test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Update on Fleet Marks and Dilithium

Comments

• captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    corbormite wrote: »
    I'm no expert but 100 FM - What's that, a couple of PvE missions? An hour?

Corbomite has got to be kidding.
    Maybe you'd prefer players are given FM simply for logging in.

Yup, he's kiding.
    STO isn't perfect, the missions could be more challenging (but the way they are implemented makes making a challenging mission difficult)

Oh wait, he's serious. You're quite right STO isn't perfect. In fact, it rather far from even approaching perfect.
    eg. you always know where to go next.

No, wait. Back to kidding again.
    But imho it is improving and is fun to play if you don't have unrealistic expectations.

(My bold)
    You what? While some aspects of the game are fun, the vast majority of it is spoiled by bugs, bad missions, bad decisions taken by the powers that be and GRIND.

As for "unrealistic", I'm quite aware that bugs will happen and that sometimes there will be griefers or the odd bad decision, but the way we have been treated is utterly derisory. You sir, have effectively said "We will get nothing and we will be HAPPY".
    Unfortunately, most human beings do not share that thought.
    I need a beer.

• wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    There is a link to the beginning of this thread on every page of the thread. :)

Also, a clarification; my post was in the first page of the old thread, not of this one. Sorry for the mis-remembrance. In any event, I've made my position clear to PWE, and that's all that matters; I have no desire to convince any player to agree with me or not, you all can make up your own minds about the patch and what, if anything, should be done to change it. Spamming my opinion over and over would just make it harder for anybody else to have their voice heard.

old thread wot old thread can u post a link so i can have a look please

hmm befor i forget i ment cryptic are fools for thinking it was a good idear for nerfing something else we "liked" about the game. we the players did not put up with it last time so why would we now. :eek:
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • ferengitradersferengitraders Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I could actually get behind the idea of a universal "Mark" system vs having three different marks we have to somehow earn. Marks and dill are amazingly hard to get vs the amount I have to spend to get anywhere in the game. Hardly any new content so to me the only goal is to grind, grind,grind in hopes I can advance my fleet and get the best of the best stuff for myself in return, just to get better at PVE's.

I could support an Exchange from Rom and omega marks to fleet marks but not the other way. It defeats the whole purpose of learning your traits from gaining experience with a certain faction. People could just do stfs and get romulan skills.... Doesn't make sense. There needs to be more fleet mark opportunities in game and faction marks should be awarded for playing any mission that contains that faction.
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    it is improving and is fun to play .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

if you don't have unrealistic expectations.

I didn't realize wanting new content was unrealistic. I surely didn't know that not wanting the same stale content for meager rewards was unrealistic. I wasn't aware wanting bug fixes for bugs that have been in the game for 2+ years was unrealistic. I din't know that wanting some incentive to play the Foundry and level an alt was unrealistic.

Not all of us here are willing to continue to accept mediocrity.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • splitboysplitboy Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited February 2013

STO isn't perfect, the missions could be more challenging (but the way they are implemented makes making a challenging mission difficult - eg. you always know where to go next). But imho it is improving and is fun to play if you don't have unrealistic expectations.

Actualy i get the impression you missed his point.
    By just setting the numeric to 100 FM as a value to do math, he aimed quite low.

With Projects needing several 100 and later on several thousands of FM it is quite simple to see what his point is.

Small and medium Fleets are totaly screed by this move.

If it takes a small fleet to supply more then several Days to fuel a single project of 3 not counting the embassy that just has a runtime of 20h something smells bad.

After the removal small to medium Fleet players are forced to either run DOff CXP conversion like mad (solo content) or have to rely on pugging FE when they ain't have atleast 5 players online at the same time, what could be quite common on a one shard only a game like STO.

Just swinging back to FE why did people go for the iOR?
    Certainly not because it was convinient. With real Fleet Event granting just low rewards even when doing ecxellent the time reward ratio was just bad and not tempting at all.

Throwing in that still low level Toons are allowed to que for Fleet events does not make it easy aswell to get a good reward ratio from Fleet Event if you ahve to pug.

And again you don't even have to be in a Fleet to que for Fleet Events where does the argument make sense that no solo content should reward for Fleet content when solo player and lowlevel players that dragg the chance of a medicore sucess down are the opposite extreme that is still not addressed.

Plus instead of just removing and telling that in may a change will happen does not a single Fleet any Good ecxept maybe the so called mega Fleets that are already at T4 or now running for T5 and cold more or less fuel the FM demand just by doing lots of Officer of the Watch Dailys.

Where is the balance in this move? I don't see it at all and the Fleet i am part of as several others we are in talks with don't do aswell.

A quick fix would have been to amp the FM reward ratio by about 400% to 500% on Fleet events and reducing the iOR to about something like 10 FM but just keep it.

People don't play content they think is not worth the effort for the time and sorry for saying it aloud Fleet Events are not worth the effort not for this ridicules rewards.
  • tehburnsteptehburnstep Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2013

STO isn't perfect, the missions could be more challenging (but the way they are implemented makes making a challenging mission difficult - eg. you always know where to go next). But imho it is improving and is fun to play if you don't have unrealistic expectations.

If you like the game as is, that is perfectly fine. Far be it from *me* to tell you what you should like or dislike. The thing is though, instead of coming in with a thinly veiled "gaem iz fien l2p nub!!!111!!!!!" you could maybe point out how having any of the reasonable concerns or solutions regarding bugs, fleet progression, and pretty much anything else raised by many people in this thread addressed would ruin the game for you and not improve it over all.

*edit for typing fail
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,714 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    First, let me apologize if any of the following suggestions have already been mentioned. I attempted to read this entire thread, but I just can't keep up with all of the replies.

REWARDS REVAMP: A PROPOSAL TO CRYPTIC STUDIOS

There has been a lot of talk lately in-game and on the forums about the changes made to what rewards are earned and how. From the grumblings, it?s obvious that a lot of players are unhappy with some of the changes that have been made. It?s also obvious that Cryptic is trying to find a fair and balanced approach as to how rewards are doled out in-game. So I wanted to put forth my own proposal for consideration to revamp the rewards system.

Star Trek Online is a persistent, ever-growing galaxy with a myriad number of players and player types. Some are here to role-play. Some are here to PvP. Some are here to grow their characters and their fleets. Some are here to play episodic story missions provided by Cryptic Studios or other players via the Foundry. All are here ?to boldly go? and experience the wonder that is Star Trek.

But what many, it seems, are being forced to do is grind, grind, grind. And not just any grind. No, you MUST play THIS mission if you want THAT reward.

REWARD CHOICE

How about giving players the option as to what rewards they want to play for on any given mission?

Most every mission available in the Mission Journal from Episode Replay to Available Dailies rewards Skill Points and Expertise, and this should remain for any and all missions undertaken. In addition, many of these missions also reward Dilithium, Fleet/Omega/Romulan Marks, and/or Equipment/Items. I suggest making this standard for ALL missions: Reward Skill Points and Expertise, AND a choice between Dilithium, Marks, or Equipment/Items.

Today you might want to play ?Mission A? for Dilithium. Tomorrow you might want to play the same mission for Fleet Marks. The next day maybe you?ll play for some other reward. The point is, the players choose what rewards they?re playing for AND have the freedom to play the game the way they want to play, instead of feeling forced to play it someone else?s way.

?I need to earn my Reputation Marks to advance my character, but my fleet?s counting on me to earn Fleet Marks to advance the fleet, and I?ve got to get Dilithium to buy that Mark XII gear I?ve been wanting, but I?ve only got a couple of hours to play! ARRRGH!!!?

As I?ve already said, Star Trek Online is ever-growing and will only get bigger. There is already more in the game than any one player could ever hope to accomplish in one day?s worth of playing. And the Delta and Gamma Quadrants haven?t even been added yet, much less the remainder of Alpha and Beta! Soon players will feel, if they aren?t already, that they are missing out on something if they?re being herded toward certain content just so they can get certain rewards.

?How the hell can I earn my Fleet Marks when everyone on my ?team? goes AFK during the mission?!?

And by giving players the choice of what rewards they earn in any mission they choose to play, it should eliminate the need to constantly change which missions reward what.

?What?! They nerfed the Foundry rewards again?!??

After implementation of this choice option, then Cryptic need only adjust down how much Dilithium, Marks, and/or Equipment/Items to reward on mission completion rather than eliminate the reward(s) altogether in the event exploitation is discovered, or adjust up if a need is found for Dilithium, Marks, and/or Equipment/Items. Players will find that their favorite content will continue to reward what they want/need, even if the amounts fluctuate from time to time.

Cryptic?s metrics should then start to reflect which content players actually WANT to play versus which content they HAVE to play since all missions become equal where rewards are concerned. This would also give Cryptic the insight into where they can revamp stale content that isn?t being played or eliminate it altogether in favor of new and better content.

FLEET MARKS AND ?FLEET GAMEPLAY?

Everyone knows that Fleet Marks are to benefit the advancement of the Fleets. Mr. Stahl has stated that Fleet Marks are intended to be rewarded for ?Fleet Gameplay?. And that?s all well and good. But what exactly is ?Fleet Gameplay?? As others have said before, if you're in a Fleet, ANY rewards that a player earns in ANY mission can be used toward Fleet Advancement (i.e. Expertise, Commodities, Duty Officers). So it stands to reason, that ANY mission that a player plays should also have the potential to reward Fleet Marks.

As suggested before, give players the choice to be rewarded Fleet Marks when they complete the mission. Many missions already have the ?choose one of the following? option upon completion. Let the player choose to be rewarded with Fleet Marks. Perhaps here the amounts rewarded are less than what would be rewarded for playing a Fleet Action or Fleet Event, but it still gives the solo player the ability to earn Fleet Marks for his/her Fleet.

And in response to Mr. Stahl?s comment about Fleet Marks being intended for ?Fleet Gameplay?: Doesn?t just about any content in the game give you the opportunity to team up with other players, with players replacing members of the Away Team, etc? So then, any content in the game where players CAN team up with other players should have the potential to award Fleet Marks. And any content that REQUIRES players to team up with 5 or more other players should definitely reward Fleet Marks, albeit at a higher rate than solo content.

COMMENDATION EXPERIENCE POINTS

If you?ve maxed out your Commendation Experience Points (CXP) in any Commendation category, then you know that excess CXP can be converted to Fleet Marks by filing a Commendation Report. I propose that another way to help players earn Fleet Marks via this conversion process is by designating ALL mission/content with a Commendation category (or categories) and award CXP along with Skill Points and Expertise.

We already see this with Rescue Deferi Captives (Daily) which awards 10 Diplomatic CXP.

Now, we could see players earn Exploration CXP for Exploring Strange New Worlds, Military CXP for PvP, Engineering CXP for Crafting, Development CXP in the Reputation System, or even Trade CXP for buying/selling on the Exchange. I?ve often found it odd that I receive no Diplomatic CXP for any of the Diplomatic Investigations that Ambassador Jiro Sugihara sends me on.

No mission/content should have more than 3 category rewards, as I?ve seen no more than 3 categories on any one DOFF assignment. And rewards should probably be no more than 10 CXP per category much like Rescue Deferi Captives (Daily), as the main source of CXP should remain with the DOFF system.

Foundry authors could also develop content that rewards CXP for certain categories. Espionage missions, Diplomatic missions, Scientific missions. All content, of course, meeting certain guidelines to avoid possible one-click exploitation.

REPUTATION SYSTEM

Let me just say that I love the Reputation System, which gives players the ability to further develop their characters. We know that Cryptic plans to add more Reputation Tracks in the future, and one would assume that this would require players to play certain content/missions that would reward Marks exclusively for those new Reputation Tracks. And as Cryptic has already observed, this also means, players will abandon certain content within the game in order to pursue those Reputation Marks to further develop their characters. Including a small amount of Dilithium and Fleet Marks, as a reward choice, as stated above, to that content would help players and Fleets, by allowing players to continue to develop their characters through the Reputation System without having to completely abandon helping with Fleet Advancement.

An observation regarding the Reputation System and Marks:

We currently have 2 Reputation Tracks: Omega and Romulan, which require Omega Marks and Romulan Marks respectively.

?How many ?currencies? do they plan to add to this game anyway?!?

As Cryptic plans to add more Reputation Tracks in the future, it would tend to indicate that yet more "currencies" will be added in-game with every new Reputation Track added. Didn?t Cryptic try to streamline the economy once already by eliminating superfluous currencies in favor of Dilithium?

I propose that the Reputation System use one currency: Reputation Marks. All Tracks will use the same Reputation Marks, eliminating the need to keep track of a potentially endless number of different Marks for each Reputation Track added. Omega and Romulan Marks will need to be converted to Reputation Marks if this were to take place. Another reason this should done: What good will Omega and Romulan Marks be once players have maxed out those Reputation Tracks and unlocked everything in the respective stores? Surely, you don?t want players to completely abandon STFs and New Romulus once they?ve maxed out those Reputation Tracks. So what would they do with extraneous Omega and Romulan Marks?

?But what?s to stop players from exploiting that by just running Romulan missions and using the Reputation Marks earned there to level up and unlock items on the Omega Track??

Well, nothing I suppose. But to be honest, how is it an exploit? You EARNED the Reputation Marks, and the Reputation System is about developing your character. So shouldn?t you have a say in how you spend those Marks? And I?d much rather have that, than to keep track of a dozen different categories of Marks. The Reputation System has endless potential, and as I?ve already said, a potentially endless number of different Marks for each Reputation Track added, which would make the Reputation ?economy? cumbersome over the long haul. Streamlining it now would avoid a headache in the future.

DILITHIUM

There has been a lot of concern over how much Dilithium players earn in-game, and that has been addressed numerous times and in numerous ways. But players have been less concerned with how much Dilithium they EARN and more concerned with how much they can REFINE. The 8000 Dilithium per day refining cap has been the bigger hindrance for players.

?I?ve got unrefined Dilithium overflowing my cargo holds and nothing to do with it!?

For the players, perhaps add a Dilithium Mining Reputation Track that, once completed, would allow players to refine more Dilithium per day. Tier 1 +125 additional Dilithium refined per day. Tier 2 +250 additional Dilithium refined per day. Tier 3 +500 additional Dilithium refined per day. Tier 4 +1000 additional Dilithium refined per day. The Dilithium store for said Track could offer special Dilithium mining equipment that increase Dilithium rewards during the Dilithium Mining missions and events. Revamp the daily Dilithium Mining so that it would require players to actually search out the best Dilithium veins using said equipment. Each tier?s equipment would find better Dilithium sources and mine greater quantities, but each equipment tier would need to be unlocked before unlocking the next higher tier.

For the Fleets, perhaps add a Fleet Holding: Dilithium Refinery. Here unrefined Dilithium could be used to help tier up this Fleet Holding since many players seem to have more unrefined Dilithium than refined. And again, once completed, the Fleet Dilithium Refinery would allow players to refine more Dilithium per day. Tier 1 +250 additional Dilithium refined per day. Tier 2 +500 additional Dilithium refined per day. Tier 3 +1000 additional Dilithium refined per day. Perhaps special Geologist Duty Officers can be offered through here that can be used to earn bonus Dilithium during DOFF assignments, or be used in Active Ground Slots to provide a chance at bonus Dilithium during mining missions.

Between these two ideas, players could have access to an additional 2000 refined Dilithium per day once all projects are completed for a maximum of 10,000 refined Dilithium per day.

SCALING REWARD SYSTEM

I think that scaling rewards based on the gameplay of Foundry missions was an excellent way to go. So in addition to giving players reward choice for any given mission, perhaps the idea of scaled rewards can be carried over into other aspects of the game as well.

How about scaling rewards based on the difficulty level at which the mission is played? This is already done with drops being more valuable at a higher difficulty setting. Why not reward more Dilithium, Fleet Marks, Reputation Marks, etc. at higher difficulty settings?

If players accept the challenge of playing harder against more difficult odds, then the rewards for success should be all that much greater.

LOCKBOXES

?? ? ??

One final thing I would like to mention is Lockboxes. I think it?s fair to say that players have a love-hate relationship with Lockboxes. Players end up with a plethora of Lockboxes. Personally, I cannot even begin to afford all the keys I would need to open every Lockbox that I?ve accumulated thus far.

How about making Lockbox Keys a rare drop item? Say for every 10-20 Lockboxes that drop, a Lockbox Key would drop instead. Consider it the carrot to encourage the purchase of additional Lockbox Keys.

?Here?s a free Lockbox Key! Try it out! Get something good in the Lockbox? Perhaps you?d like to buy more Keys for greater rewards!?

I don?t know. It?s just a thought.

Anyway, these are some of my suggestions on how the Star Trek Online reward system might be revamped. I don?t pretend to know how all of the behind-the-scenes business of the game works. I just know what I see in-game, and what I?d like to see in-game. Perhaps all of these suggestions could work. Perhaps none of them could work. What do you think?
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Missions are fun... after about the first go around, try 10 times on the Fed and 3 on the KDF, it get's repetitive. Been here since OB yes the game has changed... slightly, mostly graphically, content not so much. Only a hand full of mission have ever been edited for "new" approach. Mostly Doomsday was redone the best... ohh Sthal still waiting on a KDF side of that mission like you mentions ohh so long ago. To quote Scotty, "I know this ship like the back of my hand". I left for about three to six months and I know the missions still.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • corbormitecorbormite Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    captw wrote: »
    Missions are fun... after about the first go around, try 10 times on the Fed and 3 on the KDF, it get's repetitive. Been here since OB yes the game has changed... slightly, mostly graphically, content not so much. Only a hand full of mission have ever been edited for "new" approach. Mostly Doomsday was redone the best... ohh Sthal still waiting on a KDF side of that mission like you mentions ohh so long ago. To quote Scotty, "I know this ship like the back of my hand". I left for about three to six months and I know the missions still.

Yeah I agree the missions can be repetitive and samey but it would take a major redevelopment of the mechanics of game to implement a more varied mission system. It's the same for every game I've played tho, from XCom to uncharted - prebuilt missions are very similar - which is why so many choose DEATHMATCH lol

Although I have limited PvP exp on STO at the moment those challenges are the way to go imho, for real variety and unpredictability.
  • jaladianjaladian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I did not read every single post in this thread. But I am frustrated with this change and just want to add my voice to the discussion.

I have played MMO's since 1994 and have played STO intermittently since open beta. And while developers have had to make unpopular decisions in all the games I have played in almost all cases it was handled better than this has been. I have seen a lot of very good suggestions posted in this thread and I really do hope some of them are considered and whatever is ultimately decided is implemented as quickly as possible.

I am in a very tiny fleet and have no interest in joining a larger fleet. I fully expected it to take years to reach the final tier of star base advancement. But with this change I do not see how we will continue to progress at all. Dilithium has rarely held up our advancement over the past months. As of late it has always been the marks to get filled last and at this moment all our fleet projects are holding on marks alone. I cant imagine we are the only small fleet in this predicament but perhaps we are due to our play style.
  • bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    moze wrote: »
    Here you have to take a look again in how the buissness works with these templates.

WoW have a big player base and that gives alot of money to work with, this gives the posibility to have more helpers to sort out these things.

Not that it shouldent be done here, but I simply thing that from the buissness end of this, its about profit. And yes that sucks, but the playerbase vs the profit in it, I belive is calculated and not thought as a gamer to a gamer would.

Just my opinion

Who is generating the profit? The playerbase. Don't upset those who foot the bill.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    how about there add a mission like the 3 pvp reward missions, e,g play any 3 stf/pvp team missions get 50 fleet mark put it on a half hour/hour cd so it does not get miss used. that way we could do it as a fleet or pug it :(

still :mad: :mad: :mad:
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • thebumblethebumble Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    ...Neverwinter is their next cash cow. And they've got D&D fanatics lining up and even now spending $60 and $200 on pre-beta founders' perk packs. It's still PWE. It's still their business policies that will apply over there. Just like many of us who lined up to play an MMO set in the Star Trek universe, these people are fresh meat for the grinder.

The house will win.

Then perhaps we should take their business practices to the interweb and let people know exactly who is running that next cash cow, and how they've run their previous ones into the ground.

I have to admit, Neverwinter looked really good, until this last patch left a bad taste in my mouth towards anything Cryptic and PWE. I've already told my friends, both online and off, to take a wait and see approach to Neverwinter before investing any money.

I just have this funny feeling low levels will be a breeze, with pre-built missions, to suck you in, then they'll hit you with the same grindfest STO has become later on at higher levels.

I'd say more, but I'm still waiting for my invite to beta for being an STO Lifetime Member. If that ever happens...
  • captshadowxvcaptshadowxv Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This game as change from when it first launch i will admit i have not been as active as i used to be since around season 5 i was here when it went live and it was fun back then even with all the bugs. Most of my friends i knew from then are now gone the fleet i am with has die out and i have no interest in changing fleets i am content to run around in my X and Vet ship.
    As for the current up roar on this thread i will agree that it is all the problems people have had for a while with the game this just happen to break the camels back. The grind is crazy here and this game is now very alt unfriendly. I would agree with the posts i have read bring the fun back and start fixing things and odds are you will make more money.
  • kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hi Captains,

I'm receiving many requests for someone to post to this thread -- as I've said elsewhere, there have been no further posts from dStahl or anyone else because there are no further updates to provide at this time. Daniel created the thread to let you know some of the "why" behind the change, and even made a few comments after that elaborating more, along with letting you know some of our plans.

If there are more updates that I can pass along, I will most certainly do so -- you have my commitment to that. You also have my commitment that I will continue reading every single post made in this thread (and I have been since it was created). I am passing along your feedback from this thread directly to the decision makers, but I have no involvement in the decision making.

Also, a few of you have made comments about moderation taken in this thread. Posts that break our forum rules will be moderated, as well as the users who posted them. I suggest everyone takes a look at our forum rules here and keep them in mind. This is a friendly warning as I would hate to see anyone banned for breaking them. It's okay to be upset, it's okay to post how much you hate the change, it's okay to feel the way you do, but it's not okay to break our forum rules. As you can tell from the many constructive, yet highly negative posts in this thread, the only posts that have been and will be moderated are those that don't follow our rules. Lastly, discussing moderation taken on the forums is against the forum rules as well. If you have a question about any moderation actions taken by the mods or myself, please reach out to me via the instructions in my forum signature.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Please do NOT give in to any whining and rage attacks in this thread. Your plans concerning Fleet marks and Dilithium MAKE SENSE!!!

Now you also have to make fleet bases viable social zones, i.e. NOT closing down their instances after you leave, causing a player to spawn at his/her last location BEFORE entering the fleet system after relogging. This causes the awesome fleet bases to be constantly deserted, even in the largest fleets!
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This game as change from when it first launch i will admit i have not been as active as i used to be since around season 5 i was here when it went live and it was fun back then even with all the bugs. Most of my friends i knew from then are now gone the fleet i am with has die out and i have no interest in changing fleets i am content to run around in my X and Vet ship.
    As for the current up roar on this thread i will agree that it is all the problems people have had for a while with the game this just happen to break the camels back. The grind is crazy here and this game is now very alt unfriendly. I would agree with the posts i have read bring the fun back and start fixing things and odds are you will make more money.

thats the thing , they dont seem that interested in fixing stuff just adding new stuff that breaks other things that was not broke before . look at the cloak issue for instance
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • gr4v1t4rgr4v1t4r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    kagasensei wrote: »
    Please do NOT give in to any whining and rage attacks in this thread. Your plans concerning Fleet marks and Dilithium MAKE SENSE!!!

Now you also have to make fleet bases viable social zones, i.e. NOT closing down their instances after you leave, causing a player to spawn at his/her last location BEFORE entering the fleet system after relogging. This causes the awesome fleet bases to be constantly deserted, even in the largest fleets!

Could you please provide any arguments as to why they make sense? Seriously, I would like to know why you think they do.
    Lost and Delirious... and Disenchanted too
    Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
    askray wrote: »
    Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Just my 2 cents but isn't it better for everyone if the game is long lasting?

And the plain fact is you don't ever have to spend a penny in STO (unless you want things immediately, stamp, stamp), there are loads of ways to make mases of dil, ec, etc. In fact the only restricting factor I've found is the 8k/day dil conversion cap - i could do 5 times tha/day - hint, hint :)

Superior features, gameplay, and customer service creates longevity in a game not artificially gated content the extend by staunching the flow of resources. Cryptic had a massive head start here. An IP with decades of history and a fanatical fanbase. Yet still they managed to flub it up. The length of this thread alone stands testament regardless of the past three years of ever festering quality issues.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • thebumblethebumble Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013

Unleash the Krakens!

I'm sure they could set aside a server for you so your starbase is always available..:rolleyes:

Lord knows, your about their only supporter on this thread. They should do something nice for you...
  • captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    please don't start a flame war, we don't need one, with how intense this topic is going. It's something that PWE and Cryptic both need to know that majority of the player base is not pleased with the game in it's current state and possible future state.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

So, the removal a large source or Fleet Marks without the promise of possibly thinking about putting in more sources in the future makes sense? Saying that characters are in need of dilithium while at the same removing dilithium rewards and keeping a stifling dilithium cap in place makes sense? Forcing people to grind the same stale content makes sense? Removing any incentive for using the Foundry makes sense?

Did I wake up in the Mirror Universe?
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • trellabortrellabor Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited February 2013

No, there are a lot of constructive posts outlining ways to make the game more enjoyable without leaving it open to exploitation and there is clearly an issue as even Mr. Stahl's own data shows this to be the case. They knowingly created the shortage of Fleet Marks. This is indefensible. It makes 0 sense whatsoever as I pointed out(and have many others) quite a few pages ago the decisions made/pointed out in Dan's post make no benefit to anyone at all, period - not even from a profit standpoint. Make a valid argument to the contrary, if you can.

I do agree Fleet bases need some sort of 'reason' to be in existence at all....maybe have 'sieges' that can take place on your Fleet's star base system, say during Wednesday, Friday or Saturday at a specific hour in the evening or something. Everyone knows it's coming so you could plan a group for it and then when it goes live you are engaging in defense of your own Fleet's base in the star base system itself. Fleet Marks can be given out along with regular drops, DIL, and maybe there could be the 'big boss' of the siege can have a chance to drop a Fleet level piece of gear at the end. The FM reward could scale based on placing, i.e. 1st is 100 FM's, 2nd is 75 FM's, 3rd 50 FM's and every other place below gets at least 25 FM's plus the DIL reward, etc...combine this with upping the rewards for the already in place Fleet events and on a weekly basis could still do really well for Fleet Marks and be playing 'in a group' for them at least until we get some better/newer instances rewarding them.
    ____
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The o3 - Killed you good
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Keep the customers happy; happy customers keep paying.
    Make the customers unhappy; unhappy customers go somewhere else.

Here is what will keep us happy:
    Forget the metrics that warn you that your year old additions to the game might be achieved this year by many gamers who worked diligently to obtain them; and instead concentrate on creating new missions and new content for us.

Eliminate the different marks - take the Omega/Romulan/FM and make just one mark.

Reduce the grind! Increase the fun!
    Every mission, including the episodes should earn marks and dilithium. You've already created some awesome missions - which can be played by a fleet (that's what my fleet does) - if you truly want us to have more and less grind - give us marks/dilithium for completing them.

In short - give us more across the game grid.

We are your customers. We are the ones spending our money for the product you produce. We are not metrics.

Improve the product and improve your income.

I agree with this.. this is what I feel STO has lost. It is just to much grind, .. I don't mind the idea of the reputation system.. but the cost are really HIGH. I struggle a lot with this. I am not to happy with grinding,.. this is not why I joined STO. I joined STO to be a Starfleet Officer and do experience a story (episodes). STF and other can be a nice side activity but should not be what STF is all about.. which it is at the moment.
  • suiksagasuiksaga Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As much as I love star trek and the memories the universe brought to me as a child and teen, this game has in many ways butchered that memory.

If it wasn't my love for the universe I might not even be playing it as I have left like many other mmos over the years that have done similar things in management(note not hte first time I have walked away from STO before).

All of them I might add ended up closing out to poor management and corporate greed in the end very much like this game is doing.
    I won't get into the details but I have seen much added since beta but outside of the once in a blue moon featured episodes added every 6 months or so most of the additions t the game have been nerfs or new grinds.

The continue desire to make this heavier in grind is just another reason I think I am going to move on for the time being, but if history is any lesson this games life span won't outlive the errors that the management and PWE of this game are taking it.

Like any other star trek fans I hate to see this game go but at the same time I am tired of the nerfs, and with the constant effort to even try to get end game gear.

To think less then two weeks ago I finally got two of my mains to join a tier 3 starbase just to have the rug pull from out of me with another nerf is about the last straw I will have for the time being .

Seeing as the game lack of content was already a issue to go and make foundry missions even far more undesirable instead of more desirable with this move is just another example of greed and forced vision overriding common sense from a happy customer standpoint.

I wish STO the best of luck but for the time being I am going to watch from the side lines to see if the developers get a hint as me logging in does nothing to make it clear me and many others like me are very unhappy.
  • zeus#0893 zeus Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    trellabor wrote: »
    No, there are a lot of constructive posts outlining ways to make the game more enjoyable without leaving it open to exploitation and there is clearly an issue as even Mr. Stahl's own data shows this to be the case. They knowingly created the shortage of Fleet Marks. This is indefensible. It makes 0 sense whatsoever as I pointed out(and have many others) quite a few pages ago the decisions made/pointed out in Dan's post make no benefit to anyone at all, period - not even from a profit standpoint. Make a valid argument to the contrary, if you can.

I do agree Fleet bases need some sort of 'reason' to be in existence at all....maybe have 'sieges' that can take place on your Fleet's star base system, say during Wednesday, Friday or Saturday at a specific hour in the evening or something. Everyone knows it's coming so you could plan a group for it and then when it goes live you are engaging in defense of your own Fleet's base in the star base system itself. Fleet Marks can be given out along with regular drops, DIL, and maybe there could be the 'big boss' of the siege can have a chance to drop a Fleet level piece of gear at the end. The FM reward could scale based on placing, i.e. 1st is 100 FM's, 2nd is 75 FM's, 3rd 50 FM's and every other place below gets at least 25 FM's plus the DIL reward, etc...combine this with upping the rewards for the already in place Fleet events and on a weekly basis could still do really well for Fleet Marks and be playing 'in a group' for them at least until we get some better/newer instances rewarding them.

What a great idea! This would help in several ways...

A) Provide an enviroment for the Fleets to have some really good PvP and get the members looking forward to some good old FUN again!

B) Provide a reason to be at the Starbases that the Fleets have spent some much time and money on.

C) Get more players interested in doing things as a Fleet that are FUN!

D) Generate interest in getting the top qear, weapons, and ships to defend your Fleet's Honor!

All of the about should give the exec's at PWE and Cryptic some insight into what their customers (aka the Players) are looking for as well as provide a new avenue to generate more profit without making it into "grinding on a farm"!

PWE/Cryptic Stop the grind, bring back the fun!

Zeus
  • deathstalker89deathstalker89 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I dont think they know how to change the game not much changed since the begin. Only real change is they made it so you had to grind your self to death to get anything . They might as well turn it back into the first year so at least you want have to kill yourself to do something.
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I dont think they know how to change the game not much changed since the begin. Only real change is they made it so you had to grind your self to death to get anything . They might as well turn it back into the first year so at least you want have to kill yourself to do something.

I liked the beginning the way it used to be. Most MMO's take much longer to get to end game. I liked it better when it took a few months to level up a character to 50 and you had to play ALL the content to progress your character. I remember having to do patrols and story and some deep space encounters to make sure my character was leveled properly as I trekked through the various sector blocks. All we do now is play through to about romulan space and now your level 50 with no need to play any further except to grind your life away on a handful of missions to further your character through obtaining commodities that the rest of storyline doesn't provide. There has to be some middle ground to put all the old content to better use.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This thread now has a dedicated hamster.
    signwidrona.png
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    REWARD CHOICE

I propose that the Reputation System use one currency: Reputation Marks. All Tracks will use the same Reputation Marks, eliminating the need to keep track of a potentially endless number of different Marks for each Reputation Track added. Omega and Romulan Marks will need to be converted to Reputation Marks if this were to take place. Another reason this should done: What good will Omega and Romulan Marks be once players have maxed out those Reputation Tracks and unlocked everything in the respective stores? Surely, you don?t want players to completely abandon STFs and New Romulus once they?ve maxed out those Reputation Tracks. So what would they do with extraneous Omega and Romulan Marks?

?But what?s to stop players from exploiting that by just running Romulan missions and using the Reputation Marks earned there to level up and unlock items on the Omega Track??

Well, nothing I suppose. But to be honest, how is it an exploit? You EARNED the Reputation Marks, and the Reputation System is about developing your character. So shouldn?t you have a say in how you spend those Marks? And I?d much rather have that, than to keep track of a dozen different categories of Marks. The Reputation System has endless potential, and as I?ve already said, a potentially endless number of different Marks for each Reputation Track added, which would make the Reputation ?economy? cumbersome over the long haul. Streamlining it now would avoid a headache in the future.

I disagree with turning reputation marks into one universal mark. They maybe called mark but they aren't really a "currency" they are more of an "experience measurement." So in order to gain special romulan skill traits this shows you've completed x number of romulan mission to obtain the requisite marks which only make sense. If you were to never run an STF why would this person obtain experience in borg skills?

As for what to do with your left over marks... they can be traded for dilithium and I propose they be traded for fleet marks as well since many of the missions you obtain the reputation related marks are from group activities.

I do like many of your other ideas but didn't copy them over because of the post length. All missions should reward an optional choice of needed commodities.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • kyuui13kyuui13 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    For all those who are convinced the game is fine I have a question for you.

Its fine that people can't slot Bridge officers, without using multiple workarounds?
    its fine to have one of the Que'd matches, have spawn issues, IE lack of spawns, Lack of respawns, Lingering mobs that normally warp out
    a Cloaking bug that has been in existence for over 2 years
    Oh and I saw a tweet from Branflakes that said to avoid using Engineering team.

These are fine?
    Next time you log in, ask yourself this.
    dastahl wrote: »
    If you can't have fun, then what is the point?
This discussion has been closed.