out there, pretty much bent on galaxy domination.

Can someone mallet me to the head and wake me up from whatever realm ive dipped into by accident pls.
    Again, what part of this game is really canon? The part where my Ferengi Fed Captain is using his Galor? The part where my Borg Fed Captain has a Jem'Hadar 1st officer? The part where my Klingon Fed Captain is killing his kinsmen in the KDF along with his Reman Science Officer?

So little of STO is canon at this point that it seem foolish to worry about one more non-canon moment.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Again, what part of this game is really canon? The part where my Ferengi Fed Captain is using his Galor? The part where my Borg Fed Captain has a Jem'Hadar 1st officer? The part where my Klingon Fed Captain is killing his kinsmen in the KDF?

So little of STO is canon at this point that it seem foolish to worry about one more non-canon moment.

So why can't I have my KDF fly in my Oddy and Excelsior? Let's have Starfleet officers in Bortasqus and Birds of Prey! FIRE THE CANNON CANON! YEEHAW!

For all the oddities of Jem'hadar ships here and timeships there, there was still a chance to create a reasonably consistent world and plot.
    This is now toast. It's gone. Absurdity is the order of the day.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Why? are they TIME TRAVELING ROMULANS! of the PRESENT PAST FUTURE TENSE!

It does makes sense :)

We don't know at what point the Romulan story line kicks in but it could even conceivably be before the Borg-related events of the Fed tutorial (the KDF tutorial doesn't have any 'events').

So it's catch-up on what's happened to the Romulan people since Hobus went kablooie leading to level 10 and picking who you're going to run errands for.

After that, some more Romulan antics and a bunch of (old) FE's then it's time for you to join Omega Force (again), grind STFs (again) and chase those adorable little Epohhs.

*Edit* Oh, and go party with the Tholians on Nukara for the 'new' reputation - won't that be fun?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    So why can't I have my KDF fly in my Oddy and Excelsior? FIRE THE CANNON CANON! YEEHAW!
    I don't know. I would think it would make more sense for a Fed to fly a captured KDF ship, and a KDF to fly a captured Fed ship, then for either to be flying captured other Faction ships. But that's just me. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I am pretty sure that could be ...
    You really think Reman would be allowed to serve on a Fed or KDF ship? The Klinks would just kill him, or torture him for info. The Feds would just send him packing, thinking he's a spy. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Again, what part of this game is really canon? The part where my Ferengi Fed Captain is using his Galor? The part where my Borg Fed Captain has a Jem'Hadar 1st officer? The part where my Klingon Fed Captain is killing his kinsmen in the KDF along with his Reman Science Officer?

Point made, I guess Ive had my shutters closed this whole time I just didnt really look back on the game in the fashion that you eloquently put it in. So I guess the next step is doctor who's tardis comes out from one of the transwarp gates and goes "IAM THE DOCTOR". And someone replys back "Doctor who?", and he replys "Exactly!".
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I don't know. I would think it would make more sense for a Fed to fly a captured KDF ship, and a KDF to fly a captured Fed ship, then for either to be flying captured other Faction ships. But that's just me. :)
    Well hey. There's a precedent with Kirk stealing that Bird of Prey to save the whales. Still, I think there si something positive to say about preserving the uniqueness of the various factions. Sure, Galors and Breen ships etc don't help that, but divying up the Romulan Star Empire between the KDF and the Federation does poor service to the Romulans.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    You really think Reman would be allowed to serve on a Fed or KDF ship? The Klinks would just kill him, or torture him for info. The Feds would just send him packing, thinking he's a spy. :)

If the Federation can elect a Saurian burn ward face as President, then they'll accept a Reman as a crewman.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Point made, I guess Ive had my shutters closed this whole time I just didnt really look back on the game in the fashion that you eloquently put it in. So I guess the next step is doctor who's tardis comes out from one of the transwarp gates and goes "IAM THE DOCTOR". And someone replys back "Doctor who?", and he replys "Exactly!".
    Well, we've already had Yoda and the lightsabers. Doctor Who could be next. :)
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sad but true, the only thing STO shares with Star Trek is the artwork