test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

T5 Constellation Class.

Comments

• misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Your dimensions are very misleading. A 737 is over 30 meters long, with a 30 meter wingspan and a seating capacity of pushing 150 people.

A Peregrine on the other hand has a theoretical maximum length (based on relative sizes of ships it appears on screen with) of just under 25 meters, and is often shown as being considerably shorter, but somewhat wider, than the Danube class runabout.

The Danube by the way measures in at (per the DS9 tech manual) 23 x 14 meters with a transport capacity of 40, a a maximum warp factor of 5. Which puts the Peregrine somewhere (roughly) in the 15x15 to 20x20 meter range.

Look at the cockpit of the Peregrine. It's barely the size of a shuttlepod. How exactly do you plan on long-term deployment when the pilot can't even stand up?

Sorry, but I have to get off the forums for today.
    I would however like to add this little bit before I leave:
    The Peregrine uses the same cockpit set as the Type 6 shuttle, giving us a clear indication of its size.
    Leaving us with this:
    http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/4859/373peregrinecomparison.jpg

Good night.
  • lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The combat scenario played out in a way that the Akira's Captain opted against fighter deployment, perhaps out of concern for his fighter wing, for wanting to keep something in reserve if things completely hit the fan, or some other reason I'm not thinking of.

Captain: "This is the Captain. Launch all fighters. Repeat, launch all fighters."

Pilot: "We launch."

Captain: "....."

Pilot: "....."

Captain: "So?"

Pilot: "Where is the button?"

Captain: "The button?"

Pilot: "To make our fighters go!"

Captain: "I don't know, you're the pilot!"

Pilot: "We are pilots. We are smart. We make our ships go. If we find the button. Which we can't. We'll keep looking!"

Captain: "... why did we hire those Pakled pilots again?"
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    Sorry, but I have to get off the forums for today.
    I would however like to add this little bit before I leave:
    The Peregrine uses the same cockpit set as the Type 6 shuttle, giving us a clear indication of its size.
    Leaving us with this:
    http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/4859/373peregrinecomparison.jpg

Good night.

Congrats on the misleading image.

The Type 6 shuttlepod has a 2 meter long cockpit (roughly, the ship is 6 meters long). From the image you posted of the Peregrine, the cockpit is roughly 1/6th the length of the ship.

Thusly, 6 cockpit lengths, 12 meters long. Or did you not mean to argue that the 737 is as small as three Toyota Camry's end to end?
  • evendzharevendzhar Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    I said they only build 6
    As long as we're going by non-canon sources, Memory Beta has a whole list of Constellation class vessels.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well, without resorting to insults as I surmise you cannot do, those fighters are just flying in formation and you are wrong. The Federation Attack Fighter aka Peregrine was seen in a modified Type 10 and Type 15 shuttlepod not a Type 6 with an estimated length of 25 to 30m.

Again, those ships need a carrier to for those explicit reasons as I stated. Especially given that there is no stated range of these ships.

You gave us two examples where it never happens again in Trek. Besides the fact, there is no other mention of starships going reverse in Trek as well.

When the fleet left Starbase 375, you have no idea what the fighters are doing, they maybe a part of the station's perimeter patrol or doing maneuvers before going into their respective ships.

The majority of MB's list is from Birth of the Federation and RPGs. If you just want to go with novels and comics, add six more.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lizwei wrote: »
    No my point is they basically said in the episode that the Enterprise's computers received the alien code, downloaded it then executed it all by themselves without asking permission.
    Basically they have less security than Windows.

or maybe the alien code was so advanced, it punched right through what might've been considered extremely good security had the virus been klingon or romulan or even dominion

of course, the fact that several federation-created viruses have spread so easily throughout the borg collective shows that computer security isn't exactly something that any race tends to focus on
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited March 2013
    That episode was mentioned 6 ships, perhaps it meant the remaining 6 ships but still thats very canon
    If that were true, it would almost certainly be mentioned on Memory Alpha. If you have the episode name and time index, I'd be happy to check it.
  • cedricophoffcedricophoff Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just making sure that i replied to this thread with "NO T5 CONNIE" already. It was an idiotic idea back when somebody first asked for one. Its an idiotic idea now. And no amount of middle aged kirk zealots will change my mind on the subject. I hope CBS keeps their foot down on this matter. Its a joke. Just like playable borg.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    this class of ship had fifteen decks and a crew complement of 535
    But didn't someone earlier in this thread say it was smaller than a Defiant?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    evendzhar wrote: »
    If that were true, it would almost certainly be mentioned on Memory Alpha. If you have the episode name and time index, I'd be happy to check it.

Let's see
    On-Screen
    Constellation NX-1974 from TUC
    Stargazer NCC-2893 from TNG The Battle, plus many references
    Hathaway NCC-2593 from TNG Peak Performance and possibly TNG Redemption
    Victory NCC-9761 from TNG Elementary, Dear Data
    NCC-7100 from Many TNG Episodes

Encyclopedia
    Magellan NCC-3069 reference in TNG Starship Mine
    Gettysburg NCC-3890 reference in TNG Too Short a Season

From Rick Sternbach
    Gihlan NCC-9761, formerly the Houbolt renamed for the designer of the Constellation-class

From Novels
    Ferrel from TNG N The Children of Hamlin
    Cochise and the Antares from the Stargazer novels, Gauntlet and Enigma
    Sempach from the TOS novel, Honor Blade
    Speedwell from the TOS novel, The Empty Chair

Valkyrie NCC-2590, the shooting model was named this for a Star Trek tour and it is disputed on whether it was named this in TNG Redemption

The ship is 310m, five meters longer than the Constitution refit. The one shot with it next to the Enterprise-D where it seemed as large was because of the angle.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just making sure that i replied to this thread with "NO T5 CONNIE" already. It was an idiotic idea back when somebody first asked for one. Its an idiotic idea now. And no amount of middle aged kirk zealots will change my mind on the subject. I hope CBS keeps their foot down on this matter. Its a joke. Just like playable borg.

constellation, not constitution, and therefore absolutely nothing to do with kirk
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    But didn't someone earlier in this thread say it was smaller than a Defiant?

Someone did, and they were summarily pounced upon.
    edited March 2013
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Peak_Performance_%28episode%29

And yes, I cannot find the reference so I withdraw the "only 6 were build" comment, unless someone brings up the Magazine as evidence.

Go up three posts, there was actually seven, granted the Magellan and the Gettysburg are disputed by MA, but I like the Encyclopedia.
  • xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If making a T5 Con Mc'badarse is an issue, why not make missions that make us use the ships we have mothballed?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    I rather not use non-canon sources, my comment was it was said in canon in that Episode as when I checked I found out nothing to support my claim.

Encyclopedia and Magazine are non-canon.

They may be non-canon in CBS' eyes, it was who they were written by that gives weight. Oh well, I do find it hilarious that people will through canon around in a video game that obviously uses various types of Trek sources, not just on-screen.
    edited March 2013
    xigbarg wrote: »
    If making a T5 Con Mc'badarse is an issue, why not make missions that make us use the ships we have mothballed?
    The Constellation class ship doesn't exist at ANY tier in this game. So no one has it mothballed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    Encyclopedia and Magazine are non-canon.
    The Encyclopedia, written by the Okudas, was used as reference for the writing staff. It's pretty darn canon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just as the plentitude of antique Galaxies flying around is a joke. And no amount of middle-aged Picard zealots will change my mind on the subject.
    edited March 2013
    The Constellation class ship doesn't exist at ANY tier in this game. So no one has it mothballed.

Actually, the Stargazer NCC-2893 was referenced in game in the mission Researcher Rescue. The Stargazer discovered ancient ruins in the Kassae System in 2349.

oh, Sternbach wrote the article about the Constellation-class and Intrepid-class in the Magazine.
    edited March 2013
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    Go up three posts, there was actually seven, granted the Magellan and the Gettysburg are disputed by MA, but I like the Encyclopedia.
    Those are just the named Constellations mentioned in one source or another, it doesn't say anything about how many were built.
    edited March 2013
    evendzhar wrote: »
    Those are just the named Constellations mentioned in one source or another, it doesn't say anything about how many were built.

Does it matter, If you go by the on-screen, novels, and the reference materials, you get 13. If you go by RPGs and Birth of the Federation video game, you have 62.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    At least the T5 Connie wins in the REAL world thanks to JJ Abrams.
    edited March 2013
    Actually, the Stargazer NCC-2893 was referenced in game in the mission Researcher Rescue. The Stargazer discovered ancient ruins in the Kassae System in 2349.
    The ship doesn't exist as a playable ship. There is no T1 Constellation. No T5 Constellation. No one has it in mothballs.

People keep confusing Constitution with Constellation and posting about the Constitution in this thread. This isn't a T5 Constitution Class Thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    The ship doesn't exist as a playable ship. There is no T1 Constellation. No T5 Constellation. No one has it in mothballs.

People keep confusing Constitution with Constellation and posting about the Constitution in this thread. This isn't a T5 Constitution Class Thread.

It doesn't really matter if it is playable or not, it is still in the game. Yeah, people need to realize that this a CONSTELLATION thread not a CONSTITUTION thread.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The T5 Constitution has to be put in first seeing without it there wouldn't be a Constellation, Soveriegn etc.

Or a STO for that matter.
    edited March 2013
    The T5 Constitution has to be put in first seeing without it there wouldn't be a Constellation, Soveriegn etc.

Or a STO for that matter.

The Constitution as a playable ship is in the game, in fact, you can have Constitution interiors with TOS era uniforms. So in the words of a wise man, quit your ********.
    edited March 2013
    It doesn't really matter if it is playable or not, it is still in the game. Yeah, people need to realize that this a CONSTELLATION thread not a CONSTITUTION thread.
    Let's review. Someone posted THIS:

So I ask you ... HOW can someone use a mothballed Constellation?

Get back to me when you figure that out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    I think he is referring to ships that we have discarded, but I could be wrong.
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Let's review. Someone posted THIS:

So I ask you ... HOW can someone use a mothballed Constellation?

Get back to me when you figure that out.

I think he's referring to the idea that the fleet mothballs old ships upon decommissioning them, rather like modern navies to to some extent.
    Rather than your literal interpretation of it as ships that we have mothballed.

Actually, I think it'd be rather cool to have pve missions where people are forced into old "clunker" ships for a little while :D
    I need a beer.

edited March 2013
    I think he's referring to the idea that the fleet mothballs old ships upon decommissioning them, rather like modern navies to to some extent.
    Rather than your literal interpretation of it as ships that we have mothballed.

Actually, I think it'd be rather cool to have pve missions where people are forced into old "clunker" ships for a little while :D

Like how Riker used the Hathaway or Kirk used the Enterprise in TSFS (granted the Enterprise was slated to be retired).
This discussion has been closed.